« Patricia Heaton Pleads for Terri Schiavo | Main | On 'I Have Personal Knowledge Of This Case' »

March 19, 2005

Judge Greer Leaves Church After Criticism

Lifenews - The judge in the Terri Schaivo case who reissued an order Friday that prompted Terri's feeding tube to be removed for a third time has withdrawn his membership in a local Baptist Church.

William Rice, the pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Clearwater, Florida, confirmed the news to the Baptist Press news agency on Friday.

Rice said he received a letter from Greer Thursday confirming he has rescinded his long-standing membership after the church. The Greer letter came days after Rice made public comments in news reports disagreeing with Greer's decisions related to Terri.

Irrevocable Choice has more information and links related to this issue and others involving Judge Greer.

Posted by tim at March 19, 2005 7:59 PM

Comments

Ok.
So I live in Australia, and we pretty much have heard nothing about this.

This has to be one of the most upsetting stories that I have heard in a very very long time.

I am going to help make Australia aware.

marsie

Posted by: marsie at March 19, 2005 8:11 PM

Protect the Innocent!

It is evident to me that Terri Schiavo is a feeling, breathing being. What keeps the body alive is the spirit. She cannot be entirely brain dead, which seems a matter of interpretation between those in the medial community. What does a vegetative state have to do with it? (Try reading The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins published by Harper & Row. Therein, research done at Yale substantiates that plants exhibit feelings.)

Some humans think it justifiable to remove a feeding tube from another human because their intelligence level is not up to what it once was. Why force anyone to die a slow death? If you must do this, why not do it quickly and humanely, as you would a precious pet. Vet’s efforts to alleviate suffering seem more humane.

Let us examine our society and medical technology more closely. Were it not for medical advances on which diabetics, for example, depend, many would die. A vast number of Americans are kept alive by so-called artificial means. I am one of them. Were it not for my medication I would die an unpleasant death.

Most important to Terri's husband is the new love of his life. Shame on him. Terri did not leave a Living Will, and no on can presume to know her exact level of consciousness. She breathes. She opens her eyes. Maybe she smiles. How would you or I feel in her position? I wouldn't want to be there, but I made my husband promise he would never pull the plug on me under similar circumstances.

Perhaps Terri Schiavo cannot recover, but there are many alive today who are debilitated in some way, or those who rely on various medical procedures and/or chemicals to stay alive.

Should we begin starving to death those who are not able to contribute fully to society, such as the mentally retarded? Hitler thought so.

Xyra

Posted by: Xyra Harper-Cann at March 19, 2005 8:25 PM

MICHAEL SCHIAVO--GEORGE FELOS--JUDGE GREER =AXIS OF EVIL

Posted by: Mary Rose at March 19, 2005 9:03 PM

I find it interesting how michael keeps saying this is a family matter. IF? itF is a family matter then why didn't her Mother & Father have a say so? Why did he hire a big mouth euthanasia attorney? Why would he have any say so? He is her husband only on paper. He has a new common law family. He needs to be excused from any guardianship authority over Terri ASAP!
Judge Greer is a horses rear! If terri did not have a living will, YOU CAN NOT KILL! You just don't kill a handicapped, incapacitated individual whose only LIFE SUPPORT IT A FEEDING TUBE!

Posted by: Linda at March 20, 2005 10:12 AM

If I were a dog, I would complain to the SPCA to save me. Where is the SPCA where she needs you? Isn't Terri a human animal too? Can the SPCA allow any animal, even a dog to be STARVED TO DEATH?

Posted by: Bobpaglee at March 20, 2005 2:20 PM