« Paving the way for euthanasia legalization | Main | Purim: A message from the book of Esther that applies to Terri »

March 23, 2005

UPDATE from Press Conference

Here's the latest update from the press conference (Still underway? Expect further details later):

* Pleaded with Justice Kennedy and the US Supreme Court to "not rush to judgement," hoping for a stay so the case can be fully investigated.

* More people (including Terri's sister, Suzanne) going to Tallahassee to work on legislative action

* Senate President LEE and the GOP majority: "you have the fate of Terri in your hands". House has approved legislation, it's completely up to them. "If she dies, it's on their watch."

* Florida DCF is moving to have records unsealed

* If failure at US Supreme Court and Florida legislature fails to act, they plead with Governor Bush to use some executive authority to save Terri: "You may be Terri's last hope."

PHONE CALLS!
Larcenia J. Bullard 850-487-5127
Walter Campbell, Jr. 850-487-5094
J.D. Alexander 850-487-5044
Nancy Argenziano 850-487-5017
Paula Dockery 850-487-5040
Lisa Carlton 850-487-5081
Evelyn J. Lynn 850-487-5033
Burt L. Saunders 850-487-5124
Michael Bennett 850-487-5078
Dennis Jones 850-487-5065

[Note: Press conference information was just taken from television coverage of the press conference; I apologize for the sloppiness!]

[Cross-posted at My VRWC]

Posted by beth at March 23, 2005 9:39 AM

Comments

Would it be of any use for US citizens who are not Florida residents to call the people whose numbers are listed above?

I want to help and calling and writing seems to be all I can do, but in this particular instance, I only want to call if doing so will not get in the way of meaningful calls from registered FLA voters, and FLA residents.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Wondering at March 23, 2005 10:09 AM

THE BLATENT DISREGARD TO PROTECT TERRI SCHIAVOS RIGHT TO RECIEVE NUTRITION IS IGNORED TIME AFTER TIME... INGNORANCE WOULD BE BLISS!! IF I DIDN'T KNOW
WHAT I KNOW TO BE SO WRONG, WOULD BE SO WONDERFUL!! WHY ARE THESE JUDGES ABLE TO INGNORE AND NOT CONSIDER THE FACT THAT THIS WOMA DID NOT HAVE A LIVING WILL? MICHAEL SCHIAVO IS A LIAR AND AN OBVIOUS UNCREDIBLE WITTNESS AS TO WHAT SHE SAID! BESIDES IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS SHE DOES NOT HAVE A LIVING WILL.

Posted by: Linda at March 23, 2005 10:23 AM

If you can get through on the phone (I haven't been able to, myself!), I doubt they'd ask. But I don't think it really matters. If it makes you feel better though, just email them. Thanks for asking--good question!

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 10:23 AM

I've emailed them (and I was nice and professional, too). Do they really read them, though. I've lost so much faith in our "representatives" I'm not sure what to think or who to believe. I've been so wrapped up in this emotionally, I'm having difficulty focusing on anything else.

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 10:28 AM

?_?

I'm confused about this... "Florida DCF is moving to have records unsealed". Didn't DCF ask Judge Greer to keep them sealed, and he made them public anyway?

Posted by: Jane at March 23, 2005 10:30 AM

can Terri blink on command...she seems to me she is alert enough to answer a question without verbally expressing it...I know the firstquestion I would ask!

Posted by: why? at March 23, 2005 10:35 AM

Dear Wondering,

Even if you are from out of state, you can impress upon the legislators that Florida will become the state of darkness and no longer the "sunshine state". You can say that you are wary of taking family to visit and you would definitely not retire there since the vulnerable are no longer safe. Their economy is dependent upon these things.

Posted by: chris K at March 23, 2005 10:36 AM

it would seem to me if she can look her mother in the eye she could be asked a series of y/n questions to validate she is doing it purposfully.....damn it, this is frustrating

Posted by: why? at March 23, 2005 10:39 AM

Years ago when my grandmother was dying of a rare form of muscular dystrophy, she reached a point where the only way she could communicate was through use of a "spelling board." She would look at letters on the board to spell out what she wanted to say. I hope Terri gets the opportunity to try this.

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 10:45 AM

why?

I think the point is the opposition doesn't want to know or, more accurately, they don't want us to know.

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 10:47 AM

Apparently she isn't "ALLOWED" to try the message board, per Michael's instructions.

That said, it's possible that even though she CAN definitely respond, her mental level may be that of a baby or toddler, so...try to imagine asking (God forbid) such questions of a baby or toddler...

Of course, we don't STARVE babies to death because they can't communicate well with us!

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 10:49 AM

Judge Greer's Order (Denying Motion to provide nutrition "naturally") is illegal:

The 2004 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 825
ABUSE, NEGLECT, AND EXPLOITATION OF ELDERLY PERSONS AND DISABLED ADULTS

825.102 Abuse, aggravated abuse, and neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult; penalties.--

(1) "Abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult" means:

(a) Intentional infliction of physical or psychological injury upon an elderly person or disabled adult;

(b) An intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or psychological injury to an elderly person or disabled adult; or

(c) Active encouragement of any person to commit an act that results or could reasonably be expected to result in physical or psychological injury to an elderly person or disabled adult.

A person who knowingly or willfully abuses an elderly person or disabled adult without causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the elderly person or disabled adult commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(2) "Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult" occurs when a person:

(a) Commits aggravated battery on an elderly person or disabled adult;

(b) Willfully tortures, maliciously punishes, or willfully and unlawfully cages, an elderly person or disabled adult; or

(c) Knowingly or willfully abuses an elderly person or disabled adult and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the elderly person or disabled adult.

A person who commits aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3)(a) "Neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult" means:

1. A caregiver's failure or omission to provide an elderly person or disabled adult with the care, supervision, and services necessary to maintain the elderly person's or disabled adult's physical and mental health, including, but not limited to, food, nutrition, clothing, shelter, supervision, medicine, and medical services that a prudent person would consider essential for the well-being of the elderly person or disabled adult; or

2. A caregiver's failure to make a reasonable effort to protect an elderly person or disabled adult from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person.

Neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult may be based on repeated conduct or on a single incident or omission that results in, or could reasonably be expected to result in, serious physical or psychological injury, or a substantial risk of death, to an elderly person or disabled adult.

(b) A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects an elderly person or disabled adult and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the elderly person or disabled adult commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(c) A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects an elderly person or disabled adult without causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the elderly person or disabled adult commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

History.--s. 3, ch. 95-158; s. 2, ch. 96-322.

Posted by: Raquel at March 23, 2005 10:49 AM

I agree that Terri should have opportunities to express herself. But she might have problems with a spelling board because (I imagine) her literacy may have suffered from such long disuse.

She should not be required to earn her food and wter by being forced to perform or prove herself in any way.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 23, 2005 10:50 AM

Good Morning Beth and All...

I keep trying to call and just cannot get thru. I have emailed the list. Virginia, it is possible that they won't be read unfortunately. However, they will know that they are being inundated with mail. That in itself I think will send a message.

I am wondering what avenues exist for Gov Bush to step in again at the 11th hour. As you all probably know, back in 2003 he did do exactly that issuing an executive order to have Terri's feeding tube reinserted. An important note about that is the fact that Michael covertly snatched Terri from the hospital, taking her back to the hospice center before she was rehydrated in accordance with the Gov's order. It would be my hope that as we wait for the order to stop this killing, that some action would also be taken to REMOVE Michael Schiavo as her guardian and a restraining order issued against him. I am of course focused on pushing the powers that be to stop this killing immediately, but we need to be prepared for the fact that Michael Schiavo is very determined to see Terri die.

>>>>remaining staunch in my hope that right will win today.

Megan

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 23, 2005 10:50 AM

Virginia, why wouldn't her parents have tried this during the time they did have access to her? If this was my daughter I would have tried evrything to communicate with her...I sound frustrated because I am....I think she deserves to live and ( or at least work towards a point were she can make her own decision). I don't think her parents should be taling so much through their attorney right now, this is deperate. Her mother should be everywhere (via satellite) telling her story.....

Posted by: why? at March 23, 2005 10:51 AM

Apparently, the judges and Mr. Schiavo are above the law. Or make their own law as they go along. Or something.

Posted by: Amy at March 23, 2005 10:52 AM

But, Raquel, I thought Terri "wanted" to be unlawfully caged, maliciously punished, and willfully tortured and abused.

/sarcasm

God, this makes me want to scream!

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 10:54 AM

If Jeb were to try again with an executive order, the Florida Supreme Court would act immidiately, as opposed to the last time where they had to scramble. Regardless of where the Florida Supreme Court stands on this issue, none of them would allow Jeb to enact such an order on the basis that it over-rides all judicial authority, thus making it unconsitutional. Their personal opinions wouldn't come into play on such a matter, so really, you shouldn't expect Jeb to succeed even if he tried it again.

Posted by: jason at March 23, 2005 10:55 AM

Jason,
Since when did judicial authority supercede executive authority?
Has there been a constitutional amendment that I missed?

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 10:58 AM

Hi Megan! Did you come to gaze at the trolls here? They LOVE this site! LOL

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 10:59 AM

why? -

I don't know.

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 11:00 AM

anyone have contact info that nurse that was on Fox Yesterday, so we can ask her?

Posted by: why? at March 23, 2005 11:02 AM

People for the culture of Life, please continue to pray. The opposition are not praying.

Posted by: Theresa Burke at March 23, 2005 11:02 AM

What law gives the court system the right to legally starve a person to death? Terri and her family have suffered for 15 years now - if her parents are willing to endure her care...how can the court systems deny them?

I am not a Florida resident - and would be concerned to reside in that state. I have emailed all of the politicians that were listed but I'm sure all they know is that they are getting a ton of phone calls and emails.

Keep praying...it's not over yet.

Posted by: Martin at March 23, 2005 11:03 AM

Who ever posted this information, I have to say thanks! cause now I'm going to email all of my senators and represetatives here in florida, and ASK THEM NOT TO INTERFERE WITH THE COURT'S DECISIONS!

Congress has already overstepped their bounds, and we must NOT have a repeat of these events.
Although, I don't like the courts decision, we have to respect the court of Law, even if it doesn't always work in our favor.

Posted by: chug's at March 23, 2005 11:04 AM

Beth (OT)- I know you may not be able to answer this and I understand if you don't, but do you know what happened to that "weird" post earlier?

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 11:06 AM

Courts aren't the Rulers of this country even though they think they are. It's time they were taken down a notch or two by the other nearly irrelevant branches of this government.

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 11:11 AM

Here is a good article and it tell what both Bushes can do:

Innocent Blood on Hands of Bush Brothers - and God's Wrath - If Everything Not Done to Save Terri Schiavo

The following "Open Letter" to President George W. Bush and Florida Governor Jeb Bush has been issued by myself and my brother Stephen Peroutka

Dear Mr. President And Governor Bush:

Greetings, friends, in the blessed Name of our Lord, apart from Whom we can do nothing (John 15:5). We write to both of you as fellow Christians and beseech you, respectfully, to do everything within your considerable power to keep Terri Schiavo from being murdered in cold blood.

The New International Version translation of Proverbs 24:11-12, referring to those who are innocent, reads: "Rescue those being led away to death ... If you say, 'But we knew nothing about this,' does not He Who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not He Who guards your life know it? Will He not repay each person according to what he has done?"

Explaining this passage from God's Word, the great Puritan Bible commentator Matthew Henry says that it requires "a great duty" from us, "that is to appear for the relief of oppressed innocency," that we ought "to bestir ourselves all we can to save them ... If any [innocent person] be set upon by force or violence, and it be in our power to rescue them, we ought to do it."

This Proverb, of course, applies to all of us. But, all of us do not have it within our power and ability to rescue Terri Schiavo, to stop her from being murdered in cold blood.

You, Mr. President, and you, Governor Bush do, however, have this power. And we intend no presumption, sirs, when we tell both of you that you must exercise the power you have to save Terri Schiavo's life because God commands you to do so and your oath of office makes it your affirmative duty!

Both of you have the power and ability to stop the murder of Terri Schiavo. If you do not act and use the power you have, her innocent blood will be on your hands.

Here, please, are some of the things we think both of you have the power and ability to do right away:

--- You, Mr. President, could order Federal marshals to be sent to guard Terri Schiavo, have her feeding tube reinserted, and arrest anyone who attempted her murder by removing this tube. If her case goes all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, and the ruling there is to take her feeding tube out, ignore this ruling and leave the Federal marshals there as long as is necessary to keep her from being murdered. Any court ruling that orders murder is illegal and binds nobody.

--- You, Governor Bush, could do, basically, the same thing --- order your relevant law enforcement personnel to take Terri Schiavo into protective custody; order her feeding tube to be reinserted; and arrest anyone who attempts to murder her be removing this feeding tube. And if any court, at any level, orders her feeding tube to be removed, ignore this order because no court order that orders the murder of anybody has any validity.

Mr. President, Governor Bush, you are men to whom much has been given; thus much is required of you. We pray fervently that you do your Christian and Constitutional duty (remember your oath) and act now to save the life of Terri Schiavo.

Source: http://www.godfamilyrepublic.com/schedule/index.php?action=eventview&event_id=690

Posted by: Aaron at March 23, 2005 11:12 AM

Can't Jeb take her in protective custody? Above is a petition I signed.

Posted by: Loretta at March 23, 2005 11:12 AM

> People for the culture of Life, please continue
> to pray. The opposition are not praying.

Theresa, I am so horrified by what is happening to Terri, I didn't think it was possible for me to laugh at all, but your observation here is the most cutting, bright, and hopeful I've seen in weeks!

It's soooo true. I'll go throw another candle in my shrine.

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 23, 2005 11:13 AM

I live in Illinois. I not only called, I emailed. Mike Schiavo is a domestic abusing murder. I am contacting gov bushs office as we speak to make the suggestions above.

If the past is any indication, he will be stepping in again.

Then again, maybe Schiavo will have a heart attack from all the stress and Terri will be freed.

Posted by: Julie at March 23, 2005 11:15 AM

Here is the URL for the petition

Posted by: Loretta at March 23, 2005 11:16 AM

Virginia--about the mysteriously disappearing weird comment--I can't even remember which one it was; I've been a busy little comment janitor this morning. Monkeys crapping all over the rug, and I'm not feeling particularly charitable this morning. ;-) Not that I'm known for my tolerance of trolling, anyway...hehehe

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 11:19 AM

> It's time were taken down a notch
> or two by the other nearly irrelevant branches
> of this government.

We need to start a movement to term limit ALL federal judges. (The states would follow suit in time.) Life time appointement seems to leave judges' minds steeped so long in "legalism", that they lose sight of all humanity.

What is going on here IS a crime against humanity.

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 23, 2005 11:19 AM

Oh Beth...trolls here?? Color me shocked. Don't the profoundly stupid always gather where intelligent discourse lives?

Grrrrrrrr

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 23, 2005 11:22 AM

I have become disillusioned by this whole process. However, should the court's current position remain unchanged, there are things we can do to make sure Terri does not die in vain.

-Contact your state congressman and require a living will indicating the individual's wishes before treatment can be withheld.

-Contact the states of Florida and Texas and have them repeal their respective Medical Futility Acts.

-Have food and water removed from the list of "life prolonging procedures" that may be withheld under Florida law.

Hopefully, this kind of tradgedy will never happen again.

Posted by: John at March 23, 2005 11:22 AM

Beth-
LOL, okay :o)

Posted by: Virginia at March 23, 2005 11:23 AM

Loretta - Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of that petition. I put the link in the entry (linked on "...save Terri")

Posted by: Beth at March 23, 2005 11:23 AM

We seem to have a new religion in our country, where judges are our priests and gods, never to be questioned.

Besides being morally repugnant this shows ignorance of American history.

The Congress, the representatives of the people, is the most fundamental aspect of our government. Congress was originally called the Continental Congress, before we had our Constitution. This first Congress CREATED the executive and the judiciary and freely chose to share its own power with them.

The representatives of the people are our original and supreme government. The people through our representatives have the right, at all times, to take away the power we have made a free, sovereign, and revocable choice to SHARE with the judiciary.

Was everybody just fast asleep back in grade school? Don't you remember the Declaration of Independence?

Significantly, the very first words of the Declaration are

"IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776" IN CONGRESS!!!!

And goes on to say:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Those of you who are concerned about upholding the law of the land, please take a good look at our country's history, what the fundamental law of our land really is, and the history and the principles that undergird it.

Those of us who are resisting this tyranny are the ones who are really being loyal to our Founding Fathers and their democratic cause.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 23, 2005 11:26 AM

I am so angry right now! Terri is being MURDERED!

Posted by: GeorgiaGuy at March 23, 2005 11:32 AM

You wanna know what makes me even more angry?

When the pro-murder monsters go on TV arguing that starving Terri to death in justified because after all these years she, "has now gotten any better."

HOW CAN SHE GET BETTER WHEN ALL PHYSICAL THERAPY, medical treatment, and even STIMULATION has been CUT OFF FROM HER!

How can she get better!

Those guys should just stay at home and lock themselves in their room the next time they need to see a doctor about an illness and see if they magically get better with no help at all!

Michael has cut out any physical therapy of any kind, stopped people from trying to feed her, suppressed the fact she was trying to talk, would not let any speech pathologists help her, and would not even let the nurses place a rag in her hand for goodness sakes to prevent her fingers from curling!

HOW CAN SHE GET BETTER WITH A MURDEROUS ADULTURER TAKING AWAY ALL FORMS OF TREATMENT!

Posted by: GeorgiaGuy at March 23, 2005 11:36 AM

In Iran the judges have no term limits either and they now dominate everything in that country. Many people may not even realize that Iran has a president and a legislature but they are nearly irrelevant.

I'm afraid the same thing is happening here now.

It's funny that the people on the other side of this issue - those who do their "research" by turning on the TV - feel that this issue is about "government" interferring with the lives of common people.

They're not worried about a few judges interferring?

Also, if allowing someone to murder their ex-wife - on purpose, or commit any murder for that matter, is "interferring with a private affair," then why are we arresting people who shake their own children to death - by accident? Isn't their disicipline their own private business too?

Posted by: Ann Brown at March 23, 2005 11:38 AM

Beth and chris k.,

Thanks for the information. I will do what I can. I am considering contacting my own Congressional Rep., and Senators. I realize to a large extent, it is now out of their hands, but I want to ensure they know about Terri's nurse's affidavit, and about Barbara Weller's experience with Terri, on Friday. That is not getting any mainstream press.

A suggestion: Concerned people here, should contact their local TV news (stick to the the local affiliates of the big networks), and the newspapers of the major cities in their area, and pass on the information supplied by Barbara Weller. Perhaps the information given by the poor Schindler family can be (wrongfully) written off as if it were given by people who can't face reality (to be clear, I do not think that, but I think that's the case with most of the media and the uniformed public). But that an attorney, and therefore officer of the court, is reporting that she saw and heard Terri speak, and that there was a police officer who witnessed this incident, *really* ought to be taken more seriously. There is no motive for Weller to be anything less than truthful in this. She would seriously damage her professional reputation, yet the press is not covering her experience with Terri. Is anyone in contact with Weller? Can she call a press conference? Would the media respond if she did?

I can't pretend to know what is actually right in the larger situation. I do know though what is wrong here, though. It is WRONG to allow this woman to starve and dehydrate to death, while there remains so much doubt as to her condition (and how she got into it), and while she is under the care of a guardian whose reason for being her guardian was cast away, by him.

I do not blame Michael Schiavo for going on with his life. I do blame him for trying to continue on as his estranged wife's guardian, even though he has gone on with his life. The law recognizes our spouses as our legal next-of-kin, because of the substance of the relationship between husband and wife. Even without casting any aspersions on Michael Schiavo's character, it seems plain to me, that since he is now living, for all intents and purposes, as another woman's husband, in all meaningful senses of the word (sharing a home, parenting children), he should no longer be recognized as Terri's next of kin. He has already chosen, by his actions, to be the next of kin of his de facto wife and their children, instead.

Thank you for the information provided in the blog. All the best to you.

Posted by: Wondering at March 23, 2005 11:38 AM

"It's been 15 years" of cognitive impairment and reliance on personal caregivers, not of terminal illness, total unconsciousness, or anything like that. Please study the facts of Terri's case. This is not a coma case.

People don't take 15 years to die. If the person is still alive 15 years later, by definition they are not dying.

People die all the time. Dying is a terrifyingly easy thing to have happen. Fifty thousand people a year die just in car accidents! If a DECISION has to be made by HUMAN BEINGS as to WHETHER a person will die, THAT MEANS THEY WEREN'T REALLY DYING TO BEGIN WITH AND WHAT YOU ARE DECIDING IS TO DELIBERATELY KILL THEM.

This is basic logic. We hold these truths to be self-evident. ALL men and women are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator with certain INALIENABLE rights. Among these rights are LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Terri is still holding on after 5 days with no food and water.

If she really wanted to die, don't you think her body would shut down quickly? What does the fact that she is hanging on say to you?

Five days is the minimum that's usually quoted for the time span of death by starvation. She's gone longer before. This is clearly a person with a strong will to live.

If people were starving me and I felt no hope, I might be tempted to give up and die early to end my suffering.

But Terri hangs on through the suffering because she has hope for a future life.

But you don't believe that because her brain doesn't work as well as yours, she doesn't have the same attractive, normal muscle tone that you do, her voice is garbled and unattractive, you are actually stupid enough to think that means she has no mind and consciousness.

You might as well start starving laryngitis patients to death. After all, they can't talk to tell you whether they want to live!

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 23, 2005 11:42 AM

its time to educate people about Terri. Fox News has a secion where you can e-mail you thoughts about terri here http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77925,00.html (you might have to register first)

boy some of these people are misinformed!

Posted by: Aaron at March 23, 2005 11:43 AM

ehat can we do to help push the Florida DCF process along?

Posted by: why? at March 23, 2005 11:43 AM

When the Terri-killers say 'she can't communicate whether she wants to live' what they really mean is 'people who can't talk or write like most of us DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASSERT THEIR DESIRE TO LIVE.'

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 23, 2005 11:47 AM

So why is it OK for the courts to murder Terri, even though we have no idea if she "wanted this," when it's NOT OK for Jack Kevorkian to provide the medicine for a person to commit suicide?????

I want to e-mail the legislators and governor in FL, but I'm in WA. So I'm planning to boycott travel to/products from FL, as some have recommended. Any suggestion as to how long, if, GOD FORBID, Terri dies?

Posted by: Kirstin Reeder at March 23, 2005 11:59 AM

Kirstin even though you are in WA please contact whomever you can. These people down in Florida need to know that the country has its eye on them. And if you call the President or other federal officials, I think the fact that you are from the west coast which is perceived as more liberal will help them see this is not a partisan, regional, or cultural issue. That's why one of the first people I called about this was my stepdad in Washington state. I told him one call from his district was probably worth 15 from out here in flyover country. Especially since the PNW is associated with euthanasia because of some of what's gone on in Oregon.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 23, 2005 12:08 PM

Well I just now (finally) got through to the Governor's office. I spoke with a surprisingly patient woman who took my information and any message I wanted passed along to the governor. Which of course I did.

When asked about the position the Governor is considering with regard to possible intervention, she just said that the "Governor is looking into all of his options." She agreed that email is extraordinarily heavy but to continue to email and call.

Megan

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 23, 2005 12:08 PM

Terri Schivo may not have the physical and mental ability to speak for herself and may have had her rights legally removed by the granting of guardianship to her estranged husband, BUT everything that Michael has done is suspect, including reports of abuse in the hospice when he is alone with her. There must be an inquiry and evaluation of his acts of commission ommision as her guardian.

No one should have such complete control of a person or complete determination of what happens to her without accounting to her family, at the least, and to the public and justice system.

If Michael Schiavo has nothing to hide, he should consent to the unsealing and release of all of her records. If he doesn't, the courts should order this immediately. This may be the last chance to establlish whether there has been long-term abuse of her that continues.

Michael may currently have guardianship over her life, but that guardianship should end with her untimely and cruel death. How can he have the legal or moral right to determine that she will be immediately cremated without a coroner's report? What is he trying to hide? If he was able to convince the courts of Terri's wishes without a carefully documented Living Will, he certainly cannot produce documented evidenced that she would want or determined to be cremated in the manner that he has determined.

Terri can speak for herself now through the careful findings of extensive medical examinations now and through autopsy at her death. I believe in both scenarios, it will be proven that Terri has been grossly abused and that the course of her life and slow, painful death are at the hands and control of her abuser.

If there is any cause for doubt as to Michael Schiavo's character and truthfulness, it is extremely urgent to find out now while Terri is still alive. We must all continue the protest and present previously unanswered questions about the 7-year withholding of medical examination and current evaluation of Terri's life-force.

Legal technicalities and narrow focus on a single issue should never be allowed to protect a possible, even probable, suspect (Michael) from cleverly getting away with the clear murder of his wife. The courts are an unwitting and until-now-blind accomplice.

How can anyone remove a feeding tube of a live, breathing person who has been capable of swallowing on her own, but not allowed to? It is important to bring in expert, impartial, medical, rehabilitative and end-of-life specialist-professionals to determine Terri's current state and the affect of this merciless suffering imposed upon her.

When there is such acrimonious conflict of interests and opinions, the court must not continue to favor, support and side with Michael Schiavo without reviewing the entire situation and updating their previously determined "legal facts" regarding Terri. Court's do make errors and should be made to admit this and reverse their decisions before it is too late for Terri.

God is in control. This conflict and outcry for real justice for Terri will not go away. Her death will not make everything moot. To sit and wait for that to happen represents judicial cowardice, laziness, and unwillingness to do one's job properly, however distasteful it may personally be. It is a contempt of Terri's will, person and life. That is the important issue. This issue has an effect on every one of us and will not go away.

Why do I speak of Terri's will? Because she would die naturally if this is what she really wanted to do and God wanted for her. Her own body would bring this into effect without anyone's intervention. Let Terri be Terri and accomplish her great purpose in this life. Let her loving family care for her!

Posted by: Carol at March 23, 2005 12:20 PM

If this could happen in the land of freedom....

Posted by: sujata at March 23, 2005 12:40 PM

This has been one of the most upsetting things that I have seen happen here in the U.S. That is someone plainly getting away with murder and being approved by the courts!!!!!! WHAT??????
I DONT GET IT!!!! HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN? SOMEONE NEEDS TO STOP IT AT LEAST LONG ENOUGH FOR
EVERYTHING TO BE INVESTIGATED!! Can you imagine what Terri's family is feeling? What if Terri can hear and is aware of things? What is she thinking! If there are other people out there,besides the wonderful,courageous, caring nurse,PLEASE SPEAK UP!! Forget about anything else and just tell the truth! This is someone's life and you can't go back after she is dead!!

I know that Michael plans to have her cremated immediately(imagine that). Does he plan on having her a funeral? Will family and friends be able to attend? What a cruel man! If you get by with murder here on earth you will not get by with it on JUDGEMENT DAY!

Posted by: Lisa Jennette at March 23, 2005 12:51 PM

Here is an odd thought for everyone to consider. As strange as this might sound, if Terri were to be "arrested" for some crime that she were only accused of (of course she is totally innocent), would she not then be entitled to medical care while awaiting trial? Crazy idea, but it would serve the purpose of getting her out of the hands of her murderous husband. What do you think?

Posted by: Nelson at March 23, 2005 1:00 PM