« Some Concise Facts for Congress | Main | Judge Greer Leaves Church After Criticism »

March 19, 2005

Patricia Heaton Pleads for Terri Schiavo

Yesterday's news but still an important one. Few womens groups have supported Terri, and having Patricia on board is important.

Christian Wire Service
Two-time Emmy winner and New York Times best-selling author Patricia Heaton pled for the life of Terri Schiavo today as Terri's life-sustaining feeding tube was removed. Heaton serves as Honorary Chair of Feminists for Life of America.

"We must not let Terri Schiavo be starved to death," said Heaton. "This deliberate and painful destruction of a woman's life cannot be justified or tolerated. Terri deserves better."

Fifteen years ago Terri's husband Michael testified in the medical malpractice suit he filed: "I believe in the vows I took with my wife: through sickness and health, for richer or poor. I married my wife because I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm going to do that."

But after being awarded $800,000 for Terri's rehabilitation and lifetime care and $640,000 for his loss, Michael had a do-not-resuscitate order placed on his wife's chart and repeatedly denied her treatment for infections. He now lives with a woman by whom he has fathered children.

The star of Everybody Loves Raymond says she is outraged. "By his actions Michael Schiavo has demonstrated that he should not be the one making the ultimate life or death decisions for a woman who, only in legal terms, remains his wife. His belief that this was Terri's wish counters the views of Terri's family who, no doubt, know Terri well. Removal of a feeding tube will result in a slow starvation that is cruel and painful."

"Feminists have always challenged the idea that married women have no rights of their own," said Heaton. "A husband should not be granted absolute control over his wife's fate, especially a disaffected husband with dubious motives."

Continue reading ...

Hat tip - Black Kettle and Hidden Nook

Posted by richard at March 19, 2005 5:26 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Patricia Heaton Pleads for Terri Schiavo:

» Patricia Heaton Pleads for Terri Schiavo from Hyscience
A husband should not be granted absolute control over his wife's fate, especially a disaffected husband with dubious motives." [Read More]

Tracked on March 19, 2005 6:02 PM

Comments

It never fails to amaze me the number of people who give "she's suffering" as the reason Terri's life should be terminated.

Don't these people realize how horrible a death starvation is? People who starve animals are (rightly!) thrown into prison for it.

This argument for ending her "suffering" by adding to it makes no sense!!!

Posted by: mamapajamas at March 19, 2005 6:27 PM

"dubious motives" is putting it mildly...

Posted by: Teri J at March 19, 2005 6:30 PM

------
THANK YOU!!!!!
I've been waiting for someone to articulate this point. Those who say that Michael Schiavo should have what are effectively property rights over his living wife would take us back to the Dark Ages.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 19, 2005 6:35 PM

Exactly, A woman is not the equivalent to the tools in the garage, as noted in wills of the old days. Thank you Patricia for being the FIRST woman to stand up for Terri. I knew I liked her.

Posted by: chardonnay at March 19, 2005 6:47 PM

THANK YOU Patricia Heaton! Mary in LA couldn't have said it any clearer either!

Posted by: anonymous at March 19, 2005 7:02 PM

Oh, I could debate the marriage thing... technically marriage is supposed to be a partnership, supporting one another, etc. A real husband would have his wife's best interests at heart and would do anything in his power to help his wife live and improve. Michael is not what a husband is supposed to be.

Posted by: Amy at March 19, 2005 7:22 PM

It seems to me that Michael Schiavo terminated his rights as "husband" when he entered a common-law marriage with his his "fiance", creating two children along the way and as it is today, he should be charged with polygamy.

Posted by: Chris at March 19, 2005 7:28 PM

A small child was taken off life support in Houston against the parents wishes in Texas this week. There was no outrage from the Republicans. Perhaps if the child was white, the Republicans would have been more vocal.

Posted by: Bonddad at March 19, 2005 7:49 PM

I don't agree with what they did to that baby either. I don't know all the facts, but one fact is clear, if they'd been attempting to starve Sun to death, there would be outrage no matter what his color - black, white, yellow, or red. "Republicans" aren't the only ones involved here, but it just so happens that Republicans have a very large right-to-life voting block so they're more vocal. Democrats have to pander to the death crowd for their votes.

Posted by: Virginia at March 19, 2005 7:58 PM

Wow! An celebrity who is actually pro-life? Isn't she afraid for her job? She must be a very brave woman. God bless her!

Posted by: Danny at March 19, 2005 8:57 PM

Thank you Patricia for speaking so clearly and summarizing this case. President Bush's statement described this case as having "serious questions and substantial doubts". It is too bad we need high profile people to bring the truth out on this case. It is time the media starts reporting and investigating these facts. If it did, I am sure Terri would not be starving right now. I am shocked and cannot believe this is actually happening.

Posted by: Ann at March 19, 2005 11:28 PM

God bless Patricia Heaton and Feminists for Life.

Posted by: Lynn at March 20, 2005 1:31 AM

One of my greatest fears is that Terri will die in the next few days, and only then will any judge begin to entertain the idea that Michael may not have had her best interest at heart. Or greater yet may begin to investigate the possibility that Michael was an attempted murderer and abuser of his lovely wife.

Posted by: Ilene at March 22, 2005 12:21 PM

Has Patricia Heaton met Michael Schiavo, has she met Terri Schiavo? Is she a Doctor, or a lawyer? This case has been argued in the Florida courts for 7 years...and Terri Schiavo had a legal guardian, and I'm not sure if this was the same person or a second person but there was also a court appointed Doctor....and everytime the courts have ruled that Terri Schiavo did not wish to be kept alive in this way, and that she will never recover. I just saw on TV that the parents have been quoted as saying that even if there was a Living Will, in writing by Terri, they would have fought it, and they would have tried to keep her alive. I guess I have to agree with the feminists that woman have no rights, you're upset that the husband is trying to uphold the wife's wishes...I'm just as upset that Congress has determined that the parents have the right to speak for the adult daughter, and in this case the parents would have had no intention of upholding the daughter's wishes. This case is very upsetting on so many levels and I think its very irresponsible of Patricia Heaton to go on TV and make the comments I've heard her make about the husband when I sincerely doubt she has anymore info on the case then the rest of us. Let Terri Schiavo go in peace...how sad that this woman is being used by so many to promote their own causes. Shame on the politicians and shame on Patricia Heaton.

Posted by: AnnR at March 23, 2005 12:26 AM

If we are going to let Terri decide her own fate, then let's take a look not just at a momentary conversation she may have had with her husband (which he failed to recollect until several years after Terri collapsed). Let Terri's life and actions speak for her wishes. She lived her life in accordance with her faith. All involved have agreed Terri was a practicing catholic, and in being such, I think it is clear she would not want her life to end in this manner.

Posted by: Mary at March 23, 2005 11:21 AM