« The Killing Of Terri Schiavo: "The longest public execution in American history" (Updated) | Main | Let's Not Delude Ourselves About the Consequences of Killing Terri Schiavo »

March 29, 2005

Jackson Prays With Terri Schiavo's Parents (Updated with Senator Call List)

Another liberal joins with conservatives to provide a voice for the voiceless!

"I feel so passionate about this injustice being done, how unnecessary it is to deny her a feeding tube, water, not even ice to be used for her parched lips," said Jackson, who has run for president as a Democrat. "This is a moral issue and it transcends politics and family disputes."

- MyWayNews

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - The parents of Terri Schiavo met and prayed Tuesday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who called her impending death "an injustice."

Joining the conservatives who have rallied to the parents' cause, the liberal Jackson said he would call state senators who opposed legislation that would have reinserted Schiavo's feeding tube and ask them to reconsider.

Terri Schiavo was in her 12th day without food and water. Her husband and guardian, Michael Schiavo, has insisted that he was carrying out her wishes by having her feeding tube pulled. His lawyer said Monday that an autopsy was planned to show the extent of Terri Schiavo's brain damage.

Jackson's arrival Tuesday was greeted by some applause and cries of "This is about civil rights."

Continue reading ...

Sen. Lisa Carlton: 850-487-5081
Sen. Paula Dockery: 850-487-5040
Sen. Dennis Jones: 850-487-5065
Sen. Jim King: 850-487-5030
Sen. Evelyn J. Lynn: 850-487-5033
Sen. Burt L. Saunders: 850-487-5124

I know we're all stressed out, but remember to be nice! More flies are caught with honey than vinegar. :-)

Posted by richard at March 29, 2005 2:59 PM

Comments

MSNBC Poll as of 03/29/05 3:00p EST:

Do you believe you have all the facts on Terri Schiavo's condition? * 48053 responses

38% Yes
62% No

Let's keeping doing all we can to help educate this 62%.

Posted by: Anna_Nordin at March 29, 2005 3:11 PM

Hannity is reporting that Jackson might have secured the couple of votes needed in the Florida Legislator to save Terri!!!!!

Please God, say it is so!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 29, 2005 3:17 PM

You don't have that far to go (as far as educating the public) if you keep this poll in mind, too:

47% of voters rated the job being done by state courts and judges in their state as poor.

72% of voters believe judges have a great deal of power over our daily lives and that we have the right to criticize them and hold judges accountable.

76% of voters believe that contributions made to judges influence judicial decisions.

90% of voters are concerned about judges being selected for reasons other than their qualifications.

**Poll by National Center for State Courts**

Posted by: democrat at March 29, 2005 3:20 PM

Legislature, Legislature!

...sheesh!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 29, 2005 3:20 PM

I called all of them was polite and the offices were polite to me :)

Posted by: LErin at March 29, 2005 3:27 PM

typekey - She's got more brains than you! AND at least she's got a soul!

I'm sorry. I know, I know... don't feed the trolls. I jest couldn't help myself folks.

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 29, 2005 3:33 PM

hi just got off the phone with lisa carlton office
she said they are (senate) in session tom morning at 9:00 - 11:00 am
but she also said that the house would have to approve the exact same wording if the senate vote changed and she did not have a calander in front of her for house schedule

does anyone still have the list of senate members who voted no

Keep Praying

Posted by: keeka at March 29, 2005 3:38 PM

I just spent 15 minutes calling all the sentators on the Senator Call List (from Mary in LA) and I got EVERY ONE OF THEM ... (Staffers of course, or answering machines) except 2 !!!

Apparently the call volume is not enough to clog their lines.... CALL NOW!!!

Dave

Posted by: Dave_MN at March 29, 2005 3:43 PM

Senator Webster just talked with Sean Hannity, it sounds like a 10% chance (If I heard it right).

Posted by: LErin at March 29, 2005 3:45 PM

Prolly more people can call after
work.I am glad the offices I called
my not have been informed.I did notice,
The vote that lost last time was :
21-18.There are not that many names
on this call list,am I missing
something important here ?
Terri is Alive

Posted by: lynaqua at March 29, 2005 3:57 PM

Typekey sucks: yes, you are a troll.

Her soul is still in her body until she passes on. Please go somewhere else if you wish to act in such a trollish behavior.

Posted by: Sirena at March 29, 2005 4:06 PM

Troll: typekey

Posted by: Sirena at March 29, 2005 4:25 PM

For non-trolls: The fact is that the more we find out about brain function, the more we find out how much we don't know. There are recorded instances of people functioning at normal or near-normal levels with only half a brain, or nearly no brain at all.

The fact is, also, that Terri is brain-damaged, not brain-dead. Brain-dead people cannot breathe and need ventilators; Terri breathes on her own. Brain-dead people drool; Terri can swallow her own saliva.

No one here is worried about the state of Terri's soul. Her soul is surely safe. We are fighting this fight to keep Terri alive for many reasons: because we believe that Terri has not been given a fair chance at therapy, because we believe that all life has worth, and because her judicially-sanctioned killing is almost certain to lead to the killing of any disabled or damaged person whom somebody finds "inconvenient".

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 29, 2005 4:28 PM

I got through to all the Senators' offices except for Larcenia Bullard's.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 29, 2005 4:40 PM

Federal Complaint Filed with DOJ in Schiavo Case Alleging ADA Violations

© The Empire Journal

A New York State special education teacher has filed a detailed eight-page complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice on behalf of Terri Schindler-Schiavo, alleging numerous violations of the Americans with Disabilities.

An immediate stay of execution has been requested until the matter can be investigated..

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(202)514-5527

Jeanine Worden
(202) 514-5527

Special Legal Counsel

Philip L. Breen
(202) 616-7526

Alberto Gonzalez, US AG, would also be a contact for this.
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov

Posted by: Dave_MN at March 29, 2005 4:43 PM

Dr. N,

Did you get the material from Juleni apropos of your question about greer yesterday?

Did anyone get my comment on a previous site about starting a dig for the truth and bury the lies section?

Did Juleni post her info on here? It's a mammouth find.

Any body out there!!!!

Posted by: mary et. al. at March 29, 2005 4:56 PM

We are still in this, lets call, e-mails and fax! call call call, we are fighting for you Terri Hold on,

Posted by: delphinius at March 29, 2005 5:25 PM

Mary et al, I must have missed something. What kind of help do you need? My husband runs a Web hosting company, if that will help.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 29, 2005 5:38 PM

Thank you, Jesse. You have just proven to the Liberal Left that this is not a "Religious Right" issue.

Now one of the strongest voices in the Democratic Party has spoken to support Terri. At least Jesse has the balls that the congress/senate lack. He has spoken for TRUTH; they seem to be more interested in votes.

Someone compared the bush brothers to Pontius Pilate; sorry, I did all I can, my hands are tied. Go ahead and execute. Pilate required the inscription, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." What will they write for Terri, "Terri Shiavo, disabled--not worthy of life"?

Posted by: Tress at March 29, 2005 5:42 PM

I spoke to Sen. Bullard's aide and she argued that the vote had already been taken and they won't vote on that again. I don't know if she meant to be rude but she was. (She also said,"Oh no" when I mentioned Terri's name.)

Sen. Lynn's aide told me that a vote will be taken by the senate tomorrow at 1 p.m.

I pray that this effort isn't too late for Terri.

Posted by: zerb at March 29, 2005 5:43 PM