« Judge Greer Leaves Church After Criticism | Main | Update from Hospice Woodside – March 19, 2005 »

March 19, 2005

On 'I Have Personal Knowledge Of This Case'

This is an excerpt written by a woman who worked with a former attorney for the Schindlers, and it's posted on this blog. The blog that carries this account also reprinted the Empire Journal's article describing intimate connections between some of the major players in Terri's case.

I HAVE PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF THIS CASE
Posted by: Terri Marie Vicario-Sturgeon March 17, 2005 12:05 PM
About a year and a half ago, I worked two 40 hour wknds(!) up all night in the offices of the (former) lawyer for Terri's parents. I was able to read most of the files on the case. I was there when two former nurses phoned (separately and entirely of their own volition)and asked to come in and give an affidavit about what they knew. They said they could no longer keep silent, though for years they were so intimidated by Michael Schiavo, they were afraid to speak up. I was there when each of them, on their own, arrived in the garage of the office building. Both of them looked around to make sure they were not being followed! Both of them described hideous behavior over the years by Michael Schiavo. They described his phone calls (especially when she had an infection and he forbade antibiotics) asking the nurses "Is the bitch dead yet?" and his boasting of how he was going to spend the money he would get after her death. Weeks would go by when he would not visit at all. Once he received the million dollar settlement, he forbade Terri being taken outside in a wheelchair for change of scenery and fresh air. He forbade music on her radio. He had her personal effects removed from the room - all visual stimuli.

Her parents and siblings were not allowed to visit her and could not read her chart. One of the nurses talked about his visits to Terri when he closed the door and was alone with her. When that nurse entered the room after he left, she found Terri shaken, trembling and pale and looking as if she was in a diabetic crisis. Terri has no blood sugar problems due to her regulated diet, but seeing her distress and the appearance of diabetic crisis, the nurse gave her a glucose test anyway and the numbers were so skewed that it was clear Terri was in insulin shock. The nurse gave her a shot to alleviate the diabetic shock and immediately suspected Michael had injected her during his visit to cause this. I believe she said this happened at least twice. The nurses also described taking care of Terri and how when she had menstrual cramps she would curl up and put her hands on her tummy (she was able to move them in those early days before the atrophy progressed due to Michael forbidding therapy)and clearly say "Pain!" or "Pain!" and call for her mother. They said that's how they knew to give her medication for her menstrual pain. They talked about how after Michael won the big settlement award, he forbade all further rehab treatment of every kind. So, on a visit to Terri, he saw this nurse had threaded a washcloth between Terri's fingers to relieve the cramping and he pulled it out of her fingers and shouted "I said NO THERAPY!" Michael removed all family photos from her room. He refused to allow her teeth to be brushed (no doubt hoping a tooth infection would give her a heart attack). When the nurses wrote in her daily chart they had observed her speaking words like "Pain" and "Mommy", the next day their comments were missing from the chart! They talked about how he would stand extra close to them and shout in their faces that he would see that they were fired if they tried to feed her or go against any of his orders. He is a very tall and large man and towers over the average man or woman.

They also mentioned that he was having an affair or flirtation with the head nurse and they suspected that's how the charts were being altered. One nurse tried to report the mistreatment of Terri and was fired. I seem to recall she even went to the police but nothing came of it. And there is more - George Felos was on the Board of Directors (cannot recall if he was chair or owner) of the hospice where she was kept. He resigned his post to avoid the scandal of that connection being made. Some of you may not realize that legally a hospice is only for those who have six months or less left to live, who are terminally ill. Hospice is not a convalescent home - it is a place to die in painless comfort with counseling and support given to patient and family. Terri does not belong in hospice. Patients in her condition are normally cared for in convalescent homes. Did you know that George Felos has a book about Terri already written and ready to publish as soon as she dies?

While I worked at that law office, coincidentally, one of the attorneys had an unrelated reason to visit a local funeral home. During that visit, a casual conversation with a funeral home employee revealed, entirely by accident, that the funeral home had an "open file" set up for the immediate, without delay or autopsy, cremation of Terri Schiavo upon her death. Michael Schiavo made these arrangements immediately after winning the big million dollar settlement and all these years they stand ready to carry out his wishes. Once her body is cremated, no one will ever be able to prove the abuse he is so desperate to conceal.

While working in that office I also read statements by co-workers and friends of Terri about the bruises she had, the evident signs of physical abuse that were visible when she would come to work and which she claimed were the result of wrestling with Michael, but no one believed that. Eventually, she admitted to a co-worker and a friend that she wanted to leave Michael and that he was dominating and controlling and she was frightened of him. She talked about leaving him and sharing an apartment with the girlfriend she confided in. She said that Michael was so controlling and scary that he would check her odometer after her daily usage of the car. His behavior is an exact match to that of spousal abusers. When Terri met Michael, she was completely smitten with him - he was very handsome and he was her first boyfriend. She had been a bit chubby and became very weight conscious to be attractive to him. She worshipped him initially and he was able to dominate and intimidate her quite easily due to her naivete. Terri was a vivacious girl. She was a rescuer and enabler by nature. She loved and cared for injured birds and animals and was very much pro-life. She is also Catholic and there is no reason to believe she disagrees with the church's pro-life stance.

To those who have heard negative comments about Terri's parents, I will say that I am a mature sophisticated woman and have lived all over the country and worked in the health and legal fields most of my life. I met her parents and I have no doubt whatsoever that they are anything less than devoted, loving parents. They are both small in stature and soft-spoken gentle ordinary, middle-class people. I have children in their 30's - parental love only grows with the years and I would fight as hard as they have to prevent the completion of the murder of their daughter.

Most of the money awarded by the court for Terri's rehabilitation has been paid to George Felos. I don't understand how money that is misspent as this was cannot be grounds for prosecution of Michael. He wept in court and brought experts in to testify that Terri could be rehabilitated if they only were given enough money. So, they won that settlement and he immediately ceased all rehab.

I am baffled by the stubborn meanness and refusal of that idiot probate(!) (probate law does not require genius, to put it mildly) judge Greer to admit solid evidence and handle this case fairly. Who knows what transpires behind closed doors to slant the judge in this fashion? Conspiracy? As long as people in this country allow themselves to be told "conspiracy" is a bad word or that believing one exists means you are a nutcase, then we will continue to be duped by unprincipled, self-serving criminals who worship money and power and have no respect for human life. A conspiracy is whenever two or more people secretly plan something and clearly something has compromised the justice in this case.

Just for the record, I am pro-choice and I also believe in a patient's right to choose IF they are able to prepare and sign a witnessed, notarized living will or DNR document. Terri is not vegetative or in any coma at all. Who cannot see the love and life in her eyes when she sees her mother? She was nearly killed and will be killed if Michael gets his way. George Felos will have a bestseller and probably kick back some of that money to Michael Schiavo and who knows who else will profit?

I had to share some of these facts - the news never really reports the truth nowadays. Each day, our local news stations continue to refer to Terri as in a vegetative coma and it infuriates me. Not one journalist, not the local TV news nor the big stations, Larry King, Barbara Walters, etc., has thoroughly sleuthed out all the facts, even the ones I described here, and reported them to the public.
I cannot help but mention to all of you reading this - with so little truth being reported on this case . Do you really think you are getting the truth about everything and that Terri's case is an isolated incident of lies and deceit and poor reporting?

Terri Schiavo is starving.

Posted by powersthatblog at March 19, 2005 8:05 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference On 'I Have Personal Knowledge Of This Case':

» Thirty Pieces of Silver from Christianity and Middle-Earth
A distressing number of reporters and newscasters seem to know little about Terris case apart from what theyve read in their Cliffs Notes...we get the same old refrain, like an endlessly repeated dirge from a vending machine: drop a quarter in and ... [Read More]

Tracked on March 19, 2005 9:15 PM

Comments

Unbelievable read. Terri should be allowed to live absolutely. Her parents love her and are willing to take care of her for the rest of her life. God bless them. Michael should go file for divorce - that's all he wants - he's not entitled to any money. His new girlfriend should support him and their children!

Posted by: Lori at March 19, 2005 8:39 PM

This is just further confirmation that something is rotten in the state of Florida.
It is a great read from someone who is pro-choice in what looks like the correct circumstances. I admire her courage for speaking up and stating what she knows.

Posted by: Maggie at March 19, 2005 8:54 PM

As a physician, it sounds like Terri is NOT in a coma--talking would confirm that as does her smiling. Even if she were, I believe in the value of ALL life, no matter how "insignificant" to soceity. I do NOT believe that any treatment plan can be made on a patient who has not been previously known to the doctor without an exam. Important info can be gained from old records, yes, but to see and lay hands on the patient is the best way to get an idea of what is needed. The comments on the blogs from earlier today are disturbing to me--how can his abuse and attitude not be brought up in court? How can his crying saying he wanted money for therapy only to stop it as soon as he got the money not how up? And I agree, HOSPICE is for those dying by definition. Others get rehab to the extent they are able to improve, then are maintained with rehab. We don't know her potential yet as she hasn't had enough therapy, and it sounds like she has deteriorated some with contractions of her hand muscle due to this lack of help. I care about Terri's life, even though I've never met her. I want to see her live and be rehabilitated to the greatest extent possible.

Posted by: Jenny at March 19, 2005 9:01 PM

I wonder what the trolls will have to say about this.

Posted by: Old Coot at March 19, 2005 9:06 PM

I would like to give my prayer to Terri who continues to win her battle for freedom.
One day she will awake in the tunnel of light leading her to the best of life that many people have set foot thru. Terri will finally get to walk and talk on her own and being guided by the beutiful angels of heaven.
Terri I wish you best of luck and a wonderful trip, enjoy your freedom
Sorry for all the pain the govenors/senates have caused you Im sure you will forgive them.
but then if the tube is reinserted I am sorry for the pain they have started in your life again.
Wish you best of luck.
Dave

Posted by: Dave at March 19, 2005 9:19 PM

This is just so sad. Everything that I thought was actually happening is in fact happening. I'm up here in Michigan and just heart struck by this case. I'm hate saying this, but I've always felt that most if not all of the doctors in Florida were nothing more than hacks. My dad had a stroke in Florida and the treatment methods were nil to none. My mom had a rare cancer of the bones and we brought her back to Michigan in order to get care that she would have never gotten if left in Florida. I'm sorry if this offends anyone in the Medical profession in Florida, but as far as I'm concern, most Doctors there are nothing buy Medicare mongers and Money is first, care only in a far distant second.
On to another oddity in Florida is how their judicial system seems to work. Oddly, two cases in recent days come to mind. The first and foremost is this case with Terri and the judge. The other is where that poor little girl of nine was kidnapped and killed by a sex offender that lived an eye shot from her house. What is it with the judges down there. Florida isn't some back hills state in some 3rd world country. Yet every time I read the news, it's some horrific case where Doctors or Judges have made some really stupid decisions.
I can only pray to god that Terri's life is spared from the torture that her husband has legally by the state of Florida imposed on her. The MSM screams wildly in the press when panties are placed on the heads of the terrorist, yet strangely silent when a person is sentenced to death by starvation. My Prayers go out to Terri and her birth Family. I can not include that man who says he is her husband, his intentions are for her to die.

Posted by: Renee at March 19, 2005 9:26 PM

If you were a physician with any knowledge of the case perhaps you would at least know that the claim is not that she's in a coma, but that she is in a vegetative state. Brain death and a coma are two completely different things. Having pro-life views is perfectly understandable but at least have your facts straight. Otherwise you make anyone with a reasonable view on your side look equally misguided.

Posted by: Mike at March 19, 2005 9:41 PM

This is nothing more than more evidence and perhaps God is using this case to remove Judges that are an offense to him.

"That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

Obviously Greer has failed that as not only an officer of the law, but as a "Christian" as well. May God have mercy on his soul.

Posted by: Hidden Nook at March 19, 2005 9:43 PM

Oh yeah! Scrpiture is Gen 18:25.

Posted by: Hidden Nook at March 19, 2005 9:44 PM

Good heavens - after reading this, it is clear that Michael Schiavo should be permanently barred from access to Terri immediately! A personal guard should be on duty 24/7 and an order of protection should be issued immediately!

Michael Schiavo has acquired nursing skills that give him access to products that can be used to harm her again (i.e. insulin as mentioned above).

What on earth is going on in Florida's legal system?

Continue to pray and anyone that is within easy commuting distance to this hospice should take shifts to guard Terri's life. This article provides ample concern that Michael Schiavo may no longer be patient enough to wait for this court ordered removal of nourishment to finish Terri off.

May God continue to protect and BLESS Terri and the Schindler family and all who support them.

Posted by: anonymous at March 19, 2005 9:59 PM

I am just heartbroken. The judge and Terri's so-called husband are cruel. I see no reason why the husband has any say so in her case. He has went on with his life. He is just waiting for the money to come rolling in when Terri is no longer there. He disgusts me!
To Terri and her family:
I'm praying! I'm behind you 100%!!!!!!!

Posted by: Amanda at March 19, 2005 9:59 PM

It troubles me the press is showing pictures of Terri and Michael as a loving couple in the news, while failing to tell of his live in girlfriend and the two children he has had with her since Terri's illness.

I do not see Michael as a loving husband. Terri's health decision's should be given to her parents, not a husband who would have much to gain and profit.

Michael should have been decent enough of a man to divorce Terri before living with another woman, and having children. Some loving guy here! (not). How dare he use the sacredness of marriage, Michael does not seem to know what it means!

Posted by: anoymous at March 19, 2005 10:53 PM

It seems that "Mike" has been very busy reading the articles and commenting on this site. I am wondering if this "Mike" is in fact Schiavo trying to thumb his nose at those of us who care about his wife that he has so flagrantly abused and abandoned as he seeks to kill her, and to cover his own tracks with regard to her injury.

Let us get a few things straight here. Terri is neither in a coma, or is she PVS. I would think (without the medical knowledge) that PVS and coma are in fact interchangeable terms. People do recover from being in a coma, but many more do not recover. My sister was in a coma for two weeks and she was one of the lucky ones who fully recovered.

The problem with the definition of PVS is that it is nothing short of airy fairy, and there are many problems that are being highlighted by the use of that definition.

There are anomalies in Terri's case and these anomalies have never been addressed by George Greer. (he seems to be a part of the conspiracy to murder Terri). For instance, it is an anomaly to use a doctor who advocates a pro-euthanasia stance to be an expert witness. He has a vested interest in promoting his own agenda and therefore he cannot be said to be unbiased. It is also an anomaly to use a court appointed doctor who is a relative of the presiding judge in the case. With this kind of anomaly one has to question the bias of those who have examined Terri.

Second, and I believe that Jay Wolfson is being very sincere with his opinions, I believe that there is an anomaly concerning how Jay's meeting with Mrs Schiavo was set up. A very serious question has to be raised about whether or not Michael Schiavo injected her with medicine to ensure that she would not be responsive whilst Wolfson was examining her. I would like to see Mr. Wolfson return to the hospice unannouced to make a private visit with Terri and see if she is in any different from what he had seen during his official examination.

Third, there is the anomaly of guardianship and the manner in which funds that were set aside for Terri have been wasted by George Felos and Michael Schiavo. These funds are supposed to be for Terri's rehabilitiaton. Michael refuses all efforts for rehabilitiation and then he tries the sob story about being told that there was no hope. What is of concern is that Florida has a name for bad guardianship cases, and George Greer is at the centre of that bad name.

Fourth, there is the anomaly of the nature of the medical examinations. These examinations were insufficient and are of no use in determining the true status of Terri's brain. The claim about the CT scan indicating that her cortex has liquified is nothing more than a smokescreen.

Fifth, for those who claim that Terri has already left her body, I say stop reading L Ron Hubbard and go seek the truth. This is yet another anomaly that has come from the use of a bad definition of death. Terri Schiavo is not brain dead. If she was brain dead then she would be kept alive on machines but that is not the case here. If she were brain dead then she would be totally lacking all response and that is clearly not the case because she has the ability to blink and make other responses.

This case is being fought as though it is a right to die case, yet it should be fought along the lines that everyone has the right to life. We do not know for certain that Terri ever made such a wish to Michael Schiavo. He has been advised by George Felos to continue the pretense that Terri had made that kind of wish known so that he can continue the lie about Terri.

It is obvious that Terri does not want to die. She has been kept in that very austere room for more than 5 years and she has not given in and become gloomy as the devotees of L Ron Hubbard expected. Instead she has shown a real tenacity.

If Terri truly had a death wish then I have no doubt that she would be dead by now. I say that because of the effects that the current husband abuse must be having upon her. I say that because I feel that she must feel dispirited over her situation, yet she can laugh with her family.

George Greer should be removed from the bench in Florida. George Felos should be thoroughly investigated for guardianship and medicaid fraud. They deserve time in a prison cell.

Posted by: Maggie at March 19, 2005 10:53 PM

Terri not only has the right to live, but must be allowed to be rehabilitated so she can speak up about what has *really* happened and one day we can see her so called "husband" (nothing more than an adulture and possibly much worse)in prison along with Judge Greer.

I hope that one day she will be posting on blogs such as this and will tell us all what really happened, and will be updating us on the court case against Michael!

Posted by: GeorgiaGuy at March 19, 2005 11:38 PM

This is just another disheartening exhibit of man's inhumanity to man, or as in this case, woman. Where are all of these so-called women's activist groups? Here is a perfect example of a man having total control not only of a woman's quality of life but of her very existance and yet they do nothing, say nothing. Here is the opportunity for them to help a woman who is in as great a need for their support as any I have ever seen before. Their silence is deafening to me.

Posted by: sknite at March 20, 2005 12:43 AM

I can't beieive that with all that her husband has done to her has not come out in the courts
that man want her dead for another reason then money and I pray that Terri will some day talk and tell what really happend. He don't love her one bit and I can't beleive that she would tell him her wishes on her death and not tell her parents. Something is not right and I hope and pray they find the real reason before anything
bad happens to Terri. The judge needs to get him away from that girl for good. From all that I have read there something he is hiding. God Be with Terri.

Posted by: Dawn at March 20, 2005 10:45 AM

This is one evil case. I cannot believe that Michael is allowed to be Terri's guardian. And George Greer has no heart at all! All my prayers go out to Terri and her family!

Posted by: Rhonda at March 21, 2005 12:07 AM

Where are the champions of justice? All that has been reported about the abuse taken by this woman should bring forth someone who can honestly investigate this case thoroughly starting with what caused the brain damage in the first place!!! These reports suggest a horrific situation for a helpless woman who seemingly wants to live and be loved and comforted by her birth family. There is something wrong with laws that allow an estranged husband who obviously is only interested in getting money to order her starvation and to have access to her when he is obviously a danger to her. I am very concerned about the loss of value for life coming about in this nation. First, the unborn....now the mentally handicapped. Is the day approaching when those who have the right to life will be required to be under a certain age and without any disabilities? This devaluing of life is an abomination to God who is the giver of life, and should be the only one to decide the length of our days. If we allow Terri's death and establish a precedent in this nation for the destruction of the disabled, we are in serious trouble....with certain judgment to come. I feel we are already under judgment for the many murders of the unborn in this country under the pro-choice agenda.

Posted by: Carol Lyles at March 21, 2005 10:52 AM

I am a 37 year old mother of three teenagers. I would NEVER want to live if you can say living a life the way Terri is. My husband has every right to decide enough is enough. And I would also want him to get on with his life as Terri's husband has. I guess that is real love and NOT selfish, political garbage that everyone is making this issue out to be. There is not one of you that would say YES, I want to live in a vegetative state, on a feeding tube, with no control of my bowel and bladder, and please God make sure my husband or wife never has a life again because after all he is my husband or wife and has to stay by my side for for ALL eternity!!! Do I hear any yeses??? Didn't think so!Oh, if there is a yes, we definetly have a list of Therapist that can help you and your so called "right to life" issues!

Posted by: Angel at March 22, 2005 5:29 AM