« TBO: "Lawmakers Refocus As Pall Lifts" | Main | Black Caucus Split on Schiavo Case »

April 4, 2005

Tom Delay Butchered in Polls

Topics: Legislative Action Items
delay.jpg
SOURCE - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's footing among his constituents has slipped drastically during the past year, and a majority of his district disapproves of how he handled the Terri Schiavo case, according to a Houston Chronicle poll.

Nearly 40 percent of the 501 voters questioned Wednesday through Friday said their opinion of the powerful Republican from Sugar Land is less favorable than last year, compared with 11 percent who said their view of him has improved.

On the Schiavo issue, DeLay has consistently said that his constituents backed his decision to lead Congress into the dispute over whether to continue nourishment to the severely brain-damaged Florida woman.

But nearly 69 percent of people in the poll, including substantial majorities of Democrats and Republicans, said they opposed the government's intervention in the long-standing family battle.

The United States was divided on the Terri Schavio issue, and that is probably the reason why Delay scored low in this poll. He was only the face of the of Terri Schavio Pro-Life campaign.

Cross Posted at The Political Teen

Posted by Ian at April 4, 2005 7:40 PM

Articles Related to Legislative Action Items:

Comments

I know nothing about DeLay, but I think he did the right thing apropos of Terri.

Anybody out there who would visit with me about the appropriateness of the judiciary in matters involving right and wrong, good and evil, life and death?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 4, 2005 7:59 PM

It would sure be nice if these poll people would ask the questions appropriately. When Michael took the case to court years ago, the government became involved. People seem to forget that the judiciary is as much a part of the government as Congress or the President.

I think Tom DeLay did the right thing and applaud him for doing it in spite of what everyone thought.

Posted by: ep4life at April 4, 2005 8:05 PM

Yup, ep, he went to court and then bellyached about the government getting into family affairs. Go figure.

Would you like to talk to me about the judiciary??

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 4, 2005 8:10 PM

Is this epalwaysonmymind?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 4, 2005 8:11 PM

What a crock! The polls that use "anyone else" as one of the candidates are notorious! No one, and I mean no one polls well against "anyone else." I really can't believe that this is being pawned off as news. On second thought, I just noticed that this was broadcast by MSNBC, it figures.

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 4, 2005 9:11 PM

I guess this leaves our legislatures one choice. They can stand up for what they truly believe in, without being stifled by being a political figure, or they can be a political figure and remain inhibited. Congress should have gotten involved IF they had truly ordered the correct thing to be done. IN that, DE NOVO was to be fully performed. Which is NOT what happened. In fact, they all should have been involved, from Congress to the President. Period!
If you aren't interested in voting for someone who tried to protect a human life, then don't vote! Doesn't bother me one bit. This was a case between a mother and father, and their child. She reacted when they went in her room. She did NOT react when Michael Schiavo went in her room. What does that tell you? Of course, he never caught on to that point.

Posted by: IMJ at April 4, 2005 9:28 PM

I recommend calling DeLays office and showing him support. His number is Ph. (202) 225-5951

Posted by: Julie at April 4, 2005 9:53 PM

Will do Julie, thank you!

Posted by: LauraB at April 4, 2005 10:20 PM

The Congress had a duty to get involved in this case. To argue that it was a private matter is nothing more than a red herring. The case ceased to be private as soon as Terri was taken to the hospital because she could not breathe.

There should be government involvement because there is a potential crime that has been committed and this has been covered up. There is collusion, plus medical and medicaid fraud.

Your government has every right to get involved when people bring false malpractice suits.

This was not a right to die issue and those who continue to characterise this case as being right to die are attempting to pull the wool over people's eyes.

The more I learn about the case, the more I can smell the stench, all the way here in Australia.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 4, 2005 10:30 PM

Well said Maggie4life

Posted by: LauraB at April 4, 2005 10:36 PM

I doubt DeLay's position re Schiavo, which I believe stems from opportunism more than anything else, has much to do with his low standing in the polls but rather he has had NUMEROUS ethics problems, and he's about to go down in flames as a result.

The Schiavo case was just something for him to divert attention from his other problems.

This guy isn't worth sweating over.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at April 4, 2005 11:24 PM

Regarding Tom DeLay, he shouldn't worry about polls. He needs to take a stand. Abraham Lincoln had a lot of detractors in his time. He is now one of our greatest Presidents. President Bush does not look at polls. (And no, that is not meant to compare Bush to Lincoln. I voted for Bush both times but I feel he could have done more. I just meant that in this modern age, Bush does not care about polls.) If Tom DeLay possibly loses his seat over this (which I doubt), he can still know that he did the right thing.

Posted by: cw at April 4, 2005 11:25 PM

I may be wrong, but I think Tom Delay was an integral part in trying to pass legislature to help save Terri. I don't think it was politically motivated. I honestly think he was sincere. I saw a picture of him when he found out Terri died and he was noticably upset and looked like he had been crying.

I wrote to him numerous times to let him know that I wanted his help in trying to save Terri.

I am not going to try to figure out why people supported Terri. I want to believe most people who did, did it out of caring just like most of us who comment here, do. We supported Terri and her parents because we saw injustice, and we wanted to rectify it.

Posted by: Sirena at April 5, 2005 11:35 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE:

DURING ELECTIONS FOR CIRCUIT JUDGE, GREER MAY NOT HAVE OFFICIALLY QUALIFIED FOR OFFICE! IF NOT, HE SHOULD NOT BE JUDGE! See the above website.

Posted by: juleni at April 5, 2005 12:10 PM

Juleni

You do dig up the juiciest bones. I guess what we have been watching was the public murder of an innocent by a blatant outlaw. I've been using the word "execution" but only the state can execute. Since Greer wasn't a member of the state, this is murder. Kavorkian can move over, he has been upstaged by greer.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 5, 2005 12:52 PM

The problem with these "polls" is they are intentionally biased and they deliberately slant the questions to achieve their answer:

Imagine if you will, a poll which asks: Should the government intervene to protect you against a family member strangling you, and then starving you to death so that you cannot tell the courts that the same person tried to kill you?

How many idiots would answer, "No, the government shouldn't intervene--let my family member strangle me and then starve me. It's a personal decision."

Well, once we move beyond the hippocracy of the "polls" (and realize the intellect of the poll respndants) we should realize that polls are irrevelant.

But on the issue of whether Tom Delay did the right thing. If he had failed to act; he would have done the wrong thing. The Courts in this great nation failed to maintain their checks and balances. It is not within the courts' pervue to dictate who lives and who dies. In this horrific case of Satanic influence over our INjustice system, BTK greer set himself up as GOD. He alone was divine and the other INjustices on the apellate courts/supreme court also failed to protect the rights of Terri Shindler.

See, the courts must ENSURE the law is obeyed. How dare the INjustices presume that the laws passed are unconstititional, or will not hold up? It is not their call--they have one single function; to ensure that criminals do not get away with breaking the laws. But our courts have gone way beyond that Constitutional jurisdiction. They have gone so far as to "interpret" the laws...

They have invented the "separation of church and state" Thus forcing God and prayer from the public schools. (and thereby inviting in all the horrors we now see in these same public/ no-Christian God allowed schools.)

They have invented a woman's right to privacy to allow abortion on demand

They have invented some constitutional right to strike down anti-sodomy laws in several states

They have invented the "right to die" to ensure that a hateful, spiteful, evil husband has the courts' order to starve his wife to death.

And then they have the audacity to become angry when the other two branches of government step in and try to align the INjustice?

There's a reason the judges wear black---they are slowly taking this country to hell faster than Michael (the Angel Michael) threw Lucifer from Heaven--all in because they have re-designed their constitutional authority and are now not only enforcing the laws, but making laws/ordering laws/and ignoring the true lawful authority.

Black robes cover black hearts---Tom Delay may lose his congressional seat, but he will not lose himself. He is a much stronger and greater person than any of those INjustices who have declared they alone are God---they alone have the right to decide who lives and who dies. They alone have the right to ignore Congress.

It all started with a small town judge from a place where Satan is reverred; judge greer set himself up higer than God. Satan attempted to set himself up higher than God. NOONE SETS THEMSELVES HIGHER THAN GOD AND WINS!!!!! We all know that Satan now has a second-rate kingdom---he will never be first. What does greer get? I think he might have dibs for a place within the second rate kingdom....And those other black-robed/black hearted Injustices? Maybe they'll join greer in his "kingdom".

And Zogby? Let's poll the people and see what they think.......

Posted by: Tress at April 5, 2005 1:04 PM

juleni:

No one seemed to care that an illegally elected judge was condemning an innocent US citizen to die...the INjustices, including the supreme court didn't give a damn.

Shows you how great our Courts are in protecting us, doesn't it?

Posted by: Tress at April 5, 2005 1:07 PM

Tress,

Love the words you put in Terri's mouth. Shows the idiocy of all of this, excuse me, insanity. Have you found the comments made about the impropriety of the justice system in this. They are under an article several articles back. Please weigh in. You too, Juleni. As for the Supreme Court I'm afraid the only hope for that body is death by starvation, dehydration and I am dead serious when I say that. It is the most truly hopeless element in this whole mess.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 5, 2005 1:26 PM

Har, har, uneducated reason.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 6, 2005 12:13 AM