« Behind the News: Why the Rush to Murder Taran Francis? | Main | Judge Stays Montefiore's Termination of Taran »

April 23, 2005

Charlotte Wyatt-- something more to do

Topics: Action Items, International

From savecharlotte.com:

Another request from Charlotte's parents-- would anyone who has been in a similar situation be able to write us about their case? He will give the letters to the judge for the next hearing. We need to prove the doctor's definition of 'hopeless' 'terminal' and 'not worth saving' wrong.

Right now we are also researching private hospitals that might be willing to take Charlotte and would value her life, for it would be good if she could leave the place she is in now. She is not receiving as much therapy as her parents would like, and the hospital has yet to release her full records to them. And it's hard to trust someone who thinks your baby would be better off dead.

Posted by joshua at April 23, 2005 10:23 AM

Articles Related to Action Items, International:

Comments

Good morning, Bloggers,

I have been praying for Baby Charlotte and Taran and TuGGer's wife, Marta. And, finally, last night I got an idea on how we might successfully help Baby Charlotte.

One thing the hospital she is in seems to fear is what might be done to them. They have done what they can to cover themselves...they hope. Let US take that hope away from them with the sunshine treatment. Perhaps if we shine the light on what ever they do in such a way and with such intensity that they begin to fear that the court order won't protect them from some kind of harm if anything happens to Charlotte, they too will begin to find ways to keep her alive. In short, let's make Charlotte a hot potato; one they will be glad to safely escort to a more friendly environment.

Someone mentioned her parents taking over her care at home. But there were some obstacles there; I can't remember what. Would someone refresh me on this and perhaps we can aid in bringing that to pass. It all depends on the obstacles, I guess.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 10:17 AM

I see two people making phone calls, one of those people perhaps a president arranging the disposition of his armies, a hundred military bases to be opened or closed. The other phone call is made by a frightened five year old girl perhaps to a newspaper pleading for the life of a helpless innocent. I see the choirs of heaven hanging on every word made in one of those phone calls, a drama on earth sung by every angel in heaven, the saints in their multitudes praising our Father for His wondrous love expressed in one of those phones call. I see heaven saying, ho hum about the other phone call. I think you know which is which. (I think, as Mary does, that every call, every pleading email will help).

Posted by: dea at April 24, 2005 11:30 AM

It should be obvious that even in cases where the "sunshine treatment" is in full effect, that sometimes not "every call, every pleading email will help". Case in point: TS

Posted by: Lufta at April 24, 2005 1:02 PM

As obvious as it was when the last prayer was breathed urging that a condemned man not be sentenced to the cross. Let me assure you, every email or call or telegram written in support of Terri will be answered by God in ways the world will very soon now see. Believe me, Terri, as our Lord did, emerged from her struggle victorious, and everyone who shared in her struggle will share in her victory as we share in our Lord's victory. Do not give up on this latest victim of evil in this world. Every call, every email, every breathed prayer helps.

Posted by: dea at April 24, 2005 1:53 PM

So then, God's answers to our calls cannot be observed at all -- not until the day of reckoning, or some such thing?

Also -- you're saying that the more we fax and call, the more God listens? Hmmm...

Posted by: Lufta at April 24, 2005 2:08 PM

Um - or some such thing. Basically - yup. And does God listen? To numbers? Check out a little story about Sodom and Gom something or other (sorry, I'm bout to crash for the night). Anyway, God bless. My heartfelt, pleading prayer for this child and her family - may the Lord provide the answer asked for in the post.

Posted by: dea at April 24, 2005 2:36 PM

Mary--the deal I understand with taking her home is that they would need some sort of medical equipment that they don't have. They apparently are pricing it right now. I hope it's "just" a matter of money and that they will let people in the U.S. know what's up on that. Of course the DNR would still be on her chart at the hospital, so this really wouldn't help if, at home, she went into respiratory arrest or distress, as they probably couldn't get her the help she needed at that point.

Also, I exchanged e-mail with Hannah Moxson (think I have that spelling right) who is helping to run the new Charlotte Wyatt web site. Basically, she says the Wyatts are willing to _consider_ coming to the U.S. but are reluctant as it sounds incredibly complicated, expensive, etc. That's my wording, but that's the gist of what she said. I have a feeling that if some millionaire swooped down on them with a full plan for coming to the U.S., a hospital for Charlotte, a green card and job for the father, etc., all expenses paid, they'd consider it very seriously, but that it looks from their end like too high a mountain to climb to start actively pursuing that option on their own.

So right now the one they are most pursuing is "private hospitals" in the UK. I really do think the socialized medical system there is part of the problem, and they apparently think so as well and are looking to get her out of "the system." Of course if they do find a private hospital that will take Charlotte and take off the DNR from her chart, they will have to pay for it! But they are probably right that that would be less of a huge project and expense than coming to the U.S. I wish we had more of a UK readership here at Blogs for Terri. (My own suspicion is that Brits have fewer personal computers in their homes than Americans, and that's part of the problem with using the Internet to get information out to the British. But I could be wrong.)

Still, if any of you know a pro-life millionaire in the U.S. who is good at making plans for moving an entire family, including one baby girl who needs a lot of medical care and several other little children, to the U.S., let him know about this, okay? :-)

By the way, it looks like Charlotte's mom is expecting another baby. That will be #4. It's announced on the Charlotte Wyatt web site.

Posted by: Lydia at April 24, 2005 3:28 PM

Dea,

Any one who has read about how God deals with people, how He has dealt with the saints through out history, knows that your vision and interpretation are correct. Some people just will make God after their own image.

To Lufta, God laughs at the power and wisdom of men, and is compelled to answer the prayers of little ones. Yes, every single act or word done out of love is regarded most affectionately by the Holy One.

Thank you for sharing that with us, dea. I have been convinced for some time now that the Schindler's great sacrifice and all our little sacrifices have drawn the powers of heaven down upon this fight. I read once that satan realized his mistake in getting Jesus crucified after it was too late. I think that is the case here as well. And I've always believed that if you give satan enough rope he will hang himself every time. In this case he probably wasn't betting there was enough love left in the world for this to happen. Praise God, he was wrong again.

Lydia, thank you for that info. Don't know any millionaires but I do know a lot of good people here on Blogs and God is exceedingly rich. So an idea may be to start a collection and a search for what the Wyatt's need including a pro life private hospital even while we keep the present hospital under close and uncomfortable scrutiny until they are willing to do all they can to safely transfer our baby. (She's ours now, you know--we adopted her.)

I just got put on new meds the other day and they have the effect of knocking me out a lot. So I haven't been able to study Taran's case. Would the sunshine treatment work for him?

I'm so proud to be associated with you people. God bless and prosper all of you.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 6:31 PM

Hi.

I've been in touch with Hannah as well, and she confirms that no other NHS hospital will take Charlotte, and also that she'll be getting to work on setting up a PayPal account in the next few days.

As regards the Wyatts bringing Charlotte home, Hannah says there's a (probably slight) possibility of the NHS paying for some of the equipment, but I get the impression this is unlikely. I'd agree with that assessment -- the NHS doesn't usually do things that way.

One other possibility Hannah raises is of getting an independent (I assume she means non-NHS) expert to assess Charlotte. Again, this might prove to be the best way forward -- It would be marvellous if someone could stand up and flat-out contradict the hospital's findings.

On a side-note, Brits have plenty of computers, but blogging really hasn't taken off over here. The largest of our blogs average (I think) around 1000 hits a day. This is one of the reasons why I approached BlogsForTerri -- Although British bloggers are all over this story, we're just not able to penetrate the mainstream in the way U.S. bloggers can.

I'll keep you posted if I learn any more.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 24, 2005 6:39 PM

Good work, everyone. I too have been emailing Hannah, to work through the setup of a Paypal account and the placement of a button for donations on Charlotte's site.

One thing we CAN do over here, once the Paypal button is placed at Charlotte's site, is to begin emailing/phoning any and everyone who would be a good contact for getting out the word to go and see that button on Charlotte's site and click it and donate for her life!

Keep an eye on Charlotte's site for the donation button to appear.

In the meantime, I am also searching for others who could and would give testimony from a similar situation to help Charlotte's case.

Mary, you said that so beautifully - "satan realized his mistake in getting Jesus crucified after it was too late. I think that is the case here as well...In this case (satan) probably wasn't betting there was enough love left in the world for this to happen. Praise God he was wrong again."

Dea and Mary, I believe the exact same thing regarding Terri.

Taran's case - I am really praying about it: I know tomorrow is a kind of D-day for his case. I am very tired today, from the good fight, but my attention is turned next to Taran's case, also.

Posted by: juleni at April 24, 2005 6:57 PM

Mary and Lydia, regarding an expert assessing Hannah, have you heard any more from Earl as to the neonatalist he was going to speak with reagarding Charlotte?

Posted by: juleni at April 24, 2005 7:02 PM

Juleni,

Earl said he would bring it up to Dr. Byrne, but I haven't read any more from him.

Tom, you are fun! Fanfare can't read. How are you coming on your research? I've bombed so far but I feel almost lively tonight and have a plan for tomorrow. Haven't checked your site since this morning, tho. What's up, Doc?

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 9:30 PM

I said what I said for a reason. The entire story from Genesis to Revelation is about satan's attempts to thwart God's plan for humanity's salvation. So, by simply asking the question you show your ignorance as well as you arrogance. Just to throw you a bone, I'll provide some references which apply to your question.

For brevity's sake I'll just cite a few from the book of Proverbs. Since I doubt you have a ready copy of the bible at hand there is a good online version which you can use to look these up.

Go to http://www.blueletterbible.org/

Proverbs 10:21
Proverbs 10:23
Proverbs 12:23
Proverbs 14:3
Proverbs 14:9
Proverbs 15:2
Proverbs 26:11

I'll leave it at that since Proverbs also tells us this:

Proverbs 14:7
Proverbs 23:9
and most importantly: Proverbs 26:4

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 24, 2005 9:40 PM

Mary, I slogged through chapters II, III & Iv of Spooner. He goes into great detail to base what he will have to say later on carefully parsing the Mana Carta's latin text and the history and culture of England back then. I've reached the other end of the tunnel in chapter V and it is full of great stuff. That, however, still leaves about 50 pages to go through, but I am enjoying it. I have many notes, we'll see where it leads.

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 24, 2005 9:46 PM

Make that the Magna Carta.

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 24, 2005 9:49 PM

Hey guys,

There is a new post from Earl above this about Taran. I've taken it upon myself to call for a prayer warrior group to pray for him from now until he is safe. My husband and I have signed up for an hour each tonight and tomorrow morning. Would y'all go there and sign up for when you are available pray for him? Thanks again and again.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 9:50 PM

My bad; I haven't returned to Spooner and read on. I should have, but I didn't. I shall. I will be glad to see your comments when you get that far. I wanat also to run down how we got human life issues into probate courts, what courts or cases juries have historically been assigned to, and how to get juries and human life cases back together again. What I hear of our new blog and forum sounds like state of the art conditions for our work. Thanking Tim and Juleni for this.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 10:17 PM

No one, repeat, NO ONE said satan crucified Jesus. Get it? got it? good!

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 24, 2005 10:30 PM

Mary and others, the most important verse I cited above is this:

Proverbs 26:4 - "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 24, 2005 10:34 PM

VERY IMPORTANT CONCERNING CHARLOTTE!

NEW EMAIL FROM HANNAH, WHICH I RECEIVED THIS MORNING HERE IN THE US, WITH A REQUEST!!

"Darren & Debbie are asking if it would be at all possible to bring in a
pro-life doctor from elsewhere, with some knowledge in this field, to do
an independent assessment on Charlotte. Would you know of any leads, or
how we might go about this? They feel strongly that the NHS is not
working for her best interest, and just now it seems as if maybe an
American doctor might be able to make a less politicized assesment than a
British doctor.

-Hannah"

EARL - PERHAPS DR. BYRNE?

Posted by: juleni at April 25, 2005 10:54 AM

This sounds like a good idea. For those who don't know how our system works, almost all British doctors are employed by the NHS in some capacity. Even though most also have private practices, it would be very difficult for the Wyatts to find an expert in Britain who wasn't also employed by the NHS, even if they paid for his services privately.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 25, 2005 1:15 PM

Not to sound like a "downer," but I have doubts about the efficacy of bringing in another expert. First of all, the hospital is now no longer basing their DNR on a clear or specific prognosis or diagnosis. Instead, they are just basically going to be stubborn. It doesn't matter what anybody says, they will say, "Well, but _if_ she got bad again to the point where she needed to be resuscitated, then it _would_ be medically inappropriate to resuscitate her." Well, precisely because such a claim is based on virtually no evidence and is open-ended (would they still say this years from now?), such a claim is virtually impossible to refute. If they are just going to say that no matter what, what could an independent expert say to refute them? And the judge seems determined to keep the DNR on there as long as the hospital wants it there. They've already been proved wrong again and again in their predictions and still refuse to lift the DNR.

RottyPup, a couple of questions: Do your emergency personnel (what we call paramedics) intubate as a matter of course if they show up and find somebody not breathing or having serious respiratory distress at their home? Ours do. This fact would, if the same in Britain, make it worthwhile for the Wyatts to take Charlotte home if at all possible. For in _that_ case, if she did go into respiratory arrest or distress at home, they could call 911 (or your equivalent) and get her ventilated right away. Perhaps they could even move to a different part of England _without_ having her in a hospital, and that might be a kind of "reset button," as it were, for the whole DNR thing, as the whole issue wouldn't arise again at all unless she needed to be taken back in, at which point a different hospital might take a different attitude. But transferring _direct_ from one hospital to another is likely to preserve the DNR order.

How much independence is encouraged in the UK as far as caring for disabled people at home? Do you think the Wyatts will face active opposition from the medical establishment to bringing Charlotte home?

Does _anybody_ know what sort of equipment she would need? I'm not even thinking so much about price now as about feasibility of their doing the care. It sounds like definitely she needs some way to administer oxygen and filter room air, but is she also on a feeding tube? What kind? Are people allowed to use feeding tubes at home in the UK as they are here?

Posted by: Lydia at April 25, 2005 2:31 PM

Lydia: The problem with answering this type of question is that I don't know all that much about how things work in the U.S., particularly when talking about the extent to which doctors stick together over there. Judging by the number of malpractice cases filed in the U.S., though, I'd hazard a guess that doctors there are more willing to contradict one another when it comes to diagnosing patients differently.

Here, most medicine is centralised within the NHS. This means that if Charlotte remains under a DNR order, then I think it's doubtful emergency services (who do have paramedic training) would act independently of orders from the hospital. Remember, all the ambulance drivers, paramedics, nurses, etc. who would be called to attend such a case are employed by the NHS, rather than a particular hospital. In many ways, our NHS is organised less like a modern healthcare industry, and more like a medieval trading guild. At least, that would be my assessment.

Understand, also, that the general culture among doctors here is very, very, very anti-litigation. It's virtually impossible for people to sue doctors successfully, and they are almost never struck off the medical register for incompetence. There's also a strong sense that one British doctor will almost never contradict the findings of another in such a way as to render an error legally liable.

I can't say whether or not these are anxieties the Wyatts feel, but my personal instinct would be to push for a non-U.K. specialist to assess the case. If the findings contradicted those of NHS doctors, that would, at least, give us a shot at generating publicity in support of Charlotte before another court appearance.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 25, 2005 5:21 PM

I'm sure you are right, Rotty, to see the NHS as a big part of the problem. And I had guessed at what you said to the effect that the threat of litigation is no protection in Britain. That is why, I'm afraid, Mary's idea of making Charlotte a "hot potato" won't work in the UK. There are no hot potatoes. They can more or less do what they like. Moreover, in this case it really would just be a matter of _not_ resuscitating her, and no doubt they would feel very righteous about carrying out their own DNR order.

But I don't know what an independent expert could say that would make any difference. That her brain _is_ growing? That's about the only concrete complaint they have made recently. But heck, maybe it isn't. And then he'd have to say that. But that certainly doesn't mean she should have a DNR order on her chart forever and ever. And it's pretty obvious that if it weren't that, they'd come up with someone else.

If I were an expert being called in from the U.S. (and I'm not an expert anyway), I'd say, "What exactly am I supposed to be evaluating? Whether, in some *totally unspecified* future circumstances, it _would_ be medically appropriate to put this child on a ventilator? How can I evaluate a thing like that?"

At least in Terri's case there was a specific claim--that she was PVS--that doctors could get their teeth into and give an alternative diagnosis on. But in this case the claim is so vague and the hospital so irrationally stubborn (and the judge so determined to go with whatever the hospital says) that I can't see what an independent expert would be able to say that would change anyone's mind.

The only thing I can see here is to get her into a different hospital or, peferrably, a different country. I'd still like to see an emigration idea brought to pass.

Posted by: Lydia at April 25, 2005 7:08 PM

I shd. add--a different *not NHS hospital.* Perhaps private. Although I can't help wondering if all the private hospitals in the UK are going to defer to the NHS hospitals and retain the DNR as well.

Posted by: Lydia at April 25, 2005 7:09 PM

What about the European pro-life doctor I posted the other day-has anyone heard back from him? He is closer-he would know of a network in England as well as Europe. Here, I will post it again-it is worth a shot.

EPLD -

European Pro-Life-Doctors

Dr.(I) Gero Winkelmann, (M.D.)
Founder and Coordinator of EPLD
Physician, ermergency and homeopatic doctor;
Truderinger Str. 53

D - 82008 Unterhaching / Munich

Tel. ++49 - (0) 89 - 61 50 171- 7
Fax - 8

e-mail: info@epld.org
Spoken foreign languages: German, English, Italian and a little bit french.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 25, 2005 7:17 PM

HAVE THEY CHECKED THIS OUT_THIS IS PRETTY NEAT!!!!
Zöe in Greek means Gift of Life.

Zöe's Place Baby Hospice

Zöe's is the first Baby Hospice in the country, possibly the world, caring for babies who have multiple special needs. We offer respite and palliative terminal care to babies and their parents from birth.

Although we are a Baby Hospice, which can conjure up thoughts in people's minds of dying and sorrow, Zöe's is not like this. All our babies come here to live. Yes, we do have sad times, but the happy times outweigh them by far.

Zöe's is a place full of laughter, fun and love, and any tears that might be shed are usually tears of joy. Never more so than when one of our special babies achieves something that they have never done before, whether it is holding a toy, raising their head, or making distinct noises in response to something or someone. This may sound trivial to some people, but for parents and ourselves, it is progress.

Our special babies come to Zöe's to live life to the full. We care for our babies in the same way as one would care for any able bodied baby. We do not wrap them in cotton wool. None of us know how long we are going to live, so we put into each day as much as we can, through play, touch and stimulation, making everything we do as much fun as possible. The babies can all communicate to us in many different ways, no matter how severe their disabilities. We provide a loving, supportive environment for babies and families, ensuring that pain and other symptoms which can cause acute distress and anxiety are controlled or prevented. Following any contact with Zöe's, help is always available to the families.

Zöe's Baby Hospice was a new project, it was unique, the first in the country specifically for babies with multiple special needs. Zöe in Greek means Gift of Life, an appropriate name for our non-denominational and multi-cultural Hospice, as all our babies come to Zöe's to live "life" to the full. The babies that come through our doors have varying conditions, Multiple Special Needs. They are all very special, bringing with them joy, laughter, love, they are all individual's all little human beings. Each of our babies brings with them a new learning process for all of us and most importantly the gifts of humility, pride and admiration.

People cannot begin to understand what families undergo from that dreaded day when a Doctor confirms their worst fears. That there is something medically or physically wrong with their newborn baby is devastating and hard to comprehend. Happiness is stripped from them. All that is left is a feeling of numbness, shock and disbelief. Questions, of why?, how?, run through their minds. There is blame, guilt a jungle of mixed emotions, life can never be the same again. Medical facts then become a reality for such families. Appointments for hospital visits are made, tests begin, but there are no solutions to make things better, no magic wand to irradiate the problem. Life takes on a new and frightening meaning, normal life ends!

Zöe's Place Baby Hospice

Life Health Centre,

Yew Tree Lane,

West Derby,

Liverpool. L12 9HH.

Tel: 0151 228 0353

Fax: 0151 252 2280

E-mail: Info@Zoes-place.org

LIFE Headquarters
These people HAVE TO HAVE SOME INFORMATION ON PRO LIFE DOCTORS-you see my theory is that having the Americans storm the British Isles is not going to accomplish anything-it has to be a British or European Doctor to have any influence over there. I am going to email all of these that I am posting but I am asking everyone else to do it too. I have a growing list of american prolife doctors that I am putting together but once again-other side of the ocean. If Zoes place could help-and would not help end her life early that might be a way to go.
LIFE House
Newbold Terrace
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
CV32 4EA

Tel: 01926 421587 / 311667 / 316737
Fax: 01926 336497
e-mail: info@lifeuk.org

Posted by: alwayschooselife at April 25, 2005 7:28 PM

Did I read it wrong, that their reason for going to court to get a DNR order was to protect themselves from possible lawsuit?

Hi, Always, good to see you back.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 25, 2005 7:30 PM

mary et al: Yes, the reason doctors went to court was so they'd be immune from prosecution after Charlotte's death. Ghoulish, isn't it?

lydia: I think you're right that private hospitals would defer to the NHS. As I said before, most doctors do NHS work for their bread-and-butter income, and see private practice as an added perk. There are very few doctors working exclusively in private practice, so this creates a culture whereby few will kick against the NHS system. Add to that the closing of ranks and refusal to contradict one another, and the fact that the BMA, which judges issues of malpractice is also the doctors' trade body, and I think we're really looking at either bringing in an expert from abroad or getting Charlotte cared for in another country.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 25, 2005 8:01 PM

Someone needs to do a lot of 'splainin' to me cause that don't make a lick of sense.

They went to court to protect themselves from something that isn't likely to happen and if it does, it poses next to no threat to them. Someone is daft here.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 25, 2005 8:12 PM

Here's my understanding, Mary. Others can correct me if I'm wrong:

_Civil suits_ like what we have in the U.S.--"malpractice suits"--are virtually unknown in the UK. Nobody sues the pants off doctors in civil court with a jury awarding big damages. That's got it's upside, but the downside is that the fear of a civil lawsuit means nothing in the UK. They are all protected as government workers from that sort of civil action.

On the other hand, if they had put the DNR on Charlotte *against the parents' wishes*, had not gotten court permission, and she had died, they _might_ have been liable for _criminal_ prosecution. But now that they have the court's permission to go against her parents' wishes, everything is hunky dory for the hospital--and for any other hospital that takes her and has a DNR on her--and they can refuse to resuscitate her and she can die without fear of any repercussions whatsoever, because there is no separate avenue of civil lawsuit that the parents can threaten.

Posted by: Lydia at April 25, 2005 8:48 PM

Originally, the line Charlotte's doctors used was that Charlotte would certainly die, and that it was in her best interests if they allowed that to happen. Her parents refused to consent to the DNR order, so, to protect themselves from litigation, they (the doctors) went to court in order to have a judge agree that it was within Charlotte's best interests to not resuscitate her.

This was last October, and doctors assured the judge, Mr. Justice Hedley, that Charlotte was blind, deaf, unresponsive, in pain, and would die soon anyway.

Today, apart from not dying, Charlotte can hear, see, respond to attention, is gaining weight, and, doctors agree, could live for years. But. They're still insisting on the DNR order, and the same judge has agreed to let it stand.

If none of this makes much sense to you, you're not alone. For some reason, Hedley just keeps on stubbornly siding with the doctors even though they stand up in court and admit that they've made mistakes about Charlotte.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 25, 2005 8:58 PM

Lydia: You beat me to the 'post' button. I'd add that, technically, people in Britain can sue doctors for civil damages, but the situation here is kind of the reverse of that in the U.S. There, you're having a problem with too many frivolous cases being brought, while here, doctors close ranks in order to protect one another, the result being that it's very difficult to successfully sue one of them even when there is a legitimate grievance. After all, to sue one doctor, you need to find another doctor who will stand up and say, 'he was wrong'. This only happens where the malpractice is so glaringly apparent that it's difficult for anyone to wriggle off the hook. Also, because healthcare's socialised here, and since the government are the ones who actually pay out in such cases, they're not likely to countenance any changes in the law to make litigation easier.

With Charlotte, the fear was, I think, of a civil case -- I can't imagine a criminal prosecution taking place if the hospital had decided to impose a DNR.

Posted by: RottyPup at April 25, 2005 9:08 PM

I think I might still be confused here. This thing seems to be upside down, backwards AND inside out. I've got to ponder this, but there is one thing I don't have to think about and that's how grateful I am that the Clinton's didn't get socialized medicine in here. I'd rather have frivolous suits as dastardly as they are.

My husband said no one in their right mind would vote Hilary for President. True, but how many people are in their right mind. God help us if she gets in. I am praying extra hard for Baby Charlotte and I have made up my mind on what to do. Get her out of there! And God bless you guys for standing by her.

Posted by: mary et. al. at April 25, 2005 9:55 PM

Everyone - please, please forgive me!

I should have put this in - Hannah also had written me another email in which she said the following, which really should go with what I said above:

"At the moment we're trying to get specifics on what sort of equipment
would be needed for her to come home, and exactly how much it would cost.
There are some other practical things we're not sure about... she will
probably need at least some nursing care, and we don't know if the NHS
might provide a nurse or not. And currently they are in a two bedroom
flat with the two little boys, but Charlotte would require her own room,
so they would have to find a three or four bedroom place.
But her parents really want to get her out of the hospital,and they would
like to get a reassesment of her condition, for they feel the hospital has
not done well by her.

I will let you know as soon as we find out more specifics. Thank you for
working for her."

SO PERHAPS THE REASSESMENT OF HER CONDITION IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF BRINGING HER HOME AND FINDING THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT - ? ....PERHAPS?....

I feel terrible that I had not posted this yet, and it may be the answer to many questions above. I am so sorry.

But if anyone does locate a doctor, please would you let Hannah know? I have called three doctors today and left messages. Two prolife doctors here in my state, and one in another state.

Perhaps, if you all called the same doctors as I to press them just a bit for a reply?....
I called the American Association of Pro Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists at 616-546-2639.

I also called Dr. Paul A. Byrne, neonatalist at 419-696-7725.

And finally, I called Dr. James P. Johnston of the Association of Prolife Physicians at 740-754-2671.

Finally, just need to emote this...I typed a long email in my best-remembered German to the EPLD (European Pro Life Doctors). (I used to speak German as a child.) Explained Charlotte's case, and the need, etc. I checked the whole thing over and hit the 'send' button...and LOST the whole email! It did not send, but I received a message that my 'Session does not exist'! It was excruciating....to say the least. All that German, gone...

I Thank the Lord for you, Alwayschooselife! Because I see above now, that I could write the whole thing in English for them.....and I will muster the courage to go back and give it another try, now.

Posted by: juleni at April 25, 2005 10:37 PM