« Call to Action Now: If Terri dies, "Demand Autopsy" to discover not only the immediate cause of death, but the proximate cause of death. (Updated with Sample Letter) | Main | More on Terri's reaction to visit by her friends »

March 28, 2005

Terri Schiavo's Reaction to Friend's Visit Yesterday

Miami Herald - Terri Schiavo had an 'extraordinary' reaction to a friend's Sunday night visit, her parents' spokesman claimed Monday morning.

Friar Paul O'Donnell, spiritual advisor to Bob and Mary Schindler, said Schiavo received a visit from her father and friend Sunday night. When the friend, identified as Sherry, recalled their days dancing and partying together, Schiavo ''raised her hands up and was moving and started making gutteral sounds like she does when she talks to her mother,'' O'Donnell said.

Doctors have concluded that Schiavo is in a persistent vegetative state and that apparent reactions to loved ones are reflective. Supporters of the Schindlers are still hoping Florida Gov. Jeb Bush will intervene to replace a feeding tube that has kept Schiavo alive the last 15 years.

O'Donnell and other family spokesmen have been making regular pleads to replace the tube since it was removed 10 days ago.

''Everyone is willing to write this woman's obituary except one person and that's Terri Schiavo,'' O'Donnell said.

The courts have ruled that Schiavo did not wish to stay alive through artificial feeding. Gov. Bush has said there is no more he can do.

Posted by tim at March 28, 2005 10:59 AM

Comments

W. SHARP, Judge, concurring specially; wrote:

"There is little I can add to Chief Judge Peterson's excellent
opinion in this case. I write only to say we should never cease
to be shocked by Man's inhumanity to Man, no matter the
circumstances. And, a remedy must always be afforded."

District Court of Appeal of Florida, Fifth District.
September 29, 1995.

No. 94-376.

Sent To: Gov. Bush -
Judge Greer has issued an ILLEGAL order (Denying food & water by mouth 'naturally') which violates our Florida Constitution and our Florida Statutes. You have the Supreme Executive Power (of FL) vested in YOU. You are obligated by your Oath of Office to uphold the laws, and as a third but equal branch of power you must intervene to protect the life and liberty of Terri Schiavo - this is NOT about a feeding tube being removed, this is about a Judge being a principle in an act of attempted homicide by withholding, and directing others to withhold, BASIC food and water from a disabled American.
Any literate person can read the Florida Statutes & Constitution. This action under "color of law" violates the law, and by not acting you are an accessory to this. By placing Terri Schiavo in protective custody, supplying an IV line as "basic medical care" to return her to her previous position of wellbeing (as of 03/18/05), and then allowing her access to oral nutrition and hydration is NOT in violation of Greer's trial court decision to withdraw the feeding tube.

Maybe all politicians and long-time attorneys had ought to go back to Political Science and American Government refresher classes.

Posted by: Raquel at March 28, 2005 11:02 AM

UNCOMFIRMED! UNCOMFIRMED!

A friend of mine from Florida claims to have someone on the inside of the nursing home. The employee is sympathetic to Terri, but doesn't dare talk about it for fear of being fired. There's a private entrance (which is why we never see Michael enter & exit) and since it's a nursing home, ambulances come and go all the time. The employee claims that when Terri passes away, they're going to get her out of there before they announce her death so that there's no scene or incident. After what I've read here, I worry there may be darker motives - cremation?

If someone with better connections can check this out, they should!

UNCOMFIRMED!

Posted by: Jeff at March 28, 2005 11:15 AM

What I don't get is why Governor Bush can't do anything, if the court orders are ILLEGAL?

And yes, they plan on cremating her, to remove all evidence of foul play in the past... :-(

Posted by: Sirena at March 28, 2005 11:18 AM

What also irks me is how they keep saying she's PVS (which clearly she isn't) and now I heard they are giving her Morphine for the pain... well, if she was truly PVS she wouldn't BE in pain.

Terri is being murdered... and this is sickening.

Posted by: Sirena at March 28, 2005 11:20 AM

I am asking God in the name of my Lord Jesus for divine food for Terri until she is rescued. I believe she will be rescued from murder shortly.

Posted by: sujata at March 28, 2005 11:21 AM

THEY NEED TO GIVE HER A SPONGE BATH! THEY CAN GET WATER IN HER FEEDING TUBE BY USING THIS! GET THIS TO HER PARENTS! ASAP! BATHING IS A NATURAL MAINTENANCE FOR ALL PATIENTS REQUIRED NORMAL CARE IN NURSING HOME PATIENT SANITARY MUST STILL APPLY!

Posted by: guardia at March 28, 2005 11:25 AM

Cat survives 44 days without food or water, article at http://www.kentuckynewera.com/articles/stories/public/200502/28/04aw_news.html

This kind of thing gives me hope for Terri's survival, that she will hang on long enough to spit in Michael's face, and long enough for all the courts and all the executives and all the legislators to get so tired of watching her suffer, that they will suffer so much in watching her, that one of them will finally stand up and say ENOUGH.

God help her.

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 28, 2005 11:38 AM

sujata,

That's my prayer, exactly. Many saints have been known to stay alive for years with nothing but communion for sustenance. Man does not live by bread alone... And wasn't it Jeremiah who was fed by a bird???

Lovely, lovely idea, guardia. We also soak up moisture from being bathed, as I used to find a dip in the pool the best thirst quenture on a hot day. Someone please pursue this, as I can't stay on line today, but can only pop in for short periods.

God speed, and get to the Bushes, too.

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 28, 2005 1:22 PM

Yes, Jeff, Michael is definitely planning to have Terri cremated immediately. I think Michael has been rather open about that.

I don't remember how it all came out, but we have been discussing it on here before.

But, never give up hope for her to live.

Suzanne, thanks so much for that link. I haven't read the article yet, but, yes, you're so right. Don't give up. There is always Hope.

Hope is one of the Cardinal Virtues, and its opposite, Despair, is one of the Cardinal Sins.

So, we must not despair.

* ~ ^ ~ * ~ ^ ~ * ~ ^ ~ * ~ ^ ~ * ~ ^ ~ * ~ ^ ~ *
* * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ _______________________________________________

*~*~Powerful Novena of Childlike Confidence~*~*
________________________________________________

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
^&~*^&~&*^~~^&*~^&*~~^^&&**&&^^~~*&^~*&^~~^*&~&^~

(This novena is to be said at the same time every hour for nine hours, just
one day)

O Jesus, Who hast said, ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find,
knock and it shall be opened to you, through the intercession of Mary, Thy
Most Holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted. (Make
request)

O Jesus, Who hast said, all that you ask of the Father in My name, He will
grant you through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother, I humbly and
urgently ask Thy Father in Thy Name that my prayer be granted. (Make request)

O Jesus, Who hast said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My word shall
not pass," through the intercession of Mary, Thy Most Holy Mother, I feel
confident that my prayer will be granted. (Make request)

**********************************************