« Florida Legislature - ACTION ITEM Part 2 | Main | URGENT REQUEST FOR ACTION - Terri Schiavo is now over 91 hours without food and water. »

March 22, 2005

Husband Recovers after being Diagnosed as PVS

Topics: Testimonials

A reader responds to this post about a woman who was PVS but recovered:

My husband was in EXACTLY the same situation after suffering cardiac arrest while in the hospital and suffered anoxic encephalopathy, in fact, 3 separate times. First, they gave him 2 hours to live and told me to call our priest.

He was in a coma and was much worse off than Teri - he had it ALL, ventilator, feeding tube, catheter, then trach. He couldn't breathe off the ventilator for more than 5 minutes at a time. When you would see him sitting up in his chair, he LOOKED so much worse off than her - he drooled, his tongue hung out, his head lolled to the side-he looked totally "not there" - you would never look at him & think there was a chance that he would be okay.

The doctors said if he lived, he would likely be a "vegetable", the social worker called me into a meeting and told me to start looking at nursing homes. His family fought me tooth and nail to pull him off of the ventilator, he was also on a feeding tube- which I refused to do. The neurologists were so convinced & insistent that my husband was severely brain damaged from his anoxic episodes, they insisted on testing him in front of me.

They would keep saying "honey, I know you want to believe he's responding, but he's not, he is in a persistent vegetative state."

They also did EEGs which, at the time, showed only moderate brain waves - that's when they told me that if he survived, he would very likely be a "vegetable". (I hate that description). Once he started to respond, when he showed in front of that neurologist that he knew I was his wife & he knew my name, then they did an MRI - why they waited until then to do it, I don't know - and then they told me "well, it looks likely maybe we overestimated-he is going to have some brain damage, but not quite as severe as we initially thought.

That was 9 years ago & if you didn't know, you would never know anything happened to him. He lost a tiny bit of feeling in his left hand and a slight loss of peripheral vision in his left eye. He is mentally exactly like he was when he was admitted and he has had 9 very happy, very active, fulfilled, loving years. Just imagine if I had pulled him off life support when his family demanded it.

Just from the little I've seen in the videos and things I've heard, just my own opinion, I think that woman is FAR from in PVS. She needs a lot of very, very intensive therapy & I truly believe she could speak and eat & I do believe that right now, she is totally aware of her surroundings and the people around her. I have heard "doctor" Cranford's excuse that her tracking the balloon and opening her eyes is only minutes out of hours upon hours of testing-I don't care if it was 30 seconds out of a month of testing-it proved that she is not PVS and is aware and can be helped.

Source: ProLifeBlogs

Posted by tim at March 22, 2005 3:44 AM

Articles Related to Testimonials:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Husband Recovers after being Diagnosed as PVS:

» Full Recovery from Persistent Vegegative State from Different River
Here is yet another example of someone who was diagnosed as a "vegetable" but recovered -- in this case, completely -- to resume a productive live. I'm posting an excerpt, but if you have a few minutes read the whole thing. My husband was in E... [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2005 9:25 AM

Comments

I was shocked to hear Mr. Bill O'Reilly said in his Foxnews program yesterday that medical doctors should make the decision in Terri's case, not judges and not politicians; and in this case overwhelming medical evidence suggested that Terri could not recover. He then quoted the court record in 2004 to support his opinion.

Does anyone have a precise summary of what kinds of medical evaluation that the court doctors did and what kinds of medical evaluation that medical doctors should have done in this case? Please send a copy to him ... It is also obvious that he has no idea how corrupted the legal process has been in this case. This is unbelievable.

Posted by: Miranda at March 22, 2005 4:26 AM

There is information to suggest that the court appointed doctors spent very little time with Terri. They have not conducted the proper tests, especially the MRI. The CT scan is useless in determining the state of her brain.

I suggest you do a bit of digging to seek the truth about this most shocking case.

The real problem here is that Michael Schiavo went to George Felos with the sole intention of finding a way to finish off his wife. Felos concocted the story about the hearsay evidence that Terri allegedly said that she did not want to be attached to life support.

The fact of the matter is that Unjustice George Greer should not have been hearing this case and making a determination.

There is corruption involved and somebody needs to investigate the truth.

Posted by: Maggie at March 22, 2005 4:34 AM

Maggie, I do know the details of this case and have done a lot of research on it. What I want is a copy of precise summary that is handy. I do not have time to compose a detail one. I have already set aside my work for several days to follow this case. I have to catch up.

Posted by: Miranda at March 22, 2005 4:51 AM

Before I come to my question, I'd like to point out that I'm not asking to incite people or start a flamewar but because I personally feel it's a valid question.

I read both stories and am extremely pleased that both did indeed recover. However, unless I missed it, I can't seem to find any mention of how long either two were in their respective PVS or comatose state.
It comes across to me (yes, that's an potentially unfounded opinion, hence my question for more information) that both weren't actually 'gone' for that long an amount of time which makes me at this point wonder whether either testimonial is actually comparable to Terri's situation.

Again, if you feel I'm trying to stomp down good news, I'm not. If you feel I'm somehow screaming "kill Terri already" with my question, I'm not.
I read it, I felt happy for those concerned that they got their loved one back, but am left unsure how much or how little it applies.

Posted by: Vanessa at March 22, 2005 5:12 AM

'I thought that he was fair and balanced and would carefully examine "evidence" beyond face value. I am now speechless.'

I'll try and tread lightly and play devil's advocate, but what makes you so sure he hasn't?
I can't speak for him, but I can speak for myself. Focusing on one sole issue: I've looked at the videos and I personally don't think it shows the signs of a cognitant, aware human being.
I don't feel like any prejudgement or personal belief I may hold interfered with what I thought as I watched the video. I could go into how it made me feel but that would only be viewed as an attack so I'll leave it be.

However, that does not mean I will disrepect anyone else who feels differently than I do. As long as they can honestly say that they weren't biased and had an open mind before coming to a conclusion their opinion is valid.

If you believe in something, and you are willing to go out of your way to show support for the cause that you believe in, then to me that's a very admirable trait.
But noone's belief should be so closeminded that it gets to the point where anyone who disagrees gets demonized or insulted or has their sanity questioned.

Posted by: Vanessa at March 22, 2005 5:35 AM

I always enjoy reading another story of life after bring told there was no hope of survival! More stories could be read if what I believe is a silent epidemic of pulling feeding tubes behind closed doors on individuals having a brain injury. Many neuroligist deal with the brain in a clinical manner. They know damage to the brain will not result in a full recovery but what they don't know is to what extent.

I've been caring for my severely brain damaged husband for over 15 years at home. alone. I can't even begin to tell you all the battles I've had to deal with. Matt is very aware and content. He lacks initiation and sometimes needs to be cued since his processing skills are impaired. But I have plenty of photos to record all we have enjoyed together. I always say I have the best husband in the world because I always know where he is at, we never argue and we always say "I Love You" every nite! I've been fortunat since we just moved to Florida about a year and a half ago to meet two Neuroligists that actually work with "The Brain Injury Rehabilitation Center" I also meet Dr. Hammesfarh. He is a remarkable doctor that I hope to someday get Matt to.

Posted by: Caryn at March 22, 2005 6:34 AM

Miranda, Here's a report by a doctor who tested Terri, he is a Nobel nominee http://libertytothecaptives.net/hammesfahr_dr._report.html

Sujata

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 6:34 AM

Vaness, have you read the Sarah Scantlin story?

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 6:42 AM

Sujata, thanks! A couple of days ago, I sent the one that you quoted to all Foxnews staff in one of my emails, although that report does not have Dr. Hammesfahr's signature. An hour ago, I sent the following one below to Mr. O'Reilly:

Posted by: Miranda at March 22, 2005 6:46 AM

He's a "nobel nominee" because he wrote his Congressmen, who nominated him: he's a classic self-promoter with a trumped up CV. Regardless, Hammesfahr's testimony was repeatedly shown not to be credible in court, and if you read his actual arguments, it's easy to see why: his standard for "responsiveness" is so low that a random number generator could be considered responsive to his commands.

Posted by: plunge at March 22, 2005 2:06 PM

I HAVE A SISTER WHO SUFFERED THE SAME FATE AS TERRI WE ARE FIGHTING A BATTEL WITH HER HUSBAN FOR HER TO GO TO REHAB. HE IS DENIGHING HER THE REHAB SHE NEEDS. WE HAD TO FIGHT HIM TO KEEP HIM FROM PULLING THE PLUG WHEN SHE WAS ON A REASPERATOR. ONLY GOD HAS THE RIGHT TO GIVE LIFE OR TAKE IT. AND THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT TERRI AND MY SISTER I HAVE WORKED WITH MULTI-HANDICAPPED CHILDREN FOR YEARS.I HAVE SAW THEM LOOK LIKE THEY WERE IN A COMA, THEN LET MOM OR DAD WALK IN THE CLASS ROOM AND SEE THE SMILE. NO WE CAN NOT ALLOW HER TO BE MURDERED.WE WOULD BE PUTTING THE THE LIFE OF EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD IN THE HANDS OF SELFISH PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO RESPECT FOR HUMANITY OR LIFE. THESE PEOPLE WITHOUT COMPASSION ARE OUR DEMONS
ANN BRYANT

Posted by: ANN BRYANT at March 22, 2005 4:09 PM

i am totally disgusted with the judicial system with respect to terry schiavo.it appears to me that michael schiavo has had 15 years to map out his plan to rid himself of terry and permanently close her mouth about what really occured the night she had the supposed heart attack.he has even taken a paramedic course, so that he might appear well versed in medicine, and smart... and he is...like a fox...well we all know what happened to the greedy sly fox in the end.

Posted by: annette tyler at March 23, 2005 12:29 AM