« Updated - My sister was given a second chance at life, and Terri deserves that same chance! | Main | Bobby Schindler Sunday Update - Fry the phones Again! »

March 20, 2005

MORE on "Symbolic Stand for Terri"

Topics: Action Items

Regarding the post below about sending boxes of food and water to Woodside Hospice for symbolic support of Terri...

First, don't worry about it going to waste. Remember there are other patients there who could probably use what is sent, or we could maybe arrange for the food to be picked up later by a local shelter.

I just placed an order through NETGROCER. The scheduled delivery date is ON OR BEFORE WEDNESDAY. I wish it were sooner, but this is the first place I found that does grocery delivery there (they do it everywhere). Hopefully, by Wednesday she'll have feeding restored, anyway!

Shipping charges are $9.99, and in case you're wondering, I ordered a bunch of water, Jello, pudding, Ensure, and juice. Not that they're going to actually feed it to her (unfortunately), but it seems relevant at least!

Mailing address for the Hospice:

Woodside Hospice House
6770 102nd Avenue
Pinellas Park, FL 33782-2909
phone (727) 541-4199

(I sent it to Terri in c/o Woodside Hospice.)

[Cross posted at My VRWC.]

Posted by beth at March 20, 2005 4:03 AM

Articles Related to Action Items:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference MORE on "Symbolic Stand for Terri":

» fasting, food, prayers from Cao's Blog
Day 2 without food and water Today Terri is feeling worse than she did yesterday. She is very thirsty, and her mouth is much dryer. Her hunger pangs are still present, and they most likely hurt today. Her eyes are dryer than yesterday and so is her ... [Read More]

Tracked on March 20, 2005 7:15 AM

» Palm Sundy from NIF
Today's dose of NIF - daily News, Interesting & Funny ... pray for Terri! [Read More]

Tracked on March 20, 2005 3:21 PM

» Terri Polemics from University Blog
That entry was updated, with links to a blogger who describes herself as an "ardent liberal," and whose pro-Terri idea [Read More]

Tracked on March 29, 2005 4:37 AM

Comments

Oi vay, what that poor delivery man will be walking into!

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 20, 2005 4:29 AM

EEK! Are comments acting wonky on this post for you too, or is it just me?

Posted by: Beth at March 20, 2005 4:42 AM

Nevermind, I fixed it.

Suzanne--can you say "Christmas in March"? Heh. ;-)

Posted by: Beth at March 20, 2005 4:45 AM

FAST FOR TERRI... Jesus told us that there are some types of evil that can be driven out only with prayers AND fasting. I'm a mom with small children and lots of daily responsibilities on my shoulders. While I can't chain myself to a fence post outside Judge Greer's courtroom or the hospice, and refuse food and water to suffer in union with Terri and offer that suffering to God for her and other victims of the culture of death, I can fast for Terri by eating only half the portions I normally would until she is fed again her on earth or rejoices at the eternal Banquet. "Fast For Terri" is easy to remember, easy to spray onto the windows of my soccer van, paint on a T-shirt, etc. and almost anyone can do it (probably with some benefit for their own physical and spiritual health too :) Maybe someone who knows how to do this could make up buttons and send them to our elected representatives, their pastors and bishops in Florida, their neighbors? If readers of this blog and others decided to "Fast For Terri" and each person asked ten of their friends or neighbors to join them, we could really storm heaven in an easy to understand, spiritually efficacious, way to add to our prayers, sending food to the hospice, political pressure, etc? Just eat half of what you normally would eat until she is fed (here or in Heaven) and offer that fast for Terri's recovery, for the restoration of her food and water (and, please God, for Communion for Terri), and for compassion and healing for other victims like her.

Posted by: Lynda Rozell at March 20, 2005 7:17 AM

Hi, I´m Nathália Nery from Brazil. Brazilians are very worried about Terris´s situation. So there it goes our tip.

Some special children need specificlly care, they need help to do basic things including eating. They have brain problems like the Down´s Sindrom and not even that we have killed them just because they can´t take care of themselves.

They are humans and deserve live like anyone else. So why can´t we let Terri lives??? She´s like a special child that needs parent´s care.

Let her die it´s aproove the eutanasia. It`s a crime against life. So if we don´t denay nutrients to that children we don´t must denay it to
Terri too!

Thus we hope that help arrives in time for Terri and for her family.

Sincerely,

Nathália Nery

Rio de janeiro, 20th march, 2005
Brazil

Posted by: Nathália at March 20, 2005 8:28 AM

I sent mine! I didn't realize how good it would feel to do so.

Posted by: Virginia at March 20, 2005 8:57 AM

I just sent my order too!
Fabulous!
Does anyone know what kind of response this is getting?
I mean should we call the local TV stations so they can cover it?
I recal the same online phenomena occurred during The Scott Peterson Trisl Thousands of people sent flowers......they called the news media to givve it coverage..
I do think this should get coverage....
Anyone?

Posted by: JoMarley at March 20, 2005 9:02 AM

I'll never forget the time when my great-grandmother was in a nursing home and was severely neglected. My grandmother (her daughter) was very upset because she would find my great-gramdmother out of her bed and in a chair with hardly any clothes on. She was about to go into full blown pneumonia. My mother tried to plead with the nursing home to give her the care she deserved. All they would do was give off an attitude ("oh, she's 85 years old, she doesn't have long too live anyway"). So my grandmother pulled her out of the nursing home and cared for her at home where she lived for the next eight years eating home cooked meals until her death in 1991 at 98 years old.

If she continued to receive care from the state, she would have been neglected to the point that she would have been murdered by omission.

I never trusted the system in Florida because I have elderly friends who live there and they often complain about the quality of care. The nurses are good, but the doctors come across as unethical and uncaring. It's too bad knowing that Terri is Catholic and is not being cared for in a Catholic hospital which understands the difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary care. Interestingly, Terri would never be placed in a Catholic hospital for terminally ill patients because she is not dying and so would be placed in a hospital for the disabled unless a family member is willing to provide homecare. So why does Michael continue to treat his wife as if she is terminally ill and refuses the care she deserves? It's not that Terri is in pain and is dying, its that Michael has adopted the Nazi philosophy of "life unworthy of life" and "useless eaters.

May all of us during this Holy Week reflect upon the Passion of Christ and understand that suffering has redemptive value that it should not be looked at as a terrible stigma, but one that we can make sense of if we only understand the sufferings of Christ and His holy martyrs in a salvific sense.

Posted by: Kev at March 20, 2005 9:05 AM

I am also goint to send a houseplant.
It will have a note that says

THIS is a Houseplant.
Terri is not !

Anyone interested?

Maybe Easter Flowers

Posted by: JoMarley at March 20, 2005 9:05 AM

Correction:

The quote should say "90" years old.

Posted by: Kev at March 20, 2005 9:08 AM

Oh this is going incredibly well. I have sent items from my house and netgrocer.

Regarding the media...I think now that this is getting such wonderful response, we should. I had sent emails to Fox and MSNBC but it was not really "happening" like it is now. We probably should decide who we want to hit and then have it come from several of us.

JoMarley, I can't tell you how much I love the houseplant idea!! Unfortunately, Michael has forbidden Terri to receive plants, flowers, etc. I guess Terri expressed to him at one point her desire to NEVER have any plants or flowers near her.

Posted by: Lesbiencestmoi at March 20, 2005 11:31 AM

In the meantime, Terri is still being starved, TORTURED.

Why isn't Congress/Jeb protecting Terri, and what can we do?

I am asking this question in the hopes that we can stir Terri's supporters to take some additional action that will result in PROTECTING Terri NOW.

All of this last minute flurry at the US Capitol is commendable, but Terri is STILL STARVING TO DEATH, RIGHT NOW.

I see 2 things:

1. The Congress must enforce its subpoena and move to protect Terri right now until the hearings are held. That means US Marshals with medical teams need to place Terri under their care IMMEDIATELY. We should be flooding Congress and esp. Sen. Enzi with this demand.

2. Jeb Bush MUST invoke the "Emergency Protective Services Intervention" section of Florida statutes Chapter 415.1051(2). Note the term "Emergency".

In my mind, legislative efforts are all well and good, but they take time and may still fail yet. Terri needs protection NOW if she is going to be called before Congress to testify. There is no telling what the "caregivers" may do to her between now and the hearings to impair her testimony and destroy evidence.

This is where I think our IMMEDIATE efforts and action are needed.

Contact Jeb Bush and Congress. DEMAND THEY TAKE TERRI INTO PROTECTIVE CUSTODY NOW.

Bryan

Posted by: Bryan at March 20, 2005 12:02 PM

Are there 1000 people who are willing to gather together, announce their intentions to walk past police, unarmed,and peaceful, to take Terri into protective custody, on video. Even with the risk of being arrested or resisted. They can't arrest 1000 who are resolute and if they did???How could they justify injuring a person whose goal is to SAVE a life? Perhaps doctors and caregivers could join. I am willing. In fact I will go out front. Remember Normandy.

Posted by: Jack at March 20, 2005 12:41 PM

Jack,
are you sierious!!!!! Thats great! Its just what we need. I would do it too but I live in CA. WAY TO GO! :):) fry those phones!

Posted by: Katie at March 20, 2005 12:50 PM

I throw the thought out for consideration. I don't know how to organize, but am willing to go. I could be there tomorrow by plane.

Posted by: Jack at March 20, 2005 12:59 PM

If we could care for Terri long enough to get her off the effects of pain killers, then bring her out for the world to see, so they could see her PVS. If Barbara Weller's reports were true, I imagine Terri could tell the world she wants to live. Check Mate! Done Deal, bring out the handcuffs for Greer, Felos, and Schiavo.

Posted by: Jack at March 20, 2005 1:05 PM

I was there on Friday. Not trying to throw stones by any means, but IMHO, things were not very well organized/coordinated by the various groups represented there.

I know that "they" are traveling by bus this afternoon to Tallahassee to protest. I am assuming this would include: Troy Newman, Pat Mahoney, Randall Terry, Bo Gritz (if he's out of jail, bless him!), Brandi Swindell, maybe Rob Schenck.

They plan to be back on Tuesday. Here's a post from operation Save America:

"Plan to meet us in Clearwater, Florida on Tuesday, March 22, 2005. Pastor Sam Green and Pastor Ed Martin have been preparing the way for you. For help with your travel plans, call Pastor Ed at 352-361-9009."

Bryan