« Feeding Resumed for Mexican Woman in Vegetative State | Main | Advance directives: Useless in most states »

April 18, 2005

CMA Doctor: CA Assisted Suicide Bill Simply Advances State Secrecy

This CMA press release does not address the ethical bankruptcy of assisted suicide but does point out the danger of California's bill from the perspective of government power. According to the CMA, although the legislation is touted as a benefit to freedom, in reality it provides a wall of secrecy for the government to hide behind. Here is the full CMA Statement:

The Executive Director of the Christian Medical Association today said a California bill to allow assisted suicide gives more power to the government--not to patients. Assemblywoman Patty Berg (D-Eureka), one of the bill's co-authors, told the Los Angeles Times that her bill, "is about whether you will uphold our civil rights to privacy."

Dr. Stevens noted, "The truth is that this bill establishes a dangerous right to privacy for the government. As in Oregon, the California assisted suicide bill includes a state secrecy clause that prevents the public, the media or watchdog groups from reviewing the evidence."

The text of the bill, AB 654, says, "The information collected shall not be a public record and shall not be made available for inspection by the public. The department shall generate and make available to the public an annual statistical report..."

Dr. Stevens explained, "So of course every year the state will, as in Oregon, trot out sanitized statistics that no one can dispute because state bureaucrats keep the details secret. If you want to give more power to the state and less power to citizens, this is the way to do it.

"Government bureaucrats will obviously protect the state's reputation by keeping potentially damaging details secret. How many governors or health department bureaucrats are going to call a news conference to admit that under its ineffective laws and shoddy oversight, its citizens choked to death, lingered on for days after taking lethal pills, or were put to death without their consent?

"We know from studies in the Netherlands, with statistics gained from doctors who responded on condition of anonymity, that assisted suicide and euthanasia is a messy business, fraught with 'failures' to kill the patient immediately. Three reports from the Netherlands have documented that 18-25% of the patients who take lethal drugs prescribed by Dutch physicians do not die from the pills. The same dose of the same drug is used in Oregon, yet state bureaucrats will not admit a single instance of a problem. That may not be believable, but it's not surprising given the negative publicity it would mean for the state.

"This bill is being promoted falsely as a bill to give more power to patients. In fact, it gives more power to the state."

Posted by tim at April 18, 2005 12:21 PM

Comments

Now what? Do we establish a group to fight this, as well? I do wish the bloggers would come back. The fight isn't over, folks, it has barely begun.

Tim have we gone anywhere with another Blog? I finally heard from our diocesan pro life office and am working to present our ideas lucidly for full comprehension. Haven't heard from Rep. Paul yet. I wish we could split into groups with each group taking one facet and really working it. What do you think of the idea of having a thank you note to Delay in the Washington Post or some thing signed by all of us and any other groups we could get to join us. Each person could contribute a dollar along with their signature to help pay for it.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 5:30 PM

We're here. Just recovering from an extremely busy weekend. I'd like to move faster as well.

Posted by: tim at April 18, 2005 6:30 PM

That's a great idea, Mary. Count me in. DeLay definitely deserves and needs our support.

I am waiting to hear back from my church regarding coordinating some sort of effort to educate people about the euthenasisa movement and how they are already using back-door methods, and also about the possibility of having the Schindlers come speak, if they want to, at the church (in Philadelphia, bordering with Huntingdon Valley) when they commence on their cross country speaking initiative on behalf of Terri's cause.

I also mentioned in another post here that maybe we could start a mass mailing/emailing campaign to the State and Federal levels requesting investigations to help bring those responsible for this tragedy to justice.

I feel like all I'm doing is sitting around waiting and waiting for things to start popping. Maybe that's partly because I am so raring to get going! :)

Posted by: Eyes Wide Open at April 18, 2005 7:17 PM

Eggsackly, Eyes. That's why Tim and I are talking about another Blog site for those who want to quit talking about it and start doing something about it. While we talk, they act--witness the article above. If we could get newspaper space for this (Delay) and a central place to receive and ship the dollars and signatures, this could be done and over with quickly and only to reap the benefits later.

As for the rest of this hydra, I really think we need to gather in groups to fight it one head per group (a hydra has many heads). But it has reached the point where you can rarely find three bloggers at once on here and that doesn't bode well for groups. Have wwe forgotten Terri already?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 7:31 PM

I am here Mary, and I am with you on this-I just can not sit here and argue out the little things anymore. I think there are some good plans and I think there are ways to push and pull them a little to make them into one successful plan. I want to do something. I do not have the time to argue-I WILL MAKE the time to do something. The blogs work great to establish protocol for what to do when in an emergency situation-such as Terri-and Mae-we have seen that. The blogs are powerfull and necessary, but in this case I would agree that something else needs to be established in order to move this on. Thans for staying on me-I have some emails to mail out on this issue that I said I would be doing last weekend and I did not get to it. You are right, this needs to be a priority.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 18, 2005 8:21 PM

Bless you guys. Come back soon, OK. I think I've found something you will like. It will take me a bit to type it up and post it, so hang in there with me. Be right back.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 8:24 PM

Here are some excerpts from http://www.lawcasella.com/spooner/TrialByJury.htm
To secure this right of the people to judge of their own liberties against the govt, the juries are taken...by lot. This is done to prevent govt's constituting a jury of its own partisans or friends; in other words, to prevent the govt's PACKING a jury, with a view to maintain its own laws, and accomplish its own purposes.

The govt can enforce none of its laws...except such as substantially the whole people wish to have enforced. The govt, therefore, consistently with the trial by jury, can exercise no powers over the people...except such as...the whole people...consent that it may exercise. In such a trial, therefore, "the country" or the people, judge of and determine their own liberties against the govt, instead of the govt judging of and determining its own powers over the people.

I rest my case vis a vis judge and jury greer. And this explains why all the abortion/euthanasia people run for courts sans juries and why I say the only hope for the Supreme Court is death by starvation/dehydration. Think about that last sentence for a bit.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 8:37 PM

Well, I shall fill in the silence here for a bit.

To help bring those responsible to justice. That's a lotta, lotta people. Was it you, Eyes, or Tom Spence, who mentioned the connection with scientology? Then we look at this judiciary situation which goes back quite a few years and involves an awful lot of lawmakers and judges and it leaves the mind reeling. What was deliberately and maliciously done was to cut the people out of all of this and impose these demonic laws on us, by cutting us out of the courts, by going to courts which don't use juries because their powers were limited by their jurisdiction. Hence probate courts, for crying out loud. It takes very little effort to sense the stench of inner hell in this.

And I am going to keep saying this until SOMEONE says AH HA!! The only reason we are seeing this now is because of Terri's gift to us, because of the all the prayers that have been prayed for her and Mae and Clara. Because of our sacrifices, esp. Terri's, God Himself has shown His own light on this. Without that, none of this would have come to light. Another friend of mine sent me an article on a medical facility which is now "doing the right thing" (ha!), but which almost destroyed him when he accidently discovered some evil things it was doing. It is all coming out, my friends, and not because we are such dandy investigaters, either.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 9:08 PM

Hi ho, Silver, AWAY! The lone blogger rides again!

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 9:14 PM

I am reading this right now-just a sec

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 18, 2005 9:24 PM

Did I lose you, Always?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 9:38 PM

I guess y'all read yourselves to sleep.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 18, 2005 10:49 PM

Behold, I will raise them up out of the place wherein you have sold them; and I will return your recompense upon your own heads.

Proclaim ye this among the nations, prepare war, rouse up the strong; let them come, let all the men of war come up. Cut your ploughshares into swords, and your spades into spears. Let the weak say: I am strong. Joel 3:7-10

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 19, 2005 8:13 AM

Darn, Mary, I always fancied myself a crack investigator! :) (just kidding!) I agree, God is at work exposing the darkness, and we are privileged to be able to be of service to Him in this great awakening.

I personally did not mention the connection to Scientology, but I did agree with someone, don't remember who now, that it wouldn't surprise me.

The mind spins at the level of involvement at various levels and can cause frustration, not knowing where to begin. I think it would be best to begin with the principle players, the ones most directly involved with the barbaric actions against Terri and her family, Schiavo, Felos, Greer, Florida politicians, etc. and then fan out from there. I could be wrong though, I don't know. I'm constantly praying for direction though, and keep coming back to a strong sensing that these folks must be investigated, and held accountable, post-haste. And at the same time I think a show of strong support for Tom DeLay and those who supported protecting Terri's right to life is very important, especially in light of the vultures circling him now.

Posted by: Eyes Wide Open at April 19, 2005 6:17 PM

Eyes,

Thank you. Would you read the trial by jury paper at the address I posted above. It is very long, and the first section should be enough to read to start out with. This is knowledge I consider essential to us in the battle ahead. I think that anyone who reads it will agree. Tom is downloading it now--he picked up on it one of the above articles. I consider it too large to download. Ah, scientology; better bring your snake bite kit.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 19, 2005 7:54 PM

I've read the firt two sections, Mary, and I'm downloading it now.

We are much more powerful than the government wants us to know. Most people today don't realize the extent of their power over government as they once did.

I think of the courts are going to be involved in disputed end-of-life decisions, then I think it should be mandated that it be decided by a jury. That would offer a safeguard against the judicial tyranny that we witnessed in Terri's situation.

Of course, what I would really like to see would be for a Federal law to be passed that you can't starve and dehydrate anybody, for any reason, even if they are terminal. If someone is terminal they will die anyway, even with nutrition and hydration, so it isn't necessary to end their nutrition and hydration. Maintaining it will only lessen their pain since starvation and dehydration is probably one of the most painful ways to die. If they are not terminal, well then end-of-life "discussions" should not even be taking place.

Every time I think of what was done to Terri I get upset and angry all over again. How dare they have done what they did. It is so immoral, so criminal, such an offense to the sensibilities of every decent person on the face of the planet.

I still feel like this has been a nightmare. How could this happen in our country? I guess we aren't the country we used to be.

Posted by: Eyes Wide Open at April 20, 2005 6:05 PM

Hi, Eyes,

I'm sorry I missed you. I really want to talk about this. I may be wrong, but it seems to me at this point, that no matter what law is made or who is in office nothing is going to change until we actually make it change. When we want them to quit doing something, they ignore us. When we want them to do something, they ignore us. In a very real way Terri's case spotlighted their behavior with kleeg lights. What we saw is what we have, no more, no less.

I think much of the rescue Terri show was just a show, a charade. The way I see it, the Bushes may not have given a hoot about Terri for all their posturing; but there is no way they don't care about their authority. To let this little judge walk all over them is against all reason, unless... There's much more to this than meets the eye, but I believe that too will be revealed to us in time.

Let me share with you some words of knowledge I received in July of '98. I will preface this with what one man told me, that the only prophet you can trust is a dead one. Well, I'm only half dead (Ha! Ha!) at the moment and these things may be taken or left as you please. I got these things over a two week period and they are: God's plan to unite and use all the movements He has raised up to drive the enemy out of this country.

When the spell is broken the scales will fall from many eyes (we are seeing this right now).

The Gaen's golden calf will be destroyed--it will explode from within.

During the clean up that follows evidence will be found revealing a plot deeper, wider, more sinister than anyone guessed. People will praise God even more when they learn just what He saved them from.

Like I said, take it or leave it, but this is the very first time I've gone public with this. Keep working on the trial by jury and do some of my thinking for me apropos of putting our faith in powers and laws. I'm getting pretty worn out.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 20, 2005 7:20 PM

Eyes Wide Open, yes!

"Of course, what I would really like to see would be for a Federal law to be passed that you can't starve and dehydrate anybody, for any reason, even if they are terminal. **If someone is terminal they will die anyway, even with nutrition and hydration, so it isn't necessary to end their nutrition and hydration. Maintaining it will only lessen their pain since starvation and dehydration is probably one of the most painful ways to die. If they are not terminal, well then end-of-life "discussions" should not even be taking place.***

Right on the mark, Eyes Wide Open...

I know...me, too.

And Mary, the word of knowledge....something to keep an eye out for as this continues..

Posted by: juleni at April 21, 2005 2:29 PM