« BlogsForTerri being interviewed on BBC Radio this afternoon | Main | Michael Schiavo: NO VISITORS PERIOD! (Updated) »

March 20, 2005

Nurse: Terri Can Eat Normally

A certified nursing assistant who cared for Terri Schiavo in 1997 filed a sworn affidavit in the case stating that she was able to feed Schiavo normally on multiple occasions - but that husband Michael Schiavo would allow only a feeding tube.

Heidi Law, a CNA at the Palm Gardens nursing home, testified: "At least three times during any shift where I took care of Terri, I made sure to give Terri a wet washcloth filled with ice chips, to keep her mouth moistened. I personally saw her swallow the ice water and never saw her gag.

"[Another CNA] and I frequently put orange juice or apple juice in her washcloth to give her something nice to taste, which made her happy. On three or four occasions I personally fed Terri small mouthfuls of Jello, which she was able to swallow and enjoyed immensely."

Editorializing on the case in light of Law's account, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette said Sunday, "It is one thing to withdraw a feeding tube; another entirely to withhold that day's meal tray."

Continue reading ...

Posted by richard at March 20, 2005 3:43 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Nurse: Terri Can Eat Normally:

» Nurse: Terri Can Eat Normally from Hyscience
Law testified that the only reason she didn't attempt to feed Ms. Schiavo more frequently was "because I was so afraid of being caught by Michael." [Read More]

Tracked on March 20, 2005 3:54 PM

Comments

There is so much evidence not to euthanize her, and none whatsoever to the contrary other than the heresay of the one person who stands to benefit from her departure. The medical evidence supporting Michael is purely subjective - Michael (allegedly) has not allowed any tests to be done that would substantiate their conclusions. What the hell is wrong with this Judge Greer? Is the Judge trying to prove some point as to how unjust the justice system can be or something, at the expense of Terri's life? Someone slap some sense into these idiots!

Posted by: demonsurfer at March 20, 2005 3:56 PM

The judge has violated numerous state laws.

This is a conspiracy!

Posted by: ElizabethV at March 20, 2005 4:00 PM

Demonsurfer - right on!

Posted by: Sirena at March 20, 2005 4:08 PM

But, don't you see, she's lying. All the doctors that have questioned whether she is in a PVS are lying. All the nurses that have recorded responsiveness from Terri are lying. All her visitors that swear she's responsive are lying. Even the videos showing her responding, laughing, smiling--they are just special effects. Everybody is lying except Michael. Get with the program people.

Posted by: Corie Schweitzer at March 20, 2005 4:08 PM

Obviously that is tongue in cheek, right Corie?

Posted by: Sirena at March 20, 2005 4:18 PM

Where is the affidavit? Where is Heidi Law? Who is Heidi Law? You people keep throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. You say the document and this person exist, produce them! Otherwise you're no better than Dan Rather. Just making stuff up to fit your own agenda.

Posted by: Chris at March 20, 2005 4:53 PM

Chris, go to the link below:

Read No. 22 Affidavit of Carla Iyer, R.N. and No. 23 Affidavit of Heidi Law, Certified Nursing Assistant)

Posted by: Miranda at March 20, 2005 5:02 PM

Here where you can view Heidi Law's official court affavadit, you jackass:

Posted by: Corie Schweitzer at March 20, 2005 5:04 PM

I'm sorry I lost my temper there. But here is someone huffing and puffing and accusing us of making stuff up when a two second research would have been sufficient.

Posted by: Corie Schweitzer at March 20, 2005 5:05 PM

An unsigned, undated document suffices these days for an affidavit? What do you make of this?

Also unsigned and undated. Your unsigned, undated document though seems to indicate the testimony was taken sometime in September 2003. *My* unsigned, undated document seems to suggest is dated seven months later. Why is that? Where was the affidavit filed? Is it part of a court record? Seems to me a judge would like to see that. And maybe even talk to Ms. Law. If she exists.

Posted by: Chris at March 20, 2005 5:12 PM

That one seems to be signed AND dated! Only it has a third date!

And the notary. Shouldn't a notary be a neutral party? http://fight4terri.blogspot.com/2005/03/from-tom-broderson-pat-andersons.html

I'd like to see Ms. Law give her testimony in court. Not in front of a fellow witness in the case. That might give her "testimony" some more legitimacy.

Posted by: Chris at March 20, 2005 5:19 PM

It's not a stretch to think that this nurse gave multiple affidavits. They are consistent with each other.

Chris, if any of these people are telling the truth (not all, any), then she shouldn't be starved. While it is within the realm of possibility that all of them are lying, it's not probable. They have nothing to gain. But you are right, there should be an inquiry why the judge didn't like to see that.

Posted by: carson at March 20, 2005 6:31 PM

First of all, a certified nursing assistant is not a "nurse". They are direct caregivers (bathing, changing incontinent pads, repositioning) who have approximately six weeks of training. True "nurses", LPN's and RN's , have 2-4+ years of college level courses and clinical training. Just because a CNA gave Ms. Schiavo some jello on a few occaisions doesn't mean she has the capability to be fed orally. Most people who are brain injured to the extent of Terri lose the ability to swallow. If she were fed orally she would most likely aspirate her food or liquids (even if pureed or thickened liqueds) and develope pneumonia. This is a very sad case. I feel for the family, the parents, who are desperately holding onto their child. It is heartbreaking. But...realistically...Terri will never improve. Every reaction that you see, the crying, laughing, "tracking", are primal reflexes that are nothing but a response from what is left of her brain. What quality of life does this woman have? Her brain has atrophied and been replaced with cerebral spinal fluid-there is no chance for a recovery...or an "awakening". Terri's life ended many years ago and now it is time to let her body go as well.

Posted by: Julie at March 20, 2005 9:12 PM

I guess some of you posting here must have a medical qualification higher than Dr. William Hammersfahr, a noble-prize nominee and a neurologist, who had examined Terri for 10 hours in 2002 per the request of Florida Second District Court of Appeal.

He said, "There are many approaches that would help Terri Schiavo. I know, because I had the opportunity to personally examine her, her medical records, and her X-rays. It is time to help Terri, instead of just warehousing her. She would have benefited from treatment years ago, but it is not too late to start now." http://www.earnedmedia.org/dh0304.htm

It is unbelievable that the opinions of an expert of such high qualification is treated as inferior to the opinions of those who spent less than one hour or even zero hour on examining Terri.

Posted by: Miranda at March 20, 2005 10:05 PM

People, Chris and Julie have come from a site that is pro euthanasia.

Obviously Julie has not bothered her head to look and read a thing about this case.

Obviously both Chris and Julie want to be co-conspirators in a case of judicially approved homicide. That is quite shameful.

This issue is not about Terri's right to die, because she has not made such a statement. All we have is hearsay evidence that was brought up 8 years after her collapse. The evidence that has been provided is totally inconsistent because the story has been constantly changing.

This issue is not about Terri's right to life, because that is something that the Constitution of the United States is supposed to guarantee.

This is an issue about the right of a state or court approved guardian being given permission to end the life of a disabled but otherwise healthy woman. It is an issue about the abuse of guardianship laws that is endemic in Pinellas Park County.

Michael Schiavo has admitted on national television that he does not know what Terri wanted but this is what "we" want. Who is the we? George Felos, who has an agenda to introduce the right kill the elderly and the vulnerable at the whim of the guardian. George Greer who has an agenda to enrich himself at the expense of this helpless woman. Michael Schiavo who has the agenda of getting rid of the evidence that he attempted to strangle his wife.

These are the issues and the Schindlers deserve the opportunity to be heard and to look after their daughter. They deserve to have the opporunity to ensure that all necessary tests are carried out on Terri to determine whether or not she can be rehabilitated.

The reports of Dr. Cranford and Gambone in this case mean absolutely zip. Dr. Cranford also has an agenda to shut down the lives of the severely disabled.

So the people from Oregon where they are trying to introduce laws that will also kill the vulnerable should start thinking about what will happen to themselves if they were left to starve to death.

Posted by: Maggie at March 20, 2005 10:14 PM

I came from a pro-euthinasia site? No. I came from Google. I simply typed in limbaugh and schiavo and came here. Earlier today this was the fourth or fifth site listed. You can try it yourself! So let's not go making up stuff about who I am or what my angle is. For the record, I've never met Julie. And I'm not a co-conspirator. What I *am* is pro-marriage. Michael Schiavo has stated for the record it was his wife's wish not to be artificially sustained. If that's me in this situation, I would trust my wife to make the same decision for me. I wouldn't trust strangers. I certainly wouldn't trust Congress. We had a debate ten-years-ago about the role of Government in healthcare. We decided we didn't want them in it. We just had an election about the definition of marriage. It's one man, one woman. Right? Just like in the Bible. The Bible also tells us husbands and wives are one flesh. It also says husbands and wives are responsible for one another. The Bible actually calls for them to separate from their own mothers and fathers and become one.

But not in this case! Now the Government trumps marriage. The government trumps your own wishes. What a wonderful day.

Posted by: Chris at March 20, 2005 11:08 PM

Also, could you let me know where to find the transcript of Michael Schiavo's "this is what we want" statement? Google is having a tough time coming up with it.

I can tell you what he said on Nightline on March 15th, 2005:

[Host Chris] BURY: Michael, did Terri, your wife, leave any kind of written instructions about her wishes?

SCHIAVO: She didn't leave any written instructions. She has verbally expressed her wishes to me and other people.

BURY: She had verbally expressed them in what context exactly?

SCHIAVO: Through watching some TV program, a conversation that happened regarding her uncle that was very ill.

BURY: And how long ago was that?

SCHIAVO: Oh, we're talking — it's now been 15 years. We're talking a couple of year, three years before this happened to Terri.

BURY: So there's no kind of written record at all. It's basically your recollection and those of other family members.

SCHIAVO: Yes, it is.

You may read the complete transcript at:

October 27th, 2003. Larry King Live.

KING: All right. Let's put it this way. Why do you want the feeding tube removed? In other words, let's say the parents say they'll take care of her, right? Is that what they say?

SCHIAVO: Mm-hmm.

KING: Walk away.

SCHIAVO: Why should I, Larry? This is Terri's wish. This is Terri's choice.

KING: It's not written anywhere, right?

SCHIAVO: Yes, but it's been decided for six years of litigation that this was Terri's wish.

KING: No, but I mean, why...

SCHIAVO: Now, they keep saying that I'm the only one that came to the court with these comments that Terri made. There was two other people that testified also.

KING: That she did say that?

SCHIAVO: That she did say that.

KING: But why do you want it taken out? Why do you want the feeding tube removed?

SCHIAVO: This is Terri's wish. And I'm going to follow that wish, if it's the last thing I can do for Terri. I love Terri deeply. And I'm going to follow it up for Terri.

KING: How old was she when this happened?

SCHIAVO: 25.

KING: A 25-year-old said to you, if I die, if I'm in this kind of state, most 25-year-olds wouldn't think of something like that?

SCHIAVO: It was a comment from watching certain programs. She said, we were watching some programs, and she says, I don't want anything artificial like that. I don't want any tubes. Don't let me live like that. I don't want to be a burden to anybody. She's also made comments to other people about different stories.

KING: OK.

SCHIAVO: And that has been -- that has been tried over and over and over again. And 19 judges have come to the conclusion that that was Terri's wish.

Transcript: http://www.sweetliberty.org/bulletins/terri/lkl1.htm

Pretty much the same story told 17 months apart, no?

Posted by: Chris at March 20, 2005 11:27 PM

Hey! Look what I found! The infamous "it's what we wanted" transcript. http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0503/18/lkl.01.html

Would you like to read the "it's what we wanted" quote? Just for clarity, I'll even put in context.

KING: Have you had any contact with the family today? This is a sad day all the way around, Michael. We know of your dispute.

M. SCHIAVO: I've had no contact with them.

KING: No contact at all?

M. SCHIAVO: No.

KING: Do you understand how they feel?

M. SCHIAVO: Yes, I do. But this is not about them, it's about Terri. And I've also said that in court. We didn't know what Terri wanted, but this is what we want... (elipse in transcript)

So what we have here is Michael Schiavo speaking as though he's the parents. Stating what the parents have said. It's not about Terri's wishes. It's not about Michael and Terri's wishes as husband and wife. It's all about her parents.

Posted by: Chris at March 21, 2005 12:46 AM

How much will the Fed Judge get paid for ruling in favor of the Bush's Just wait it is "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"!!! The Gov't is getting into a PRIVATE PERSONAL SITUATION strictlly for political gain. Cone on people get with the program, what next in our private lives?

Posted by: bwilson at March 21, 2005 11:29 AM

My father was on a feeding tube for the last three years of his life. He aspirated food and was not able to eat normally. Without the feeding tube, he would have starved to death. But he was able to eat ice chips, and got them regularly. I gave them to him the night before he died.

Posted by: HMS at March 21, 2005 8:30 PM

Terri swallows almost 2 liters of water a day

ENT: The patient can clearly swallow, and is able to swallow approximately 2 liters of water per day (the daily amount of saliva generated). Water is one of the most difficult things for people to swallow. It is unlikely that she currently needs the feeding tube. She should be evaluated by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist, and have a new swallowing exam.

UNOQUOTE

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 1:48 PM

Police report filed by Terri's RN Carla Iyer in 1996

After Michael Schiavo visited, Carla checked Terri's blood glucose level and found it to be very low. Terri was shaking, pale, and showed symptoms of hypoglycemic shock!

Carla filed a police report in 1996 detailing the vial of insulin found in Terri's room! Carla filed and affidavit detailing her concerns that Terri might have been injected with insulin! An attorney advised her at the time in how to make the affidavit! At that time, the detail of the vial was left out of the affidavit, even though Carla mentioned it to everyone! Why was that detail left out of the first affidavit? Why would an attorney not make sure that detail was part of the first affidavit?

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 1:49 PM

How can someone get ahold of the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals? Please let us know if you have that info! Arguing is not doing anything for Terri!

Posted by: Amy at March 22, 2005 3:29 PM

Could someone please check the continue reading on this first post, it is not taking us to the correct page!! Please correct the link to

Nurse: Terri Can Eat Normally

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 3:31 PM

Amy, here's tel. no. for the 11th circuit court of appeals http://www.blogsforterri.com/archives/2005/03/the_pinellas_co.php#comments

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 3:35 PM

Terri needs to live, you can see response in her
eyes when her mother speakes to her. Given
the ambiguity concerning the tests and theropy
she needs she should be kept alive untill we know
she has had these test and theropy.

Dose her husband have a life ins. policy he would
like to collect at her death?

Posted by: Jean Perry at March 22, 2005 4:01 PM

I read somewhere that he does and the underwriters are his girl friend's insurance company.

Anyone with half a brain would allow her under the care of Dr. Hammesfahr at least for a few months to see if what he says is true.

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 4:12 PM

please go to this web site and read Dr. Carole Liebermans report or comments of the profile that she did on Michael Schiavo. Type in this web address:www.frerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1339926/posts the report comes right up. Please continue to explore the abuse issue, Michael has got to see her die in order to cover up what he did to her. It is all going to come out. Lord please save Terri, and defend her from the hands of her husband.

Posted by: caris at March 22, 2005 4:36 PM

please refer to this web address to read a revealing report and concept about Michael Schiavo:
freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1339926/posts

Posted by: caris at March 22, 2005 4:58 PM

I have been through a similar situation in the last year with both my parents. One who has been in a Alzheimer's facility for the last 2 years and another who suffered a fall and massive brain bleed which placed her in and out of a Coma. Both situations - caused my parents to not be able to communicate verbally. As their medical power of attorney, my wife - who is a RN and has managed and run many ICU units over the last 10 years - and I have provide the majority of their care prior to their passing! In numerous occasions, they were able to communicate with us many times in the same manner as what I have seen on the videos that are at the terrifight.org website. There is no question after viewing these, that not only is she NOT in a persistent vegetative state, but she is absolutley able to respond and communicate when communicated to! It is heart-wrenching when I watch her interact with others in these videos to think of what her husband is trying to do to her and that in a few more days she may no longer be with us! There is NO proof that Terri would want this except Michael's word - and if you look at the facts about Michael Schiavo's past - you have to consider the serious facts that he very well may not be a credible witness and that his motives may very well not be pure! If any one has any influence over this situation - PLEASE do not let this happen to Terry - there is too much evidence that supports this would be wrong, and in turn constitute murder - not protecting someone's rights! If anything we need to protect Terry's right to LIVE - when she can no longer protect herself!

Posted by: Doug at March 22, 2005 5:40 PM

I wish I could convince some of you that feel Terri's life is not worth living that you are so so wrong....My son is 20 years old, has severe brain damage since birth. To some, he is viewed as a burden. To us, he is our son, who is happy in his world, free of physical pain, and a beautiful child. How many of you can say that about yourselves. Just because Terri and my son are not able to express themselves does not mean that they are worthless. My son has affected many people with his tolerance and smile. We should all have such qualities!!! Let the family who loves her take care of her and leave them alone.!!!

Posted by: jasmin Paglia at March 22, 2005 8:34 PM

This is sad...that all of this information has been hurried over...covered over...in a rush to pull the plug. God have mercy on us all...may HIS mercy and GRACE still move in this SPACE.

Posted by: GLPERRY at March 22, 2005 9:50 PM

I really can't understand how this is happening to an innocent woman in America. Why is the husband so intent on killing his wife? Does he have insurance he will collect. I know I read online that he filed suit against the doctors and won a malpractice settlement of 300,000.00 for himself, claiming they misdiagnosed her. If they were that incompetent then, why weren't better medical professionals contacted to care for her. Is he just after money and ultimately insurance from her dying? It certainly seems so. If he has nothing to gain from this why doesn't he just sign over her rights to her parents who obviously want what is best for their daughter. Food and water is not artifical means. What I really don't understand is why people are going to be arrested for trying to give her water. How can we fight for freedoms overseas and not fight for freedoms in our own country? This woman is supposed to have as many rights as those in Iraq. Our military are giving their lives everyday for those people and yet one woman in America isn't even allowed water and it is ordered by her husband and granted by a judge. That is cruel and unjust.

Posted by: WTinNC at March 23, 2005 12:13 PM