« Updated - Calling Governor Rod Blagojevich | Main | "The Telegraph" covers Magouirk »

April 16, 2005

The Fight for Clara: A Battlefront Update

Topics:

I just got off the phone speaking with Pastor Guillermo Espinoza, a godly man who is doing his best to defend the life of Clara Martinez.

A few clarifications around some of the details in response to questions raised in reponse to Tim's latest report below.

It appears that the family, including the mother lives in the husband's home. Moreover, there is a "caregiver" that presumably works for the husband. In CURE's experience, it would not be surprising if she were to act as the enforcer or, at any rate, the snitch for the husband. Speculative, no doubt, but not exactly a wild guess.

Pastor Espinoza again appealed to the husband's conscience within but a few hours, but his pleas fell on death ears. A "religious" man, Martinez is hell-bent to follow his murderous course, just as Michael Schiavo was.

Accordingly it is imperative to publicize this murder in the making as widely as possible, as was done to good end in protecting the life of Mae Magouirk.

Anyone in the Chicago area should make every effort to attend the prayer rally outside the crime scene tomorrow. If you have friends or family in the area, please contact them now!

Meanwhile, CURE is working behind the scenes on legal, media, and governmental venues. Stay tuned to Blogs for Terri for critical updates and keep your readers up to date, if you have a blog.

Pray and act for Clara!

Crossposted to Life Matters!

Posted by earl at April 16, 2005 3:36 PM

Articles Related to :

Comments

I'm in Chicago, where is the crime scene? Feel free to email me, if you need to!

Posted by: Cao at April 16, 2005 4:33 PM

Earl, thank you for the update! I am not in Chicago but will pray at 3 pm central time in agreement with those praying in Chicago!

I prayed fervently today as well, thinking the prayer meeting was being held today, and surely there can't be too many prayers!

And now it also makes sense - it taking place in the husband's home and there being a 'caregiver' in place siding with the husband.

Posted by: juleni at April 16, 2005 5:15 PM

Does the husband have a court directive to starve his wife?
If not then this needs to be turned over to Law enforcement. Not that I beleve that a Court order makes it permissible to kill a helpless woman...but it could stall for time to get Clara into protective custody. Does Chicago have a Department of Human Welfare?

Posted by: JoJoFox at April 16, 2005 5:19 PM

JoJo, there is a Human Services Inspector General...this update is now posted over at the Straight up with Sherri site:

Details About CLARA!
Per Email from Tim at Pro Life Blogs

The Human Services Inspector General's office of the Governor called Jorge Medores editor of a Chicago Newspaper called "La Raza" to get the address and telephone number of Clara Martinez. They had received information about the case and are investigating.

posted by Straight Up with Sherri at 4:58 PM

Posted by: juleni at April 16, 2005 5:39 PM

Terri...Clara...sempre existirão vitimas de pessoas q naum tem o compromisso com a vida...
Fazer o q..né? Lutar pra mudar isso!

Posted by: Regbarreto at April 16, 2005 7:03 PM

Reqbarreto, could you please find someone to translate for you?

I think this is Portugese. Here's my best effort at translating but please let me know if I have it right.

Terri...Clara...exist ('vitamas') of people always having the commitment with life....
To make the (q?)..no? Fight to change this!

But we need a bit more English help here....

Posted by: juleni at April 16, 2005 7:56 PM

My dear wife, Sonia, is Brazilian and speaks Portuguese. A translation follows that captures the writer's meaning:

Terri...Clara, there have always been people who do not care about life...

What can we do? Let's fight to change this!

To Regbarreto, CURE says:

Nos concordamos com voce. Mas se nao lutarmos por isso, nos seremos culpados tambem.

We agree with you. If we do not fight this, we are guilty too.

Muito obrigado, Brasil!

Many thanks, Brazil!

Earl E. Appleby, Jr.
Director, Citizens United Resisting Euthanasia (CURE)

Posted by: Earl Appleby at April 16, 2005 10:12 PM

Reqbarreto,

Well said.

Muito obrigado, America!

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 16, 2005 11:17 PM

Earl,

I got your Cure package. Thank you. In there it made mention of the dangers of being an organ donor. My son in law's mother was an organ donor. She went in for minor surgery, went into a coma and was harvested a few days later. I told him he ought to sue them for all they were worth and more, because the whole thing was fishier than a tuna factory. By the time I got done growling about it, my daughter withdrew her organ donor status. At the time I knew nothing about what you guys have discovered, buuut it doesn't take a rocket scientist, does it?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 16, 2005 11:19 PM

I just saw the local news. The Chicago police came in to check on her and she is temporarily receiving food. The feeding tube was never removed. She was just not given the nutrients.

She has no living will. Suffered a stroke about a year and a half ago and was in a hospice at one point.

Posted by: Julie at April 16, 2005 11:20 PM

Julie
'
If You go to StraightUpwithSherri you will see that the police did not see Clara and the report that she is temporarlly eating is not valid.....again it is a MSM "misrepresentaion of the facts" and after Terri's ordeal...it should surprize no one.!
How can professional people screw up as much as reporters do and get away with it???????

Posted by: JoJoFox at April 17, 2005 8:18 AM

Yeah, and then people talk about how unreliable blogs are. I actually saw someone commenting on a blog say, apropos of Mae's case, "Don't believe anything like this unless you see it on a reputable source like NBC News." Huh? I wish he'd said CBS. :-)

Truth is, the distributive journalism going on here at Blogsfor Terri is extremely high quality.

Earl, I understand CURE is giving the family of Clara some resources to work on as far as legal options. Are you not supposed to fill us in on the details of these for strategic reasons? I could understand that if so.

Mary--I meant at one point to say something about the dangers of organ donation. It's one of my peeves as far as "things not to say in a living will."

Posted by: Lydia at April 17, 2005 3:36 PM

So,this is where everyone is. Where HAVE all the bloggers gone? Great news about Clara. There are so many fronts to cover, but don't you know, the fact that Mae and Clara did eventually get help tells us something about Pinellas County. I think that if we can hold the road now we stand a better chance of cleaning up that viper's nest. If we fail and it begins to grow...I don't want to think about it.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 17, 2005 4:48 PM