« Lethal Injection - Dignified or Cruel? | Main | A Happy Ending? »

April 14, 2005

Schiavo DCF Documents To Be Released

Topics: Legal affairs

Judge George Greer has ordered the release of the nine abuse reports related to Terri Schiavo furnished by the Department of Children and Families. Greer writes, "Public access to the abuse reports will shed light on the investigation and handling of previous allegations made between 2001 and 2004 and whether they differed significantly from the latest investigations in which the DCF attempted to intervene in the guardianship."

Although privacy concerns apparently were an issue in the past, especially related to Terri Schiavo's medical condition, Greer states, "The Court does find that any privacy interest remains in her medical condition, diagnosis or test results."

Similarly, the case of guardianship assests the public interest were found to outweight privacy concerns.

Greers order has been posted here.

HT: Pat Campbell

Update- I received this in an email this morning:

You'll notice that the judge has ordered the release of NINE reports, not the current reports of investigations that are still open. The ones being released are only those previous reports that were deemed unfounded. Selective disclosure.

In marketing, you establish an interest or curiosity ahead of the sale. That way, when the salesperson comes calling, the prospect is predisposition to like what they hear. This is the marketing side. The medical examiner's report will be the sales side. It's all an effort to sell the public on the idea that there was never anything wrong with the mistreatment Terri was a victim to.

But, one look at Terri Schiavo could tell you that's anything but the truth. Being held in a single room and losing five of your teeth because of neglect certainly doesn't sell me on the idea that there was 'nothing wrong'. But, don't ask questions. Just buy

Posted by tim at April 14, 2005 10:14 PM

Articles Related to Legal affairs:

Comments

I still want Greer in prison. Right next to Michael Schiavo. He abused his position in rejecting out of hand Terri's own testimony that she wanted to live, and sentenced her to die anyway. Not just to die, but an Auschwitz-style death. This was a crime against humanity.

She was no criminal. But HE is.

Posted by: Suzanne. at April 15, 2005 11:08 AM

What - is Greer doing this in the hopes of avoiding responsibility or accountability for the murder of Terri (complicity in murder)?

I don't trust Greer one bit.

Posted by: juleni at April 15, 2005 12:33 PM

"It orders DCF to redact certain information and release the documents by Monday."

Why redact certain information?....I need to look at the order itself. Release the info, but not all of it? Is he trying to control what comes out?

Still will never trust him.

Posted by: juleni at April 15, 2005 12:39 PM

It's about time that Judge Greer considers and acts on Terri Schiavo's rights and the public interest without further delay. Now, the general public and we who are interested in protecting the rights of the disabled and abused will receive important information for serious fact-finding and judgment.

Now, we become judge and jury in the interest of questioning the application and misapplication of laws meant to protect all people within the U.S., including the extremely vulnerable. Our government institutions must be held accountable for their actions, inactions, and misconduct.

Yesterday, I asked in my blog when the medical examiner's reports will be released, as promised by Michael Schiavo and the medical examiner. The earlier the reports are released, the better for public interest and our ability to preserve and insist on Terri's right to receive justice.

By either sealing the reports from the public or by prolonging the withholding of information regarding Terri Schiavo's physical condition, neurological status, cause of death and any other unusual findings, the state would be covering up the deliberate killing of Terri Schiavo and its euthanasia bias. We must not let that happen.

Posted by: Carol at April 15, 2005 6:42 PM

Either:

A) Greer has been ordered to release them.
B) They don't contain anything 'incriminating'
C) Greer has had a spiritual awakening

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at April 15, 2005 8:37 PM

The one and only tought I had after reading this is since Greer now thinks it's good to release these records, Felos and other killers must have doctored them pretty good by now. I don't trust them and would bet my life that there won't be anything incriminating in them.

Posted by: Marine Momma at April 15, 2005 9:32 PM

From today's New YOrk Times:

tate investigators in Florida have found no clear evidence that Terri Schiavo was denied rehabilitation, neglected or otherwise abused, according to documents released yesterday by the state's Department of Children and Families.

The agency completed nine reports of abuse accusations made from 2001 to 2004, including neglect of hygiene, denial of dental care, poisoning and physical harm. The accusations, which have been widely reported, focus on Michael Schiavo, the husband of Terri. Ms. Schiavo died on March 30, nearly two weeks after her feeding tube was removed.

____

The operative word here is "clear." Also these reports cover the years 2001 to 2004, and therefore I don't believe these reports answer any questions regarding Terri or Michael's tender loving care.

I wouldn't hang much hope on the autopsy, either.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at April 15, 2005 11:07 PM

I have read several of the articles, this morning, like the one posted above by Susan Nunes and I am so angry. Is there not any way to fight the media and Judge Greer in this case? I have written countless emails to different media outlets over the past month, in reference to, different reports that overwhelmingly support Michael Schiavo, knowing that it will do no good. It's just so frustating to me and so obvious who is really playing politics here. It was obvious to me after George Felo's news conference, before Terri died, stating that he and Michael had asked that an autopsy be done, that something, like what is being reported concerning the abuse charges, was going on. Even though Felos was lying about them requesting that an autopsy be done, he seemed too anxious to have it done. Anyway, a couple of days later, we heard that the Medical Examiner of Pinellas Co. denied the Schindler's request for them to have their own ME observe during the autopsy. After that I knew that the results were going to come out in Michael's favor. How is he, Felos, Judge Greer and all of the others involved in this case getting away with all of this. Even the DCF is involved in this cover up, in my opinion, and the media continues to help there effort. Will any of this corruption ever come out? I just can't imagine how the Schindler's are feeling right now. One of the articles I read was from the St. Petersburg Times. I know that as a Christian, I should not want revenge on anyone, but I am just so angry at all of the lies being told about Terri, and I want someone to be held accountable and some of this corruption exposed, but its not looking good. After the autopsy comes out, backing up everything that Michael and his lawyer have been saying all along, then its going to be next to impossible to get the truth out. Tom DeLay seems to be the only one with any authority to start an investigation, that hasn't just turned their back on this case. Even Govenor Bush is not doing anything to my knowledge, and I believe that he is one of the only ones that knows the real truth about this case. The American people sure don't know the truth because of the media and the bogus polls. Why hasn't anyone reported on the recent Zogby poll that asked questions relating more specifically to Terri's case, that showed a large majority of American people agreed that Terri's feeding tube should not have been removed and that they felt that it was a good thing for Congress to get involved. It's just not fair and I don't know what to do from here, other than continue to dispute every article printed, just about, on this case, and continue to write the Governor, the President, members of Congress and the Senate to request a thorough investigation. Any suggestions, I can't get Terri and her family off of my mind.

Posted by: Becka at April 16, 2005 6:44 AM

My sentiments almost mirror what the prior comment reads, as posted by Becka. I agree. I am in such frustration, and feel such restlessness that the media, and all higher authoritative figures are swayed by the corrupted forces of Michael Schiavo and Co. I pray for the truth (not the "truth") to be released in due time. For the sake of Terri, for the sake of her family, for the sake of an overdue justice.

I, too, have written to the media and presented information regarding the absolute conspiracy, deception, and abuse that should have been widely released to the public prior to her cruel murder. It should have been, at the very least, reported afterward. But as of now, there has been no distinguishable response. I speak to anyone who will listen, trying to lift the thickening veil that seems to be distorting their perceptions of what this situation has really been about. It seems an evil cloud truly looms over this country.

Passionately, I am continuing my personal efforts to keep Terri's case open and investigated. I am more than thankful for this website, and the community surrounding it, as well as inside it. As a society... as people who care, we cannot allow this situation of unbelievable pain, and a grossly disheartening, embarrassing inhumanity fade away--as the controlled media already seems to have done. We must fight, even if it becomes increasingly uphill, with more and more obstacles. There is a deformed, malicious virus infecting our nation! And as our fight turns toward helping other innocent victims trapped in a similar whirlwind; the ill among us with no voice, we must still keep Terri's spirit alive and pushing us toward truth. We must be refreshed to her sufferings and the cause. I feel, she is safe from physical harm now, though still without peace. There is much unfinished business, and may we all be awake enough to partake in achieving it in her honor. My heart and soul await justice for Terri, however God see it to pass.

Posted by: Liz Jordan at April 16, 2005 9:34 AM

Dear Becka, thank you for saying it all. I am with you. And Liz, that was beautifully said. I think I will save your comments in Word for posting later as time goes by and your words continue to be needed. I will give credit to each of you, when I use your words.

Posted by: juleni at April 16, 2005 10:46 AM

This release really proves nothing. As has already been pointed out, therse were the reports that were already known. Besides, somewhere today you will be able to find the obituary of a child killed by abuse and/or neglect. Somewhere in the accompanying news article will be something to the effect that protective services had previously investigated and found nothing wrong.

Posted by: JRob at April 19, 2005 9:35 AM