« The whole Terri Schiavo story | Main | Five Briefs Say Gov. Bush Has the Legal Authority to Save Terri Schiavo »

March 24, 2005

Supreme Court Declines Schindler Request - Call Jeb Bush

Topics: Legal affairs

From the Associated Press:

The Supreme Court on Thursday refused to order Terri Schiavo's feeding tube reinserted, rejecting a desperate appeal by her parents to keep their severely brain-damaged daughter alive.

The decision, announced in a terse one-page order, marked the end of a dramatic and disheartening four-day dash through the federal court system by Bob and Mary Schindler.

Justices did not explain their decision, which was at least the fifth time they have declined to get involved in the Schiavo case.

All eyes are on Gov. Jeb Bush.

(Update)

Governor Bush's email: jeb.bush@myflorida.com
Phone: 850-488-4441
Fax: 850-487-0801

As commenter Sirena said, Be polite, don't cuss or swear, and plead for him to get her...

Appeal to Governor Bush with gratitude for his respect for life and his previous attempts to save her (Terri's Law). Respectful manners make all the difference!

(Updated by Beth)

Posted by tim at March 24, 2005 10:31 AM

Articles Related to Legal affairs:

Comments

Please Governor Bush, please step in and show your stance on the value of life!!! Let the hordes of death know that they are not the be-all and end-all in this case and save Terri. For the love of Jesus, please!!!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 24, 2005 10:39 AM

It's not looking good right now.

Posted by: Jayson Franklin at March 24, 2005 10:39 AM

If Terri is allowed to die, I will boycott everything Florida, including ol' Jeb should he ever run for president. I only have a family of 5, but the last time we vacationed in Florida, we spent $2,000. I don't need France's wine and cheese and I don't need Florida's fruit, beaches, vacation homes, or anything else they have to offer.

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 10:39 AM

Her only hope now, other than our prayers, is for President Bush or Governor Bush to rescue her. Clinton twice used troops (Waco and Elian Gonzales) to do less. The time is now.

Posted by: The Old Coot at March 24, 2005 10:43 AM

IF Terri survives to tomorrow... will Congress still go to her with regards to subpoena???? Can Michael have to answer our and their questions tomorrow with congress??

Posted by: Crystal Clear at March 24, 2005 10:44 AM

As much as I admire President Bush, I have to admit I'm very disappointed in him for his stance that he's done everything he can do. Don't remember where I read this (I think it was WorldNetDaily), but it didn't sound like he was willing to go as far as Clinton did.

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 10:45 AM

Jeb needs to step in now. It has nothing to do with politics -- it is about this woman and her right to live. I don't believe her husband and don't care what the law says. This is so unreal -- I totally agree with your right to choose to die but Terri is not in a situation where she is dying -- she is being murdered by the court.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 10:45 AM

This is so frightening. Anyone who has had major surgery knows what it is like to want water afterwards. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to go without fluid for so long.

Posted by: imtoast at March 24, 2005 10:45 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 10:45 AM

Posted by: imtoast at March 24, 2005 10:45 AM

Can't Jeb Bush hold Greer in contempt of Congress and arrest him and then send in marshals to get Terri?

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 10:46 AM

I think there's a lot more that can be done, but DCF (?) needs to stop the execution first!

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 10:47 AM

The Supreme Court sentences an innocent woman to death with this refusal. Muderers. The lot of them.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 10:50 AM

Send in the National Guard. I am afraid I would have to do whatever it took to get my daughter. I am a mother and I know how Terri's mother must be feeling.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 10:51 AM

Don't give up folks...

Contact:
Governor Jeb Bush
jeb.bush@myflorida.com

Telephone:
850/488-4441
Fax: 850/487-0801

Be polite, don't cuss or swear, and plead for him in get her...

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 10:54 AM

What bothers me is that criminals get a more humane out when they are put to death. The electric chair is more humane than starvation. If you starved a death row inmate to death, what do you think would happen? Yet these courts see no problem starving an innocent woman to death. This is a crock. All these judges just thinking of their carreers and not giving a damn about a woman that is still believed to have a shot at life. I am completely disgusted with our 'justice' system. Mike Schiavo is guilty of bigamy, having a common law wife and still married to Terry. But yet he's walking free, but Terry is going to die. Where is the justice?

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 10:59 AM

Don't people understand that it is not a Constitutional issue and it is not about the right to die???? I am concerned that the word of her husband is relied upon to kill her. That is a big issue for me. At least give her a chance and it shouldn't have had to come this far. There are underlying issues with the husband -- if he loved Terri he would not put her family through 12 years of hell. Let her go home to her Mother.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:01 AM

"DCF and Gov. Bush told Greer they were taking Terri into protective custody but Greer slapped them with a restraining order prohibiting them from doing so until at least NOON THURSDAY." The Empire Journal

That's an hour from now, folks!! The restraining order expires in an hour! Keep calling and praying!

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:01 AM

Call and pray, call and pray!

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 11:03 AM

Love of a mother goes a long way -- it can't be measured as to what the love of this family could do for Terri. Forget the law, forget the husband -- I am listening to her brother on Fox and it breaks my heart. The husband is one cold-hearted SOB.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:05 AM

Justice can only be served now if Jeb Bush takes Terri into PC. I'm cheering him on. Pure and simple, he will be a hero.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:07 AM

This whole thing smells really foul! There is some seriously evil forces at work here and what is bothering most of us is the fact that it has gained the upper hand! Do you realize that she could very well die on Good Friday? This is so bizzar and sureal! Please continue to flood Gov. Bush's phones/fax/email with your pleas for Terri's life!!! ...and don't stop praying!!!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 24, 2005 11:12 AM

Calling and praying.

I'll bet anything that the switchboard lights in heaven are outshining the sun right now.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:12 AM

I am so sick of the doctors saying how humane this will be for Terri. Why not just put her down like we would for a dog. That would be more humane then letting her lay in a bed and starve to death. Let the doctors try it first and then let us know what Terri will be feeling.

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:13 AM

I was planning on a wonderful vacation to Disneyworld this Christmas but this whole event has totally changed my mind. Why would I? I would have been spending at least $2,500 or alittle more on that trip. This has left me so sour to florida and the justice system down there. I think I can find something alittle closer to home!

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:17 AM

y'all probably aren't going to like this, and may never even see it {depending on the censoring of the mods} but here goes.
2 years ago I was in a court battle with a nursing home in Texas. you see, my father-in-law was admitted against his wishes with a degenerative brain desiese. (Huntingtons Chorea) He had a living will which EXPRESSLY stated no machines or frrding tubes. his condition deteriorated very quickly after being admitted. they stopped his meds claiming no arrangements were made to pay for them. (covered under Veterans admin.) we went to visit one day and were told he was at a Dr. appt. when in actually he was in an ambulance having a feeding tube inserted. when we next saw him the tube was in and the home wouldn't allow a doctor to remove it.we fought with the home in the courts for almost a year before HIS WISHES were finally acknowledged and the tube remove. He passed away a week later. we spent everything we had and then some. lost our home, his home......literally everything. we owe his attourney $75,000.00 . we owe the nursing home 45,000.00. I know what this is like for the family, and hope and pray that HER wishes are followed.
Congress and the presiden WAY overstepped their bounds. this case has been determined in the courts time and time again, and always with the same outcome. I say "FINALLY this woman will get some peace. Let her go with dignity. mourn her loss as you would any loss of life, but allow her her DIGNITY.
peace and one love

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 11:19 AM

Amen to that MoFiZiX. It seems as though God's restraint on the powers of evil has been loosened. We must keep praying - we fight not against flesh and blood, after all.

Posted by: cvaldivia93 at March 24, 2005 11:19 AM

Just been reading comments by people who are more outraged that Congress interferred than by the fact that the United States is allowing someone to starve to death. I am pro-abortion and pro-death penalty and yet I believe fully in Terri's right to live. My daughter was born at 1 1/2 pounds -- according to the thinking in this case, my daughter was not viable as she needed oxygen and a feeding tube and blood and constant care for 3 months. She is now 19 and totally blind but -- she will be attending college next year, is totally independent and is planning on being a timpanist in a symphony orchestra. Should I have given up and believed what people said? No way!!!

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:21 AM

It's interesting that I saw something about starvation on the History channel. First, the body starts to consume fat tissue. Then it starts to consume muscle tissue. After that, the organs begin to shut down, liver, pancreas, etc. Only the life sustaining organs left active. Heart, kidneys, lungs, and the brain. But in the case of the brain, the outter portions of the brain do shut down to leave only the portion of the brain controling the primal urges active. Basicly, you're turned into an animal. But with the dehydration, most doctors warn of the dangers of such. So it's a good question. Just how exactly is this humane?

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:22 AM

Hero? Jeb a Hero? Jeb, as head of the Justice Dept for the State of Florida, stopping a murder by a judge as a hero? When he didn't have Greer arrested when the order "Don't feed her by mouth" left his lips, hero? When he could have taken her under protective custody before the tube was ordered out? When he could have had DCF do the investigation on Michael YEARS AGO? Hero?

He'll be more than scum, but that's about it.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:22 AM

I'm sorry, but starving and dehydrating to death is NOT dying with dignity! Give me a break!

*sigh*

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 11:23 AM

Besides, Michael admitted on Larry King on the 18th that it wasn't HER wishes, it was his and his Attorney's decision.

Lovely man.

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 11:25 AM

What is Jeb waiting for? Fight Jeb Fight...

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:25 AM

For Goodness Sake people, he's going to the courts again in 1 hour for permission to do his Job! He knows what they'll almost certainly say, but he thinks he's covering his a**.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:25 AM

The facts are different in this case. Terri is not dying from a disease and yes, I agree. Everyone has the right to choose to die. But Terri did not put it in writing and her so-called husband only brought it up 7 years later and it has been disputed by an ex-girlfriend. Plus -- where did she get the neck and head injury. Was he trying to strangle her and cut off oxygen? Children are given representation in the courts and Terri at least deserved representation from the beginning. I have no issue with the right to die -- just in this case there is no clear evidence that she wants to die. She has lived this long!

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:26 AM

I read he was going to the hospice - I'll try to find where I read it, but it would probably have been WND or The Empire Journal.

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:27 AM

Trgrhappy,
You're missing one important point. Your Father-in-law had a living will. Terri has a disgruntled bastich of a bigamist husband just saying she said she didn't want to be kept alive. No documentation. There is no proof that Terri was the wish to die. Did you miss the part where she cried uncontrolably when asked if she wanted to die? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:27 AM

Trgrhappy,

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:27 AM

TheEmpireJournal.com

"As word spread Thursday morning that Gov. Jeb Bush is planning to visit Pinellas Park today, police forces were beefed up at the Woodside Hospice in Pinellas Park where Terri Schindler-Schiavo resides, now in her sixth day without food and water by order of Pinellas County probate judge George W. Greer."

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:28 AM

Does the DCF have a fax # ? Does anyone know or have one for them?

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:28 AM

Appologies to all for the posting hicup.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:29 AM

850-487-1111

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:30 AM

sorry that's phone#

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:30 AM

He better come out with her!

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:31 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:31 AM

Schiavo's attorney is speaking now on fox and it just makes me sick.

Posted by: CeCe at March 24, 2005 11:31 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Schiavo's attorney is speaking now on fox and it just makes me sick.

Posted by: CeCe at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

I agree, Rosalind!

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Schiavo's attorney is speaking now on fox and it just makes me sick.

Posted by: CeCe at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:32 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:33 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:33 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:33 AM

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:34 AM

You're welcome :o)

Posted by: Virginia at March 24, 2005 11:34 AM

"I guess Laci Peterson also died with dignity when she was MURDERED to death too, huh?"

Rosalind.......as you know Laci Peterson was a VERY different case. Did Ms. Peterson lay in a vegetative state for 15 years??? Wasn't Ms. Peterson pregnant? are you trying to tell us Terri is?? wasn't Ms. Peterson weighted down and dumped at sea? Looks like apples and oranges to me.if so much can be done thereputically for Terri, why has it not been tried for the last 15 years?
C'mon folks, lets get real here.
And by the way Rosilind, I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 11:34 AM

C'mon folks, lets get real here.
And by the way Rosilind, I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 11:35 AM

I firmly believe in the Constitution and all rights set forth -- I don't want the government involved in my family but if my so-called husband was trying to kill me I would hope that there would be someone out there willing to step in. It sucks to feel so powerless! Imagine how her family feels. The so-called husband's attorneys keep shoving the constitution in our faces. I think they are trying to make her less of a person that way.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:36 AM

Terri is not in a vegetative state. She DOES have minimal conciousness.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:36 AM

I just got through to Jebs office but it took a lot of redials. I can tell the staff is overwhelmed. I did get through and pleaded for him to take her into custody.

Posted by: LErin at March 24, 2005 11:38 AM

Here is the contact info from the DCF website:

The Florida Department of Children and Families

Lucy D. Hadi, Secretary
1317 Winewood Blvd.
Building 1, Room 202
Tallahassee, Florida
32399-0700 Phone: (850) 487-1111
Suncom: 277-1111
Fax: (850) 922-2993
Suncom: 292-2993

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 11:38 AM

Good work, LErin

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:39 AM

Sorry about that Virginia my server was having some serious hicups!

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:39 AM

ACLU representative talking about our rights to choose to die -- don't they understand that Terri NEVER stated that she wanted to die??? It was only by hearsay and 7 years later!!! More power to you if you have it written down but trusting someone with the motives of the so-called husband is insane!!!

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:39 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:39 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

Thank you minaflorida for that fax # !

Posted by: delphinius at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

minimal conciousness? only according to a doctor with questionable motives who NEVER EVEN EXAMINED HER, who was sought out by the state and the shindlers.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:40 AM

Please God help us. This cannot be allowed to happen. How will we have the energy to fight any injustice in the world if we can't stop this from happening. I am unable to compose myself and cannot reconcile this horrendous act in my head. As the entire world watches, the ignorant majority gives thier opinion. As the entire world watches, we give them reason to question our morality, our decency, our compassion. This is not the state of Florida. I live here and so do millions of others who feel the same. This is greed, power, and ignorance of some people. Look around... do you think Florida has a monopoly on these things? I know, based on his previous behavior, that Judge Greer is hopeless for us. I just beg Gods forgivness for us all. Our hearts break with Terri's family.

Posted by: byrok at March 24, 2005 11:41 AM

I was watching FOX until that evil attorney appeared on tv. I will not listen to that man and I will remove his sight from my eyes as soon as possible. That man is just pure evil, along with Greer and MS. I don't have to listen to evil.

I do give kudos to FOX for letting Bobby Schlinder say quite a bit, as heart breaking as it was. I kept expecting them to cut him off for a break but they did not.

Keep praying and praying. Oh, my heart is just sick for Terri and for the family.

Posted by: LifeisPrecious at March 24, 2005 11:41 AM

Amen, hollywood

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:41 AM

Sorry -- bug in the computer - didn't mean to post so many times!

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:42 AM

I didn't speak about Laci. Look BELOW the post for the writer.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:44 AM

I didn't speak about Laci. Look BELOW the post for the writer.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:44 AM

I didn't speak about Laci. Look BELOW the post for the writer.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:45 AM

Trgrhappy,
You really need to get your facts straight. There were more than one doctor trying to testify that fact but never got the chance. and they have, indeed, examined her. Watch the tape of her with the balloon. Her eyes are following it. And more than one staff member has said Terri watches them come into then room. That is conciousness.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 11:45 AM

I didn't speak about Laci. Look BELOW the post for the writer.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:45 AM

Thanks LErin for the comment - I've quoted you in my most recent post. - tim

Posted by: tim at March 24, 2005 11:45 AM

Rosalind.....Please accept my applogies for mis-reading

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 11:46 AM

Even if she were in a permanent vegatative state - even if she had no chance (which I don't believe since her sob husband wouldn't allow therapy and stuck her in a nursing home and withheld medications for infections) she needs better care! His wishes don't mean squat!

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:51 AM

Glenn Beck just reported that, in my words, Gov. Bush is going back with his tail between his legs (I'm sure) to JUDGE GREER the next appeal (ie. for permission to do his job). If Jeb has ANY FIBER IN HIM, he'll get in there and say, "Your Honor, you're under arrest....."

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:52 AM

I have prayed a lot, cried a lot-- and emailed Gov. Bush.

I just read this piece by Charles Krauthammer:

Krauthammer says:

"There is no good outcome to this case. Except perhaps if Florida and the other states were to amend their laws and resolve conflicts among loved ones differently -- by granting authority not necessarily to the spouse but to whatever first-degree relative (even if in the minority) chooses life and is committed to support it. Call it Terri's law."

I still hope that Jeb steps in to save Terri, but now I wonder whether God's plan all along was to ensure that something like "Terri's Law" is enacted.

But it is almost too much for me to bear that He has chosen this week, of all times. I am always uncomfortable (yes, frightened) when God moves so visibly.

Posted by: benjamin at March 24, 2005 11:54 AM

Well said Hollywood. You point to the ultimate question underlying all this - at one point does life cease to have value?

These are sad days indeed...

Posted by: cvaldivia93 at March 24, 2005 11:54 AM

Apology accepted trgrhappy.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:54 AM

I agree but then again he has to tread lightly. The fatal flaw in the case is the hearsay evidence of the SOB sho said Terri said she wouldn't want to be this way. They don't accept hearsay evidence in other cases - why this one???? I sincerely hope that Jeb Bush steps up to the plate.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:54 AM

Isn't there some law in Europe the Supreme Court could have used to save her, like it did to save those teenage murderers. Not that they would have needed it to do the right thing.... but.....

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 11:56 AM

Charles Krauthammer is great and has a lot of deep understanding due to the fact that he himself has a "disability." It is about the law and disability but everyone forgets there is a person in there. Her family hasn't forgotten and thank god, neither have we. My husband and I talked about this and we don't want a living will because I sincerely don't know how I would feel in Terri's place.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 11:58 AM

This isn't really from the surpreme court, but it's the first time I've read anything about it and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's accurate or not:

"Surprisingly, Whittemore said, the Schiavos did not argue in his court that they had medical evidence to counter previous testimony that Terri Schiavo is in a persistent vegetative state." (Quote from newsday.com)

If it's true why didn't they argue about possible wrong diagnoses? It seems to me that there's at least substantial disagreement with doctors to have pursed that.

Posted by: Vanessa at March 24, 2005 11:59 AM

I pray that Governor Bush will be the man "for such a time as this." That he will be "strong and courageous", and not worry about his personal consequences. That at this crossroad point, he will do the right thing. Lord help him. Amen.

Posted by: cvaldivia93 at March 24, 2005 12:01 PM

What's Krauthammer's disability hollywood?

I know he's a psychiatrist, if I remember correctly... but a disability? What?

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:02 PM

The Supreme Court only rules on matters of Constituional Law only so they couldn't rule on facts of the case. Terri wasn't allowed due process --

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:02 PM

I don't believe Whittemore. There's nothing those lawyers wouldn't do for Terri.....

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:04 PM

In his freshman year at Johns Hopkins medical school in 1972, he was paralyzed in a serious accident which permanently confined him to a wheelchair [1] (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/krauthammer082800.asp). Continuing medical training during his rehabilitation, he earned an M.D. from Harvard University's medical school in 1975, and worked as a psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital for several years. Krauthammer also engaged in research, for example he and his colleague Klerman described the secondary mania as a syndrome with multiple causes.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:06 PM

What's the term limit for Governor? He's been Gov. seven years, right? What does he really have to lose?

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:06 PM

I'm still waiting to hear why a series of judges would take a known bigamist's word over the family that actually loves and cares for Terri.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 12:07 PM

President :)

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:08 PM

Wow. Thanks hollywood. What a life story.

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:09 PM

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 12:10 PM

Hollywood. Do you think he has a chance in Hades with the pro-life and evangelical Republicans who only voted for Bush the second time, after they thought he was one of them? If the RNC nominates Jeb, they might as well give the election to Hillary....

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:12 PM

She is not dead. If she were brain-dead, we would be talking about harvesting her organs. She is a living, breathing human being. Some people have called her a vegetable. Apart from the term being disgusting, how do they know? How can we be sure of the complete absence of any consciousness, any awareness, any anything "inside" this person?

Charles'words.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:14 PM

The time is now

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 12:16 PM

Nope I am voting for Condoleeza -- another great life story there :) (me a democrat who has left the party)

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:16 PM

How can we be sure she never had the intimate conversation with her husband instructing him of her wishes. were any of us there? were her parents there? doubtful.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 12:17 PM

I can't watch or listen to any news. Somebody keep us up to date here please....

Posted by: Rosalind at March 24, 2005 12:19 PM

Why did it take him 7 years to talk about it and why did he say on Larry King that it was his wish? hmmmmmm ---

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:20 PM

"I sincerely hope a law like this NEVER comes about. Why? My wife and I have discussed this extensively recently. She know my wishes and I will be putting them to paper soon. in the meantime, spose I get in a car wreck and am in a vegatative state. My wife knows I don't want tubes and such. Now spose another family member comes along knowing my zest for life and says "he wouldn't have wanted it this way". the court then gives the family member more consideration than my wife, whom I've had intamate conversations with that family members aren't aware of."

Put it in writing.

We would not put a criminal to death on hearsay evidence, why would that be acceptable for an innocent life?

So put it in writing.

Posted by: benjamin at March 24, 2005 12:20 PM

Still waiting on decision of court as to state taking custody of Terri. Any time now.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:24 PM

"The point of the law would be to "err on the side of life" when your wishes are NOT known.

We do NOT want to be in a situation such as Terri's again: Where the only evidence that you wanted to die is hearsay evidence. We MUST err on the side of life. "

In my example my wishes would be known to my wife and not nessasserily to other people.

as for the 7 year wait, Maybe.....just maybe, her husband was holding out hope for some kind of recovery and finally came to a realization tha it wasn't going to happen. Maybe that was his mistake too....waiting.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 12:25 PM

The greer decision has been made. DCF and the gov. have been denied the request to take custody of Terri Schiavo.

The next step would be removal from the hospice by Executive order authorizing force.

I do not see this as a likely scenario.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 12:27 PM

Holding out hope while he shacked up with another woman and having kids with said woman? Not likely.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 12:32 PM

yes....holding out hope.....trying to appease the parents......giving the parents a shot at therapy?

Where was all this miricle therapy for the last 15 years. All the sudden therapy'll help this poor woman?

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 12:37 PM

Fox not reporting that?

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:37 PM

Forgive us, trgrhappy, if the rest of us don't share your feelings for the husband. Perhaps it is his living with another woman for the past ten or so years and having two children with her while still married to his wife. Or maybe it's the "Is that B*TCH dead yet?!" comments he made while his wife was under his care. It would be nice in most circumstances to give a spouse the benefit of the doubt, and to be sure, you're right, none of us were there to hear this supposed conversation. But it's REALLY HARD to believe this guy when his actions toward his wife - a woman he swore to love and cherish, in sickness and health, to death do they part - are so contrary to his actions. And in the absence of any written documentation in which Terri expressed her wishes to be starved to death should she be in the state she is in, it is only proper that we err on the side of life, as has been said before by many others on this board. To live in a society where the "default setting" becomes to err on the side of death is very chilling.

Posted by: cvaldivia93 at March 24, 2005 12:39 PM

Therapy was withheld by the husband. They won the award that was supposed to have given her rehab and treatment. He also signed a do not resusitate order only AFTER the malpractice suit had been won. He never gave her the opportunity and the parents have been fighting to get her help for over 2 years.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:40 PM

12 years - sorry

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:40 PM

holloywood: You mean about greer denying the Gov. and DCF motion? I don't think anyone is reporting it yet. It's the "buzz" however.

here's a link to info regarding that development:

I have not seen the written denial yet, however.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 12:41 PM

Was about to post that, hollywood. But you got it all. :)

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 12:42 PM

I realize he verbally denied the motion yesterday, and these reports are based on that.

Here's another good resource for the legal developments:

He says he'll have the order up as soon as he has a copy.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 12:44 PM

Didn't know Greer was a probate judge. Here in our small town the probate judge was elected and she is not a lawyer just a CLA. He needs to be removed from the case as it requires more than just a probate judge to determine the issues.

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:46 PM

Posted by: hollywoodpastels at March 24, 2005 12:46 PM

"again I ask....were any of us there for a conversation that may or may not have taken place?"

That's why it's called HEARSAY, you dullard.

Posted by: benjamin at March 24, 2005 12:51 PM

Here's a link for a CNN story where they cite Greer as having denied the new DCF motion today.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 12:58 PM

Benjamin.....I see we've resorted to name calling now....how sad. I thought maybe we were better than that.

To all others here, I thank you for the thought provoking insight. I may be totally wrong on this, but it is how I feel.

a little more to think about

God bless you all...even Benjamin :)

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 12:58 PM

My mistake. Greer appears to have denied the State petition but not yet officially denied the DCF petition.

I was under the impression (and I actually still am) that these are the same thing.

peculiar.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 1:02 PM

"Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has been part of the fight to prolong Schiavo's life, said on Wednesday a review of Schiavo's medical records by a neurologist for Florida's Adult Protective Services indicated she may have been misdiagnosed and was more likely in a state of minimal consciousness rather than in a persistent vegetative state."

Okay. This is a good example of what the liberal media does. Instead of stating Jeb is trying to "prolong" her life, why can't they say he is trying to "save" her life? What a difference one word can make.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 1:05 PM

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. — Florida Gov. Jeb Bush filed a request to take custody of Terri Schiavo on Thursday after the U.S. Supreme Court once again refused to order the severely brain-damaged woman's feeding tube reinserted.

Circuit Court Judge George Greer (search), who has consistently ruled that Schiavo did not want to be kept alive artificially, is expected to decide by noon on Bush's request. He also barred the Department of Children & Families in an emergency order from taking custody of the woman.

Turning custody of Schiavo over to the state would be an unprecedented and highly unlikely move.

"Absent of kidnapping, Terri Schiavo will remain in this hospice," said Bob Felos, an attorney for Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband and legal guardian.

But just as unlikely was the prospect that Bush would give up trying to get Schiavo's feeding tube reinserted before exhausting every legal option, no matter how remote.

"The governor is disappointed [at the Supreme Court decision] and will continue to do whatever he can within the law to save Terri's life," Bush spokesman Jacob DiPietre said.

From FOX News

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 1:11 PM

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 1:13 PM

Greenapple,

You are a sick SOB!

Posted by: Sadly Selifsh at March 24, 2005 1:13 PM

Best not to feed into him/her, Sadly. He/she is just wanting to be stupid for some reason.

Posted by: DarkOne at March 24, 2005 1:21 PM

As someone who disagrees with most of you on what should be done/what is being done in this case, let me say that I also found GreenApple's comment inappropriate and trollish.

Posted by: minaflorida at March 24, 2005 1:29 PM

Trgrhappy, I'm sorry for what happened. I hope that you have (1) made out a "durable power of attorney for health care" (according to my husband, you need this in addition to a living will), and (2) talked to a lawyer about suing the hospital for violating your father's clear directive.

You might also want to (3) file for bankruptcy. Then they can't take your house.

One good thing about the law passed in Congress on Terri's behalf is that it forces hospitals to respect living wills.

Again, I am sorry for your losses. It sounds as if your family was treated as badly as Terri's, only in reverse. :-(

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 1:47 PM

Mary.....thanks but the damage is done. the dollar values I stated are over and above the sale of both his AND my homes, my savings, his savings, his life ins policy payout, and my retirement portfolio.
the durable power of attny and living wills are in the works. My lawyer informed me we had no grounds for a suit as the courts authorized the feeding tube before we were even aware the home was considering it. Unfortunatly bankrupcy was our only option for the remainder of the bills.

Posted by: trgrhappy at March 24, 2005 2:02 PM

Thank goodness the court system is willing to protect the sanctity of the family, even if the executive branches of the federal and Florida state government are not. When Ms. Schiavo married her husband, she chose him over all others. She trusts him to fulfill her wishes.

Perhaps the most tragic aspect of this whole thing is that the parents just don't seem to want to accept the fact that their daughter has, for all intents, been dead for over a decade. When my grandmother's lung cancer metastasized to her brain, she was no longer the person we knew. When she passed a couple months later, it was a great relief that she had finally gone to meet her maker. Maybe that's when Ms. Schiavo's parents finally will be able to come to terms with their reality.

Posted by: moderninstances.com at March 24, 2005 2:06 PM