« Donna M. Matincheck's guardian withdraws a petition to end life-sustaining treatment. The brain-damaged woman's mother had opposed the petition. | Main | Statement of the Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation »

March 31, 2005

Video: Family Lawyer and Priest speaks out about Terri's death

This is not just a death, it is a killing - Father Frank Pavone, Priests For Life.

- Thanks to The Political Teen

Terri died at 9:05 AM today, March 31, 2005. You can see the FoxNews video here of the press conference this morning by Father Frank Pavone and David Gibbs, the attorney for the Schindlers.

Terri's eyes were open at the last moment Father Pavone saw her. See and hear for yourself.

Cross posted at Hyscience

Posted by richard at March 31, 2005 11:29 AM

Comments

I think she died just like the Lord had intended. Her death will cause controversy for changes in the laws we live by. Even though the way she died doesn't seem right to us, it was the will of God. Many have prayed to the Lord for help. Believe me, he answered the prayers.....just not the answer everyone was looking for. Terri is in a better place now. I think it is time to let Michael and his family live in peace, as they have been through a lot as well. Not once has Michael made bad comments about the Schindlers yet he has taken so much criticism for doing what he felt was the right thing to do for Terri. Lets get the laws changed and move on.

Posted by: writedonnie at March 31, 2005 11:52 AM

writedonnie - You obviously don't know the Schindlers... Michael has no love for the Schindlers, and had said some horrible things about them. The mainstream media has always been pro-Michael in this matter. Please don't pretend to know what Michael has said or hasn't. I agree we need to get the laws changed, but frankly I will not let Michael Schiavo, Felos, or Greer off the hook for this injustice. I will not let them just sweep this situation under the carpet. It's unfortunately you don't see this situation for what it was. You obviously still believe that Michael was dehydrating his wife because that's what she wanted. No one would want to die that way.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 11:57 AM

writedonnie---DREAM ON YOU MS CRONIE!!! JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED FOR THE MURDER OF TERRI!!!

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 12:00 PM

And... if we had the same attitude you did, we would have just swept the Holocaust under the carpet and just forgotten about it. When people are being killed simply for being themselves, (disabled, mentally challenged, physically handicapped, Christian, Jewish, etc.) it is wrong, and we should NEVER just close our eyes and wish it never happened. What happened with Terri is outright murder.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 12:02 PM

AMEN JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED -

GOD BLESS TERRI SCHLINDLER AND HER FAMILY

TERRI WE WILL NEVER FORGET ! NEVER

AND WE WILL NEVER FORGET WHO WAS NOT ON THE SIDE FOR LIFE .. THE LINES WERE CLEARLY DRAWN

Posted by: keeka at March 31, 2005 12:04 PM

from CNN.com

John Centonze, the brother of Michael Schiavo's live-in girlfriend Jodi Centonze, said Michael Schiavo was with Terri Schiavo when she died.

A friend who phoned Michael Schiavo soon after news broke of his wife's death said he couldn't talk. "He (Michael) couldn't speak, he was crying," Russ Hyden said.

Posted by: Foug at March 31, 2005 12:09 PM

Hmm, looks like the media is now trying to make Michael be the bad guy... most headlines have subheadings along the lines of "Parents were denied being at daughters bedside by husband".

Also, for some unknown reason Foxnews.com has "Severly brain-damaged woman succumbs to illness at Florida Hospice."
ILLNESS?
Starvation and dehydration... DELIBERATE starvation and dehydration is now an "illness"???

Posted by: Foug at March 31, 2005 12:13 PM

I have already contacted the governor's office to let him know how much I appreciate his efforts(NOT)!
Governor, I wanted to personally thank you for standing up for Terri’s right to live (or maybe I should say the lack thereof). I am beyond disappointed in your tremendous effort to save her from judicial murder. In November I was 100% hoping you would run for president next time around (even sent president Bush a note saying--Jeb in 2008!!) Well it looks like the Bush legacy ends here. Both of you have been cowering to the criminal thugs that are obviously running this nation and it’s sickening! Congratulations on handing yourself a devastating political blow because you “couldn’t” override a court ruling for murder of an innocent woman. Next time I will vote for a real PRO-LIFE candidate who won’t ride the fence when it comes to matters of morality and human decency!

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 12:25 PM

I thought this was worth passing along---
**CITIZENLINK SPECIAL REPORT**
Terri Schiavo Dies

SUMMARY: Dr. Dobson laments court-ordered starvation and
dehydration of disabled Florida woman as "cold-blooded
extermination of an innocent human life."

Terri Schiavo died this morning in a Florida hospice, two
weeks after her feeding tube was removed by court order.

Dr. James Dobson, founder and chairman of Focus on the
Family, expressed his condolences to Schiavo's parents,
Bob and Mary Schindler.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schindlers, who
have been made to watch their beloved daughter waste away
for the last two weeks -- under not only the approval of
the courts, but under their direct order," Dobson said.

"Every Florida and federal judge who failed to act to
spare this precious woman from the torment she was forced
to endure is guilty not only of judicial malfeasance --
but of the cold-blooded, cold-hearted extermination of an
innocent human life. Terri Schiavo has been executed under
the guise of law and 'mercy,' for being guilty of nothing
more than the inability to speak for herself."

The Schindlers and Schiavo's siblings were not allowed to
be with her when she died at about 10 a.m. EST, according
to news reports. Their access to her hospice room was
denied by Michael Schiavo, who led the legal battle over
the last decade to put his brain-damaged wife to death and
-- now that he has succeeded -- is free to marry his
longtime girlfriend, by whom he has two children.

"I grieve for the Schindlers today," Dobson said, "and I
fear for the future of our nation."

(Please visit the CitizenLink Web site --
http://www.citizenlink.org -- throughout the day for more
updates and reactions to Terri Schiavo's death. A complete
report will also be included in today's regular Daily
E-mail Update.)

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 12:40 PM

Dear rkndhse,

There is reason to believe that JFK said no to the "criminal thugs that run this country" and died the next day. We could have a Clinton who goes all out to aid and abet the criminal thugs. We are a conquered nation, you know, and resistence is all we've got left.

If any one comes across Dr. Smith, would you ask him to see my question to him under the original notification of Terri's death. We need a professional opinion here, at least I do. Thank you for your help

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 12:52 PM

mary et. al, I see what you're saying but I guess I don't see the difference between aiding and abetting or indifference. It still produces the same result and evil is still prevailing. Someone needs to take a stand so that our country does continue down this road.

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 12:59 PM

Sorry, does not continue down this road (oops).

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 1:00 PM

Has anyone heard if the family will be filing a wrongful death suit against MS?

Posted by: delphinius at March 31, 2005 1:10 PM

rkndhse,

I wrote you a nice long response and this blankety blank thing turned around and said I wasn't signed in and wiped it out. Grrr!

I'll try this again. The difference is between a man who is all for this evil agenda and does his level best to promote it and one who isn't for it and tries not to promote it. If I were a person of goodwill in an office owned by the thugs (never been there, but I will try to imagine this), I think I would go along with them while sneaking little monkey wrenches into the works where possible. I could go out in a blaze of glory like JFK but then I wouldn't be able to do anything anymore. However, if an opportunity arose where I could throw a really big monkey wrench in, I hope God would give me the grace to do that, even though it cost me my life.

You are right we must take a stand and I am currently in the process of trying to figure out a wise, prudent and effective stand to take with the help of Dave MN. That is why I need to hear so badly from Dr. Smith and would really appreciate any help I can get locating him. I put my question to him under the original posting of Terri's death.

Thank you for pursueing this, rkndhse.

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 1:24 PM

Wrongful Death?????

Are you even following the same story? This was legally justified. This is what Terri wanted and Every court in the land agreed.

Some people!

Posted by: writedonnie at March 31, 2005 1:31 PM

writedonnie - you are either very uninformed, or a troll trying to cause trouble.

Just because something was found "legal" doesn't make it right.

The Schindlers could file a wrongful death suit and quite possibly win.

If you even did your research you'd know that Terri never said dying by starvation is what she wanted. That's why we were fighting so hard for her.

If you're ever disabled, God forbid the court finds it legal to starve you to death, just on hearsay.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 1:36 PM

"every court in the land agreed."

"they were no help, nor to any profit, but to confusion and reproach."

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 1:37 PM

writedonnie,
The killing of six million Jews was "legally justified" too. Every court in the land agreed!

To say that Michael's claim that she said she didn't want to live that way was "clear and convincing" (which is what the courts said) despite the many witnesses to the contrary, and despite Michael's obvious conflict of interest is laughable.

Posted by: VicarDave at March 31, 2005 1:40 PM

I'm not saying it was morally or ethically right. We have to live by the laws of the land whether we agree with them or not. We elected the politicians, therefore we must go along with the decisions they make.

All we can do is try to work together to change the laws.

I agree, there should be laws in place that mandate written documentation of one's wishes to die when in this state. Whether by starvation or any other mean is entirely determined on the laws governing life support.

Posted by: writedonnie at March 31, 2005 1:41 PM

mary et. al, I agree that passively trying to make a difference is the best way to proceed but once you figure out that it is not going to work then it's time to take a major and admittedly risky stand for what's right. I know we are both on the same side we just differ on Jeb's role in this case. I appreciate what you are doing and I'm sure once you figure out a plan to move forward it will be posted and I am willing to do whatever it takes to change the road we are currently on. Thanks, Mary!

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 1:41 PM

rkndhse (Tom, for short),

Where in the world did you get the word "passive". I would not be passive, or endorse passive, but would do what ever possible at every opportunity with the view toward surviving to do more again and again (a la The Great Escape).

But that would be the scenario for those in the enemy camp. For those of us out here, we can use other methods of resistence.

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 2:04 PM

Tom? mary et. al, Anyway I'm not going to argue about it--I think Jeb should have done more, you don't--end of story. Keep up the good work you are trying to do!

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 2:09 PM

I just heard on the news that it is possible that the medical examiner will classify this as a homicide and proceed from there.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 2:13 PM

Tom,

I don't say Jeb couldn't have done more, maybe, maybe not, but if it had of been Clinton or one like him, he would have helped move this up a long time ago, via every bit of legislation, executive orders, etc. he could think of.

There will be no good instances here, but some will be a lot worse than others, depending on the man.

Will keep you posted.

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 2:14 PM

acl, where did you hear it? Is there somewhere we can go to see it also? Thanks!

Posted by: rkndhse at March 31, 2005 2:15 PM

It was on Fox-I am looking on the internet now for something-I will let you know

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 2:21 PM

Felos is on T.V. how touching

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 2:31 PM

To all Those who know that Terri wanted to be taken off the feeding tube, I say you are so wrong YOU were not there and it is only hear say by her so called husband, Which in legal terms is not allowed in a court of law, WOW!!!!!

Posted by: wildatt. at March 31, 2005 2:31 PM

Is anyone listening to this Man? Now Michael is the victim because he was traumatized by the family going back to court yesterday. Oh now he is blasting the priest-be careful Felos

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 2:35 PM

Felos: Terri had a right to have her final moments on earth be surrounded by love.

So why was Felos there?

This guy is unreal-absolutely the cruelest of human beings

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 2:43 PM

ACL You are just like the Schindler's and freinds. You guys just feel that bashing Michael and his attorney, is going to make you feel better. I can't believe the trash he has had to put up with through all this.

Posted by: writedonnie at March 31, 2005 2:44 PM

Household of faith :
One thing I have been moved to pray for over and over during this whole ordeal is that those that profess to be God's (Whatever denomination) would be awoken to the tragic state of our country that Terri's struggle has portrayed to our faces. I am deeply troubled by the "ho-hum" or "I am too busy, don't want to get involved" attitude among those that I know locally, and I have a sneaking sense that it's not just here ....

I hope that I am just seeing it wrongly, and that there are indeed more awake that it appears.

Dave

Posted by: Dave_MN at March 31, 2005 2:48 PM

Donnie-- there is a mountain of evidence against Michael Schiavo. Many are outraged at him and at his lawyer, and at the circles they've run in. When people here are speaking negatively about Michael and his team, it is true outrage sparked by misdeeds... not just people "trying to make themselves feel better."
May God be with all those involved, however, as what they're feeling is a thousandfold more than we could imagine.

Posted by: Foug at March 31, 2005 2:56 PM

writedonnie,
I think a person should have to "put up with a lot of trash" when they kill someone.

Just my opinion...

Posted by: VicarDave at March 31, 2005 3:00 PM

Donnie
This is a man who represents a man who would not let a women who was being murdereds family come and see her and he has the audacity to say that it is because Bobby Schindler resisted leaving and Michael was afraid it would disurb Terris peace. That is the last I will say to you. Comment how you wish. There are plenty of people on here who do not completely agree with everything that is being said but have some very constructive things to say and who manage to spark very good debate. You are just trying to cause trouble.

Terri's Family- I am sorry you have to listen to this man on T.V. degrade your situation even more.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 3:04 PM

I have been watching with great disgust Felos in a news conference. The depths this man will sink to is amazing. He sat on national television and lied his face off! Then he makes the comment that this is what he wants to relay "factually"!

He pointed fingers at Father Pavone, and Bobby Shindler. Basically he said that Bobby made a scene with one of the officers when one of the hospice workers asked them to leave so they could assess Terri.

Everytime I see that man in actio it just makes my blood boil. How could anyone look at him, listen to him and analyze the manipulative filth that comes out of is mouth and think hey, this is a great guy?

Posted by: imdll at March 31, 2005 3:06 PM

Thank you Vicar Dave!

Dave MN-You are so right. I commented on this last night after I got home from church on one of the other threads. I go to a church of over 5000 people and I am very much involved-this was not even discussed last night except for by me-not even prayed for during bible study. I asked my dear friend who is a matter of the pastoral staff and was told that they were afraid of the political fallout. I was told that this was the view of many churches around the nation. Political Fallout= less offering money

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 3:08 PM

I noticed Felos would not give a direct answer on the life insurance policy question-

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 3:12 PM

Yes he seems very proficient at legalsleez. I can't believe that he can say some of the things that he does with a straight face or just simply not be struck down where he stands! The way he twists things is quite amazing to watch in action.

There has to be those who will stop this.

Posted by: imdll at March 31, 2005 3:20 PM

Many are saying it was God's will that she died a 15 yrs. ago when in fact if it was his will 15 yrs. ago, she would have been passed on. God would'nt have made a boo boo. Just wanted to make that clear to those who are using that as an excuse & giving God's abilities a whole new meaning...one of thier own.

Posted by: RobynWrites at March 31, 2005 3:37 PM

I'm not trying to cause any kind of trouble. I just can't see why people in here think that good comes from bashing other people. All I have been hearing are people bashing the Shiavos. Let me just say this: I DO NOT AGREE WITH MICHAEL, HIS ATTORNEY, OR THE COURTS FOR WHAT THEY LET HAPPEN TO TERRI!

I simply believe, that if we the people vote these politicians and their laws into office, WE are to blame just as well. We have a voice and can make it heard by confronting those we elected into power.

Yes I do believe God's Will was to get people such as us to debate over this issue to get these laws changed.

My job is and will continue to be, "Get the message out"!

Posted by: writedonnie at March 31, 2005 4:01 PM

I am so disgusted at the fact that Michael wouldn't even let Teri's family in the room. Who is he to deny her parents, the people that gave her life, access to their dying daughter?? He will have his day!! My blood is boiling over this!! Heaven has a new angel today...Rest in Peace Terri!

Posted by: dani at March 31, 2005 4:03 PM

If someone killed someone you loved, I doubt you would be happy about it either. I don't think talking negatively about Michael is "bashing" him. I think someone who kills someone is going to get some flack for it. He's made his bed, and now he has to lie in it, along with Felos and Greer. I don't wish any harm to anyone one of them or their family, that would be going against my beliefs as a supporter of life, but I do pray that justice will be done for Terri and her family.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 4:23 PM

I don't feel a bit guilty "trashing" Michael any more than I trashed O.J. Simpson.

A scumbag is a scumbag, and there's no use trying to sugarcoat it.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at March 31, 2005 4:30 PM

Since Michael Schiavo will not allow Terri to have a proper burial and insist on cremating her , (was that cremation also her wishes also Michael ?) or just another way to control and cover up, when Michael does cremate Terri , I think Terri supporters should go to Michael and Jodi home on MARRIE CT CLEARWATER, FL (off of Enterprise) around the clock to mourn Terri forever and I hope the public will never let them live in peace. but remind them daily that the public will never forget that they murdered Terri. I also believe Jodi was part of this murder. Terri will have the last word after the autopsy .Terri go in peace and be with God

Posted by: msTChamberlain at March 31, 2005 8:14 PM

Posted by: msTChamberlain at March 31, 2005 8:17 PM

MsTChamberlain:

Thank you for the info on where they live---I may send them a "sympathy" card every day for years on end.....

Sorry, I can't visit in person, it would destroy my resolve NOT to provide any of my hard earned income to the "Death without Dignity" state.

Posted by: Tress at March 31, 2005 8:26 PM

But Donnie seriously, the truth can not be told without saying bad things about these people-they did bad things-they are not good people. THat is truth that needs to get out there. If nothing else let us go back-once again to her final moment on earth when this man would not let her own FLESH AND BLOOD who wanted to keep her alive be in the room with her-Instead she was surrounded by Michael-which for the sake of appeasement I can consider acceptable, and all of Michaels lawyers. That is the definition of a really, really, bad person. For the rest of their lives they will have to wonder what really happened to their daughter the last few minutes here on earth-that is not right-Bobby offered to be in the room at the same time-he did not want to leave-For Michael it was one more way to be cruel.

The real question in all of this stands behind the facts-Michael wanted her to die-Her parents wanted her to live. Who had more to gain by standing their ground? Her parents were willing to assume all financial burndens and take care of her for the rest of her life-until she died of natural causes. Michael would not let them do that-How very very very odd. It would cost him nothing to give her up he could have gone on with his life. That being said, if people are aying bad things about him-well, if the shoe fits......

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 8:45 PM

No one pointed out that Michael has been profiled as have a similar personality as OJ Simpson. OJ won in court against the murder charges but lost the wrongful death.

Michael is clearly mentally ill. How can only comptent judge miss this?.

I am tired of hearing from his brothers. Michael is doing himself in.

Posted by: Julie at March 31, 2005 10:17 PM