« "Terri Saved My Brother's Life" | Main | Bishop of Diocese of St. Petersburg Transfers Terri's Pastor Day After Her Mass »

April 9, 2005

BREAKING NEWS: Mae is out of the hospice (Update)

Just received telephone call (3:00 PM ET) from Ken Mullinax, nephew of Mae.

Terri saves another life!

Followed by this email:
THANKS TO THE SUPPORT OF ALL OF THE FRIENDS OF TERRI, MY AUNT MAE MAGOUIRK HAS BEEN AIR LIFTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM MEDICAL CENTER ... and receiving IV fluids, nourishment and some of the finest medical care available in the United States! Praise be the name of the Lord GOD... Thanks to Terri's friends... It would NEVER ever have been possible without bloggers who love life , and the truth!! I am racing from my home to UAB now and will type a detailed update after I see my Aunt Mae! Thanks guys, your calls, emails, blogs and prayers did it ALL!!! I so love you guys!!!!!!!!!! Ken Mullinax, nephew of Mae

-End email

IT IS NOT OVER YET - THE OPPOSITION IS STILL TRYING TO GET HER BACK TO THE HOSPICE - SO KEEP FIGHTING BLOGGERS AND READERS!

Update: The comment about it not being over yet came from Ken over the telephone, as he was rushing to see Mae. He said he'd elaborate more as soon as he had the chance. That is all we have at the moment.

Cross posted at Hyscience

Posted by richard at April 9, 2005 2:01 PM

Comments

Wonderful news! Message to Kenneth: Please discuss with your attorney removing Beth Gaddy as guardian, to prevent this from happening all over again in the future.

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at April 9, 2005 2:26 PM

The ultimate solution to this situation is simple. Get Mrs. Magouirk medically stabilized (which hospices by law can not do), get her off the sedatives, wake her up, and ASK her, how do you want to be cared for?

Posted by: Creatureofhabit at April 9, 2005 2:33 PM

And to add to Creatureofhabit's contribution: Ask her what the experience of starvation and dehydration is like and document what she says.

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at April 9, 2005 2:36 PM

Thank God for miracles!

....but...

> IT IS NOT OVER YET - THE OPPOSITION IS STILL
> TRYING TO GET HER BACK TO THE HOSPICE - SO KEEP
> FIGHTING BLOGGERS AND READERS!

What do you MEAN, the opposition is still trying to "get her back to the hospice"?? I thought everybody was all huggy and in agreement now. Please don't drop a bombshell like that without elaborating!

Anyway, once she's in Alabama, what right does ANYBODY in Georgia have over her? What the are they gonna do, "extradite" her?

Posted by: Suzanne. at April 9, 2005 3:10 PM

"Ask her what the experience of starvation and dehydration is like and document what she says."

Given that she was so heavily sedated on morphine and lorazepam, her response to that question may not be as bad as you'd think.

Posted by: Lufta at April 9, 2005 3:22 PM

Thank the Lord. For whatever reason Mae is safe now, it is good. Can anyone elaborate on who is trying to get her back to the hospice? And how?

Hopefully, Ken M. will tell us more, soon.

And she may have been too sedated to have good memory of her experience of dehydration. But maybe not. I hope she can give witness to its cruelty. Those who hope for death may not be moved by it any more than they were by countless other testimonies to what it is like (for example the missionary in Africa who was witness to it hundredfold), but it would be good still if she could give voice to its terrible reality. Even if it could make the difference in the life of one more person.

Posted by: juleni at April 9, 2005 4:03 PM

I'm also interested in this statement and its meaning:

Who exactly is trying or working to get her back to the hospice, her granddaughter?

Posted by: Cao at April 9, 2005 4:20 PM

Our Terri was fast with the miracle ;-).

For those who are interested, I suggest that you check out more information concerning guardianship, and how a court appointed guardian can override medical directives including a written instruction that food and hydration is not to be removed!!!

Rather than getting upset, and all of you have done a good job in a short time frame, you need to learn about the effects of legislation in each state of the USA, as well as in Canada. If the laws governing guardians allow for the guardian to take complete control then the court will rubber stamp whatever the guardian wants. This is the hard lesson from Terri's case.

I think that I understand one of the problems faced by Ken and his family. It relates to the fact that this judge has granted guardianship to Beth Gaddy on the grounds that Mae has dementia. In other words he has ruled on the basis of incompetency and that makes it hard for any other family member to intervene.

I have only been investigating all of this since February, and I have been shocked over what I have discovered. That is why each of you need to find out how those laws are likely to affect you in the future, because you are not safe from those who might want to put you to death for their own gain.

If there are lawyers amongst this group, then we need your expertise with regard to informing people what those guardianship laws mean.

For those who come from Florida, I need to say that one of the things that you need to do (besides ensuring that the rat fink lands in prison) is to get the definition of what constitutes artificial support changed, or at least ensure that it applies only to a very narrow group, and that it will not include those who are incapacitated.

The way that those laws read at the moment there is ample opportunity for potential murderers to take advantage of the situation and kill their victims complete in the knowledge that the court system will protect them from prosecution. You need to work to change that perception.

I am so happy that Mae has been moved from the hospice. Let's return the hospice industry back to the care of those who are dying.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 9, 2005 7:52 PM

Magouirk Judge Is Pro-Life

"My personal opinion is that I am pro-life."

Those are the words of Judge Donald Boyd whose Georgia court was at the centre of the fight over the life of 80 year old Mae Magouirk.

I spoke by phone to Judge Boyd today at his home in La Grange, Georgia, and he was anxious to make his pro-life views known particularly after the death of Terri Schiavo which he says he found very disturbing.

"I was alarmed myself by what Judge Greer did in the Schiavo case, he said.....

There is more to the story and it can be found at my blog. Where we have a judge who is pro-life I'd suggest it's important not to "misjudge" him.

Three cheers, however, for the wonderful news about Mae.

Katrina.

Posted by: Katrina at April 9, 2005 8:10 PM

I just called Patient information at the Birmingham Medical Center and the lady said that Mae did not show on her public database, but that she was sure that she had come in. She was shocked to learn the details of the case from me as I have read on the blogs and further shocked that I did not know the poor woman and was calling from Oregon to say "the world is watching". I think a phone call from a couple billion people to patient info might cause the hospital administration to sit up and have a sip of cold coffee.

205-934-4322