« Euthanasia: The Power To Kill | Main | Scott Thomas: cognizant and communicative, but does it matter? »

May 11, 2005

On "Thoughts on Terry Schiavo, Michael Ross and Blogging"

Topics: Commentary

As most of our regular readers already know, in addition to being the primary author at Hyscience, I also post regularly on BlogsForTerri and NewHopeBlog(and others) - so I receive trackback notifications for all three blogs. Just a few minutes ago I received notice of a post by James McGovern at "Thinking Out Loud" that had sent a trackback to BlogsForTerri on a post I had written at BFT entitled Patrick Buchanan on "The Execution of NewHopeBlogSchiavo" (still with me on this?).

Although BFT wasn't even mentioned in the post, much less linked as it should have been, James has written a good piece on bloggers and suggests that we should start talking about important matters of our time via blogging and stop complaining that things don't work or just rant about fairness. He suggests that since fairness will never truly exist for the masses we bloggers should instead use the power of technology to spread the messages(of life issues). James goes on to suggest that bloggers recruit the expertise of fellow bloggers who are IT professionals in order to get the message(s) out and believes that the IT folks would be very willing to provide the help.

While I may not agree with all of James' views, I believe that he is right on target in regard to how we bloggers that blog in favor of life issues should take advantage of available technology and the expertise of fellow bloggers that have the technical know-how to help propagate our message. During our fight to save Terri Schiavo at BlogsForTerri, I learned first hand how IT folks can help facilitate a blogs' capability to propagate the message, and I know that without such help we would not have been able to build a "blogforce" of 500 blogs in only a couple of weeks and literally build a world wide audience.

An additional theme within James' post at Thinking Out Loud is one of pro-life and anti-State sponsored execution/euthanasia. He uses the cases of Michael Ross and Terri Schiavo to make a dual point that execution is wrong because it takes a life(I agree) and that although he was convicted of a sadistic sexual assault and the murder of six women, lawyers came out of the woodwork in order to keep him alive - but not the case of Terri Schiavo, a totally innocent handicapped woman. Reading all of his post is worth your time.

Cross posted at Hyscience

Posted by richard at May 11, 2005 8:18 AM

Articles Related to Commentary:

Comments

Richard,

This is a timely article in my opinion, because I think that it is time for us bloggers to come to a decision. Are we actually going to do something about this or not. On Easter Sunday I took down the names of 30-40 people who said they were going to fight this. What has happened to us?

For my part I kept bumping into nwo and going through the "is it possible to fight" dilemma. I finally came to the conclusion that it is possible to fight this on a one on one basis, as we fought for Terri, Mae, etc. I don't think that we will overturn the nwo (but what a lovely dream), but I do think we can overturn their lies in the minds and hearts of many people simply by exposing the real reasons behind this movement. There are those who WILL be blind, but I think a lot of people will be interested to know that they have a price on their head. And I don't think they will take it too kindly.

Aside from education the real power we have is the jury. I haven't yet been able to discover the rules on when a jury is called; what circumstances allow for a jury. Since the people we are up against either change the laws or ignore them, we are in a position of having to out fox them in every battle for every life. We obviously can't count very much on the authorities to help. Nor can we necessarily count on them to honor our wishes should we come under the hammer.

That said, I believe it must be obvious to all of us that our only real hope is in God. That we need prayer and more prayer. Which is why I think our foundation must be built on our own spiritual growth and prayer warrior groups. In any exorcism there is a group of people who do nothing but pray throughout. So far we have seven people who have committed to one hour of prayer everyday. We need 17 more. And finally we do need that blog or forum for those who do want to work on this and we need to be disciplined in our work.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 11, 2005 10:26 AM

Mary,

I have done some research into what kinds of cases are entitled to a jury trial. I am by no means a legal expert, lawyer, judge, baliff or court reporter so take what I have here with a grain of salt.

Basically there are 3 instances where trial by jury is an option.

1.) Grand Jury. This is specified by the 5th amendment.
2.) Criminal trials -- 6th amendment.
3.) Civil trials -- 7th amendment.

That is all that are gurarateed by the constitution and are honored in all 50 states.

2 states (Georgia & Texas) allow jury trials for divorce proceedings.

There may be states which allow jury trials for other types of proceedings but I am not aware of them.

The bottom line is that I doubt that a jury trial was an option for the Schindlers since that was a probate matter -- I still am stunned that a *county probate* judge could have the unfettered power of life and death by decree. I also doubt that jury trials are available for other life sustaining proceedings since these do not fall into the Constitutionally authorized categories.

If there are any attorneys which can shed more light on this, please chime in.

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 11, 2005 11:18 PM

Mary et al.,

Speaking of "overturning... lies in the hearts and minds....".
I have resorted to the old "Burma Shave" method of message advertising. The Burma Shave signs were place along the highway and constituted a single thought as you read them all. I am not posting along the road, but I have two signs about Terri's death in my car's rear window: "Terri Schindler Schiavo, starved by the state of Florida because she could not hold a spoon." Then, "Giving food and water is not 'medical care'. Withholding food and water from someone who is not dying is murder". It is a fairly aggressive, but nonviolent method of teaching about euthanasia, because at every stoplight I have a captive sign reader behind me, sometimes two or three.
I think they read it most of the time. I don't watch the drivers as much as I did at first. It's not blogging, but it's something. Her death was so outrageous I refuse to remain silent.
I also use the photo of Terri and her mother which shows so clearly how responsive she was to her mother. (NPR is still calling her "PVS"; the fireman's recovery last month(?) from his state of limited consciousness rattled them; they had to clarify for all the listeners that Terri's situation was different; she was: PVS...blah, blah, blah.)

Posted by: abigail at May 12, 2005 7:50 AM

Abigail,

I remember the Burma shave ads. That's an excellent idea. What if you were to put up signs saying, "Did you know that your heart, kidneys, whatever is/are worth $X to someone?" Or, perhaps something on the lucrative practice of being a guardian. There are any number of evil intentions behind these executions which could be and should be exposed in short, pointed messages like yours.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 12, 2005 8:25 AM

Mary and everyone, we are all still speaking out, but for myself I know I am blogging less.

Though just yesterday I had an argument with my brother in law who disagreed with the Congress trying to step in and save Terri. I tried to point out all the constitutional inconsistencies that occurred in her case and WHY it was NECESSARY and CONSTITUTIONAL for them to step in the way they did. He hung up on me. So be it.

I vowed to stop complaining even over trivial things, and if people notice my acceptance of a situation, I say, "what really do I have to complain about? At least my sister wasn't starved to death and I was prevented from caring for her." I constantly think about the Schindlers and try to fathom the depth of the pain they were forced to endure and I am sad some of society is OK with that. It also puts things into perspective for me in a really brutal fashion. I have stopped being quietly pro-life and am not afraid to speak up(but not being rude about it) if someone questions my views. It's a start.

In the meantime, I am continuing to educate myself on the constitution by reading about it. Can't argue a point if you don't have the knowledge to back it up.

I am reading "Men in Black" by Mark Levin, and also read Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's book on the Bill of Rights. Not the easiest books to read but I am learning a lot. Helps also with fighting with the public schools about why a nativity CAN be allowed to be displayed during the Christmas season.

A good book to kick anyone off the fence about capital punishment is "Death of Innocents" by Helen Prejean. It makes many good points that I never even considered.

And as Mary has stated, never forget the power of prayer. Pray without ceasing...

Posted by: I hope at May 12, 2005 11:48 AM

Hi I hope,

Haven't heard from you in a long time. Good that you're back. I think soon we will have a working blog or forum up and running and we will need workers.

I was listening to Judge Roy Moore yesterday and he was telling how they kicked him off the bench. They asked him if he were still on the bench would he continue to acknowledge God. When he said he had to acknowledge God to do his job, they called him "unrepentant" and he was out of a job. Mind you, unrepentant--is satan not turning things back on Christianity? He also said that any endeavor which wasn't based on the acknowledgement of God and our dependence on Him is doomed to failure. That's why I want to get a prayer warrior group going, someone praying 24/7 for this whole enterprise and the victims of these cut throats. Would you be interested in joining the group. We need 17 more warriors. At present 11:00 to noon; 1:00 to 3:00 p.m; 8:00 to 11:00 p.m and midnight to 1:00 a.m (central) are taken.

We all really need to get upset about this again and get into action.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 12, 2005 1:59 PM

What is the time difference for Eastern Daylight Savings Time? I am trying to figure out what time I could commit to. It is a little confusing with the change in time zones, having 3 children (10, 7 and 17 mths) and working part-time evening/nights. I don't have a consistent time slot open every day. The baby naps during the afternoon so maybe 2p-3p eastern (is that 3p-4p Central time?) would work. Let me know what you think. I don't want to take a time and not be faithful to it. Having just said that, she is awake. This teething thing is making me nuts.

Posted by: I hope at May 12, 2005 11:41 PM

And it is actually 12:42 am right now. Arrgh.

Posted by: I hope at May 12, 2005 11:42 PM

And it is actually 12:42 am right now. Arrgh.

Posted by: I hope at May 12, 2005 11:42 PM

And it is actually 12:53am right now. Arrgh.

Posted by: I hope at May 12, 2005 11:53 PM

My brain is on hold, I hope, but I think that is 1:00 to 2:00 central. Someone with an operative brain help us here.

My youngest grand daughter just cut her second tooth. Hard time on baby and mom, both. Hang in there, thank God it passes.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 13, 2005 10:37 AM

Scientology – The Secret Force Behind Terri Schindler Schiavo’s Murder

For the first part of this article setting up all of these accusations email Zen Garcia at zengarcia@alltel.net. What set the agenda for Terri to be starved/dehydrated to death right in front of the world’s eyes with all of us hopelessly watching? That was the question haunting me as I returned from Not Dead Yet’s, a disability rights group, emergency action Easter Sunday outside of Woodside Hospice where Terri was on her 12th day without food and hydration. My research shocked me at first and then began to make sense to me once I began my research of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology and Dianetics.

I could not believe the existence of an order to annihilate 2.5% of the world population considered better off dead by Hubbard in one his books, The Science of Survival, Book I, Chapter 27, page 157 "The reasonable man quite ordinarily overlooks the fact that people from 2.0 down have no traffic with reason and cannot be reasoned with as one would reason with a 3.0. There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the tone scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the tone scale by un-enturbulating some of their theta by any one of the three valid processes (reeducation, isolation, or relocation).”

“The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow. Adders are safe bedmates compared to people on the lower bands of the tone scale. Not all the beauty nor the handsomeness nor artificial social value nor property can atone for the vicious damage such people do to sane men and women. The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the tone scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered.

It is not necessary to produce a world of ‘clears’ in order to have a reasonable and worthwhile social order; it is only necessary to delete those individuals who range from 2.0 down, either by processing them enough to get their tone level above the 2.0 line--a task which, indeed, is not very great, since the amount of processing in many cases might be under fifty hours, although it might also in others be in excess of two hundred--or simply quarantining them from the society. A venezuelan dictator once decided to stop leprosy. He saw that most lepers in his country were also beggars. By the simple expedient of collecting and destroying all the beggars in Venezuela an end was put to leprosy in that country.”-

Hubbard wished for, “A civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights, are the aims of Scientology.” He also claimed that “Society, the bulk of which is bent upon survival, fails or refuses to recognize death or the urge of organisms toward it. Society passes laws against murder and suicide. Society provides hospitals. Society carries such people [the disabled] on its back. And society will not hear of euthanasia or "mercy killing." (Self Analysis by L. Ron Hubbard; pg. 28) "Perhaps at some distant date only the unaberrated person will be granted civil rights before law. Perhaps the goal will be reached at some future time when only the unaberrated person can attain to and benefit from citizenship. These are desirable goals..." Dianetics; the Modern Science of Mental Health, by L. Ron Hubbard (1987 edition, p.534)- http://www.libertytothecaptives.net/scientology_and_terri_schindler_schiavo_death_connection.html

Hubbard cheers an agenda for euthanasia, does so scientology? They have the resources to fund such an agenda. They, too, have the resources to fund developing support of local city, county, state, and even federal politicians, judges, and any necessary additional persons of interest. “To understand Scientology's methods of judge tampering, one must be aware of the `sacred scripture' behind Scientology's notorious intimidation tactics. It is called The Art of War by Sun Tzu. This text, written in China more than 2,400 years ago regarding the planning of military operations, has been adopted by Scientology as a training manual for its staff. Scientology requires its intelligence division to know the text inside and out.”- http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/judge_tampering.html?FACTNet

Factnet has interviewed Jesse Prince, Scientology’s once second in command of worldwide operations before defecting. He wanted to warn the world about Scientology's covert criminal activities as decreed by Scientology's top executives and law firms. There is much available on the web about the techniques scientology uses for securing support. Much was discovered when the FBI raided Scientology’s headquarters in Clearwater in 1977 and seized thousands of documents. The raids uncovered many operations by Scientology including- Operation Snow White, an elaborate plan to infiltrate various government and business offices and destroy negative or incriminating files pertaining to Scientology and/or its founder; Operation PC Freakout, a project to present the author of a book critical of Scientology as insane and discredit her through various overt and covert illegal activities; Operation China Shop, a project to gain control of the Clearwater Sun; Project Vatican Passport, which was a series of actions designed to establish legitimacy for the United Churches of Florida, one of the assumed names used by Scientology when they first arrived in Clearwater; and Operation Tricycle, or Hubbard's Guardian Office Program Order 261175, which instructs Scientologists to work to "take control of key points of Clearwater," including the Sun and Channel 13 TV. This kind of illegal and coercive practice has led the church to be banned from many countries.

Even being banned from some countries, the Church enjoys tax-exempt status in many and takes in a huge amount of money. Take into consideration documents filed by the church with the Internal Revenue Service in 1993 as they sought tax exemption- the church counts assets of about $400 million and appears to take in nearly $300 million a year from counseling fees, book sales, investments and other sources. In a local Clearwater court case against the church, it was revealed in a 1987 credit statement for the organization listed "Estimated annual sales" of more than $90-million. The 1987 statement also listed estimated annual purchases of $13-million and an operating cost of $26-million.- http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/CoS/timeline.html

These figures only apply to the main Clearwater-based Scientology group, called the Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, not to the others based in California and abroad. Back in 1998, the "church" of Scientology generated from 1.5 to 2 million dollars of income per week! This material success enables them to maintain ownership of tens of millions of dollars worth of property (about 40 buildings) as well as many businesses:

To date, the church owns more than $50-million in Clearwater-area properties and is nearing completion of a $50-million Mediterranean Revival-style building nicknamed "Super Power." Additionally, the church now has 565 hotel rooms in and near downtown for visiting Scientologists who consider Clearwater their spiritual mecca.- http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/29/Tampabay/Scientologists_settle.shtml
There is little doubt in my mind that someone very powerful, was able to influence all the right people, guarantying Terri’s right to life would be largely ignored. If you take a look at http://home.tampabay.rr.com/sp/FLA.html a website dedicated to tracking scientology’s influence at every level of the Florida government, one finds that indeed their influence is great enough to ensure participation at their events many of Florida’s politicians, judges, and public servants. The list includes Senator Mike Fasano and Majority leader Dennis L. Jones, Representative Gus Bilikaris, Governor Jeb Bush and "Mayor (Brian Aungst), Deputy Mayor and City Commissioner of Clearwater, the Clearwater and Hillsborough County Commissioners, the Sheriff (Everett Rice) and Deputy Sheriff of Pinellas County, mayors from seven surrounding cities, a representative from the Florida State Attorney's office, two former state senators, the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (Johnnie Byrd), hundreds of local judges, attorneys, top business executives and other opinion leaders from throughout the community including Tampa City Council member Mary C. Alvarez and Hillsborough County Commissioner Ken Hagan.

George Felos and Dr. Ronald Cranford, whom George Greer relied upon for definition of PVS, are also scientologist as well as the screenwriter for ‘Million Dollar Baby’, Paul Haggis. When you study into scientology’s criminal past you learn about another woman Lisa McPherson, who as part of the church, too was starved and dehydrated to death while in the custody of church members.- http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/29/Tampabay/Scientologists_settle.shtml

While no one can say for sure whether the church is actively in pursuit of an agenda to kill the 2.5% of people not valued by their founder, what can be stated with certainty is that 22 states currently exclude nutrition and hydration from the definition of "life-sustaining procedures" that may be included or excluded by the patient's "Living Will." However, with Terri’s passing we must remain vigilant of the right-to-die push to have food and hydration considered ‘artificial’ life support. It was the right-to-die groups who started the “Living Wills” as a way to make death acceptable in certain instances. They want people to believe as “Million Dollar Baby” concludes, that one is better off dead than disabled.- http://prolife.ath.cx:8000/plae111.htm

We must really study into these things as some are starved/dehydrated against their wishes as Mae Magouirk nearly was. If it weren’t for Not Dead Yet, she may be dead now. This signifies to all of the very serious nature of what we are up against. How Judge Greer was allowed to remain as the decisive decision maker in this case when he was asked to remove himself from the case 5 times, clearly demonstrated a bias in Michael Schiavo’s drive to end Terri’s life. Perhaps, we will learn more as a result of Texas businessman Michael Bradle’s formal complaint against Judge Greer with Brooke Kennedy, executive director of Florida’s Judicial Qualifications Committee. Bradle, senior managing partner of Tejas Corporate Partners, L.P., complained of “Judge Greer’s total mishandling of the Terri Schiavo case. I am also complaining of ex parte communications and his refusal to recuse himself amid obvious conflicts of interests”. Bradle believes that a grand jury should conduct an independent investigation in the Schiavo case.

Posted by: Zen Garcia at May 13, 2005 7:39 PM

Very interesting post, Zen. Thank you.

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 14, 2005 3:17 PM

Tom--Just briefly to say (though I'm not a lawyer) that all my study into the Schiavo case and into Con. law indicates that you are quite right: A jury trial is only guaranteed for _criminal_ proceedings. In fact, the crazy thing was that they could kill Terri as cruelly as they wanted to without violating the 8th Amendment since her killing was not a _punishment_.

The truth is the Founders simply couldn't have envisaged our Brave New World. It never occurred to them to provide explicitly for the protection of the _acknowledged_ innocent against court-ordered murder in the guise of "fulfilling the person's own wishes." The closest the Constitution comes to it is the guarantee of equal protection. I can't afford to give a little dissertation here on the history of equal protection jurisprudence, but I think even many conservative legal scholars are too willing to accept the screwy direction the precedents have gone on this one. My own belief is that Congress would be within its constitutional rights to require that all states that have laws against _suicide_ must apply these laws to those who cannot feed themselves and must therefore outlaw medical dehydration on the basis of living wills. In other words, either repeal your suicide laws or protect the helpless from death by dehydration. Otherwise you are violating "equal protection" by protecting the able-bodied from suicide but not the helpless. Of course we know it isn't really suicide but murder, but it is going under the guise of carrying out the person's own wishes. I doubt Congress would pass such a law, though.

The best avenue for getting jury trials for these things would be on a state-by-state basis, not a federal level

Posted by: Lydia at May 14, 2005 4:04 PM

Lydia, agreed.

There was *no way* for the framers of the Constitution to forsee the extreme distortions which are applied today. Honestly, there isn't a document concievable by man which could withstand the machinations being applied *against* us. The states are the best hope, but with the universal usurpation of authority being asserted by the federal judiciary I wonder if even the states can withstand the onslaught.

Nevertheless, no government can long survive without the consent of the governed.

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 14, 2005 4:21 PM

I hope you are dead right about it not surviving long, Tom, and I hope we can get the info we have to enough people that they lose the consent they so far have.

The really crazy thing about all this is that it is in probate court, and the only thing that it could stem from is the word "will" in living will. This is so much insanity.

I caught that about them not having protection because of their innocence, still the due process clause SHOULD be enforced. I really think it isn't because no one has made them. It still covers this, darn it!!!

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 14, 2005 4:41 PM

Fear not, Mary... I think someone has spoken those words before me. I've read the book. We win in the end!

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 14, 2005 5:05 PM

GOOD! I can hardly wait!

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 14, 2005 5:12 PM

Wow Zen, great research work. I and two others have posted some info on scientology's involvement in Terri's death on these blogs, as well. Great reference sites, especially the site tracking scientology's influence at every level of Florida government. Make sure and check out The Title of Liberty's page on The Web of Lies about the collusion between the parties involved with Terri, where commenters have commented quite a bit regarding scientology's influence, here: http://titleofliberty.typepad.com/ttol/2005/03/the_web_of_lies.html#comments

Posted by: juleni at May 14, 2005 5:42 PM

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone. I'm just glad there are people out there that see this side of the story, as it remain mostly unreported. Mary, Thanks for all the links and info. They will greatly assist the endeavor I am hoping to accomplish with this book. If anyone has any more info or any more leads about this, or organ harvesting please let me know.

We are holding a four day rally across the state of Georgia in protest of allowing starvation dehydration to go on at all. I can't believe they could get away with murdering her on TV, burning that image to our minds and making us all feel so helpless. It was a message. A message to us all, that they think they can do what they want, even the cruelest form of torture.

Posted by: Zen Garcia at May 14, 2005 10:01 PM

The Long Road Home II

I invite individuals to join Georgia disability advocates for the Long Road Home II campaign, a 5 day rally across the state to promote support and public awareness for MiCASSA (S. 401, HR 910) – the Medicaid Community Attendant Services and Support Act and MFP (S. 528) - the Money Follows the Person Act. MiCASSA establishes a national program of community-based attendant services and supports for people with disabilities, regardless of age or disability. This bill would allow the dollars to follow the person, and allow eligible individuals, or their representatives, to choose where they would receive services and supports. Any individual who is entitled or currently in a nursing home or other institutional services would have the choice where and how these services are provided. MFP would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to provide grants to States to conduct demonstration projects that are designed to enable medicaid-eligible individuals support for appropriate and necessary long-term services in the settings of their choice, often at a cost much cheaper than the annual cost of warehousing individuals in nursing homes or institutions.

According to Steve Gold (www.stevegold.ada) Most states currently have no mechanism to determine if a person would want to stay in the community with support services such as community care or the independent care waiver. He said, “The irony is that your state could receive reimbursement for case management services to meet with each person BEFORE she or he enters the nursing home.” National data from the MDS report – 3/31/05 - (Minimum Data Set (MDS) is a comprehensive resident assessment that Medicaid-contracted nursing facilities are required to submit to the state electronically) 27% of the 1.4 million persons in nursing homes lived alone before going to a nursing home, 56% lived with other persons, and only 17% lived in another facility. The overwhelming bulk of persons go to a nursing home directly from an acute care hospital (58%) from a Rehabilitation Hospital (10%) and another 17% of persons go to nursing homes directly from their own homes.

ADAPT wants state governments to utilize the available federal case management funds to determine appropriate community services BEFORE individuals go into nursing homes especially since once a person becomes institutionalized, they usually lose their apartment and all available support systems. The Long Road Home II campaign seeks to educate the public about the nursing home, institutional bias of long term care in our country and the growing movement of acceptance toward physician assisted suicide. Since the murder of Terri Schiavo, the aging and disability populations are put increasingly at risk by prejudice dehumanizing our lives.

Take for instance the case of Georgia’s own Ora Mae Magouirk. Due to glaucoma and because she lived alone, Mae relied on her 36 year old granddaughter, Beth Gaddy, to run errands and bring her food. Days after Terri’s murder, Beth moved Mae from hospital to hospice, determined to starve and dehydrate her to death. Hospice-LaGrange accepted Mae as a patient even though she was not terminal and without verifying Gaddy’s legal authority to act on her grandmother's behalf. Beth it seems had grown weary of taking care of her grandmother, telling Mae’s brother McLeod and nephew Ken Mullinax from Alabama, "Grandmama is old and I think it is time she went home to Jesus. She has glaucoma and now this heart problem, and who would want to live with disabilities like these?"
Upon Gaddy's request, Hospice-LaGrange denied Mae normal nourishment via a nostril feeding tube or fluids via an IV. She was then sedated with morphine and ativan. In her living will, Magouirk stated that fluids and nourishment were to be withheld only if she were either comatose or "vegetative," and she was neither and yet the hospice complied with Gaddy's request. Mae endured 10 days without food or water until her story reached the internet, where upon members from national Not Dead Yet and newly organized blog site euthanasia resistance groups; pressured the situation enough that Beth was forced to yield, and allow Mae to be airlifted to the University Alabama Birmingham medical facility where she immediately received emergency food and hydration. Once stronger, Mae celebrated her new lease on life by requesting a fried chicken sandwich and a bowl of ice cream.
Her case is exemplary of a larger and more serious problem, detailed in an April 15, 2005, 29 page report released by the Robert Powell Center for Medical Ethics called “Will Your Advance Directive Be Followed?” The study asserts that, “In the wake of the Terri Schiavo case, many authorities are urging Americans to complete advance directives. Every state authorizes these legal documents, which allow a person to specify whether and under what circumstances she or he wants life-preserving medical treatment, food or fluids when no longer able to make health care decisions. However, the laws of all but ten states may allow doctors and hospitals to disregard advance directives when they call for treatment, food, or fluids. Increasingly, health care providers who consider a patient’s ‘quality of life’ too low are denying life-preserving measures against the will of patients and families – and the laws of most states provide no effective protection against this involuntary denial. The result: in most states, if you want life-saving treatment – or even food and fluids – there is no guarantee your wishes will be honored, even if you make them clear in a valid advance directive.”
In four very powerful chapters the study concludes - “1.) The Public Believes Patient and Family Choices for Life-Preserving Measures Should Be Respected, Even When Health Care Providers Disapprove, 2.) Health Care Providers Are Increasingly Denying Life-Preserving Measures In Contravention of Patient and Family Directives Choosing Them, 3.) Denial of Care as “Futile” Is Often Based on “Quality of Life” Rather than Physiological Grounds, and 4.) Most State Laws Fail to Protect Patients and Families Who Want Food, Fluids, or Life Support When Health Care Providers Deny It on Quality of Life Grounds.”
In light of this study the public must also realize that the “Living Will” is a document that was crafted by pro-euthanasia, right-to-die groups as part of a 3 step strategy to implement euthanasia in America. On August 16, 1985 USA Today released an article entitled "Living Wills 1st Step, Euthanasia Group Says" detailing their sinister plot. Derek Humphry, the Director of the Hemlock Society, said in a 1986 interview; "We have to go stage by stage, with the living will, with the power of attorney, with the withdrawal of this; we have to go stage by stage. Your side would call that the 'slippery slope'... We would say, proceed with caution; learning as we go along how to handle this very sensitive situation." What lies after the “Living Will” and subtle acceptance of certain instances of euthanasia? According to pro-euthanasia groups step 2 is physician assisted suicide which Oregon and now California already have; to be followed by step 3 Kevorkian like direct euthanasia. Dr. Leo Alexander, an expert witness at the Nuremberg trials, wrote that the crimes of the Nazis, before the gas chambers, "started from small beginnings" -- the acceptance that "there is such a thing as life not worthy to be lived." Everyone faces end of life issues aging, disability, death, dying. nobody wants to suffer needlessly nor inhumanely. How people are treated in end of life issues and quality of life issues determines how people react to the services of government programs, hospitals, and care institutions. For food and hydration to become acceptable medical treatment to be forcibly denied in certain instances is preposterous and indicative of cruel and unusual punishment that the Constitution protects even the worst criminals from. We do not even condone the treatment of animals in such ways.

How can people like myself as a quadriplegic; a state of being not highly valued by society or Hollywood as seen in Million Dollar Baby, trust any health care worker in America should my life be on the line? We need only look to Holland for a vivid glimpse of America’s future should we not challenge the implications the "Living Will” and the current push for acceptance of physician assisted suicide means to all of our lives. Dutch cardiologist Dr. Richard Fenigsen in his work “Holland Euthanasia Experience Described” informs us of how more than 40 percent of all Dutch physicians have admitted to killing one or more of their patients against their wills and how most Dutch, especially the elderly, are extremely afraid of doctors and, even more so, of hospitals.

In Holland the number of nursing homes has decreased by more than 80 percent in the last 20 years, and the life expectancy of the few healthy elderly who remain in such homes can in some cases be measured in hours.”- Human Life News 1990 Dutch citizens were forced to resort to a defensive document put out by the Sanctuary Society, entitled the "Declaration of a Will To Live," which states that they do not want to be euthanized without their knowledge. Dr Fenigsen said - These documents carried little worth with doctors who believe it their right to determine the value of their patient’s lives. What matters is not what the patient desires, but what the physicians see as beneficial to the medical profession and to society at large.

With the medical profession listening to the advice of bioethicists like Princeton’s Peter Singer, our culture is quickly losing reverence for the sanctity of life and everyday allowing the starvation/dehydration of children born with disabilities and adults considered worthless to society. Singer who champions the cause of animals claims that children are born without awareness and that "the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog, or a chimpanzee.” He advocates allowing parents and medical professionals the power to starve/dehydrate children born with severe forms of spina bifida, which, he says "can affect as many as one in 500 live births" and children born with Down's syndrome, which too is not a rare event.” Unless we confront these issues now, we may never return to a space where all life is valued, protected, and honored. We are moving from innocence to sin, for who will protect those citizens that cost more than government institutions are willing to spend. Was not government instituted to care for the public through social services and social programs?

Disability advocates want community supports which empower the individuals to live in ‘the most integrated setting’ as promised by the 1999 U.S. Supreme Court decision Olmstead vs. LC/EW. We want government to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, creating the support network that allows for the aging and disability populations to be an inclusive part of the community without first having to go through institutional care. We want a support structure which does not bankrupt families trying to aid a family member. A study published in the journal ‘Health Affairs’ estimated that medical bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans every year. Half of all U.S. bankruptcies are caused by soaring medical bills and most people sent into debt by illness are middle-class workers with health insurance. Fewer than 1 percent of all bankruptcy filings were due to credit card debt.

People with disabilities and the elderly community will always be an integral part of the collective whole. Will our country decide now certain people are not worthy of life when still returning from Iraq and Afghanistan is a whole population of severely wounded soldiers, with life-long permanently debilitating injuries. Will our country turn their backs on those who had been injured fighting for our freedoms risking their lives based on decisions made by the leadership of our country.

We must not abandon families in their most crucial time of need. We are judged as a society by how we treat the least among us. They/We and their/our families deserve the best America can offer as we give the best of ourselves to America. Long-term care must empower individuals to live the best lives that they/we can with the circumstances that they/we must deal with. We propose MiCASSA and MFP are the answers to fixing our broken system of health care management, long out dated, and long in need of repair.
Government should reflect the wishes of the people, and the wishes of the people are to live in their/our own homes. We are guaranteed equal stature and protection by the very documents our country was founded upon. We cannot allow the very institutions put into place to protect citizens to devalue and dehumanize a certain part of the populace. We want our governor and all governors to expedite their Olmstead mandates and help move people out of the institution and back into the community where they/we belong. We want the Waiting Lists for community supports to be unlocked - many for years have been waiting for assistance. Join Georgia advocates from June 19, to June 22, 2005, as we march across Georgia informing people of these important issues. They affect us all and should we get what we want, it may just save the quality of your life one day. Help us to help you.

For more information contact Cheri Johnson Mitchell at (678)755-6015.

www.endeavorfreedom.org

Posted by: Zen Garcia at May 14, 2005 10:18 PM

Zen,

As for them letting us know they think they can get away with anything, I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately they have so far. I pray that will change shortly. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 15, 2005 9:19 AM

Thanks Mary and Juleni for supporting me on this, the links you have provided will prove invaluable to my work.

Namaste

Zen

Posted by: Zen Garcia at May 15, 2005 2:47 PM

You're welcome, Zen. Stay in touch.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 15, 2005 7:27 PM