« Federal Appealls Court OKs Schiavo Review | Main | OOPS! Michael Schiavo and Attorney George Felos Caught In Lie: Autopsy Decision Not Made By Michael Schiavo, Official Says (Updated) »

March 30, 2005

The CT Scan - Proof of PVS? A $100,000 Challenge

Topics: Medical Issues

Terri Schiavo's CT Scan has been grossly misrepresented in the mainstream press.

Previously, Codeblue applied his expertise in radiology to interpret Terri Schiavo's CT scans that have been released to the public and are being used in a public relations campaign to justify her starvation:

The most alarming thing about this image, however, is that there certainly is cortex left. Granted, it is severely thinned, especially for Terri's age, but I would be nonplussed if you told me that this was a 75 year old female who was somewhat senile but fully functional, and I defy a radiologist anywhere to contest that.

I HAVE SEEN MANY WALKING, TALKING, FAIRLY COHERENT PEOPLE WITH WORSE CEREBRAL/CORTICAL ATROPHY. THEREFORE, THIS IS IN NO WAY PRIMA FACIE EVIDENCE THAT TERRI SCHIAVO'S MENTAL ABILITIES OR/OR CAPABILITIES ARE COMPLETELY ERADICATED. I CANNOT BELIEVE SUCH TESTIMONY HAS BEEN GIVEN ON THE BASIS OF THIS SCAN.

Today he responds to the neurologists that both the courts and MSM have relied upon to interpret images of Terri's brain with a $100,000 challenge:
Here's the problem with these experts: THEY DON'T INTERPRET CT SCANS OF THE BRAIN. RADIOLOGISTS DO. ...

What I'm saying is that Terri Schiavo's CT could be the brain of an eighty or ninety year old person who is not in a vegetative state. THOSE are the CT scans we should be showing next to Schiavo's, because in THAT case you would see similar atrophy and a brain much closer to Schiavo's.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

To prove my point I am offering $100,000 on a $25,000 wager for ANY neurologist (and $125,000 for any neurologist/bioethicist) involved in Terri Schiavo's case--including all the neurologists reviewed on television and in the newspapers who can accurately single out PVS patients from functioning patients with better than 60% accuracy on CT scans.

I will provide 100 single cuts from 100 different patient's brain CT's. All the neurologist has to do is say which ones represent patients with PVS and which do not.

If the neurologist can be right 6 out of 10 times he wins the $100,000.

I Said What I Meant, And I Meant What I Said

My points are what I first said about the image from Terri Schiavo's CT scan:

1. It is NOT as bad as the neurologists and bioethicists play it up to be; and,
  2. There are many elderly patients with various levels of mental functioning who have severe atrophy that is difficult to distinguish from Terri Schiavo's atrophy

I stand by what I said. And I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Any takers?

Posted by tim at March 30, 2005 7:22 AM

Articles Related to Medical Issues:

Comments

awesome.

Posted by: Foug at March 30, 2005 8:12 AM

Tim, Thank you for coming forward on this. I am not a radiologist, so I feel it is not appropropriate to make any DX on the CT, but I and many others can use logic. Several physicians said her brain had been totally replaced by CSF (liquid, basically). While there is gross hypertrophy of the ventricles, there is clearly cerebral matter there which shows that cognitive function is at the very least possible. When in doubt, err on the side of, logically, life.

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at March 30, 2005 9:04 AM

Thank you, Tim!

OT: FL Senate going into session now!!! Ring those phones!

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 30, 2005 9:05 AM

This is a test since I just lost my post

Posted by: Caryn at March 30, 2005 9:51 AM

I just want to scream at the top
of my lungs "I.V. her Before you
start debating this to long ! "
Red Tape.Thank Goodness there
are so many people who CAN look
at these things more closely.
Perhaps making for a better future.
And Thank Goodness,
Terri is Alive

Posted by: lynaqua at March 30, 2005 9:59 AM

One of the biggist misconceptions the public and the media is that all neuroligists are cut from the same cloth. This couldn't be further from the truth. Neuroligists that work in hospitals only deal with the brain on a clinical perspective. Neuroligists who work in the field of rehabilatation have a much better understanding on the workings of the brain especially when rehab is applied. If your computer processor is not working properly, do you throw it away or do you seek someone to repair it? The workings of the brain are a mystery, so I for one would trust a neuroligist who is educated in neurorehabilatation. On a personal note, my husband was in therapy with a young lady that had a big portion of her brain removed and she could talk and was a higher level of ability than my husband!

I also want to to say something about feeding tubes. Inserting a feeding tube is a very common procedure to provide the basic need of nurishment to those who are unable. Most hospitals are reluctant to ween patients off the tube because they do not have the staff to feed a patient 3x a day. When my brain damaged husband broke his hip, he was transferred to a skilled nursing facility. On the third day there, the facility decided they were going to place a feeding tube without my consent, even tho he can swallow but is physically a quadrapeligic. I threw a fit and was told if I didn't come in twice a day to feed him that they would need to place a feeding tube. Terri's body has been dependent on the tube for fifteen years and to deprive her of it , just boggles my mind.! How can a feeding tube be considered as extrodinary measures when it is really a convenience for hospitals?

Posted by: Caryn at March 30, 2005 10:16 AM

People of faith :

PRAY !!

I have been earnestly praying for supernatural provision for Terri. Having seen healings and miracles, and seen them recorded also in Scripture I know it is NOT too hard for God to save Terri.

There are some excellent insights here :

Arguing with people will not help Terri. Getting on your knees most certainly will.

Dave

Posted by: Dave_MN at March 30, 2005 10:53 AM

Did anything happen in the Florida senate session?

Posted by: LErin at March 30, 2005 12:05 PM

Caryn & Dave: Amen! I am keeping the TV off and praying that every bite I take nourishes her body and keeps her strong. God has her in His hands.

Posted by: I hope at March 30, 2005 2:10 PM

I wonder if it would be possible
to compare a CT of the Pope's
brain,(cortex)to Terri's CT ?
Or for that matter,any 75-80
year old, for a visual to us
"lay people" so to speak.
Terri is Alive

Posted by: lynaqua at March 30, 2005 2:15 PM

LErin, sadly, no. They recessed until tomorrow morning without voting on the bill. However, check the bottom of this thread for some possible good news:

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 30, 2005 2:16 PM

Lynagua, great idea, but the Vatican has historically kept all Popes' medical records extremely private.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 30, 2005 2:17 PM

Please make sure that Terri's family demands that a consultant expert forensic pathologist, like Dr. Michael Baden, participates in the autopsy, when and if it occurs!

Posted by: Robert W. Smith MD at March 30, 2005 9:27 PM