« Judge Considers, the Public Waits | Main | Media Bias in Terri Schiavo Case at Extreme Levels in AP, Reuters Reports »

March 21, 2005

Fox News: Terri is PVS and has a liquified brain

- from a reader via email

Shep Smith (NY) just assured the public that Terri is PVS and has a
liquified brain. He interviewed Dr. Garner from St. Vincent CATHOLIC
Hospital who assured the public that if Terri is starved, she will be
given morphine and will feel no pain. ....that would be against the
Hippocratic oath, he assures us.

I need morphine to listen to these people. Dr. Garner looked a little
guilty as he lied through his teeth. Let's blitz Fox-Studio B with
corrections. I got a testy reply when I did it last week.

Posted by richard at March 21, 2005 4:46 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fox News: Terri is PVS and has a liquified brain:

» The media is biased?!? No! Surely not! from JackLewis.net
From LifeNews: Raimundo Rojas, the Hispanic outreach director for the National Right to Life Committee, has been following the Terri... [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2005 10:11 AM

Comments

If someone shot me full of morphine and stabbed me to death, I'm sure I wouldn't feel any pain, either...

Sheesh.

Posted by: Rebecca at March 21, 2005 4:53 PM

..although Michael will likely deny Terri any pain relief or medication, as he has apparently been doing for years.

Posted by: demonsurfer at March 21, 2005 4:55 PM

liquified brain my TUSH! Not even a physical possibility -- at least not if she is still BREATHING. Oh these guys tick me off.

Praying and petitioning...

Taranicole <"3 )~

Posted by: taranicole at March 21, 2005 4:56 PM

Is Shep Smith able to read MRIs now? OH, that's right, Terri hasn't been allowed to have one. The lies and distortions continue...So much for "balanced" news. From a Catholic hospital no less.

Posted by: Nerina at March 21, 2005 4:57 PM

Here's the email to write to Shep Smith...

Foxreport@foxnews.com

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 4:58 PM

Are you all doing your own kind of "distorting" over here?

Why don't you talk about how her husband and her friends have testified to the fact that she didn't want to live like this and, the courts have found in their favor.

And not just one court. Multiple courts.

Posted by: Jesse at March 21, 2005 5:01 PM

Speaking of liars, I watched a repeat of Larry King last night where he interviewed Michael Schiavo and his lawyer (who has been paid for out of the money that was supposed to have been used for Terri's rehabilitation), and based on what I know of human reactions, every time Schiavo answered a question with a lie, his body language - shifty eyes, not looking at Larry when he spoke, etc. - told the tale for him. He was lying then, and he's lying now. If Terri wanted this to happen, she would have made out a Living Will with her doctor beforehand - thus, whatever Schiavo says is merely hearsay. WHY they are allowing that in court, I would very much like to know. This sets up a precendent that allows a relative to kill off their relations if they no longer wish to care for them or pay for their care. Schiavo should have divorced Terri and let her parents have her, since he obviously had no respect for her and their marriage vows when he broke them to go start a family with another heartless human being.

Speaking of marriage vows, he vowed to keep her IN SICKNESS and in health - just because she's sick and a burden to him, he shouldn't be allowed to just say whatever he wants in order to have her put to death.

Like you, I'm going to need a huge dose of morphine, because I am so distressed that Terri is being put to death in a manner the U.N. would not condone for prisoners of war - why it is okay here, I will NEVER know.

Posted by: Susan J at March 21, 2005 5:03 PM

I have written Shep an email at the email address and it was returned. If anyone finds an email address that works, please let me know.

husband and friends have testified?? Where? Show proof of that.

Posted by: Sandy at March 21, 2005 5:06 PM

I just sent this to "Shep"

Shepard Smith,

I am APPALLED that you work for Fox and yet can't seem to get the facts straight. Terri is NOT PVS, a simple CAT scan, (that she received over 13 years ago) can't even truthfully confirm that.. Liquified brain? My god... do you also believe the earth is flat?

Please get all the facts before you report this case. You simply do not understand what's happening, otherwise you're just spewing forth the lies that George Felos' camp wants you to spew.

We are simply letting an innocent DISABLED woman die. It doesn't really matter what state she's in -- her parents want to take care of her, while her husband, is to gain financially after she dies.

Have you read any of the documents or affidavits on Terri's website? Sheesh....

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 5:08 PM

Ugh... mine was just returned too... I'm going to send it to the other emails on the fox website..

Viewer Services
Viewerservices@foxnews.com

FOX News Channel Comments
Comments@foxnews.com

FOXNews.com Comments (website)
Foxnewsonline@foxnews.com

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 5:10 PM

It would be my hope they give her demerol for the pain. My husband ,following surgery was given demerol and he began talking to the nurses. I've read that alzheimer patients following hip surgery remembered their loved one when before demerol they didn't. I've tried to have research on this but none is available.

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 5:12 PM

Nobel nominee doctor's report http://libertytothecaptives.net/hammesfahr_dr._report.html

We have to make the media address this report. Why are they ignoring the report.

Posted by: sujata at March 21, 2005 5:21 PM

Not only did he say the aforementioned things, he also allowed the good doctor to say the "FAMILY" wouldn't allow therapy for Terri.

Really, doc?

Don't you mean MICHAEL wouldn't allow it?

Shep is a fellow Ole Miss alum and he's really torching my hide with these outright untruths he is both spewing and allowing others to spread on during his airtime.

Shame.

Posted by: tiredofit at March 21, 2005 5:21 PM

This is disgusting. I'm just listening to Hannity's radio program and he is interviewing a Dr. William Hammersfar (sp?) who examined Terri for a total of 10 hours and according to him, Terri can be significantly rehabilitated. She is NOT in a PVS, nor is she unable to take food by mouth. This Dr. was nominated for a Nobel prize in 1999 for his work with patients life Terri. Blitz Hannity too!

Posted by: CeCe at March 21, 2005 5:21 PM

Shep Smiths email studiob@foxnews.com

Posted by: Barbara L. Russell at March 21, 2005 5:22 PM

Shep Smith. The new Dan Rather. Is Fox the New CBS?

Posted by: Ron in Lk Charles at March 21, 2005 5:26 PM

Thanks Barbara! ;-)

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 5:27 PM

Another point - if Terri is supposedly in "no pain" and is therefore not suffering, THEN WHY IS SHE BEING PUT OUT OF HER MISERY?????????

Posted by: Susan J at March 21, 2005 5:28 PM

What is Jeb's number. The Dr. said we need to call to have Terri in protective custody.

Posted by: CeCe at March 21, 2005 5:37 PM

Dr. Hammesfahr will be on Hannity and Colmes tonight. Sean Hannity is the only media personality out there who is telling it the way it really is. Dr. Hammesfahr said some remarkable things about Terri. I am glad Sean has enough guts to get this on tv.

Posted by: Sandy at March 21, 2005 5:37 PM

I was fortunate to meet Dr. Hammesfahr over a 1 1/2 yrs. ago when we first moved to Florida. We discussed Terri then and I hope in the future I can get over to Clearwater to have him work with my husband. He is a remarkable doctor. Michael has denied any doctor to help her.

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 5:39 PM

Info for Jeb Bush:

The Capitol, 400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001
Phone: (850) 488-4441
Fax: (850) 487-0801

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 5:41 PM

Please contact Larry King, why is he always having michael on his show. Why not Dr. Hammesfahr??

Posted by: sujata at March 21, 2005 5:42 PM

Sujata, Hannity is the only one out there with guts. Well, I'll give drudge some guts too :)

I'm stuck at work now, so I can't call -- but thanks to everyone who is!!

Posted by: taranicole at March 21, 2005 5:45 PM

you're welcome Ron in Lk Charles! You can also blitz the other shows but your best bet is to direct it to the anchor and his/her show. Click on link at bottom of Fox News-email us- and find the show--On the Record is another good one--Greta responds most times. In all fairness Shep usually is fair but today--?? The "Head Judge" of Fox News was at his side and all I can say is I am glad he has retired from the bench. Note one thing though which is not usually said--the gentleman who talked about starvation did say it was a horrible way to die and they did feel pain but interjected that morphine is usually given to relieve the pain-no excuse for this murder, however, most of those talking say no pain, never mentioning that morphine has to be given. Michael's lawyer just said he expected the tube not to be replaced. God grant mercy on all of us.

Posted by: Barbara L. Russell at March 21, 2005 5:52 PM

Barbara,

Actually, it was me who thanked you, not Ron. Not that it really matter. ;-) (the name of the person posting is below the posting). ;-)

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 6:03 PM

Just sent in some comments to CNN on the News Tip email and also to the Larry King show.

If Michael is so wonderful, where are the pictures of him lovingly taking care of Terri? This man is worse than pond scum.

Posted by: CeCe at March 21, 2005 6:05 PM

Sorry, Sirena---this was my first time at posting though I read every day, several times a day--it's a most important place for the real news. Again, sorry, but I'm 72 and wondering if I'm next--my family would never do that they know how I feel--but what about those stupid judges?

Posted by: Barbara L. Russell at March 21, 2005 6:10 PM

John Gibson's got his head on straight. He says that the Florida courts are recognizing a sham marriage by allowing the repellent Mr. Schiavo to continue as his "wife's" guardian.

I knew I liked John Gibson.

As for my opinion, if there are any euthanasia-supporting reporters or politicians reading this, my North Carolina Handicapped Parking Placard # is K32944 and I am not a happy woman. You go to my blog and read the background message.

I've got a lot of writing years left - and the means to publicize it.

Posted by: Baillie at March 21, 2005 6:13 PM

Goodness! I couldn't believe Shep either today. I was so angry at him and yelling at the tv. I've already e-mailed him twice, with one being returned. I usually love Shep, but I lost some respect for him today. All the Fox correspondents have been saying Terri is PVS and all this stuff. They need to get their facts straight. I'm very angry about this. This only confuses people and makes them think untrue things. God bless Terri.

Posted by: Jane at March 21, 2005 6:16 PM

Fox is returning a lot of emails today--I sent one to Sean and it was returned--they're either overloaded with emails or they are rejecting our voice! Keep trying--Terri's Truth must be heard! My own mother was on a feeding tube just like Terri and we were grateful for every day of those 5 extra years we had with her and she went home on the day GOD chose not man!

Posted by: Barbara L. Russell at March 21, 2005 6:25 PM

Barbara,

I'm having the same problem... now I'm glad I called Fox News and told them my emails were coming back to me.

God bless you, Barbara!

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 6:52 PM

Wait, you mean her brain isn't liquid? I went looking for proof otherwise in the myths section and found nothing.

Posted by: Arnold Friend at March 21, 2005 7:49 PM

Forget Shep. What about BILL O'REILLY! I cannot believe the view HE has. He is just taking the word of the doctors whose testimony is in the case, not the other doctors who have said they disagree. This is really ridiculous. But then he tries (my opinion) to sound "fair minded" and say he's glad she's getting every chance she can. This is ridiculous. I cannot believe Bill O'Reilly would take this particular stance.

Posted by: cw at March 21, 2005 8:14 PM

That is because most of these stupid media types are only interested in pushing a party line. That party line happens to be pushing the culture of death.

You should be arguing this from the point of view that this is about corruption of guardians in Pinellas County and that the corruption starts and finishes with the bench (unjustice George Greer).

What is happening to this woman is totally unjust. Greer has refused to entertain any evidence that indicates that Terri can be rehabilitated.

Posted by: Maggie at March 21, 2005 11:52 PM

1. The law that was passed in Congress is constitutional under Article 3 of the constitution. Thomas Jefferson had stated the judiciary was the weakest branch of government and needed to be reigned in. Do people think all judges are fair and honest and unbiased?

2. It was Michael and his family who testified regarding her supposed 'end of life' wishes. It was not mentioned until more than 7 YEARS after her collapse. Testimony disputing these facts was thrown out based on a factual mistake Judge Greer made regarding the actual date of Karen Ann Quinlan's death (in 1985). He said it was in 1975 and Terri would have been too young to be making statements regarding life support. Oddly enough he was allowed to rule on the motion to dismiss that decision even though HE was the one who made the mistake. How does that work?!? Others have signed affidavits stating Michael said that they NEVER spoke about end of life wishes. (I believe the quote is "My God, we never talked about it, we were only 25...")

3. And this is important--- since the Judge ruled that this alleged conversation was "fact" any other subsequent court decision made has to accept this as fact and not re-review the (hearsay) evidence. So until it receives a 'de novo' review, no one can address that issue again, even though it is suspect.

4. Glenn Beck (radio guy, glennbeck.com)is an avid supporter of Terri and is doing great things getting the truth out. I was disappointed by Bill O'Reilly tonight though. He didn't seem well researched for that segment. Why do people ASSUME she can't swallow when she had been in the past but is no longer being given the opportunity to try?

5. Why not get updated tests for her? A CT scan is the lowest level of technology to determine brain function. Why not an MRI or an MRA? An updated EEG? Why not take those experimental electrodes out of her head that may be causing fluid buildup and give her a shunt?

Although I am not a big fan of Operation Rescue, the Schindler family apparently have Randall Terry (or is it Terry Randall?) as a spokesperson now. He has a website www.helpterri.com which sends out fast, editable email letters to legislators with no strings attached.

I need to spend a few more minutes checking the news and get back to praying. I still have hope.

Posted by: I hope. at March 22, 2005 1:18 AM