« S.A. hospital won't cut off man's life support | Main | Miracles Can Happen »

May 3, 2005

Judge George Greer Awarded for 'Professionalism' and 'Integrity'

Topics: Legal affairs

As part of Law Week, which kicks off today, West Pasco Bar Association will to the unthinkable: award Judge George Greer, 63, its Special Justice Award. An article on the event quotes Alan Scott Miller, an association member:

His professionalism and integrity was punctuated by the way he handled the Schiavo case ... He's getting this award for all of his contributions on the bench, not just the Schiavo case. It's like a lifetime achievement award for an actor.
Read the rest here. If you wish to comment, the writer of the article has conveniently included her phone number at the end of it. HT: SpiritDaily

Posted by tim at May 3, 2005 12:19 AM

Articles Related to Legal affairs:

Comments

I am VERY disgusted about this award to judge Greer!!! Professionalism, integrity, contributions ???? UGH!!!!!!!
This whole judicial system is worse than I thought. If I was in Florida, I would plan to picket this awards event.

Excuse me while I go and funnel my madness into something productive before I blow my top!
If you haven't signed the petition to impeach judge Greer here's the link.

Posted by: kay at May 3, 2005 7:43 AM

He maintained his profession's lack of integrity by murdering Terri Schindler. He's getting the award for all his contributions from the bench. This award is like a deathtime achievement award for activist judges who are contributing to the Constitution instead of defending it.

Posted by: gopchristian at May 3, 2005 9:34 AM

A LOT of people confuse simple Arrogance, Pride, & Blockheadedness with "sticking to their Integrity".
Well, it's not. It's simple Arrogance, Pride, & Blockheadeness.

What a lot of STUPID people in the world.

Posted by: Suzanne. at May 3, 2005 11:40 AM

>Read the rest here. If you wish to comment, the
>writer of the article has conveniently included her
>phone number at the end of it. HT: SpiritDaily

AND the author's e-mail address is at the TOP of the article: ldavis@tampatrib.com

Posted by: Suzanne. at May 3, 2005 11:44 AM

This judge so strongly held firm to the letter of the law in his rulings that he let absolutely nothing stand in the way of the law...not even human life. Remaining emotionally impartial in his all rulings, he was able to repeatedly uphold the death ruling without ever having to meet the doomed party in person...Such impecable objective professionalism can only be matched by machines.
Hear hear, mechanical Judge Greer !
Thank God that Jesus came into the world to rescue us all from lawfulness that is unmerciful... and to teach us that the spirit of the Law is "love for mankind"..not anihilation.
Without love, law is tyranny. This is what we learned at the bench of George Greer. This and nothing more.

Posted by: JoJoFox at May 3, 2005 12:02 PM

Let me see, the article says that it is for achievements from the bench. It seems that they have a very strange idea about what it means to have integrity:

1. "I want no one feeding that girl. She must die"

2. Sorry m'am you have not provided enough evidence that your husband is going to murder you. Perhaps if you had bruises from head to toe, but I still would not believe you.

3. Thank you for the campaign donation George and Deborah. I will remember it when I make my decisions against Theresa Schindler.

4. What did you say George? That the Schindlers are stopping you from murdering Terri?

5. Well Mike, just give me a nice fat donation and I will allow you to abuse your ward as much as you like.

I could go on and on about the abuses that have been committed from the bench at Pinellas County. Those lawyers are totally warped in their decision making. It looks as though there has to be a lot of clearing to be achieved before the USA will become the land of the just.

If you are disabled and live in Pinellas County, then you better make sure that you have an iron clad medical directive that cannot be thrown out by a whacked out unjust judge who lacks integrity.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 3, 2005 3:22 PM

Hi, guys,

For more of the same, check out Oregon State Bar and Justice 2020

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 3, 2005 6:44 PM

Maggie,

I don't at all mean to correct you, but I just had to add my own take on something you said: "If you are disabled and live in Pinellas County..." I would add "find a way to move somewhere safer!" In my opinion, the entire state of Florida is unsafe for the disabled and vulnerable.

Posted by: cw at May 3, 2005 7:05 PM

cw,

Let me take it to the next logical step. I'm not sure there is anywhere safe (except maybe Italy). That is why we must raise the alarm and do all we can to expose these things.

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 3, 2005 8:41 PM

Tom, good point. But I would even rule out Italy (maybe inside the boundaries of the Vatican, but how many people can stay there?). Afterall, Italy allows abortion. With an abortion allowed, it's acceptance of euthanasia is never far away.

Posted by: cw at May 3, 2005 10:47 PM

cw, I was half way joking and making an obscure reference to a post a week or so ago about an Italian judge who ruled that the judiciary had no business deciding to kill innocents.

Posted by: Tom Spence at May 3, 2005 10:54 PM

Tom, oops. Well, good for that judge! I hadn't heard about that.

Posted by: cw at May 4, 2005 12:05 AM

Yes, the disabled might be safer in Italy, or even a convent or monastery, but forget Florida, or even Australia (unless you can get a neurologist who will give the correct diagnosis).

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 4, 2005 2:43 AM

CW,

well moving as far as possible is the alternative.

I wonder how the senior citizens who fear the guardianship rorts of Pinellas County feel about this award.

I guess we should be pulling out all the anti lawuer jokes, especially the pearly gates type - cos all the lawyers end up in the other place.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 4, 2005 2:48 AM

I am not entirely sure the people presenting the award have a firm grasp of the term, "integrity". Now as to "professionalism", heck, even prostitutes have a snese of that.
Judge Greer sold himself to the pro-euthanasia thanatocrats (I know it's redundant...it was deliberately so).Let him get his suitable-for-framing certificate and engraved plaque. "He has his reward"

Posted by: JRob at May 4, 2005 1:13 PM

Hear, hear, Maggie - I am too tired and angered to say much more, except to offer two judge jokes and prayers that in due time God himself will recompense Judge Greer duely according to his measure of deeds upon this earth:

"At the height of a political corruption trial, the prosecuting attorney attacked a witness. "Isn't it true," he bellowed, "that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?"
The witness stared out the window as though he hadn't hear the question.

"Isn't it true that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?" the lawyer repeated.
The witness still did not respond.

Finally, the judge leaned over and said, "Sir, please answer the question."
"Oh," the startled witness said, "I thought he was talking to you."

And another one:

""The Judge admonished the witness, "Do you understand that you have sworn to tell the truth?"
"I do."
"Do you understand what will happen if you are not truthful?"
"Sure," said the witness. "My side will win."

Posted by: juleni at May 4, 2005 1:20 PM

Check out this site of information regarding possible connections to why Pinellas County might reward judge Greed - ah - Greer - for his "performance":

Posted by: juleni at May 4, 2005 1:48 PM

Protest planned at that award ceremony! Please participate if you can, and/or get the word out to other like-minded people and get blogs to link to this protest activity!

Here is a blog organizing the protest followed by my comments...

If anyone is in Florida or can attend this protest...I just received this re Greer's award...there is a protest planned.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unfortunately, according to the newspaper article I've attached to the bottom of the page, he is being honored with a very distinctive award, on Thursday night (May 5, 2005) mainly for the way he handled the Terri Schiavo case. On hearing this news, a small group of us in Tampa, Florida are organizing a protest outside of the Heritage Springs Golf and County Club in New Port Richey, FL. We are told that the ceremony will begin at 6:00 so we are recommending all Schiavo supporters to arrive around 5 with signs. All Christian radio stations in the area are being contacted. We ask that you please support us in this cause. Please tell all of your people who are in favor of impeaching Judge Greer to be there. The address is listed below, as well as the newspaper article.
Thank you very much.
Heritage Springs Golf and Country Club
11345 Robert Trent Jones Parkway
New Port Richey, FL

Also we need people to counter the PR reputation rehabilitation effort going on at the following mall…

Representatives of the association will be at Gulf View Square mall
in Port Richey offering free legal advice from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesday through Friday.

Sample confrontation with these lawyers/bar assn members who gave Greer an award…

Would you help a client murder someone?

Do you think a judge should conspire with a lawyer to do that?

Do you think judges should have ex parte discussions with people who
are trying to murder someone? Do you give a judge an award for that?

Do you think guardians should take their classes and file their legally
required regular filings?

What do you think of a judge who allows someone to completely ignore
all those rules? Do you give that judge an award for that?

Do you think that someone who has been awarded a million dollars of
therapy should be denied all therapy? Should a judge allow someone to
squander that entire award on other things? Why would you give that
judge an award?

Do you think someone should be illegally confined to a hospice if they
are not terminally ill as required by Fla law?

Do you think a patient who cannot speak for herself should ever go thru
a legal proceeding without an ad litum?

For the majority of her illness Terri was not given an ad litum or
Greer himself acted illegally as her ad litum. Do you think that was
proper?

Do you think judges who have corrupt conflicts of interests should
recuse themselves? What should happen to judges who refuse to? Should
we give them an award?

Posted by: Baldwin at May 4, 2005 2:43 PM

God be with you, Baldwin, and may the group of protesters far exceed all hope in numbers and impact.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 4, 2005 3:37 PM

Here's a lawyer joke.

Why don't sharks attack attorneys?

Professional courtesy

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 4, 2005 4:01 PM

Am I reading a sentence in this article correctly?:

"We admired his ability to sustain the pressure not to follow the law. ..."

If that is what West Pasco Bar Association said, than they're right.

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at May 4, 2005 4:51 PM

Whoa.. Everyone's gone a little overboard.. Nowhere in the world that is safe?? Gimme a break.. Talk about sensatilizing (sp?) the subject..

The Terri case was special but if you're worried that there are people out to kill you, you're making yourself too important. In addition, build a loving family that will keep you alive and make sure you marry someone who you trust..
Everything else will just fall into place if you stop worrying..

Throughout all of history, traditions slowly are eroded away but your small circle of love will be the last thing that goes.. so cherrish it and be happy!

Posted by: CriticalThinker at May 4, 2005 9:30 PM

Critical Thinker, you still have not got it about the Schiavo case or any of the other cases that are now being highlighted.

It is not about "me". It is about the pressure that is being put upon families to end the lives of their loved ones because they have suffered a serious illness and have become debilitated. Hospitals are not safe places for a lot of folk, and especially for the disabled.

I will give a big kudo to the staff at Morton Plant hospital because they did maintain their integrity, and they did report Schiavo's abuse of Terri. They did that in 2003 when he attempted to yet again prevent Terri from receiving antibiotics. One of their former doctors is amongst those who signed an affadavit about Terri's condition declaring that she was minimally conscious and not PVS as claimed by Cranford.

What you are not getting here is that a situation has arisen in Florida in particular that puts the well being of a lot of people into jeopardy. There are a lot of vulnerable people in the community. Some of them are wealthy, and some of them are not so well off. There are people, who are professional guardians who visit nursing homes looking for the vulnerable folk. The scam happens to be that the elderly or vulnerable person usually finds him or herself taken before a probate court to be declared unable to look after one's own affairs, requiring a guardian to be appointed. If the guardian is a stranger then this is bad news.

I have read of cases where the vulnerable person had given the medical authority to a relative but that power of medical authority meant nothing because of guardianship laws.

The Schindler vs. Schiavo case has highlighted a lot of the existing flaws in the system of guardianship. In this particular case the behaviour of the guardian was reprehensible. There are nursing staff, both RN and CN who have stated on affidavit that Schiavo had a certain reputation and that if any staff did not follow his orders they would get fired. Personally, I think that it is totally unacceptable that a guardian can act in that way. The fact remains that he was allowed to act that way because the probate judge did nothing to stop his abuse of his ward.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 5, 2005 3:25 AM

I can hardly believe that someone who did not uphold the Constitution of the USA is getting an award as though he has been the model of integrity. What kind of people are these lawyers?

Ok keep the lawyer jokes rolling.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 5, 2005 4:27 AM

Critical Thinker--each of us will of course try that (building a circle of love). But you are so wrong that Terri's case was "special." There are thousands of doors by which this kind of death can enter. Kate Adamson was dehydrated and starved for 8 days *against* her husband's wishes. He only got her feeding tube re-attached by proving that she could blink in response to questions and hence was conscious. Otherwise she would have died.

Hospitals are more and more unilaterally cutting off "support" they deem "futile," even against familial wishes.

Medical facilities pressure families to override previous intentions to give disabled people food and water.

Families are often deceived and confused, even when they are well-intentioned, into believing that they are just "letting a natural process take place." I think this is what happened with Beth Gaddy and Mae Magouirk.

And, finally, there are just old people all of whose near family whom they can most trust have died. Some people are alone and lonely and can't find anyone who will not dehydrate them to death. In Pima County, Arizona, such people's medical decisions when they can't make them themselves are made by a bureaucrat who has never met them. One such bureaucrat testified in court that a _majority_ of nursing home deaths in that county take place as a result of dehydration of the patients, and he admitted that he has ordered such actions.

No, it is a dangerous country. Let's not fool ourselves.

Posted by: Lydia at May 5, 2005 12:08 PM

None of these killings are an accident, nor are they about to happen to only those who have failed to provide themselves with a loving family. Terri had a loving family and a very large one when we all banded together. And that ends that arguement.

For all those who are ready to wake up and smell the coffee, this is the beginnings of genocide. It would be a far better world that we live in if CriticalThinker were only right.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 5, 2005 12:28 PM

Genocide? Nice use of loaded words and scare tactics. You should work on the propaganda team.

When it comes down to it, people die every day. If someone is slowly dying in my city, I don't think the whole city should band together and take turns keeping them alive for 10 years. It's a part of life and people should continue to live their life and make some significant contribution so the future generations can live longer. Taxpayer money used to keep people alive for over 5 years is a waste.

I have no problem with keeping someone alive if they have the money or family to keep themselves alive. If its not in their cards though, heaven is final destination. Why ask a whole city/community to sacrifice their time/life for yourself. I find it selfish. Personally, I will want my community to keep on moving alone. Billions have died.. Billions more will die.. It's all part of life..

Posted by: CriticalThinker at May 6, 2005 12:18 PM

I thought I should give Critical Thinker the benefit of the doubt myself until the last post. This poster is pure, unadulterated evil, straight out of hell. To the moderator, this poster should be banned from your board.

Posted by: dea at May 6, 2005 12:32 PM

And I wasn't going to give in to my passions, but I think I now will. Let me give you my take on Greer, and thus my belief that there are individuals in this world such as the last poster who are either blindly or blatantly in league with Satan and all of his filth loosed on earth. Who is Greer? He's the individual Who ordered every sheriff's department in Florida to enforce that which has been His usurpation of power belonging to no human being on earth, the individual Who sits His throne defying all other worldly powers, the individual Who defies and stymies the Caesar of our age, the individual who got a good night's sleep before issuing His pronouncement regarding a woman who had been dying of hunger and thirst for seven days, the individual Who was prophesied to come - who said to a woman pleading with Him for her life - no. Do you know who this individual is now? Do you know who this individual is who told a woman with the breath of God still living in her that she may not live, who told God - you may not live? I will give you a hint. Look into his eyes. Antichrist? - the antichrist? - an antichrist? Lemme just counter the argument that Greer tirelessly and diligently studied the case for years. No doubt. He'd been presented credible evidence for years now that a woman who was smiling for her mother wanted to live. Terri might just as well have sat up and said, is this guy a moron or what - I want to live. Greer says no. God gave him years now to make a decision which seems with every passing day nothing but a matter of basic, common sense any moron could understand, and he says no. Who is this Greer to take decisions belonging only to God into his own hands? I'll certainly say anti - God in a way we haven't seen for a very long time now. (And if I see Greer standing for any office higher than that which he now holds, I'll be back with a great deal more to say about him, will urge that he be stopped - BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY).

Posted by: dea at May 6, 2005 2:21 PM

I should probably just hush my mouf right now, but I've been looking for signs of life on Blogs for too long to let this go.

CriticalThinker, you definitely critisize, but I have as yet to see any sign that you think. Perhaps doing two things at once is beyond you, and if that's the case you would be far better off giving up the criticism for thinking. It is better that people think you are a fool than it is for you to open your mouth and prove they are right.

You think the word "genocide" is a scare tactic? None of the people who are meeting untimely deaths at the hands of the death mongers are being SCARED to death. Their tactics are 100% lethal. I realize that genocide means wiping out a race and it is a race that is targeted here; namely good old fashioned Christians. It is no accident that the lines are drawn pro-death and pro-life. God said, I set before you life and death, choose life then... So the ones that choose life are fighting for life, their own and others, and the ones that choose death are fighting for death, at least for others. What could their vested interest possibly be in the life of another? Why are they so militantly determined to apply their right to die to another. This is the strangest "my rights" movement I've ever seen, simply because "THEY" don't seem to be in any hurry to die, but they are certainly in an ungodly rush to see others die. Now THINK about that.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 6, 2005 4:06 PM

Critical Thinker, I agree with Mary when she says that there has not been a lot of effort going into the thinking. It seems that this is a misnomer where your username is concerned.

If you really were a critical thinker (and on a par with Benedict XVI) you would be studying the arguments on all sides. Instead of getting up in arms about the use of the word genocide, and claiming that it is over the top to use the term, you should be studying what the word "genocide" means.

When any select group is being targeted for death then that form of targeting is classified as genocide. The term is not exclusive to the Jews who died in the gas chambers. It can be applied to the disabled, elderly, mentally ill and otherwise incapacitated who lost their lives in Germany prior to the implementation of the Final Solution. It is also a term that can be applied to those Armenians who died in Turkey in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Armenians went through a slaughter that was equal in horror to that of the Jews and others. Then there is the genocide that has occurred in various African regions.

By targeting Terri Schindler, the way has been opened to allow the death of people who are elderly, disabled or mentally incapacitated. If the precedent that has been set in this case is going to be followed (and my understanding of this award is that the lawyers who are so gleeful about their small success are going to push for more deaths) then the most vulnerable members of our populations will be facing an increasing risk of an untimely early death. That is already happening in Holland and Germany.

The truth is, you do not get it because you do not want to see the wood instead of the trees.

Look, I have just suffered the loss of my sister because of the cancer of the bones. Her suffering was very heavy. She has now passed away peacefully and at least she was not in the hospital.

What happened to Terri Schindler should not have happened because she was not dying. End of story. To kill her and anyone who has a similar disability is the beginning of a genocide that is meant to get rid of anyone who is seen as an inconvenience.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 7, 2005 4:59 AM

If you want to find some interesting information about the crowd who have presented that award, Crystal Clear has done some of the groundwork on the issue. Here is the rub. This group of lawyers are all involved in guardianship, estate planning etc for the elderly. Yep, there is a connection that will get the hackles to rise. These are the very people who are ripping off the vulnerable elderly and disabled people by forcing them into becoming wards of the court. Guardians have too much power due to legislation that does nothing to protect the most vulnerable members of society.

This is the same group that goes into nursing homes looking for wealthy elderly people who have no one to look after them. These are the people who force a situation that ends up costing the most vulnerable people in our society their lives. These are the people who rip off their wards by selling their property from under them and then staff these people to death.

Of course they would think that Greer has done a good job because he has just made it easier for them to continue their rip off.

Posted by: Maggie4life at May 7, 2005 5:09 AM

Maggie, I am truly sorry for your loss. I pray you and your family will be given every comfort by our most kind God.

You've been a stout warrior here on Blogs, Maggie; thank you. And thank you for picking up the thread of genocide, for that is what is happening and we all really need to THINK about that and think deeply. The first snake in the garden may not cause too much alarm, but it should because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So you answered my question--what is their vested interest in other people's lives? Ghouls!!! It seems to me we have hit a new low in history with all this trafficing in death; this cannibalism. If we don't stand up now and say "no more" it will be too late to do anything.

That award will hang around Greer's neck like the albatross in the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Sooner or later that will be the case and for all of our sakes I pray that it happens sooner. We really must hold it up for the very shameful thing it is.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 7, 2005 7:00 AM

CriticalThinker, have you no heart?

If I would ask you one question it would be, "did you care about whether Terri lived or died? Did you care about her? (to word it differently)"

But I am not asking you. I am only saying to you that your words already say very loudly, you didn't give a care about Terri. Which makes it interesting that you are even here.

Why are you here, CriticalThinker? Are you here to try to control the conversation? Don't you know that someone trying to control, lies?

Is this the reason for lying?

Perhaps, because you are who you are, it would be better to ask, have you no mind? As the heart is of little consequence to you by your own words' revelation.

Mary is absolutely correct in saying genocide. It is what we have known for a long time. We knew it was coming, since the 70's or before...perhaps way before for some insightful people. But it has arrived. It has been going on, but it has arrived on the full scene, now through the sacrifice of a young woman named Terri. Genocide, as Maggie said, of the old, the physically disabled, the mentally disabled (who are such blessings to all of us...see the book, "The Power of the Powerless")..you have no idea, CriticalThinker of what you are missing out on in their blessing and power of love, that they have to offer in a way some who consider themselves above the rest cannot ever, ever have to offer. You see, it takes humbleness for that kind of gift, and you are not a humble person. You wish to consider them 'already dying' (which they are NOT), and so miss the great blessing which could be yours.

Sure, it is exactly that, a beginning of genocide and for the sake of money, of power, of control, of convenience. Good job, Crystal Clear on bringing that more CLEARLY to light! (I love Crystal's insights and have followed her blog...)

But those who practice this must beware, for in time, their own lives will of course also be caught in the very trap which they themselves are now setting. Does Greer actually think he will not go out in exactly the way he has set for all others? Because, yes, we all grow old. We all die. That is not to be feared, except in the case of those who believe in torturous, early death before natural death, as GREER DOES (and you CT).

And dea, yes, it is a spirit of antichrist. The Bible said that the spirit of antichrist was already in the earth; ANTI - GOD, against God and of the devil. Ready to kill, to destroy. To take life, to celebrate only onesself, to care less for others, to lack the patience to care for others, as patience is a gift of God's spirit, enjoying only one's own lusts and passions, selfish, lovers of only self, and ready to forget any or everyone who does not bring self satisfaction or pleasure. And ready to paint it all in a pretty color to pretend that it is fashionable, modern, fine, right, forward thinking and proper, when it is actually rotten, stinking, deadly and evil.

Posted by: juleni at May 7, 2005 3:15 PM

And Maggie, I am so sorry to hear of your sister's death. I pray God will comfort and keep you close right now. My heart is with you, far away, but close by prayer.

You have been so precious here, such a Godsend and a blessing to us all. We all care for you so much. I know I do.

Posted by: juleni at May 7, 2005 3:17 PM

Here, here, Juleni! The Bible says that those who set the snares for others' feet will be caught in those snares themselves. Lest people forget, God is just. I hope we can put enough heat on that albatross to make it stink mightily very soon.

Posted by: mary et. al. at May 7, 2005 4:18 PM