« According To Zogby Poll - Americans Appear To Have Been Misled About Terri Schiavo's Condition (Updated) | Main | Terri Memo »

April 7, 2005

Email all media outlets about Mae Magourik's situation

Topics: Action Items

Cross-posted on Powers That Blog.

A good place to start with helping Mae Margourik would be to contact the media outlets to get her story publicized, especially targeting media personalities who tried to help Terri. Here is a link to a huge number of email addresses posted earlier. This same list is also posted somewhere on BFT, but I don't have the link right now.

I'm sure contact information on the relevant law makers, judges, etc. will also be forthcoming, so stay tuned...

UPDATE: Sherri has an update here.

Posted by powersthatblog at April 7, 2005 10:14 AM

Articles Related to Action Items:

Comments

Perhaps we can try here to help:

shcfcu@gbi.state.ga.us

The State Health Care Fraud Control Unit effectively investigates and successfully prosecutes Medicaid funded doctors, dentists, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care providers that treat Medicaid recipients. The SHCFCU investigates criminal abuse and neglect of residents in Nursing Homes and Personal Care Homes that receive Medicaid funding.

Posted by: I hope at April 7, 2005 12:30 PM

Georgia State Health care fraud unit contact Contact Information

Address:
2100 East Exchange Place
Building 1, Suite 200
Tucker, Georgia 30084-5336

Phone:(770) 414-3640
or Outside Atlanta: 1-800-508-9109
Fax: (770) 414-3660

Email:
shcfcu@gbi.state.ga.us

Hours:Monday thru Friday, 8:30AM - 5:00PM

fo:

Posted by: I hope at April 7, 2005 12:33 PM

Spoke to Agent Keyser at above agency, they will only get involved if it is long term care, (remember, Terri was warehoused in Hospice for FIVE years) medicaid fraud (not sure if she is on medicaid) or if it is patient abuse. Since he "doesn't have a dog in the fight" they will not get involved. (yet?)

Not sure why starving a patient is NOT considered patient abuse, but he suggested contacting the attorneys involved, the judge and the next of kin. Running in circles.....!

Posted by: I hope at April 7, 2005 12:50 PM

This is unbelievable. It must feel horrible knowing that even your family would rather have your money than you. How long has she been without water? Since she's elderly, her kidneys are probably already running at much less than a healthy person (my mom at 75 has about 40% kidney function ...on a good day). If she's been without water for 3-5 days already, we're probably already too late to the scene.

There appear to be so many ways for agencies to absolve themselves of responsiblity. Yet I wonder how the individuals that make up these agencies can sleep at night. Fer cryin out loud, if the family wants to steal her money, why dont' they just off her will a gun? At least it'd be fast and not filled with suffering. Why in the world do we live in a culture that can't see the murder and theft because it's done via passive euthanasia instead of the more obvious get a gun and kill grandma?

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 1:09 PM

I sure hope Ms. Magourik's true next of kin have real bulldogs for attorneys. Personally, I think it would be more useful for us bloggers to know if there is a Magourik legal fund we can publicise and contribute to, or a pro-life pro-bono law firm we can pursuade to take this on. Putting Sean Hannity and all those TV cameras on the scene for days, and blitzing our executives and legislators, didn't do a d*mn thing for Terri.

This time I'd personally rather contribute to direct action via swift effective bulldog legal counsel, to file direct police reports and criminal complaints, and none of this pantywaiste leaving it to agencies to decide whether to look into it.

How long has this woman been suffering, and are her true next of kin allowed to feed her by mouth? First and foremost, NEVER ask a court's "permission" to feed her by mouth. Just DO IT, seize the "status quo", and make them make you stop.

Posted by: Suzanne. at April 7, 2005 1:37 PM

HOW NICE!

I have called Saxby Chambliss' offices in Macon AND in Wahington. They are NO HELP! "too late for Legislation on this." "everybody's concern is urgent, blah blah blah!" If I am not a TOTAL LUMP ON A LOG- SAXBY WOULD WANT TO KNOW- AND WANT TO ACT!

TICKED I AM!

I called Governor Sonny Purdue's office- "Nothing we can do."

LOVIN' IT!

So Terri's case has taught us that people CAN KILL- and NOTHING CAN BE DONE?

I WILL CHANGE THIS IF IT IS THE LAST THING I DO!!!

Posted by: Straight Up with Sherri at April 7, 2005 2:11 PM

Sherri,CeCe and Suzanne,

Good points all. This is exactly why I want to start something different, something outside the existing system. I've been talking for days trying to get people to get this started and a few people have wandered in and out. Can't seem to get a real action group together, here. And now I won't be able to be on this much for a few days, which leaves it in someone else's hands. the brainstorming we've done so far is under the next article or two down from this one and under Lawmakers Refocus as Pall Lifts. Give it hand up, please, unless you'd really rather keep calling on the "my hands are tied" bunch.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 7, 2005 3:45 PM

This case just proves that the rallying cry "We must all have living wills!" was a bunch of malarky. If someone wants you dead badly enough, they will do everything they can to see it done.

Posted by: JIHC at April 7, 2005 3:48 PM

The reason why politicians won't get involved IMHO is because of the fall out of Terri's case.

I am going to highly recommend people video tape their living wills and leave it with loved ones you trust. A judge can not deny a video tape without losing their bench.

Posted by: Julie at April 7, 2005 3:51 PM

Some new information I received, the grandmother and granddaughter had a "falling out" because the granddaughter did not want to run errands for her grandmother. It was posted on the original site...but I justchecked and it is gone...

I have emailed or called as I can througout the day...any other thoughts on what we can do?!?!?!

Posted by: Pam_T at April 7, 2005 3:51 PM

Some new information I received, the grandmother and granddaughter had a "falling out" because the granddaughter did not want to run errands for her grandmother. It was posted on the original site...but I just checked and it is gone...

Posted by: Pam_T at April 7, 2005 3:52 PM

Julie:
"A judge cannot deny a videotape without losing their bench."

He can if his name is George Greer, and he flat out refuses to have it played in his courtroom.

Posted by: JIHC at April 7, 2005 3:58 PM

I agree a living will would not make a difference here-in fact that might just get her killed faster. I have the same questions as Linda (on the other mae post)-why can't she order food for herself? I just emailed to ask that. I also read that Archbishop Gregory of Atlanta is not sure if he should get involved because she is not catholic. PEOPLE-we cannot start arguing about who to help based on their religion-that is as bad as starving someone based on whether they are worthy of living in society. You can email him at archbishop@archatl.com His pro-life director is Mary Boyert at mboyert@bellsouth.net.
I agree with Mary that this should not be something that goes to the courts-but I think it already has so we have to deal with that now and the other later.
I am concerned that we all seem to be running around without a leader( and going in circles)-we need a leader-someone who has the time to coordinate all of this -who can pass on information-find out about a legal team and put together a decisive action plan. Is there someone here who is qualified and could we all agree-just for awhile so we could try and help this poor woman?
Gosh I know I am going to get slammed for that but just so everyone knows-I am not talking a dictator-just a leader to coordinate-there has got to be some organization or we are just going to talk and not get anything done. Tress, Mary, Sherri,cece, I hope, anyone?

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 7, 2005 4:11 PM

I don't know how much it will help, but I emailed a link to the Alliance Defense Fund to Mr. Mullinax, the nephew who requested our help.

Here's the link

Because it is a family matter, I don't know what we can do personally, other than try to get good resources to the family. Obviously, the authorities do not wish to get involved, so until we can come up with something better, I think a lawyer is the only recourse, and ADF will do pro bono.

Posted by: ep4life at April 7, 2005 4:12 PM

I just contacted focus on the family-I figured they would know some good prolife lawyers-I gave them all the contact info-I know Dobson will have something to say.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 7, 2005 4:39 PM

Yes, James Dobson is on the board of the Alliance Defense Fund. He is a great resource.

Posted by: ep4life at April 7, 2005 4:45 PM

In Terri's case, the governor, Florida legislature and the US congress appeared concerned over the situation. In Mae's case, there is no one of authority listening, therefore no one for us to approach. Mae's situation happened over a period of weeks, while Terri's took years. Just finding out the pertinent details can take longer than it takes someone to die.

So when you find out about something this late, there's likely to be little you can do since there's no groundwork already laid. There are probably elderly and incapacitated dying by this method all over our country. Most of them enter this state of transition very quickly either by a severe accident, or due to being elderly they are shunted off by the medical profession.

The fact that we all appear to be twirling and not being effective is nothing to hang our heads in shame about. Whatever organizations out there that are right to life, need to consolidate/merge. Become inclusive of *all* religions and political parties. Include the liberals, include the homosexuals, even include the people who support abortion..yeah...you heard me. Come out with a mandate that you all can support...a compromise. Birth control...ok, One month abortion Ok...after that,no way...no passive euthanasia....just figure out the compromise. Let your differences fade away. You may not get 100% of what you believe in, but it's closer than what's happening out there in the world today.

When that compromise is found, the *one unified voice* of those different people who believe that what is happening is wrong cannot be ignored just because people percieve the group as not representing all of America. The alarm they ring will be able to be heard by all.

Adverts in major magazines, newspapers, local TV shows deliniating our concerns need to be run. The mass public can only be as compassionate as they are educated. They can't feel for someone if they have no idea what this is happening to them.

If such an organization doesn't exist, or the present groups will not unite, then form a new one. Raise money, get legal folks on board who know the ropes. It is imperitive to find these cases fast no matter where they are in the country *and* discover the details of the families situation extremely quickly. People can go from living and being fine, to a traumatic event, to dead in weeks.

Ceci

If the media gets flooded with this data often enough, it will begin to cut through the living will brain washing. But it will take time...people...contacts in local media around the country and money.

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 4:47 PM

Ooops, signed my comment too soon. Hehehe. That's what I get for editing. Ahem...

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 4:48 PM

For what it's worth, I've also contacted Tony Perkins at the Family Research Council to see if there is anything they can do. Will keep you posted.

Posted by: ep4life at April 7, 2005 5:50 PM

Just talked with Kenneth!

My discussion with the Judge may have been a little TOO NICE!

The Judge claims that the case was taken out of his hands! Kenneth says this Judge is NO FRIENDLY!

KEEP BUGGING THE JUDGE!

BLOGGER WILLNOT LET ME POST AND CORRECT ThiS!

I apologize! Please get the word out-- DO NOT LET THIS JUDGE OFF THE HOOK!!!

Posted by: Straight Up with Sherri at April 7, 2005 5:53 PM

I read that Mae has been without water since March 28th. That'd be about 10 days. Is this so? Why was someone not allowed to feed her or give her water? Was she unconscious or being kept unconscious?

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 6:00 PM

Bingo, Always. We either have to get down to work and get something accomplished, or we will yak a few lives away.

Watch the compromise, CeCe. Ground given is never recovered and the opposition will work away at like a soft spot. It's like the camel; once he gets his nose under the tent the rest of him will follow and you can't stop him.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 7, 2005 6:33 PM

Well, I do have a concern that unless the right to life groups can speak with a more multifaceted voice, they may continue to get marginalized by society as right wing whackos.

FWIW, I'm gay,and liberal and I see the issue of euthanasia as separate from the legal issue of guardianship abuse. The passive euthanasia being used today to steal money or even "allow someone to die" is a heinous breech of trust and human dignity IMO. I'm also pro abortion in cases of rape and incest when the fetus is 1 month or less of age. So, I'm for birth control and the day after pill. I worked 10 years doing cell biology research in the past so I feel confident that there's no consciousness in a cluster of cells with no neurons in it yet.

That may sound harsh to some folks here. But I don't see how we can get all the way to completely pro-life in one giant step. Once people get used to the responsibility of creating human life again, then they may be willing to consider not allowing abortions. But for now they're too busy running around like chickens with their heads cut off and just doing whatever....whenever.

That's why I can live the the 1 month abortion compromise...it's a step. I can also agree with active euthanasia in cases of written directives and/or testimoney *while* the individual is in the terminal condition, but that's a different issue than guardianship abuse and killing someone by a cruel means.

See what I mean about inclusiveness? I have very different opinions than many people who may frequent blogs like this. They may be closer to mainstream that what is comfortable to many right to life people. But during Terri's situation, we did have alot in common. I'd like to see it continue. But I don't know how it can without compromise.

If that is not desired, I will respectfully honor your wishes and wish you well in your campaigns to assist these helpless people.

God Bless.
Ceci

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 6:50 PM

The family should go into the Hospice, kick the *()* out of the "non-caregivers" and take Mae to another facility. Barring that, they should find the grand-daughter and kick the *()* out of her.

This is rediculous; murder by court decree in the good old US of A????

I was hoping and praying that God would continue to Bless this Great Nation. Now, I only pray that God will not destroy us all for the evil that has overtaken us.

Who made the Judiciary God?

Posted by: Tress at April 7, 2005 6:51 PM

As Persons like Jese jackson and Hannity sated they wish thay had known earlier about erri . I suggest that someon eget in touch with both...quickly !

Posted by: JoJoFox at April 7, 2005 7:19 PM

As Persons like Jese jackson and Hannity stating they wish thay had known earlier about Terri . I suggest that someone get in touch with both...quickly !

They need to understand that starvation and dehydration deaths of the "unwanted" is a reocurring trend in modern America

Posted by: JoJoFox at April 7, 2005 7:21 PM

Cece, do not leave, you have some important info to offer. I can see your issues on compromise and what you are getting at. The problem is this. While consciousness may not exist in those 1 month old cells, many of us believe a soul does. That is fundamental, bottom line of the prolife movement, so we could never agree to abortions of one month cells in order to stop the killing of 84 year old cells.
However you bring up such a good point about the responsibility of creating human life-in essence I guess that is the heart of the problem-we do not want to take responsibility for what we have created-thus it is easier to destroy it. How much easier to destroy someone we feel is old and bothersome?
The question is where to today? Do we fight for all the issues at once or just join together and get this done for today-put the differences aside and start directing people to do things to save Maes life. I personally am one of those people that has to be told what to do, so someone tell me please.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 7, 2005 8:13 PM

Ceci - I couldn't agree with you more. I have spoken to so many people who have discussed their end of life decisions in the past few weeks with their parents, children, spouses, siblings, significant others, and friends. This is the positive that is coming from this situation.

Again - this should be approached rationally - through our lawmakers. Contact your legislators - heck - run for office yourself. This is a POSITIVE mode of change - and a lasting one.

On a different note - TS's brother and sister are on Hannity & Combs right now. It is my sincere belief that, if they are ever going to be taken seriously in their crusade for change, they have to get off this Michael Schiavo "hate" trip and stick to the message. Of course, Hannity isn't helping - I never heard a man repeat himself more!

And finally, for those who are going to focus on her "struggling and gasping for breaths" during her last hours - this is a natural process of dying. I am sure Pope JPII experienced the same. I know my father and grandmother did as well.

Posted by: Blogging Beth at April 7, 2005 8:26 PM

I don't plan to leave save for my voice may just go silent so I don't dilute your message. I offer the compromise solutions not because I feel they're "right", but because I feel that a starting place must be chosen.

The notion of consciousness imbued in all of life, not just life with a brain, is a concept that's beome foreign to most of America today. They have just forgotten. I truely believe that consciousness creates life and precedes life. It's in everything you perceive in the world, every insect, rock, person, tree, bird or drop of water. There is only one source of *everything* and it is expressed through all beings. But I realize that it's a concept that is misunderstood today.

So I offer a compromise to start a walk down a path that's back toward it's source. The Pope mentioned an important step...that of forgiveness. Your enemy is still your brother. There is only one source of everything.

So even though my beliefs on abortion and euthanasia may be alien to many in the Right to Life movement, I'll continue to support you even if it's just mentioning to people I meet one at a time why the Right to Life folks belive what they do. I will not dilute your message if my compromise opinions interfere.

Now, fwiw with Mae. I fear that her situation may be too far gone. Due to her age and probable loss of kidney function (also due to age), even if they reinstate fluids, she may just drown in them because her kidneys have failed and can't remove the fluid. I would try to be helpful, but still realize that her suffering is also a message to society to wake up. Use this time to organize and become more powerful and more ready to help the next time.

Blogging Beth...you're right. People here seriously need to consider running for local offices. Whatever you do, continue to communicate to each other. I truely feel when the time is right, the leadership will come forward to better get your message through to the country. Right now folks are contacting agencies that seem to not quite cover assisting people in these situations. They got involved with Terri due to the enormity of the case. But with these daily deaths, these organizations are not set up to discover and pursue stopping them.

I'm already amazed at how startlingly well researched and persistant you all are. Somehow, I do feel change is in the air. It'll happen.

Posted by: Ceci at April 7, 2005 9:34 PM

I think Hannity's mentioning the "gasping" etc during her last hours was to highlight the disparity in what Felos was saying and what the truth might have been. The right-to-die attorney kept quoting her as 'never being more beautiful' and her dying was 'dignified' and 'peaceful.' Without Hannity having seen her, I think he was just trying to point out what a farce Felos's statements were. I think her final moments were unfortunately not the same as John Paul's, gasping or not.

One question, the Bishop of Atlanta is not sure he should get involved because she is NOT Catholic?!? Are you kidding me?

The Pope helped a Jewish girl named Edith Zierer. See one story here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/international/worldspecial2/06krakow.html?ex=1113451200&en=75d4314ee7c012cf&ei=5059&partner=AOL

I hope that comment is a mistake. I can't believe religious affiliation should make a difference. Does that mean he only cares if Catholics have abortions?

Posted by: I hope at April 7, 2005 10:24 PM

Oh, Ceci, I hope you're right that change is in the air. I'm so glad you and everyone on this blog are here, because otherwise I would think I was going insane... or that I was the only sane person in a mad world.

Cyber-hugs to all. I'll start calling and faxing in the morning.

Posted by: Mary in LA at April 7, 2005 10:42 PM