« Schindlers still don't know what happened to Terri | Main | Disability Coalition Opposes UK Assisted Suicide Bill »

May 8, 2006

Andrea Clark Has Passed Away

Topics: Euthanasia

We received the sad news from her sister this evening:

Andrea passed away peacefully a little before 3pm today, with her family and her friends at her bedside. We love her so very much and we are going to miss her terribly. We hope that the battle that we fought for our sister will bring to light and bear witness to the horrible acts committed in the name of ethics in hospitals across the state of Texas.

The fact that we had to fight this battle is both frightening and a sad commentary on the so-called "ethics" now being practiced in medical facilities in this state. The battle for life is a difficult one, in the best of situations, but when a family is put through what we had to go through at such a time, it is especially agonizing.

We wish so much that we could have spent more time at our sister's side, when she was living and fighting for her life, rather than having to visit our attorney's office, give interviews to radio and television stations to let the public know of the atrocity about to befall Andrea, and literally stand outside the hospital and beg them not to kill our sister. In attempting to deprive Andrea of the most basic of her human rights--life--St. Luke's Hospital managed to deprive her family and her of that which is most dear to us all, when we are faced with the death of a loved one: a proper goodbye.

How, in the name of God, anyone can call putting someone to death when they are at their most helpless and begging for their lives "ethical," we cannot imagine.

Melanie Childers

Andrea's family has been an example of strength and compassion, showing courage to speak out against legalized euthanasia as it threatened the life of their loved one. Their actions have indeed born witness "to the horrible acts committed in the name of ethics in hospitals across the state of Texas."

Thanks to all who took a stand for Andrea and valued her despite her health related struggles and the decisions of her hospital. We extend our deepest sympathies to Andrea's family and our thoughts and prayers are with those who now mourn the loss of their sister and mother.

Source: ProLifeBlogs


a href="http://www.TexasRightToLife.com">Texas Right to Life emailed this exceptional statement following Andrea Clark's death:

Andrea Clark's family announced that she had passed away Sunday about 3 pm at St. Luke's Hospital. Andrea was surrounded by her two sisters, her brother, and her son. Andrea was not in pain but had developed a severe infection, and her fragile body could no longer fight. Her new attending physician reported that Andrea's heart naturally stopped beating. Andrea received the Catholic sacrament of Last Rites on Saturday.

Even though some would have considered Andrea's life futile, her life had tremendous value--even during the last week of her life. The outpouring of love, prayers, and support for Andrea and her family galvanized activists to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. Even though her fragile body was beginning to fail, Andrea still continued to touch countless thousands across the continent.

LifeNews has also published a report.

Posted by tim at May 8, 2006 10:40 AM

Articles Related to Euthanasia:


So, what happened? I hate to ask this very personal question but did the doctors get their way and kill her like they wanted?

Posted by: Mouse at May 8, 2006 4:46 PM

Her care was tranferred to another physician on Tuesday. Alas, she was very, very sick and she died (her heart stopped) on Sunday afternoon.

But, to correct a misimpression, her doctors didn't want to kill her. The high tech care she was getting was not leading to her recovery - it was a continuous downward spiral of breathing machine, dialysis, drugs to keep her blood pressure up, blood tests, management of a very large bedsore caused by her inability to move, and attempts to manage infection and pain. She wanted to "fight" according to her sisters but (I think that) the doctors felt that the war was lost and any further treatment was inflicting pain on her without hope of recovery or improvement.

She lived less than 4 weeks from the time that the doctors asked to have her treatments stopped. The treatments were not stopped but their power to keep her alive could not overcome the natural course of her ailments.

Posted by: Mo at May 9, 2006 12:23 AM

Thanks! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Posted by: Mouse at May 9, 2006 4:59 PM