« Franklin Graham on Hannity & Colmes (VIDEO) | Main | Terri Schiavo Memorial »

April 5, 2005

Ankle Biting Pundits: Time for DeLay's Enemies to "Move On"

Topics: Commentary

- H-bomb says:
Even after months of partisan abuse foisted on him by low-lives such as Markos Moulitsas, Tom DeLay seems to be riding tall in the saddle.

I picked up this little item in the Washington Post (sorry, no link):

A new poll for the Houston Chronicle has found that 56 percent of those surveyed in the suburban district represented by House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-Tex.) said they consider him ethical, whereas 35 percent consider him unethical.

Looks like the libs are celebrating a little early on this one, just as they did on election night.

If you are like me, then you think Tom DeLay behaved admirably during the Terri Schiavo tragedy and that the attacks against him are little more than a political witch hunt. Please join me in signing a petition to demand the Democrat prosecutor in Texas and the liberal politicians in Washington just move on!

I will be sending out a press release in the near future on this effort. And bear in mind, my first petition drive went okay.

Hat tip - Ankle Biting Pundits

Posted by richard at April 5, 2005 8:45 PM

Articles Related to Commentary:

Comments

I don't see a point in signing this petition, not just because online petitions don't work. You can't get away with doing bad things just because you did one good thing. In either case, I don't think anyone really cares about a trip-funding scandal so he should still be around for years to come.

Posted by: DimeStore at April 5, 2005 9:41 PM

Tom DeLay is going down not because of his opportunism regarding Terri Schiavo but because of his NUMEROUS ethics violations and shady doings.

There is NO question of his questionable activities, so there's no point trying to deny it.

The worst thing anybody can do is defend him, just like on my side of the political fence (liberal) the worst thing to do would be to defend Michael Schiavo.

Leave the guy twisting in the wind, please.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at April 5, 2005 9:46 PM

This isn't a direct comment to the referenced article, but I couldn't find a direct one to which to reply with this comment. This comment is in response to something I've seen quite often in the press, and also offered by a commenter here in these comments.

Contrary to what we often read, Judge Greer was actually NOT asked to leave his church. I initially, like everyone else, believed the MSM when they stated that he was. (They were probably trying to drum up some public sympathy for him.)

The way that I know this is that I wrote to the church's leadership to commend them for following the Word of the Lord in disciplining a church member who went so far against what Jesus ordained (choose life), by ordering Terri's murder.

The church replied by sending me a link to this webpage on their website, which indicates that Judge Greer was NOT asked to leave. He left voluntarily, because the church had supported a Baptist publication which had taken a public stand on behalf of saving Terri Schiavo's life, and he consequently ended his association with the church. The church also states that he criticized the church in the St. Petersburg Times. Interesting that he publicly maligns them, and they are so gracious in their treatment of HIM on their public materials even though he was the sinner.

I know that this fact is not important much at all in the greater scheme of things, but because some brought it up I thought I'd mention it.
I just discovered this site a week ago and am so happy that you all are here, fighting for Terri's killing to never happen to anyone else!

Posted by: krantz at April 5, 2005 10:43 PM

Krantz,

Personally, you do not volunteer to leave the church unless they made it clear in so many terms they do not want you. This is only logical.

Either way, he had a leave a church because of his actions. What more do you need than G-d telling you to leave his place of worship?

If I were Greer in his condition and age, I'd be very afraid of the afterlife. It won't be too pleasant.

Posted by: Julie at April 5, 2005 10:49 PM

The reason most of the media picked up and relayed the "ousting" is because of a letter sent to him - after he'd critized them publically - which asked him to reconsider his membership which he then promptly cancelled and then some journalists wanted to put a more dramatic spin on it and it turned into what it is.
It was somewhat unfortunate on their part to send him that letter at the time they did, but personally, I don't see how it's relevant to the case at all.

[quote]
Long before Rice became Calvary's pastor, Greer had problems with members of the Southern Baptist denomination. The Florida Baptist Witness, published by the Florida Southern Baptist Convention, had written editorials criticizing Greer's actions on Schiavo. Greer later complained that Calvary did not support him during that time, Rice said.

Though Greer had other, unrelated problems with Calvary, he said the editorials led him to stop donating money to the church.

Greer declined to discuss the matter for this story but has previously defended his actions by saying: "If I don't like what the St. Pete Times writes about me, my only recourse is to cancel my subscription."

This prompted Rice to write the March 10 letter to Greer saying, in part:

"If you have chosen to leave Calvary, distance yourself from her and criticize her publicly, then why have you not formally transferred your membership elsewhere? ... I am not asking you to do this, but since you have taken the initiative of withdrawal, and since your connection with Calvary continues to be a point of concern, it would seem the logical and, I would say, biblical course."

The letter, which became public record after Rice mailed it to Greer's work address, also restated Rice's position on supporting human life.
[/quote]

You can take this correction to mean that I'm pro-Greer, but I'm actually rather indifferent to him.
The MSM did it because it's more sensational to have him "ousted", you did it because of your personal dislike towards him. In the end, both accounts failed to make an accurate representation of the truth.

Posted by: Vanessa at April 5, 2005 11:30 PM

Back to DeLay, whether or not he did anything unethical will come out in the end and is, frankly, irrelevant in this context. What matters to me is the stand he took for Terri and against the death squad in Florida.

DeLay has said: "We will look at an arrogant, out-of-control, unaccountable judiciary that thumbed their nose at the Congress and president when given jurisdiction to hear this case anew." Right on!

Contrast Mr. DeLay's comments to today's statement by Senator Frist. Frist said: "I believe we have a fair and independent judiciary today, I respect that." Any respect I had for that milquetoast is gone, gone, gone. The spotlight is off and it's back to business as usual.

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 5, 2005 11:42 PM

Amen, Tom Spence. And you can find the milquetoast's words here on Life News:

http://www.lifenews.com/nat 1254.html

I urge people to email Sen. Frist, expressing displeasure at his backtracking and failure to enforce Congressional actions.

Posted by: abigail at April 6, 2005 10:44 AM

Well, here is more.

Yesterday, the Senate approved an ammendment to repeal the Reagan-era policy that blocks U.S. aid from flowing to foreign groups that perform or advocate abortion.

Click my name for more.

Do those "checkered pants" republicans think we're that forgetful?

Posted by: Tom Spence at April 6, 2005 1:03 PM