« Greer denies DCF petition | Main | Information And Directions To The Woodside Hospice »

March 24, 2005

SCHIAVO ACTION ALERT!!!

Topics: Action Items

Florida Judiciary Defines the Rule: State Constitution Be Damned!

Florida Constitution, Article I Section 2: All natural persons, female and male alike, are equal before the law and have inalienable rights, among which are the right to enjoy and defend life and liberty...No person shall be deprived of any right because of race, religion, national origin, or physical disability.

The Florida judiciary has determined that it can deprive Terri Schiavo of her right to life simply because she is disabled and allegedly has no hope of recovery.

This court system has defined a very simple rule, and it is this: The courts have the final say, State Constitution be damned.

The wanton disregard for Article I Section 2 by has created a constitutional crisis which cannot be solved by within the very system which created the crisis - the Florida courts. Going to the Federal route, as the numerous legal defeats have shown, is a losing proposition.

Gov. Bush is playing in the State Court's sandbox, and as a result, is reaching for statutory grounds on which to take Terri into custody. Does he seriously think the courts, which disregard the Constitution, are going uphold state laws?

Jeb needs to exercise his duty and responsibility as governor by enforcing Article I Section 2 - the illicit rules of the courts be damned!

Gov. Bush does not need to justify himself to the court nor file any more petitions. He simply needs to give the orders to take Terri into protective custody without delay. It is upon the court to explain how its orders do not violate Terri's rights, not he other way around.

Please call Governor Bush at 850-488-4441 and relay the following message to him.

"Gov. Bush, please enforce Article I Section 2 and stop playing by the illicit rules of the Florida Judiciary. You have the obligation and the authority to enforce the State Constitution without first having to explain yourself in court. No more excuses or court filings, just take Terri into custody NOW."

Posted by richard at March 24, 2005 2:11 PM

Articles Related to Action Items:

Comments

TO ARMS... TO ARMS!!!!!!
I'VE GOT 3 PHONES GOING AT THE SAME TIME HERE!!!!!
I REFUSE TO GIVE UP THE SHIP!!!!!!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 24, 2005 2:19 PM

In the immortal words of Terri Schiavo:

"Where there's life there's hope."

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 24, 2005 2:27 PM

harleygirl: I don't know the facts of the case so I can't really argue it. However the futile care law ALLOWS the family to take someone home and care for them, or arrange for outside care. something the Shaivos have BEGGED to do at their own expense, to no avail. It could be that the Futile care law is REALLY bad policy too. I don't know. Are these incidences related? Does that justify starving this woman to death???

Posted by: RightAlltheTime at March 24, 2005 2:35 PM

addendum: I sense you're trying to turn this into something political. It's not. I'm sure there are people here who voted against president Bush, some for. So what?

Posted by: RightAlltheTime at March 24, 2005 2:36 PM

RightAlltheTime, I'm confused. If you don't know all the facts, why are you even arguing this? Become informed, please!

Check out this site: it has ALL of the relevant information, all of the court documents, all of the testimony. It'll certainly help you figure out what is right and what is wrong for Terri: http://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/infopage.html

Posted by: Andrew at March 24, 2005 2:38 PM

There was a discussion on this Website about the little baby who died because of that rule in Texas.

Everybody was disgusted and outraged about it.

Posted by: Huntgoddess at March 24, 2005 2:39 PM

STOP with this inhumane call to arms and violence! God is willing to embrace her soul.

Posted by: JohnPublic at March 24, 2005 2:41 PM

By the way, on the TExas law, Bush wanted something that erred much more on the side of life, but there was no other choice. Stop spreading the lies about that.

Posted by: MikeKS at March 24, 2005 2:41 PM

The courts aren't above the law either. Bush would be enforcing the law, not going above it.

Posted by: MikeKS at March 24, 2005 2:42 PM

The law also used to say that blacks don't have equal rights as whites. Laws are sometimes wrong so don't spew that garbage about if the law says it's so, then it's right...

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 2:43 PM

I didn't say I was uninformed re: the Schaivo case. I simply have not researched the Texas Futile Care law, so don't care to comment on it. My POINT (if you care to read it) is that EVEN IF the Texas Futile care law is bad policy, why is that an argument for letting that violent, remorseless, wife abusing philanderer KILL Terri Schaivo

Posted by: RightAlltheTime at March 24, 2005 2:43 PM

Harleygirl, I was just as disgusted as you when I read about little Sun Hudson being taken off the ventilator. I think he should have been kept on it until he was big enough for a lung transplant.

However, the Texas "Futile Care" act was actually an improvement over previous Texas law. The previous law had stipulated only 72 hours' notice to the next of kin, and no appeal from the decision of the hospital ethics board. The "Futile Care" law extended the notice period to 10 days and allowed an appeal by the next of kin. One hospital that was going to turn off life support to a 68-year-old man has already relented and, under the terms of the "Futile Care" law, has allowed his family to take him to another facility for care.

So, it's not great, but it's better than what Texans had before. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 2:45 PM

I simply find it amazing that so many are so quick to say "but it's what she wanted it this way," but when you point to the mountain of evidence proving that there is some seriously questionable stuff going on here, you get "that's here-say! It's a smear campaign by the parents to make her husband look like a bad guy... bla, bla, bla!" Oh really? An just what are you basing your knowledge of Terri's living will desires? You sorry bunch of phonies aren't pulling the wool over my eyes. I see you lies and I see your deception! You are either a bunch of ignorant dolts for buying into the propaganda of the culture of death or you are a direct instrument of the Devil himself! Get behind me Satan! My shadow will not be cast upon the wall by you false light! I spit upon thee and rebuke thee in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

...sorry folks, I usually don't get that religiously aggravated;)

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 24, 2005 2:45 PM

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 2:45 PM

For those people who wish to argue about other issues I suggest you go elsewhere. This is a website for those who in support of Terri and the Schindlers. You coming in and trying to cause discourse is as bad as a group of college kids bringing in a keg of beer into an AA meeting.

Posted by: Sirena at March 24, 2005 2:45 PM

*hicup!*

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 24, 2005 2:46 PM

STOP with this inhumane call to arms and violence call and let this woman die in peace!

The last time I checked, starving and dehydrating someone (or even pets) to death was inhumane.

There is NOTHING you, or Jeb or W or ANYONE else can do about it, so you might as well accept it.

And all that's missing from the image in my minds eye is a pencil-thin moustache being twiddled between two anxious fingers and the sound of a sneer.

Posted by: pietro30 at March 24, 2005 2:47 PM

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 2:47 PM

Arrgh! I apologize to everyone for the multiple postings. I kept getting a TCP_ERROR. From now on, I am only going to hit "Post" once, regardless of any error message I get. ;-)

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 2:49 PM