« Democrats of Death For Terri | Main | Bill Passes: Schindlers Want Terri's Feeding Tube Reinserted »

March 21, 2005

Terri's Bill Passed

Topics: Legislative Action Items

The Miami Herald Reports,

President Bush stood ready at the White House, lawyers stood ready at a Florida courthouse and nurses stood ready at Terri Schiavo's bedside as Congress early today approved a bill that could prolong her life.

The climactic vote ended in the House of Representatives at 12:32 a.m., and the measure was swiftly sent to Bush, who said he would sign it.

Update:

FoxNews has more coverage:

"As millions of Americans observe the beginning of Holy Week this Palm Sunday we are reminded that every life has purpose and none is without meaning," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., a leader in crafting the bill.
Interestingly, the measure was backed by 156 Republicans to 5 who voted against it and 71 who did not vote; 47 Democrats voted in favor, 53 against and 102 did not vote. The lone independent in the 435 member house did not vote.

David Gibbs III, the attorney for the Schindlers, said that his office has been in contact with the Federal District Court in Tampa and he is anticipating sending a filing in the middle of the night. A computer program randomly generates the presiding judge, who will be delivered the request for an injunction immediately.

Posted by tim at March 21, 2005 12:46 AM

Articles Related to Legislative Action Items:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Terri's Bill Passed:

» Terri's Bill Passes Congress from ProLifeBlogs
At 12:32 this morning .... here is the roll call. (update: the text of the bill can be found here) The Miami Herald Reports,President Bush stood ready at the White House, lawyers stood ready at a Florida courthouse and nurses... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 2:11 AM

» Hang On Terri! Help is on the Way from bLogicus
After a dramatic weekend of numerous ups and downs, the congress passed a bill that could save Terri Schiavo's life... here is the roll call. The Miami Herald Reports,President Bush stood ready at the White House, lawyers stood ready at a Florida court... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 2:20 AM

» Hang On Terri! Help is on the Way from bLogicus

Tracked on March 21, 2005 2:20 AM

Comments

Yea!!!!!!!!!!! Go George Bush!!!!!!Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Katie at March 21, 2005 1:11 AM

My Congresswoman wussed out and didn't vote. Feh.

So did the Congressman from the next district over. That surprises me, actually because according to his Web site, he was strongly against it, and I was expecting him to vote No.
Hmmph -- I wonder if he read my fax? ;-)

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 21, 2005 1:19 AM

Preident Bush just signed!!!!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 1:28 AM

If the US Sup Ct allowed FL's law to be overturned, this one is next. But at least it gives us time.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 21, 2005 1:32 AM

Oh no, CNN is repeating the Larry King show with Michael!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 1:36 AM

I know, my hubby won't change the channel and I can barely stomache this slime-ball. I'm going to go do laundry. I'll check back here later.

Posted by: Teri J at March 21, 2005 1:39 AM

Barbara Weller, one of the Schindlers' other attorneys,
reported that on Friday, she was with Schiavo just before
the tube was pulled.

"I stood up and leaned over Terri. I took her arms in both
of my hands," Weller said. "I said to her, 'Terri, if you
could only say, "I want to live," this whole thing could
be over today.' I begged her to try very hard to say, 'I
want to live.'

"To my enormous shock and surprise, Terri's eyes opened
wide, she looked me square in the face, and with a look of
great concentration, she said, 'Ahhhhhh.' Then, seeming to
summon up all the strength she had, she virtually
screamed, 'Waaaaaa.' She yelled so loudly that (her
brother-in-law) and the female police officer who were
then standing together outside Terri's door clearly heard
her. At that point, Terri had a look of anguish on her
face that I had never seen before and she seemed to be
struggling hard, but was unable to complete the sentence.
She became very frustrated and began to cry."

( I hope and pray that Terri is given a chance to finish her sentence).

Posted by: Cindy at March 21, 2005 2:29 AM