« Terri Schiavo has just died (Updated) | Main | Donna M. Matincheck's guardian withdraws a petition to end life-sustaining treatment. The brain-damaged woman's mother had opposed the petition. »

March 31, 2005

Terri Schiavo Dead at 41

- CNSNews
After 14 days without food or water, Terri Schiavo died around 9:50 Thursday morning - shortly after her parents issued an emotional plea to be at her hospice bedside in her final moments of life.

Terri's husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo, denied the Schindler family's final request to be with Terri as she took her last breath.

But they saw her later: "Bobby, Suzanne, Mary and Bob are in there now at Terri's bedside. They were denied access at the moment of her death," said a family spokesman.

It was one of many requests denied the family in a two-week flurry of legal motions, all aimed at keeping Terri alive.

The case has galvanized national debate about end-of-life issues and constitutional issues involving the legislative and judicial branches.

The Schindler family will make a statement later today, Brother Paul O'Donnell told a somber crowd gathered outside the hospice.

Posted by richard at March 31, 2005 10:36 AM

Comments

Funeral Blues (Stop the Clocks)
W H Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let the aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Posted by: Salena at March 31, 2005 10:46 AM

Michael Schiavo should be ashamed of himself for not allowing Terri's parents to be with her as she died!

SHAME ON HIM!

Posted by: Jan at March 31, 2005 10:49 AM

I cried and cried when I heard on TV this morning that she had gone to be with her Lord. And I cried out of anger as well, that we as a nation allowed this to happen. I cried in frustration that MS, Felos, and Greer are most certainly relieved this is over and will try to benefit from her murder, (because that's what it is) by being paid for their stories, and publishing books. I cried for all the mistreatment of all disabled people, and I cried for all of us, who fought so hard to save her and put her back in her family's custody.

I heard that Terri's family was able to see Terri about 15 minutes before she died, but was not allowed to be there when she ACTUALLY died. Even to the end, Michael shows his horns. You'd think he might have had some compassion for the pain Terri's parents are going through, but no. His actions, since 1990 until now just show his true colors. It's disgusting.

I know Terri has been welcomed into Heaven with the open arms of God, and I just pray that there will be justice for the Schindler family one day.

God bless us all and God bless dear sweet Terri.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 10:52 AM

So when do Othello and Becky Sharp get married?

Posted by: Baillie at March 31, 2005 11:01 AM

Jan:

You poor, naive (but wonderful and obviously loving) friend of Terri's.

Terri's "loving" husband cannot and willnot feel shame. In order to feel shame, one must have a conscience. Evil has no conscience; michael has no conscience; feel-less has no conscience. They will not feel shame.

Although they do not have a conscience, they did have a BLACK BAG....I wonder what these soul-less wonders had in the bag?

Posted by: Tress at March 31, 2005 11:09 AM

RIP Terri

Posted by: no_dice at March 31, 2005 11:17 AM

Rest In Peace Terri,
She had such a beautiful soul,

Posted by: delphinius at March 31, 2005 11:19 AM

I couldnt say it better Sirena, God Bless all of you for everything you all have done.

Posted by: delphinius at March 31, 2005 11:21 AM

She still has a beautiful soul. I will forever be changed by having known about Terri Schindler.

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 11:21 AM

I'm actually glad that this is over.

Jan said in a previous entry that she cried and cried that Terri was gone to be with the Lord. I hope that was tears of Joy. For why be sad for a woman that was a prisoner in her own body and now gone to heaven?

As far as the Terri's parents not being able to see their daughter in the final minutes. It's sad when a family (at one time had a very close bond to my understanding) have so much contempt for each other that they could not be in the same room at one time. I believe that the mother (who I hear had more sense) should have stop traveling the country going after appeal after appeal after appeal and try to make peace the son-in-law (that she once cherish) so they could ALL be in that room together before Terri left her physical body to be with THE CREATOR.

Posted by: blabbermouth at March 31, 2005 11:24 AM

It seems strange to me that the media keeps saying that Terri was in a "persistent vegetative state" for 15 years.

In order for the heart to beat and the diaphragm to move in order to fill one's lungs with air, brain activity is required. So Terri's heart was beating, she was breathing, and she had brain activity, up until the last.

Our courts have just allowed an American citizen to be purposefully starved to death in her own country, on a national stage.

Dear Lord help us. Have mercy on our nation for permitting this terrible thing to occur.

My sympathies to the Schindler family and to all those of good will who loved Terri and wished the best for her.

Posted by: AZNavigator at March 31, 2005 11:25 AM

Michael Schiavo is a classic sociopath, just as O.J. Simpson is, and he doesn't care what anybody thinks.

He's been a sadist ever since he had a falling out with Terri's parents, and all of his behavior is indicative of the sociopathic personality, including his constant lies.

Many people will believe a pathological liar and sociopath because such a person is good at what he or she does.

O.J. had his defenders, but over the years they have conspicuously disappeared. Michael Schiavo is going to get his just desserts, probably not from the criminal justice system, but from society as they shun him.

He won't be able to "cash in" on his "devotion" to Terri because nobody will buy any book he "writes." Any movie deals? Forget it, because there will opposition, ESPECIALLY from the disabled rights community (note the opposition to the recent Eastwood film "Million Dollar Baby"). Schiavo will be hounded everywhere he goes, and he should be more than Felos or Greer, because if it weren't for Michael's eagerness to have the court kill off his wife, we'd never hear of them.

Michael Schiavo's pariahhood has just begin. Schiavo's girlfriend and kids will have to put up with taunts for the rest of their days, unless they move from Florida, change their names, and start over.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at March 31, 2005 11:37 AM

"Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?"

God have mercy on our nation.

Posted by: Tom Spence at March 31, 2005 11:40 AM

Susan,

There "will" be a movie deal and probably will be a book deal cause there is more to this story than what you've heard on the news. And as Schiavo being taunted for the rest of his days, remember there were supporters for him too. And by this time next year, all this drama will probably be forgotten.

Posted by: blabbermouth at March 31, 2005 11:45 AM

I hope Mel Gibson puts out a movie about Terri, the real story, not just the crap that Michael and Felos want us to believe. Wouldn't that be powerful?

Posted by: Sirena at March 31, 2005 12:05 PM

Darn it, people, you've made me cry. My prayer for Terri is that her will to live or die be the one God honors. So I am convinced that she died of her own free will. When Jesus had enough, He said "It is done." I believe Terri also said that. So I was at peace with it, and did not cry until you did and now I am. Black bag or no, they could not have ended Terri's life against God's active will. That would take a man more powerful than God and I don't think he exists.

Yes, Julie and Juleni, I too have had signs which comforted me after the death of my infant son, of my mother and of my father. God is kind with a great kindness and even wipes away our tears as He is even now wiping away Terr's tears.

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 31, 2005 12:10 PM

AZNavigator:

"One does not need to be a medical doctor to realize that if you disconnect a person from all feeding tubes, breathing tubes, and life support, and if their heart is still beating and they are still breathing a week later, that they are not and were not a "vegetable.""

Whether or not Terri was in a PVS is always going to be up for debate. There are people out there in a PVS that are not on any type of life support whatsoever. A wakeful unconscious state that lasts longer than a few weeks is referred to as a persistent vegetative state. PVS pertains to how someone responds to stimuli, whether or not they can communicate, think, feel pain, etc... All people in a PVS have Brain Activity, it's the extent to which the brain functions that determines whether or not they're in a PVS. No Brain Activity whatsoever is referred to as "Brain Dead" and barring any extreme circumstances, most brain dead patients are disconnected from life support relatively soon after diagnosis.

In any case, my thoughts are with the Schindlers in this difficult time.

Posted by: no_dice at March 31, 2005 12:13 PM

How do you make peace with a man who wants to let your own flesh and blood-that you carried in your womb for 9 long months die of starvation? Just curious. Please enlighten me blabbermouth.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 31, 2005 12:23 PM

No_dice

First off this shouldnt have gone this far. With all this media attention, it probably pissed this man off to a "point of no return." From my understanding Terri's mother and Michael was very close at one point. There should have been a time when she should have put a stop to all this and gather up the courage to "let go."

Posted by: blabbermouth at March 31, 2005 4:05 PM

Her death will not be in vain.
May the Good Lord grant her eternal peace.

...and may God have mercy on her husband's soul.

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 31, 2005 4:11 PM

I cannot believe that Michael "Hitler" Schiavo refused to allow Terri's loving parents to be with their daughter as she took her last breath! What a sadistic, evil, person he is, that is if we can even call him a person. He is sub-human to be so selfish and evil. I believe that he has something to hide and is a murderer, plain and simple, with many accomplices!

I wonder what was in the black bag his murdering accomplice had!!!!

Michael "Hitler" Schiavo will have to answer to his murderous ways on judgment day.

I pray that the truth will come out for once and for all and they all get what they deserve!

Rest in Peace Terri Schindler!!!

Posted by: Outraged at March 31, 2005 5:32 PM