« Terri Schiavo: Culture of Death Wins in 21st Century's Scopes Trial | Main | Admin Note: We are checking on the comments now - Updated »

March 29, 2005

Jackson: More Senators Back Bid to Save Terri - We May Have Enough Votes!

- Breaking News from NewsMax
Rev. Jesse Jackson said Tuesday afternoon that he has persuaded two Florida state senators to change their votes on a bill to save Terri Schiavo, leaving the measure just one vote shy of the majority necessary for passage.

"Two of them have committed to meeting with Gov. Jeb Bush. They say that they're flexible if they can find acceptable emergency language," Jackson told ABC Radio host Sean Hannity.

Targeting members of the state senate's black caucus in a bid to save Schiavo, Jackson explained: "While we didn't have the specific language today, if I could just get them to shift their will to do whatever [we can] within the law to help her live, that would be a victory."

"They've made that commitment," the civil rights leader added. "I hope it turns into something concrete, signed by morningtime."

Asked if he thought he'd convert the additional vote that would guarantee passage, Jackson said: "If we get two - with the help of Gov. Jeb Bush, we can get three. . . If I was able to persuade two - if he could persuade one, we can change that vote."

The top Democrat said he had contacted the governor's office and was awaiting a return call, saying, "I hope that he will call me and I hope to share with him my position."

Jackson said he would return to Florida tomorrow if he determines it is "the best, most effective way" to save Schiavo.

"I will fly to Tallahassee or Washington or anyplace," he said.

Posted by richard at March 29, 2005 5:48 PM

Comments

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but: You go, Rev. Jackson!!! My hat is off to him.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 29, 2005 6:34 PM

That's really great...either I don't understand the laws of Florida, or two votes SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO CHANGE THE OUTCOME!!!!!

If they lost 21-18, and you add two votes to the losing column (this also subtracts two from the previously winning side)...you now get a 20-19 vote!

If Jesse pulls this off, I'll storm Heaven begging God for mercy on Rev. Jackson for his Pro-Abortion position, and for a full conversion. I have to admit I had written him off, a major mistake on my part.

Posted by: VicarDave at March 29, 2005 6:34 PM

Okay so lets keep calling.-Oh, and a side note, this is a miracle-anyone who thinks God does not exist-this is a miracle. The bigger one will be when the feeding tube is restored but this is good for now. One thing though, I cannot find this (about the senators) on any of the major news stations. Why?

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 29, 2005 6:35 PM

I meant to say 20-19 in favor of the good guys in my post above!! If Jesse really has changed the mind of two senators, THAT IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED!

Posted by: VicarDave at March 29, 2005 6:37 PM

Wait though, I need someone to tell me before I get too excited, having enough votes is one thing-what has to happen to get the vote? I'd like to think someone could just say "hey, I would like to have a vote" but hmm, that would be sooooo easy.

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 29, 2005 6:47 PM

Well - this is certainly interesting -
FROM A LOCAL PHILADELPHIA TV STATION

There is a new twist in the Terri Schiavo case. Police are looking into threats allegedly made against one of her relatives who lives in Philadelphia.

Investigators told NBC 10 these threats were made allegedly against Terri Schiavo's sister-in-law, who they didn't identify by name.

She lives in Northeast Philadelphia with her husband, who is Michael Schavio's brother.

Police said the incident happened Monday morning, police said, as Mrs. Schavio was sipping her morning cup of coffee in her kitchen and noticed a car circling her block.

She then walked to her car to go to work.

The car driven by an unidentified man stopped and the driver threatened her life, police said.

"He called Mrs. Schavio a murderer," said Sgt. Andy Smith. "And she responded very nicely to him (saying) 'you don't even know the family.'" And that's when he said, 'well if Terri dies, I'm going to come back and shoot you and your family.'"

Philadelphia police said the suspect is in his 30s and that he is driving a beat-up older white sedan.

Posted by: Blogging Beth at March 29, 2005 6:47 PM

That is unfortunate, but if Michael Schiavo had *ANY* compassion whatsoever, he'd spare Terri's life just to ensure the safety of his brother and his family.

He had to know coming into this that the lunatic fringe which exists in any cross section of people would come out and try to get revenge. I'm sure he has gotten tons of death threats. Just from that perspective alone, I don't understand why it is worth it to him. I can't imagine living in fear all the time.

Posted by: VicarDave at March 29, 2005 6:57 PM

While I'm sure this is possible, people also like to make things up...

I'm sure we have some people who pretend to be legimate Terri supporters who post here who actually aren't, and are just trying to turn our eyes away from the task at hand... trying to save Terri.

Posted by: Sirena at March 29, 2005 7:03 PM

I meant "legitimate". Typo...sorry.

Posted by: Sirena at March 29, 2005 7:04 PM

Sirena,

True...and if Terri's feeding tube isn't reinserted right away, you'll know that either:

1) The story is made up, OR
2) Michael has absolutely no conscience whatsoever.

I already believe #2 is true, anyway, though...maybe they are both true!

Posted by: VicarDave at March 29, 2005 7:07 PM

I still have not heard anything-I mean anything on TV about this.(the vote-not the threat) I want to know why it is not breaking news and what we can do to make it so

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 29, 2005 7:08 PM

I believe #2 as well.

Posted by: Sirena at March 29, 2005 7:08 PM

GO JESSE JACKSON GO!! I thought for sure he would turn it into some kind of circus or something but not in such a manner! Keep on calling guys and girls! We can still save her!

Posted by: delphinius at March 29, 2005 7:14 PM

Does anyone know when they are voting? Im over here on the west coast and at work so I havent heard when they are to vote and when we will know anything..

Posted by: delphinius at March 29, 2005 7:19 PM

I tried to trackback this post and it kept giving me an error message. Anyway, I've posted the Jackson bit on my blog in its entirety. I never, ever thought I'd say these next words--go, Jesse!

Also, I had posted a question regarding Terri's heart attack, but I posted it as a comment. I think I have a really good point to make--how can a woman who had a massive heart attack at 27 live for over 11 days without food/water/medical care when she is 41? I still maintain there was no heart attack, and Terri's fight for life would almost seem to support that. Any comments, thoughts?

Posted by: Salena at March 29, 2005 7:20 PM

Actually I'm glad it's not all over the main stream media yet. I kind of hope it remains that way. Remember Jeb's press conference stating what he would do and greer stopping it?

If Jesse Jackson wanted this to be big press, he has the ability to make it big press.

I'm sure felos and greer are aware of this BUT just the same, I say let Jesse and the gov. quietly work this out.

Posted by: LifeisPrecious at March 29, 2005 7:21 PM

O.K. LifeisPrecious you are probably right, i am so anxious and excited and hopefull all at the same time,,,,

Posted by: delphinius at March 29, 2005 7:25 PM

Terri has proven herself a amazing woman, and her family will forever have my prayers and respect. God Bless all of you for fighting hard for Terri!

Posted by: delphinius at March 29, 2005 7:29 PM

Should we contact Jesse to encourage him?

Posted by: sujata at March 29, 2005 7:31 PM

From what was explained on the Sean Hannity show, if a representative voted AGAINST the bill, they can reopen the debate/vote. Only a representative that voted against it can reopen the discussion and vote.

There was also a guest - Webster I think, who said he thought this had only a 10% chance of working. But at least it is a chance.

Posted by: LifeisPrecious at March 29, 2005 7:32 PM

Well, I'm hoping it's not a day late and a dollar short. She's suffered for so long now...I just can't believe someone can hold on as long as she has. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I've bordered on despair for so long now....

One thing I do know. Terri has brought so many people together. Sherri said it well on her blog. I hope that the people who used to be at crossed purposes (liberal versus conservative, republican versus democrat...) will continue to see the ways that they are similar instead of focusing on their differences.

Posted by: Ceci at March 29, 2005 7:39 PM

This is an object lesson for us all: people are always more varied and multifaceted than we ordinarily realize. They're full of surprises.

Also, if you know anyone who's getting too extreme about this, remind them that hate dissolves only in the face of love. We have to make fine distinctions. Threatening Michael Schiavo's relatives -- in fact, threatening anyone -- is absolutely wrong.

Posted by: ahem at March 29, 2005 7:41 PM

Okay so have the two that voted against it and jesse persuaded to vote for it said they would bring it up for a vote? The only reason I want the media to get a hold of it is so people do not give up. I was ready to give up on Easter, then Monday Bobby came out and said he was ready to keep fighting because Terri was still fighting-they had a lot of news coverage on that-

Posted by: alwayschooselife at March 29, 2005 7:41 PM

I have also not been the biggest fan of Jesse Jackson---and it really is amazing how Terri has brought so many people together from many different groups.

I pray Jesse Jackson is successful and this beautiful woman is allowed to live and bring joy to those around her.

Posted by: Rachel Ann at March 30, 2005 1:07 AM

I just called Senator Webster's office. I was told no one from the side that voted no originally made a motion as of yet to bring the bill up for a revote. I believe the Senate will not be in session anymore today according to the schedule I could find. My guess is this is over for the day. I wish I was sharing better news.

Posted by: LErin at March 30, 2005 12:33 PM

What do we do to get in touch with Rev. Jackson to show our support?

Posted by: Outraged at March 30, 2005 3:24 PM

The Carter Center has been quiet. Why? They support "human rights". Jimmy Carter is a Christian! Where is his voice? Why is he silent?

I've tried to email them, but not even the courtesy of a response. "A voice crying in the wilderness" ???

Even Jesse Jackson has taken a stand!

Please email them and have them weigh in as friend or foe.

carterweb@emory.edu

Posted by: Robert W. Smith MD at March 30, 2005 8:04 PM

The Schiavo issue is not about Right to Life, but Right to Kill, in which case we are all potentially available for someone's deadly purposes. It is not a contest between the parents and the husband, but between the Citizens giving "the consent of the governed" versus the Unaccountable, Arrogant Judiciary at all levels. Terri may die but these issues will go on for decades.

Posted by: headguerilla at March 31, 2005 8:33 AM