« MSNBC's Caplan All Wrong on Schiavo | Main | If Terri Schiavo Dies... »

March 19, 2005

Symbolic Stand for Terri

Topics: Action Items

I've found a BRILLIANT proposal for a Symbolic Stand For Terri--LET'S DO IT!

I would like to suggest an extension of our voices in opposition to the crimes being committed against Terri. I say we make a strong and symbolic stand. I think we should send food and water BY THE BOXFULLS to the Hospice Center. Keep sending and encouraging people to send until they decide to stop this murder and feed Terri.

We can make arrangements for the food to subsequently be given to a local shelter, but in the mean time, we make a symbolic statment that we do not accept anyone being starved to death on our watch!

Hospice House - Woodside
6770 102nd Ave
Pinellas Park, FL 33782

Please let me know how you feel and if you would be willing to get involved in this. You can reply here or email me. I will gauge what actions I take to prepare based on the support the idea receives. I will start promoting the campaign immediately and would appreciate any support.

Thank you.

Our politics are nothing compared to our Humanity.

Megan

A note: Megan is an "ardent liberal" (her words) that I found in the comments of a Terri post at the Ace of Spades. I personally think it's WONDERFUL to find an ally on the left, and I'm happy to see the positive and welcoming comments she's received from my fellow conservatives over there--they represent us well.

[From My VRWC]

Posted by beth at March 19, 2005 10:59 PM

Articles Related to Action Items:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Symbolic Stand for Terri:

» Symbolic Stand for Terri from Daily Inklings
Beth of My VRWC posted a great idea. As a symbolic stand for Terri we should all send boxes of food and water to Woodside Hospice where Terri is being starved to die. [Read More]

Tracked on March 20, 2005 1:04 AM

Comments

Excellent idea!

Posted by: cw at March 19, 2005 11:41 PM

I do believe that is a great idea!

Perhaps the organizers of this effort could hook up with a food delivery service (so we could get a better rate for the bulk food) and there could be an online site where individuals could donate money to go towards the puchase of crate, after craft, after crate of food!

You see, many people really don't have the time to go to the market, buy a bunch of food, package it up, and then go somewhere to have it shipped.

The most efficent method would be for one company (hopefully very sympathetic to Terri's plight and in the same area of Flordia) to be where we would order the food!

The great thing would be that the food would both be helping Terri, and would be feeding the hungry in that part of Florida!

Additionally, after she is allowed to be fed again and hopefully in custody of her parents, we need to start fundraising to pay for TOP OF THE LINE rehabilitation for her!

Of course that is getting a little ahead of things, because she is starving right now because of the monster Michael and his evil cohort Judge Greer!

Posted by: GeorgiaGuy at March 19, 2005 11:46 PM

That is a SUPERB idea!

Should I send some marshmallow Easter peeps from the cast and crew of The Lord of the Peeps? The Peeps are on her side, you know! :D

Posted by: Baillie at March 19, 2005 11:56 PM

What a great idea!

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 20, 2005 12:05 AM

And don't forget that there are other patients at this hospice!

If we has gift baskets of food delivered to EVERY SINGLE PATIENT in the hospitol could they forcefully deny Terri from recieving hers?

I think that in addition to BULK crates of food we need to also have gifts of food delivered to all the patients and just see if they try to block the delivery of Terri's gift basket of food!

If they tried to block it then that could be something else we could use to shove in the media's face to prove how cruel and horribly Terri is being treated! On hear DEATH BED and denied a GIFT BASKET!

(of course in her basket we could make sure to include things she could possibly eat such as pudding, jello, broth, WATER, soup, cool-aid, etc.)

Posted by: GeorgiaGuy at March 20, 2005 12:05 AM

It would be better to simply send an ordinary spoon, since Judge Greer has ruled out feeding her by mouth.

Posted by: MaxedOutMama at March 20, 2005 12:05 AM

As I read this, it struck me. That even though I know this is a pivotal pro-life case with precedent setting potential for societal norms to shift, affecting many similar cases in the US, other countries, and our world, that how quickly we may forget about the mass starvation of peoples in third world countries of the Southern Hemisphere!

It is a momentous event and opportunity to also use as motivation and momentum to help all disabled or starving in this country and without. We all have the inalenable right to dignity and life in freedom.

Posted by: Restore Feeding at March 20, 2005 12:20 AM

I have spent the day praying and fasting (no food OR water) not only for Terri, but for all of us in this extremely important fight to protect human life and protect all human beings from being starved and dehydrated for ANY reason. I encourage others to take one day to do the same and ask God to help us get this right. I prayed today that Judge Greer and Michael Schiavo would have terrible hunger pains no matter how much food they each have to eat so that they cannot eat without being aware of what they are putting Terri through. May God help us.

Posted by: Kara at March 20, 2005 12:31 AM

I like the idea and I'll be sending water to her Monday a.m. (unless circumstances by then [hopefully positive ones]deem it unnecessary).

Posted by: Anna Nordin at March 20, 2005 12:33 AM

I'm going to do some research to see if there's a way to make this happen easily, as in online.

I LOVE the idea of sending packages to the other patients--how do we do that though?

Ray ("Restore Feeding"): Megan's suggestion included having the stuff subsequently be sent to a local shelter (or a food bank?). You guys are thinking along the same lines, I guess!

I'm ecstatic that there's support for this idea!

Posted by: Beth at March 20, 2005 1:27 AM

I am absolutely elated at all this positive response! And what great brainstorming going on. First, to Beth (please don't get sick of hearing this). You are simply amazing for completely embracing me and for spreading the word on this. This liberal gal has one powerful conservative friend! This is pretty cool! To the other fabulous responses and ideas...YES. The idea of sending to other patients as well might keep the food on the property for a while which we want of course because it draws even more attention to this. I have also considered trying to solicit help from grocery chains, food distributors, etc. (I live in South Florida) I have contacted a couple but have not gotten anywhere in getting an answer. (could it be possible that my fellow liberals own all the grocery store chains?) Ok, I am being bad now, but whewww I must say, I have been a bit beaten up yesterday and today by my party. Anyway, I just don't know if we could orchestrate help in this way in enough time. Let's keep talking it thru, we will fill in the blanks, I'm sure!

Megan

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 20, 2005 1:53 AM

GOT IT!

They've got water and everything else, and they deliver everywhere!

Posted by: Beth at March 20, 2005 2:04 AM

Here is an idea. Shipping costs being what they are, how about it people send money to those in Florida willing to participate & those people purchase food and water that can be taken to the hospice.

Just wondering,
JC
-------------------------------------------
www.healingcommunities.org

Posted by: JC at March 20, 2005 2:07 AM

Good thought, JC; the problem is just that the hospice isn't allowing anyone to take stuff in. Some people got hauled off today (Saturday) trying to do just that. Certainly they can't haul off the mailman or FedEx guy... ;-)

Posted by: Beth at March 20, 2005 2:12 AM

Great Beth! I am checking them out too.

Hey JC. Good idea. It would probably be easiest if we could find a good local organization involved in the fight for Terri who might want to help us? Would that be easier than an individual? I am quite far actually, in South Florida and trying to think if I know of someone close enough to be more hands on up there with this.

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 20, 2005 2:14 AM

Yes, I love this idea. Netgrocer is a little steep, but, still . . . . I can only send a few things.

I do definitely agree with the person who said we should always think of the millions who have never had enough food. Yes, I definitely do that. I donate money, and I am constantly concerned and perplexed about this.

It seems that some folks assume--------without even asking-------that working for justice for Terry means turning my back on other causes. Or, that it somehow means that I support war.

I have demonstrated against war, ever since the '60's, when I was in college, demonstrating against the war in Vietnam.

I AM opposed to the death penalty, and I hopped on a bus to Philadelphia, a few years ago, to prove it. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, on a fixed income, and I'm a single mom. The money for the bus was only $25, but that $25 meant a lot to me. I also operated a table at the Farmers' Market in Madison, collecting signatures against the death penalty.

I have a very long history of being in demonstrations and marches--------for unions, migrant workers, gay rights, women's rights, anti-war, anti-Klan, you name it.

So, it's difficult for me to understand why people are posting here, saying, "Why don't you guys go work for other worthy causes?" I DO work for other worthy causes.

Terry is a worthy cause.

God bless.
(PS: Can anybdy tell me how to make my post display in paragraphs? I've tried the html tags for paragraph, but, obviously, it didn't work.)

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 20, 2005 7:32 AM