« Hospice Nurse Fired | Main | Coalition Calls Upon Bush to Save Schiavo's Life by Using Police Powers; Press Conferences in Washington, Tallahassee March 23 »

March 22, 2005

Witness Protection Program

According to The Empire Journal, Terri qualifies for the Witness Protection program.

It is possible she may be placed in this program under the Witness Security Program Act of 1984. Read the Empire Journal's story for more details.

UPDATE: AG phone number is 202-353-1555.

UPDATE: A reader suggested contacting the Florida branch of the FBI. Could some of you Florida readers get on this? The phone number is 904-721-1211.

Posted by powersthatblog at March 22, 2005 5:18 PM

Comments

In my medical training and experience, while feeding tubes may have been removed from terminal patients (e.g., with cancer or post-stroke), an IV with basic fluids was not. To my knowledge, Ms. Schiavo is not receiving IV fluids.

The body loses significant fluid each day from respiration, perspiration, etc. Without replacement, death will occur via dehydration long before it occurs from starvation.

Dying of dehydration is considered inhuman, at least in the medical world I trained in.

Posted by: S Silverstein MD at March 22, 2005 5:27 PM

Has anyone contacted the Florida branch of the FBI? I'm not in FL, so I'd have a hard time doing that, but if anyone is "on the spot", please go to the FBI and file a report.

I got this idea from the Attorney General's voicemail message (his voicemail box was full when I called).

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 22, 2005 5:45 PM

Dr. Silverstein, thank you.

From another jewish girl here who feels there is a *grave* injustice going on.

Posted by: Ruth at March 22, 2005 5:50 PM

The phone number of the Jacksonville branch of the FBI is (904) 721-1211. Somebody call! Quickly!

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 22, 2005 5:58 PM

Thank you Mary in LA. When someone gets through, please let us know how it goes.

Posted by: powersthatblog at March 22, 2005 6:00 PM

News release on the 11th Hour Coalition to Save Terri

Posted by: Ruth at March 22, 2005 6:07 PM

I just called the Florida FBI and relayed my concerns and the woman told me this was an issue for the legislature and the courts and that "we're not involved."

Posted by: angie at March 22, 2005 6:13 PM

I love how everyone is dragging their feet on this. It's obvious they want her to die so they can be "done" with this case. Even if she dies, it's far from over. Corruption is going to be found out, and the truth will make itself known.

Posted by: Sirena at March 22, 2005 6:17 PM

I totally agree Sirena.

First of all there is going to be h*ll to pay with the politicos that voted to kill her.

I don't care what the polls say or have said. If I recall, the polls also predicted a large point spread victory for president for....John Kerry.

Didn't happen.

It's obvious the polls are slanted, the MSM is slanted, all to have one poor woman die.

Posted by: Ruth at March 22, 2005 6:21 PM

It may be a little off topic based on the blog article, but I thought this link was very informative. It's a blog of a doctor (neurologist) who's looked at Terri's CAT scan. He's appalled at the conclusions the court has been told about the scan. There are also lots of comments by other doctors in the comments section. Yours truely mentioned (near the bottom of the comments) the florida guardianship issues that appear to be plaguing the state. Since I've already mentioned it there, I won't repeat it here. But since the comments are already so long there, maybe we'd be interested in discussing it here?? Here's the link

Posted by: Ceci at March 22, 2005 6:23 PM

Wow... that link is very informative.

There is NO REASON why they couldn't do a PET scan and an MRI on her. NO REASON whatsoever. Medicine has improved a lot in the last 13 years. They can see so much more now than they used to.

I heard last night that Terri was not PVS but she had what appeared to be cerebral palsy. Should we dehydrate all those with cerebral palsy too? Because that's where we're going with this...

Pray, people... and call and continue to write.

Posted by: Sirena at March 22, 2005 6:47 PM

Great information Ceci with good analysis. Thanks. I also heard the doctor that MS hired for the court proceedings on a summary type deal on CNN. He actually said Terri had an EEG that was flat. The reporter/doctor was astounded as he said it is obvious that if an EEG was flat, that would indicate brain death and would require a respirator - and there would be no movements of any kind. I am an RN and I've seen people who have been brain dead. They are incapable of doing anything.

I too think that anyone who can do anything is simply choosing not to do anything. And a price will be paid for that - not only for Terri's death but for them. And I wouldn't want to be in their shoes in the future and certainly not the day they meet the true Judge.

Posted by: Sandy at March 22, 2005 6:47 PM

There's no reason to not have done a PET and/or MRI, unless the court *wants* to drag a case out for years. Why continue to chase your tail when there are methodologies that can answer the question definitively? More money was spent paying lawyers than it would have cost to have gotten an MRI and PET scan. Hmmmmm, makes ya wonder doesn't it.

The state of Florida has some intense guardianship capabilites. If a court declares you incompetant, they will appoint a guardian for you, perhaps even against your families wishes. Once done, I can't find any evidence that the state of Florida will allow a guardian to be challenged or removed.

Here's a site devoted to Florida's guardianship law.

Take a look at the other links on that site. One describes how an elderly woman was milked out of over 300,000 dollars and slowly starved to death over about a year by her guardian. The woman complained to all who would hear that her guardian was stealing her money and not feeding her enough, but the courts didn't listen.

Is it possible, that once Michael got the malpractice award, someone convinced him of Terri's "PVS" and started the process to setting Terri up to be robbed? Using Michaels agression and lack of knowledge, they made him combative and Felos get's to reap the benifit in constant court fees to the tune of 500K dollars or more. The site above implies a collusion in Florida between lawyers and doctors to milk elderly or incompetant patients out of their money by using guardianship tactics to do so.

Just a thought.....and it might be a bit fringe. .....dons tin foil hat..... But the theory explains why the killing of Terri seems like it's going to stick this time. The court sees no reason to intervene because the malpractice money is gone.

Posted by: Ceci at March 22, 2005 7:35 PM

Ooops!!!!!!! My comment should read collusion between florida lawyers and JUDGES. Sorry to all docs out there.

Posted by: Ceci at March 22, 2005 7:37 PM