« Complete List of Senators | Main | Does Michael Know What Terri Wanted? »

March 20, 2005

Gibbs says Ready to Reinsert Feeding Tube

From Straight Up With Sherri, who is in Florida now.

Attorney Gibbs came out and said that he filed the required briefs with the federal court and they will be poised and ready to reinsert the feeding tube right away as the law is passed early in the morning. The House of Reps will meet at midnight and are expected to have about 40 mins of debate before the vote, Bush will be ready to sign, and then they can put the tube in!!!

Please continue to call your Senators and Representatives. First, those who can be influenced, and even those who are clearly on Terri's side. They still need to know, at the eleventh hour and counting, the steadfast determination of those who support Terri.

Terri Schiavo is starving. Call your representatives now!

Posted by powersthatblog at March 20, 2005 5:36 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Gibbs says Ready to Reinsert Feeding Tube:

» WHY REMOVE TERRI'S TUBE? from My View of the World
Why was Terri's feeding tube REMOVED? Why take it out if not medically necessary? Why increase the risk of infection? Ever since Mary Eileen from Stand In The Trenches asked this question, it have really been nagging at me. I can't find a medical... [Read More]

Tracked on March 20, 2005 8:49 PM

Comments

Michael Admits He Didn't Know What Terri Wanted:

Posted by: Maria N. at March 20, 2005 5:49 PM

I hope they mention early in the debate that Terri is not only starving, but has a high fever and needs immediate medical attention.

Posted by: Kim at March 20, 2005 5:49 PM

Sherri (from the quoted blog) reported to Sarah D that Terri doesn't have any fever or infection.

Posted by: OvertOther at March 20, 2005 5:55 PM

Thank you, OvertOther. That's a tremendous relief.

Posted by: Kim at March 20, 2005 6:01 PM

I'm confused...aren't Terri's parents already allowed to go back in to see their daughter?

And Terri isn't really sick with high fever from infection? I really hope she is doing okay as far as it goes. :S I'm praying the congress would pass the bill and they can re-insert the feeding tube as soon as possible.

As I had said before, Michael is a scumbag. :P

Posted by: Jane at March 20, 2005 6:06 PM

I see that Reps. Wexler and Wasserman-Schultz are scheduled to meet with the President of Poland from March 21 - 24.

Does anyone in FL know if this means that they will miss the vote tonight at midnight? That would be both bad news (because under the circumstances their sorry butts belong in Congress, not on an airplane!) and good news (because neither of them is likely to support the bill).

Where will the "Honorable" Representatives be tonight? If anyone knows, please post.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:14 PM

Thank you, Jesus. I am just sitting here in front of my screen, weeping for joy.

Very good news that there is no infection, too. Thank God for that, also.

I'm a little confused about the time displays on these posts, though. Which time zone are they displaying? Or, does it depend on where the poster is?

God bless.

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 20, 2005 6:18 PM

Everyone be sure to read how Michael Schiavo admitted he didn't know what Terri wanted... Thanks Maria for posting.

Posted by: Amy at March 20, 2005 6:18 PM

I've been assuming the posts are timestamped with Florida local time (Eastern Standard Time). It depends on how the hosting server is set up, I guess. (I'm not an expert...)

Keep ringing those phones and flinging those faxes! I'm getting a fax ready for those Congresscritters whose voicemail boxes are full.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:22 PM

What a circus! Something's not right--Jeb should have intervened on Friday; so should have the US Marshals. Why are they letting Terri and her family suffer? SHE IS STILL STARVING!

It ain't over till it's over.

Don't get me wrong; I am pleased but VERY suspicious that Terri would be allowed to STARVE for nearly 3 days--some "compassionate conservatism"...

Posted by: Bryan at March 20, 2005 6:22 PM

I know this is difficult to face, but, we do need to pray for Michael, as well.

That is God's favorite prayer-------to ask for a person's soul to accept the Grace of the Holy Spirit, so that soul can become closer to God.

I hope I don't offend anyone.

God bless

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 20, 2005 6:23 PM

Diana, that's an excellent reminder.

I have been calling every legislator that I can get to. I have been telling them:

"Whether Terri lives or dies, the truth that this is not a right-to-die case and that Terri’s rights have been violated will come out. Don’t be party to her death. It will probably cost you your job. Remind your colleagues of this fact. PASS THAT BILL NOW."

I hope that clinches it for the dissenters...

Posted by: Patsy at March 20, 2005 6:29 PM

Yes, Bryan, you are quite right. I don't think it's right that Terry should be put through this starvation, for a THIRD TIME. This may tax her liver and kidneys so much, that it will affect her for the rest of her life---------which, God willing, will be long, healthy and happy.

I, too, feel that something could have been done before this.

Remember that little boy from Cuba, Elian Gonzales? If the United States government can send commandoes in on behalf of some guy in Cuba (i.e., Elian's dad) then why the heck can't they rescue an innocent, disabled, American woman from an American hospital room?

Thanks for the info, Mary. I think that must be it. It's just confusing me when I get a time stamp from the future!! ---- I'm in central time. I'm easily confused.

I have access to a fax, but no printer. I guess I could write something by hand, and then fax it, though. Would email be okay? That's what I've been doing, mostly.

God bless,

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 20, 2005 6:30 PM

Bryan, I see your point, but remember what happened in October 2003. Jeb Bush got called on the carpet for passing a law that the "bright bulbs" later found unconstitutional. He may feel that he did his utmost already, only to have it fail.

I don't know much about Florida politics, but out here in California we recalled our Governor. (And good riddance to ol' Grayout Davis!) If Jeb sends in the troops, he may find himself on the wrong end of a recall election, or an impeachment, himself. Then who would be Governor of Florida? Is your Lt. Governor on Terri's side, or on Michael's? It could be that Jeb is doing all he can do and still stay in office.

Personally, I can hardly wait for midnight. I'm getting ready to send faxes to the Congresscritters with full voicemail boxes right now.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:31 PM

This is not any of your business!!!! If it wasn't for human selfish intervention, god would have take Terri a long time ago. None of you know what brain dead means. I work with these situations everyday. Mike is the one to make the decisions for Terri and if you don't like it to bad!! the court has nooooooooooooooo busiess getting inolved, what is this Russia??? What happen to freedom of choice??? Terri has been dead for years?! Let gods will preveail!!! This not your decision

Posted by: Traci at March 20, 2005 6:31 PM

Read the first post everyone! (ironically I emailed that same post to Blogs for Terri).

Interesting how Michael never heard it from Terri's lips...do you think he is making this up?

From CNN (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0503/18/lkl.01.html)

Posted by: Hidden Nook at March 20, 2005 6:33 PM

You hypocrites - let the poor woman pass from a life that has already left her. You have no problem with putting retards to death or a man who would sit by and watch that happen (aka, Bush), but god forbid a woman whose brain is gone should be allowed to pass peacefully from this world.

Posted by: Jesus Rocks at March 20, 2005 6:33 PM

Dana, definitely write the fax by hand and fax it. Voicemail boxes and e-mail boxes get full fast. Faxes will keep going till they run out of paper. A pile of faxes spilling onto the floor should get the attention of somebody!

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:33 PM

Sorry, that should have read "Fax machines will keep going..."

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:33 PM

Thanks, Patsy.

And, thanks for your lobbying message. I'll just flagrantly plagiarize it, if you don't mind :-) It covers everything.

God bless.

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 20, 2005 6:34 PM

If life is so sacred, why do you hypocrites support state sanctioned murder?

Posted by: Burbank California at March 20, 2005 6:35 PM

Traci, Terri's not "brain dead"! She's just brain-damaged. She laughs, cries, and is aware if the danger her life is in right now.

If you work with disabled people, I *hope* you feel that they are entitled to the same rights and protections under the law that able-bodied people are!!!

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:36 PM

Hey Dana - what would you want if you were in Terri's place? All of you should stop and ask that question - what would you want? To be kept alive like that?

Posted by: Pro life at March 20, 2005 6:37 PM

Okay, Burbank: *Innocent* life is sacred. Terri has committed no crime -- only the "crime" of being inconvenient to her husband. Why should she be put to death when she has never hurt anyone?

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:38 PM

Mary in LA - would you want to be kept alive like this?? If you work with these people then YOU should know the quality of life - bed sores, diapers, feeding tubes, no happiness, no joy. How dare you deny her the dignity of death.

Posted by: Mary in LA is nuts at March 20, 2005 6:40 PM

Oh, and Pro-life, I'm only 43, just two years older than Terri. I would want to be kept alive, and I am putting that in a living will (a lesson I hope everybody learns from Terri's case, regardless of which side they're on).

If I were 83, 93, or 103, I probably wouldn't want to be kept alive, and I'll spell that out in my living will. But that's the point: It should be MY decision, not anyone else's, and everyone should have that right and that respect.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:42 PM

"Innocent"? Oh, I see. So it's okay for you to decide who lives and who dies. But...I thought that was only God's domain, no? So which is it? Can a human decide when another's life should end? If so, why shouldn't the man she married, the man she loved, be able to decide when she's lost the capacity to do so?

Posted by: Burbank California at March 20, 2005 6:43 PM

If you think I'm nuts, it's a good thing that you won't be in charge of taking care of me.

Bed sores are avoidable with good care, and diapers are just diapers -- I've changed enough of them. And as for "no happiness, no joy" -- the whole point is that Terri is not brain dead!

Put your own wishes into a living will, and respect others' choices as you would want your own choices respected. It's not that hard.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:45 PM

Burbank, it's not me making the decision as to Terri's innocence -- as a fact of law, Terri has committed no crime and should not be killed.

A human being can decide when another's life should end when a human being has committed a capital crime -- the crime of taking another's life -- in those states that permit it. That's in the law. If you don't like the law, change it, as we are trying to do now -- but don't pretend it's other than what it is.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:47 PM

BTW, I don't work with disabled people -- that was Traci, above. I have taken care of disabled people in my family and among my friends. Just wanted to make that clear.

Terri is not brain-dead. Just wanted to make that clear, too.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:57 PM

"-- in those states that permit it." Should read "-- in those states that permit capital punishment." Needless to say, no states permit murder.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 6:59 PM

I lived in So. Cal Mary up in til a few years ago. You are very fortunate because the California Supreme Court ruled in Aug. 2001 on a similar case that "clear and convincing evidence must be proven "and can overturn any guardian's hearsay! Now I live in Florida with my husband whoam I have been caring for over 15 years . He suffered a severe closed head brain injury from an accident. I am horrified at what is happening to Terri here in Florida.

Posted by: Caryn at March 20, 2005 7:15 PM

I'd like to respectfully add this to the mix. People should avoid making grand pronouncements about what they would or wouldn't do in unfamiliar circumstances. Statements like "I wouldn't want to be kept alive that way" are very easy for an able-bodied person to make. But keep in mind that every minute of every day changes us, and some days change us more than others. You have no way of knowing how a major illness or accident would change your opinion about your own life, about what you would "want". As much as we would like to use someone else's experience as a guide, we simply cannot. We're not them. And the last thing we should do is project our own, current able-bodied wants and wishes on someone we cannot possibly understand.

I placed a child for adoption 17 years ago. People told me they could never do something so "unselfish". I told them that if they had lived every minute of my life, thought everything I had ever thought, wanted everything I had ever wanted, and lost everything I had ever lost, not only could they do it, but they would know the act is not as unselfish as they think.

The saying is that we should not judge until we walk a mile in another's shoes. I offer that we can never come close to doing such a thing.

Posted by: Teri J at March 20, 2005 7:20 PM

BTW...I thought it was Michael that decided she should die... and NOT Terri...so all of you out there who say it should be her choice, have you really fought for her to give her own opinion? That's what this is about. It's about giving her life...let's fight for her to live and have therapy so that she can tell us if she wants to live. She used to be able to talk and she can talk again if we just give her the chance and not allow her husband to "let her go."

Posted by: Cassi at March 20, 2005 7:20 PM

Caryn, bless you for taking care of your husband. I know it is hard, and that in a lot of important ways he is not the same man you married, but you are caring for him anyway because you love him. You and he will be in my prayers.

My father died of the effects of a series of strokes. I also helped take care of a friend who died of a brain tumor. Their lives had value up until the moment they died. What judge could dare say otherwise to me?

Teri's point is a very important one. It's easy to say, "Oh, I could never live like that," but everyone's case is different, and we can't know for sure how we will react to a crisis until it happens.

Lesson for everyone: Make a living will, and keep it up to date.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 20, 2005 7:29 PM

To all those who ask " Would you like to live like this? Terri has been living for 15 years isolated from her family , not given therapy , not taken outside ,not been given pain medication ,treated like a sack of potatoes by her husband. He chose to be her guardian and that requires a code of ethics and principles that need to be upheld. He has disreguarded all and is guilty of neglect and abuse of the highest level!

Posted by: Caryn at March 20, 2005 7:45 PM

Good point Caryn... If it weren't for her husband's neglect for the last 15 years, she wouldn't be "living like this."

Posted by: Teri J at March 20, 2005 7:54 PM

I would like all those on the side of killing Terri "for her own good" to prove that she expressed the wish to be starved and dehydrated to death. If...you accept the abusive husband's idea that "she wouldn't want to live by this means" and would find a simple feeding tube intolerable, then how could anyone accept that she wished to undergo some more horrific suffering to her body?? BTW, she has never shown by any means that she finds the feeding tube intolerable in all these many years. And she has expressed other pain to caregivers, like menstrual cramps. And a nurse who cared for her has given testimony that she was feeding Terri at the time Michael decided to have the feeding tube inserted. So...by that fact, it would appear that he actually created the means that he intended to use as his excuse to kill her. No wonder he doesn't want a swallow test or even ice chips given to her. He knows she CAN swallow.

Posted by: chris K at March 20, 2005 8:03 PM

Cspan will air live the congressional house 9:00 est

Posted by: Caryn at March 20, 2005 8:04 PM

WHY WHY WHY? Why was the feeding tube removed in the first place??? I talked to a friend that is a nurse and she said there was no reason why they couldn't have capped it and left it in for weeks! Why risk the increased chance of infection by removing it?

Posted by: Patrick at March 20, 2005 8:26 PM

We have a deep rooted problem. We have become like many in centuries past. The more violent a society becomes the more desensitized our souls and consciences are toward each other. Many cultures value and take care of their elderly familiy. Michael is a small part of the problem. He is a predator and because of so much corruption. There are many in the govenment who aide and abete. It can only happen when massive corruption is in place. If we are all truthful, we know Michael neither loves nor cares for Terri. We compromise with Evil. It infects us. A man devoted to his wife, shows tenderness, in small ways first. The small signs point to a evil intent. What person who truly cares about the wellbeing of a person will go out of their way to be so hatefilled to her. Denying her a radio, light, or just to smell the fresh air. If this is not recognized as unloving, an real hard look inside is in order. This takes all of us to look at our hearts, if we do not have love there where we should we need to ask ourselves, why not?

Posted by: Lorraine at March 20, 2005 8:55 PM

Usually one case will often become the representation for a bigger picture...

um can somebody email me how terri is doing or tell me where i can find out?

Posted by: Kate from New Zealand at March 20, 2005 10:42 PM

Dear Kate:

She has a high fever and is groggy and not responsive according to earlier reports on this blog.

She needs medical care (not in a hospice), she needs food and water right now.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 12:11 AM