« Public Service Announcement: Disabled Baby in Need of Adoption - URGENT! (UPDATED) | Main | Magouirk's Family Denied Access »

April 11, 2005

Pravda: Terri is Gone, I hope liberals are happy

Topics: Commentary

I found this article by Steve Darnell in the Russian online publication, PRAVDA.Ru. Let it not be said that the life and death of Terri Schiavo hasn't affected the entire world. Although this article is particularly critical of the Democratic party, let's remember that there were a number of Republicans that also failed Terri and supported the culture of death. Our job is to make sure that regardless of one's political affiliation, if they don't support the sanctity and importance of every life, then we need to see to it that they don't get a second opportunity to support the culture of death.

- Pravda
Terri Schiavo died after thirteen days of state sponsored "compassionate" starvation. Terri's struggle for life morphed into a struggle between good and evil.

In one corner, the good: Republicans and Pro-Life Christian conservatives fighting an impossible uphill battle to save Terri's life. In the other corner, the evil: Democrats and other liberal Bush hating groups, gleefully wringing their hands together like Dr. Jack Kevorkian, eagerly awaiting Schiavo's death.

In the middle of this life and death battle stood the corrupt referee: The Judicial Branch of our government, whose ruling ultimately sealed Terri's fate and will no doubt change the outcome of all future life or death battles of this kind.

(...) At least some good has come out of all this. Terri Schiavo's death has proven one thing: The Democrat Party is the party of death. From abortion rights, to right for life battles, liberals always seem to be on the side of death, even though they claim to be the protector of the people.

(...) I think the Rev. Frank Pavone, a Roman Catholic priest who spoke to the press after hearing of Terri's death, summed things up pretty well. He said, "This is not only a death, with all the sadness that brings, but this is a killing, and for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this and we pray that it will never happen again."

(...) I hope liberals enjoy their gleeful death party while toasting the murder of Terri because I think this will be their last victory celebration. The Party of Death is soon to be extinct.

More ...

On the matter of Steve Darnell's comment about "the party of death," let's not forget that in reality the "party" of death, is not just a single political party but rather a culture - comprised of certain liberal Republicans and certain liberal Democrats, but not all liberal Republicans and Democrats. Let's remember that liberals from both parties joined with conservatives to fight for Terri Schiavo's right to live.

So we need to continue to seek common ground between us and join together, liberals and conservatives from both major parties, in a joint effort to beat back the previously emerging culture of death in America.

cross posted at Hyscience

Posted by richard at April 11, 2005 12:09 PM

Articles Related to Commentary:

Comments

I am sick and tired TO DEATH of the so-called "right wing wackos" spewing forth the ludicrous and unsupported notion that they have cornered the market on morality. NOT SO and I do believe that a number of examples of readily availabe facts (from current events) would sufficiently prove that "they" have failed to promote good and have fallen from grace by participating in evil acts.

By posting this crap it seems apparent that this blog is more interested in promoting extreme differences and maintaining unproductive arguments instead of actually doing the work of activists and advocates!

Your US and THEM mentallity is grossly offensive and puerile!

Posted by: that woman at April 11, 2005 1:19 PM

Too simplistic. I read the entire column and he doesn't mention what Nat Hentoff has mentioned time and again in his columns about the Schiavo story: Virtually every disability rights organization has opposed what was done to Terri Schiavo. Now the disabled count among the groups of people on the liberal's laundry list of politically correct people they claim to represent, except when a family member wants to starve an unwanted disabled family member to death.

Darnell writes that "In the middle of this life and death battle stood the corrupt referee: The Judicial Branch of our government...". The judiciary wasn't a referee in this matter, but rather Michael Schiavo's collaborator in the killing off of his wife. If killing people like Terri Schiavo wasn't morally problematic, then Michael Schiavo would have just removed her from the hospice and killed her in his home. But if he did that, he would most likely end up getting investigated and charged with murder. Hence, you see people like Michael Schiavo running for the cover of a judge's order to do away with an unwanted disabled family member. Not only that, but somebody like Michael Schiavo must seek out the opinions men and women in white coats to provide what he did to Terri with medical legitimacy, plus the peddlers of this intellectual bilge called "bioethics." Also, this is why you see somebody like Terri getting starved to death in a hospice.

Posted by: Rick J. G. at April 11, 2005 1:41 PM

that women:

I disagree.

Did you read the whole post?

If you did, you should have discovered that the post does point out that there are BOTH liberals and conservatives who did stand up for life in Terri's case.

I do think that this is important to point out... For example, half the Congressional Black Caucus was in favor of not pulling Terri's feeding tube. Other Democrats in favor of life for Terry included Rep. Chet Edwards (Texas), James Oberstar of Minnesota, Dale Kildee of Michigan and Jose Serrano of New York.

Other famous Liberals for Terri included Ralph Nader and village voice columnist Nat Hentoff.

However, if you were to make a list of conservative republicans for/against life for Terror. And another list of liberal democrats for/against Terri... you'd find that the percentages for conservative Republicans for life is dramatically higher. This is not opinion. This is fact. If you run the same number regarding the abortion issue, the percentage spread gets dramatically even MORE higher.

Finally, why don't you put your energy into getting the Democrat party to expend its tent and allow more than a tiny handful of token pro-life candidates into their fold?

Posted by: Rob McEwen at April 11, 2005 1:45 PM

Rob, The problem for me is that the Pravda article was posted AT ALL. Also, as I said above I DO NOT believe that so-called "pro-lifer's" have cornered the market on morality, as so it is pointless to ask me to promote "their" version of morality on others. Further, I believe that the agenda that involves replacing one decision maker with another is faulty and dangerous. I prefer to put efforts into teaching individuals how to effectively solve their own problems instead of relying on some "authority" to make decisions for them. So many people just don't have these skills and they busy themselves chanting "tell me my opinion, tell me my opinion". THAT is where the danger is in our society and YOU simply want to replace one authority for another which will ONLY continue to empower the rulers instead of empowering the people.

Posted by: that woman at April 11, 2005 3:19 PM

That Woman,

the Pravda article is the perception of one man. I cannot see why you are making such a federal case over it being posted.

We know that there are both liberals and conservatives who are against what happened to Terri Schindler. We do not need to get into the party or religious politics. There are enough jerks out there who are posting to various site claiming that anyone who supports the Schindler family are right wing religious nuts.

My point here is that there is an overall public perception that the left wing liberals are totally anti-life in all of these situations. If this perception is not correct, then you have to find a way of changing that perception. The only way that you can do it, is by seeking to influence others that you know on the liberal side of politics to look at the facts and to examine all of the issues as they are or were presented.

As an outsider (Australian) I have a deep admiration for all the politicians in both parties who attempted to change a very unjust and undemocratic decision process. I have no respect for those judges who refused to acknowledge that the disabled have rights.

What really screwed the Schindlers was in fact the incompetence of Patricia Campbell. Through her opening statement in saying that "the family agrees that Terri is PVS", or words to that effect, Theresa Schindler's fate was sealed. At the same time, I think that it was already sealed because of some back room deal involving collusion between Schivao, Felos, Greer and others who were so interested in getting the outcome of Theresa's death.

Just remember those chilling words: "We do not know what Theresa wants, IT IS WHAT WE WANT" as stated by Michael Schiavo on Larry King Show 2005. That chilling statement shows more about the extraordinary lengths that were taken in order to ensure that this abusive execution took place.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 11, 2005 6:04 PM

I agree with that woman, replacing left-wing lunatic pro-death'ers with right-wing lunatic pro-lifer's is ridiculous. Less laws must be made and more emphasis on family upbringing. Regulations and laws only take liberty away from people. The only reason I disagreed slightly with the Terri case was that "family" was in disagreement, but if both husband and parents agreed that Terri doesn't want to be on life support, then that is a family matter and others should just focus on their own families or careers. And if they feel the need to tell other families what to do, then obviously they don't have a family of their own (and should look into it) or stop being a control freak of their own family and others.

Posted by: CriticalThinker at April 11, 2005 6:14 PM

Maggie4life, Yes, of course the Pravda thing is one man's opinion, but it was posted here by this blog for a purpose. That purpose MUST be to cause dissention and to offend and to obscure. I am STRONGLY opposed to each of those objectives and absent one of those objectives, what's the point? Is there nothing else worth discussing?

There were other mistakes of law made in Terri's case, other than those made by Greer. Also, you are correct, I believe this too, that there were also mistakes in advocacy of the case. I have said this from the begining, long before the thousands ever heard the name Terri Schiavo-Schindler. One thing I can say for democrat activists is that when they take up a cause they get things done. In Terri's case, from the beginning there were opportunists, perhaps with good intentions, that polarized "sides" such as so-called "right to life" verses so-called "liberals" so much so that for this alone the cause could not be won in a public forum. All that was left was to fight in a private forum, in the courts, where the so-called "right to life" side found that they did not have all the power they wished for.

But in my view, they should not be wishing for more government power. That is not America. They should be teaching people personal responsibility, which means being your brother's keeper. Not judging him, but helping him when he needs help and giving the help he needs. This is a balancing act indeed.

That is not to say that I was against the actions of Congress, the President or the FL officials. But I cannot fault them, really, for failing to take their intervention to the next level. I believe they could have and I would have been happy with that result. However, ultimately, the solutions for the problems in our country are really in our hands not theirs.

This relates to another point I have been sharing, that people tend to rely on authority too much and as a result are paralyzed and unable to act on their own behalf when the moment arrives. This is both wrong and dangerous. I just don't know what more I can say about this because it seems obvious I am reasoning with the wind.

Posted by: that woman at April 11, 2005 6:27 PM

I agree with that woman. I'm concerned with the increase of posts showing up that could have come straight from a talking point memo on things that shouldn't be politicized. Posts blaming liberals despite this occuring in a state with a Republican Governor and a Republican Judge aren't just it, it's the pointless things like the post to sign a petition to ignore Tom Delay's previous ethical violations, or the one trying to say that the memo wasn't a Republican memo despite it being sent by a Republican staffer among Republican reps.

I'm just concerned we could take the path to be a Swift Boat Vets for Truth-type affair that starts with one issue and is hijacked to be an attack group for party platform.

Posted by: DimeStore at April 12, 2005 8:38 PM

CriticalThinker, I think we have to be careful in saying that if Terri's parents had agreed with Michael Schiavo then it would have been okay to do what has been done. I think it is always immoral to starve and dehydrate someone, especially someone who is not terminal, but I would have a problem doing that to someone who is terminal as well. If they truly are terminal, then you don't need to starve them. They will die from their condition even with food and hydration. The only difference it would have made if the Schindler's had agreed with Michael Schiavo is that it wouldn't have become a 'story'. It still wouldn't have made it legal or moral, in my opinion. Feeding isn't life support, it's feeding. And I think the recent laws that include feeding as medical care need to be changed.

Posted by: Eyes Wide Open at April 16, 2005 11:27 AM