« Fl Senate Update: Gov. Bush Poised To Act | Main | OpEd: Terri's Last Chance - It's time to try giving Terri Schiavo orally administered liquids. »

March 23, 2005

Terri is No Different than My Child

Topics: Testimonials

Denise (MiracleChild)wrote the following message in our comments section of this post:

I have a disabled daughter. At 4 months of age, a highly respected UCLA neurologist told us based on her MRI's and his physical inspection of her that our daughter's cerebral cortex area of her brain was hugely gone. He went on to further say that we should just try to make her as comfortable as possible, and not to invest in any therapies as they would not help. As you could imagine, this news devasted my husband and I....it did not however deter us.

While Amy (now 4) still cannot swallow her own saliva (and Terri can), through a long process we taught her to eat everything by mouth. Due to intense physical therapy and other alternative treatments, Amy is taking assisted steps and beginning to sit. We did not give up on her.

I have looked at Terri Schiavo's videos, I have spoken via e-mail with Mr. Schindler, and I am 100% positive that Terri is no different than my daughter. Even with the many years that Terri has been left with no therapy and stimulation, there is still hope. Will she ever have full capacity, the answer is no. But I have seen the eyes of my little girl daily for 4 years and I have seen the eyes of Terri. Terri is not brain dead she is alive.

Posted by tim at March 23, 2005 2:20 PM

Articles Related to Testimonials:

Comments

I also have a son who is like Terri he is very much alive. He is tube fed.

Posted by: donna at March 23, 2005 2:30 PM

I do not have a special needs child, however, I work with the special needs program at my church where we have what is called a "Special Friends" program. We work one on one with special needs children. I've had the luxury and blessing of being introduced to the program working with a 9 year old boy named Alex. Alex will never be what is considered "normal". He is deaf, autistic, and has so many afflictions, I could not begin to name them. He can chew, but not swallow, and is fed through a port, which I believe to be similar to Teri's. This being said, he enjoys life, and life IS enjoyable to him. His communication with people is minimal, but his life still holds value. When I think of Teri, I think of Alex and it just breaks my heart. My prayers are with Teri and her family. May God bless them, and help them through this horrible, horrible, time.

Posted by: Penny at March 23, 2005 2:44 PM

But morally, there is a difference between an adult who, when competent expressed a desire not to live like this, and a small child who was never competent to express such a wish.

I am NOT saying that Terri did express a wish not to live like this (I don't know, of course). But we have to realize that being *medically* the same does not imply that two people are morally in the same predicament.

Posted by: Simon at March 23, 2005 2:49 PM

I would venture to say that most people who say that they don't want to be kept on "life support" are not talking about a feeding tube and being starved to death.

Posted by: JWL at March 23, 2005 2:59 PM

Terri is gone this time...the wife-beating-lying-
abusive Mr. Michael Schiavo won. Maybe Terri will
get to play with her two cats again up in Heaven;
it was so much more humane the way Michael Schiavo had them killed though. May every penny Michael Schiavo spends of his milion be another brick for his throne awaiting him in Hell. You cannot lie to God Mr. Schiavo.......oh, and watch out for your conscience, -man a monster it is turning into lie by lie.
Goodbye sweet Terri ..so many of us love you and fought for you. You are so loved. Three children and a 69 year old woman were arrested today trying to bring you water. Take care big girl.

Posted by: Charlotte Tomlinson at March 23, 2005 3:00 PM

Charlotte, why give up? The Florida Senate is still meeting, so far as I know. Don't give in to despair! Keep praying, and keep calling the legislators.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 23, 2005 3:02 PM

My sister has cerebral palsy and physically she is very much like Terri. She is moderately retarded. When she came to live with me last November tests confirmed she had such a severe swallowing problem we should consider a feeding tube. However, proper preparation of her food, a knowledge of which foods cause problems and which are tolerated, and minor modifications in the way she eats (leaning forward, use of a sippy cup) have all but eliminated any aspiration of food.

She is a beautiful woman who Cherishes life. There are a lot of things she can't do, but no way in the world does she feel she is "suffering" from her disabilities.

Posted by: Mary at March 23, 2005 3:18 PM

Can't give up yet. We must fight for what we believe in until the end. And if Terri dies... I will not let anyone forget about this. I will continue fighting for those who are defenseless against monsters like Michael. Whatever happens, he will pay.

Posted by: Sirena at March 23, 2005 3:32 PM

I would just like to say that "michael schiavo" is NOT GOD! It is therefore NOT UP TO HIM whether his wife Terri lives or dies! Just admit that all you want is to be free of Terri so that you can pursue your 'new life' with your ILLEGAL fiancee` and that you need the money that you will get from Terri's death to ENJOY a new life! WELL BUDDY, I'm here to tell you that EVIL IS REPAID WITH EVIL! and you will so pay for KILLING TERRI! ITS NOT UP TO YOU! You are a very SELFISH and UNCARING person and I hope that you suffer every day of your life with guilt and unhappiness for KILLING such a beautiful person!
My prayers are with Terri and her family and God's justice will be done...I wish that Terri receives a MIRACLE and either comes out of her vegetative state, or lives on despite her husband's digusting behaviour!
Advice for Terri's parents....GIVE TERRI HOLY COMMUNION! It is known to be the Bread Of Life!
Good Luck to all but MICHAEL SCHIAVO ( by the way, in italian, your name means 'slave' and you ARE a slave ...to the devil Michael Schiavo!

Posted by: A CATHOLIC at March 23, 2005 3:37 PM

Terri Shiavo's case is not one of her own life or her own well being. It is a case of two outside forces both wanting to do what they think is best. I believe Mr. And Mrs. Schindler are close minded, irrational, and a little selfish; even still, I understand where they are coming from. No one wants to see their little girl die, especially of a slow agonizing death such as starvation. That is a good enough reason to fight their noble, albeit loosing battle to save their daughter's life. If they succeed, exactly how long are they planning on keeping her alive and how long can they do so before the money runs out. Given, there will always be a host of people just waiting to give their money away to anybody, but how long can she live like that? How long can the Schindlers, as parents, watch their child slowly deterriorate before they give up and draw the same conclusion the husband did? Some one tell me. I'm not an expert and would like to know more.

Posted by: Ggreen at March 23, 2005 3:46 PM

Dear Ggreen,

Please read the "Facts about Terri" located on the link toward the top right hand of this website before you make your judgement...

That should help you...

Posted by: Sirena at March 23, 2005 3:51 PM

Please call the Governor's office. I got through on 850-488-2272. Also try 850-488-4441. The White House is 202-456-1111. Supreme Court is 202-479-3000. Attny General 850-414-3990. Legislative info 850-487-2320. The numbers for the 10 Senators listed elsewhere in these posts have interns taking opinions.

Posted by: diana in Chicago at March 23, 2005 3:53 PM

Gov Jeb Bush and his team are angels here on earth.
I pray that they are successful in their endeavour to save this poor woman and reach the truth in this matter. Unfortunately the motion is going before Judge Greer. Biased to say the least. Lets pray that it is worded in such a way that he cannot refuse it.

Posted by: Nicole at March 23, 2005 3:54 PM

Penny, if her husband is telling the truth, and Terri really did say she didn't want to "live like this", then putting her under would be active "euthanasia". Although Oregon has a law permitting active euthanasia, Florida does not. Even if he is telling the truth, her husband is commiting murder under Florida law.

As horrible as the millions of unborn children put to death each year is, Terri's state murder takes us to the next level. An abortionist can only put a child to death with the consent of the mother - the state takes no active role, but permits the atrocity. In Terri's case, the State of Florida is actively killing Terri by arresting all who attempted to give her a drink of water. This is not a Democrat/Republican issue. Although Dems, incredibly, defend Terri's murder publically, I believe that the Florida State Police are under the command of Republican Governor Jeb Bush. It is by his orders to carry out Judge Greers sentence of death that the police arrest those who would give Terri a drink of water. And the police officers carry out this heinous command with the excuse, "We're just following orders." We have officially become a Nation of Nazis.

Posted by: SDGathman at March 23, 2005 3:57 PM

I wish you would now send your story over to Fox news--especially Studio B. They keep reporting the opposite of what we know to be true, as unvariable fact. Godspeed.

Posted by: LK at March 23, 2005 3:58 PM

Terri is not the braindead person here...

You people are.

For so many people who profess to know so much about Terri Schiavo, you really know very little, and have no right to make and opinion. The comments and opinions that elude from your fingertips are simply ignorant, and you don't even realize how your misinformed thoughts and words are actually hurting your cause...

Why don't you go blow up some abortion clinics while your at it?

Terri, may your wishes be carried out, and I hope you will be at peace soon....just like you would have wanted.

Posted by: Kim at March 23, 2005 4:00 PM

Hello everyone,

In the past couple of weeks I have been glued to my computer screen keeping myself informed about any breaking news regarding this case. I've been reading on the history of Terri and Michael Schiavo ever since I heard about this on a radio talk show. In my opinion, ladies and gentlemen, I believe that those like yourselves are not supporting Terri "just" because of the "value of life" issue, but because you are more "pissed off" at the husband. I applaud Terri's family for not giving up on this (IF there was any foul play on Michael's behalf cause there is so many conflicting stories); however after 15 years of fighting this in the court system, LET IT GO!! And spend the few days that Terri has left here on earth and pray that her soul goes to a better place.

A message to Terri's family...AND IF there was any foul play committed by the husband. Mourn for your daughter first! Rest yourself, and THEN go after that man with EVERYTHING in your arsenal; including the hospital that let him do it!

Posted by: Clarence at March 23, 2005 4:09 PM