« Hammesfahr: Terri could be fed orally if it were allowed | Main | Florida Legislature - ACTION ITEM Part 2 »

March 21, 2005

Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help (Update ACTION REQUESTED)

Topics: Legislative Action Items

A relief bill was blocked by the state Senate, and at least six Republicans voted against it. Here's a link with the information on the senators who have voted against the measure that would protect Terri. Please contact them, but do so in a responsible way. Heated rhetoric just pushes some people further into their own opinion.

UPDATE: ACTION ITEM - This is Terri's backup plan. We need thousands of readers and bloggers contacting the six Republicans, respectfully and avoiding heated rhetoric - But firmly pleading Terri's case. We need to DO IT NOW!

UPDATE 2: Please ALSO go here to send email instantly to the six senators (Burt Saunders, Walter Campbell, Mandy Dawson, JD Alexander, Nancy Argenziano, and Paula Dockery).

Posted by tim at March 21, 2005 9:08 PM

Articles Related to Legislative Action Items:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help (Update ACTION REQUESTED):

» And The Death Watch Continues... from Tributaries

Pray for Terri.  HARD.

Call these Senators.  Give them an earful - but be polite!  T...

[Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 8:27 PM

» ACTION ITEM: Florida Legislature from MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Tracked on March 21, 2005 9:57 PM

» Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help (Update ACTION REQUESTED) from ProLifeBlogs

Tracked on March 21, 2005 11:26 PM

» Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help Terri from bLogicus
Hugh Hewitt writes that the Florida legislature still has an opportunity to come to the aid of Terri Schiavo:A relief bill was blocked by the state Senate, and at least six Republicans voted against it. Here's a link with the information on the senator... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 11:45 PM

» Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help Terri from bLogicus

Tracked on March 21, 2005 11:45 PM

» The Fight Continues for Terri Schiavo's Life from Trials and Turbulations
Read here how you can help. Time is running out. As we all know, mainly, it's the Republicans who are in favor of Terri's life. But I just read on Blogs for Terri that [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2005 12:59 AM

» Florida Legislature is Still Able to Help from Hyscience
Hugh Hewitt writes that the Florida legislature still has an opportunity to come to the aid of Terri Schiavo: [Read More]

Tracked on March 22, 2005 5:57 AM

Comments

RINOS!!!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 21, 2005 7:39 PM

"Come down, President Bush," Schiavo said in a telephone interview. "Come talk to me. Meet my wife. Talk to my wife and see if you get an answer. Ask her to lift her arm to shake your hand. She won't do it."

She won't, Schiavo said, because she can't.

---------------------------

What a dirtbag!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 21, 2005 7:54 PM

You know, I wonder how his mistress would want to have children with this sorry excuse for a man. God forbid if she is ever disabled, or their children.

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:02 PM

Mofizix,

I thought that too, not to mention what a dumbass! So, by his standards, Stephen Hawking wouldn't be worthy of life either. Nor the countless millions of other disabled. What an effing asshole he is!

Posted by: Beth at March 21, 2005 8:05 PM

I dunno. According to this article (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/20/Tampabay/Republican_Nine_stick.shtml), those State Senators are fixed firmly in their opinion and intend to stick together, no matter what.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to call, provided we're courteous (and that's very important). But I don't have many illusions that it will help. I think it's seriously time for the Federal marshals.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 21, 2005 8:13 PM

If the Florida Legislature really wanted to "fix" this, all they would have to do is to require the written version and disallow a claimed hearsay version of an unwillingness to continue life is seriously disabled. That was the original law back in '89.

Posted by: Jhn1 at March 21, 2005 8:14 PM

Up on Drudge right now is that Michael Schiavo called Tom DeLay a slithering snake.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 8:14 PM

It might actually be more helpful to call some of the Democrats...

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 21, 2005 8:14 PM

It sounds like scaremongering, saber rattling, and aa feable attempt, because they're on the side of death--not life, at reverse psychology by the anti-Terri group.

After such a long time, I think the Governor first, or possibly the President, second--should--go down. But not to make a political statement or get mileage out of it but to support the family in saving her life. Even if only to ensure the women is fed for now, and until the power struggle is over.

If her cause has the merit of the preceding subpoenas, senate, and congressional acts, it would seem reasonable to argue for her sustenance while deliberations drag on, and long. What about the unreasonable conflicts of one judge Greer?

Posted by: RESUME FEEDING at March 21, 2005 8:15 PM

Now I cannot cast judgment as to whether "odious" is how Michael sees his wife, but scripture isn't kind to those who replace wives (think Sarah and Hagar) pray for Jody...

Proverbs 30: 22-23

Under three things the earth trembles, yes, under four it cannot bear up:
(1) Under a slave when he becomes king,
(2) and a fool when he is glutted with food;
(3) Under an odious woman when she is wed,
(4) and a maidservant when she displaces her mistress

Posted by: Clare Krishan at March 21, 2005 8:16 PM

All the numbers I called VM was full. I would urge you to call the White House switchboard - there's a live person.

We cannot be silent. Please.

1-202-456-1414

Posted by: Mo at March 21, 2005 8:17 PM

Of course, Michael thinks Tom Delay is a snake... he doesn't like the fact that he could be found of trying to murder his wife, use the rehabilitative money for things other than it was intended for, or that he abused her in the past.

If you ask me, Michael is the devious snake...

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:18 PM

It is all bravado and big talk because he is beginning to see his plot to murder his wife by state approval stymied.

I hope that President Bush does go to visit Terri and that when he does, he will get hold of a wheel chair and remover her from that miserable room where she has been held as a captive for the last 5 years.

Posted by: Maggie at March 21, 2005 8:18 PM

I just contacted the webmaster about all the trolls infesting the site here.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 8:19 PM

Sirena:

I totally agree. If anyone is a "slithering snake" it's her murdering ex-husband. I am saying ex because a good husband doesn't do the things he does. I have a husband and I adore him.

Michael Schiavo is NOT a husband.

He is nothing less than a murderer. He is the personaification of Scott Peterson, only he is getting the state to murder his wife instead of himself.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 8:21 PM

Ruth,

I agree. I've told my husband about a year ago that I thought the only difference between Scott Peterson and Michael Schiavo, is that Scott Peterson got caught and Michael is still trying to murder his wife...

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:23 PM

I would trackback, but your page won't let me copy and paste the trackback url.

I have posted and linked to you at my blog

[I know, it annoys the hell out of me too when I try to T/B to my blog. Sorry! --Beth (Admin)]

Posted by: Sharon Ferguson at March 21, 2005 8:24 PM

All:

It looks like the webmaster has cleared out the trolls for now.

Thank you Mr./Ms./Miss/Mrs. Webmaster!

God bless!

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 8:24 PM

Another troll crawling up from out of the woodwork. Naveen, if you read all the factual documents, you will see there is a history of spousal abuse. Don't post unless you know all the facts. And we are fighting for everyone's civil rights. Terri is having her taken away and that is worth fighting to protect.

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:25 PM

[Buh-bye, troll. Thanks for playing, game over. --The Management™ / Beth]

Posted by: nav at March 21, 2005 8:27 PM

Such ignorant trolls...

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:28 PM

Sirena: Beth is the webmistress, email her or use the contact form.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 8:30 PM

Let's not waste time replying to people who have no reason to be here except to cause trouble. (And I've been guilty of it myself today.)

But please, let's focus on still trying to call/email, do what we can.

People who want her dead are not worth our time and energy, especially not at this late hour.

Posted by: Mo at March 21, 2005 8:30 PM

Hi Ruth,

I have been. ;-)

KTF (keep the faith)

Posted by: Sirena at March 21, 2005 8:30 PM

Hehehehehe....I've been wanting to do that for DAYS.

Next time a troll comes in, start your comment with IGNORE THE TROLL. It'll be easier for me to catch them. LOL ;-)

Did you notice Naveen came back as "nav" and tried again? Even used the "Rethug" word!
BWAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Beth at March 21, 2005 8:33 PM

A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty,
but a fool's provocation is heavier than both.
--Prov 27.3(RSV)

Posted by: Resume Feeding! at March 21, 2005 8:35 PM

Michael Schiavo is an admitted adulterer - if Terri had proper legal representation, she would divorce him on that basis, and he would no longer be able to decide she should die. Why has SOMEBODY not filed charges against Michael for bigamy or adultery to put a stop to his interference?

Posted by: Linda at March 21, 2005 8:37 PM

OT - The Empire Journal is looking into whether the Pinellas County Courthouse in Clearwater had something to do with the hacking of their site the other day:

"According to the statistical information just prior to the total hacking of the website, one of the last visits was from a computer at the Pinellas County Courthouse in Clearwater."

This thing keeps getting more corrupt by the day.

Posted by: Virginia at March 21, 2005 8:59 PM

WHERE'S JEB?

WHERE ARE THE US MARSHALS?

FORGET THE LIBS; THE GOP IS LETTING TERRI DIE!!!

O Lord, have mercy on this situation and on Terri. Please make your name known and your mighty power known through this situation. We ask for Terri's life Lord; nevertheless, not our will but Yours be done. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Posted by: Bryan at March 21, 2005 9:01 PM

fyi fox news Sean Hannity is interviewing Terri's father now.

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 9:04 PM

We "liberals" support Terri too. I was glad to see that in the house, demos voted 50/50 to save Terri. I was suprised at who a few of the demos are who voted against. How soon they forget that their parents, grandparents, etc were in a similar situation when courts used to rule the domestic affairs of our country.

Despite what they say in the papers and on PBS newshour the house vote should prove that this is not a political issue.

This is an issue about law and order. This is about protecting people who can't protect themselves against 6'6 thugs. Anyone who cant see that isn't alive.

Posted by: Joe at March 21, 2005 9:08 PM

Thanks Virginia, your link http://www.theempirejournal.com/03210578_pinellas_county_governm.htm is very interesting.

Being that its from "Pinellas County" tells me that the "fair game law" was being used against the Empire Journal.

I have used the Empire Journal as a recource (Im one of more than 100,000 readers) and they do a great job. www.blogsforterri.com has also done a wonderful job of education. I showed my wife the videos of Terri and she agrees that she is very much alive despite what her exhusband says that she died 15 years ago.

Posted by: Joe at March 21, 2005 9:16 PM

MaryAnne--How can anyone defend Michael "Scott Peterson" Schiavo? You must not see what we see? An obvious wife beater, who clearly has something to hide. Look how angry he gets. Look at how arrogant he is. Look at how he hates the parents and anyone who wants his "wife" to live. if he cared, he wouldnt' have been having bastard children with a woman for 10 years. He shouldn't even have a say--but he does, becuase he found some sicko judge in central Florida who is equally committed to killing this poor girl.

She is a devout Catholic just like her family, and that to me is MUCH MORE EVIDENCE THAT SHE would want to be kept alive than some deadbeat husband's claim of something he claim she said 15 years ago about something that wasn't even remotely similar.

This case stinks to high heaven. Democrats even see it, at least the reasonable ones. The courts see it. T he president sees it. her entire natural family sees it.

Yet, you, in all your holier than thou wisdom, have the gallt oc ome on here and defend the one man, against all of that, who wants her dead.

Incredible...the Hilteresque rhetoric i've seen and heard from people in our country, a place that I thought still had an ounce of respect for life and dignity.

I guess not.

Posted by: MikeKS at March 21, 2005 9:26 PM

MaryAnne, honestly, you don't belong here. Your prose is nice and you're *trying* to be nice, but, you're trolling.

This website is for those who support Terri. Period.

Say goodbye and goodnight MaryAnne. Please go to the myriad of Kill Terri sites out there where you will feel more comfortable.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 9:32 PM

Mary Anne, Unless you are a spouse who is caring for their brain damaged spouse over 15 years then it is you who have no right to comment on this situation . Your experience has little to do with this case. I'm caring for my husband at home , we go to restuarants, concerts, and this week to Sea World. I do whatever I can to provide a life of quality for him. He shakes his head "no" if asked if he wants to die. No one should have the ability to deny therapy, stimuli or their blood family from someone who is recovering (not terminally ill) from a brain injury and then fight to have them die!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 9:41 PM

The Congress was entitled to get involved under Article 3 of the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson was of the opinion that the judiciary was the weakest branch of the government and needed to be 'reigned in.' Florida is showing how truly weak they can be. Perhaps this can be made in the argument to the legislation down there, it is IN THE CONSTITUTION!

Some people feel that any child, no matter how disabled, no matter how long their life, is a gift from God.

I wish people would realize that starving a person to death (taking out the feeding tube AND denying her food by mouth when she is capable) is not letting her rest in peace. I would defy any of these people to go any extended length of time without eating, and especially without DRINKING.

People need to read Proverbs 24:11-12. And check www.terrisfight.org. I am going to need medication soon if these inane and uninformed people don't let up soon. God help us all.

Posted by: I Hope at March 21, 2005 9:45 PM

Well said I Hope!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 9:49 PM

MaryAnne (aka alterego):

I would humbly suggest you get more informed about Terri's plight.

Your post belies a strong ignorance of the realities and exigencies of the family's claims, judicial conflict of interest and abuse, as well as many of the facts revealed to date.

A couple items of note for you to consider:

+ Terri's parents made a full offer to M.S. to take over care, probably a waste of time also, but notheless to take over care of their daughter.

+ Because of circumstances beyond her control Terri os not able to assert her inalienable right to her life.

+ M.S. far from "doing the right thing"--it is obvious to the informed, if we can beleive at all what has been deposed ad has been verily proven, again and over again, that M.S. is as guardian--unfit.

Therefore, we come to the same conclusion as in many places elsewhere on this blog: thus it is, regardless of whether it is possible to walk in someone else's shoes, that we have to find for Theresa Marie Schindler's rights, as these existed before she was married, are now, and will be tomorrow--she needs to get there though.

Positively I do agree with you on the following:

"Time, energy and money wasted for what? The bill doesn't really do anything more than what has already been done - send it back to the courts."

Although, I see how the nation's government is upheld by trying to resolve this via the juciary, since much of the mess has originated there.

The longer this goes on mind you the less this kind of consideration, one based on procedural governance, is a valid one.

Posted by: Resume Feeding at March 21, 2005 9:49 PM

They have some funky laws in Florida. Terri's brother said they turned over evidence of attempted murder against MS and the attorney general said that there was a 4 year statute of limitations for attempted murder. What's up with that.

Posted by: imtoast at March 21, 2005 9:58 PM

I am an Occupational Therapist. When one can't communicate verbally. We set up a communication board that can make your needs and wants known. They even have ones that will talk for you. Verbal communication is not the ONLY means of communication. They say Terri can't say she wants to live, well damn has anyone thought of giving her a chance to communicate alternatively.
She could use a device in her mouth to press a yes or no to the question, Terri, do you want to live? Did you want your feeding tube out? Do you feel your rights have been violated. Ask her lots of different questions, but do it quickly. This poor, dear, woman will not have the strength for very long. Augmentative communication for the disabled is very standard today. All kinds of laws and acts and funds have been put into these programs. In this high tech world we live, when our government could locate a flea on our dog from a satellite in space, surely someone could quickly and efficiently figure out to set up a communication device. Let us see what Terri can do. I will bet she would surprise us all.

Posted by: Lorraine at March 21, 2005 10:00 PM

Lorraine: Thank you for that information for the board.

I feel that I am learning a lot about disabilities from this issue.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 10:02 PM

Michael Schiavo and his evil attorney were on CNN tonight on Larry King. again MS called us 'right wingers" now tell me, are they playing politics with his wife? the judge must see that these men have an agenda. Did you hear Michael Savage today? He said the most beautiful profound thing about Terri. He said, "Do you think Terri is Jesus, sent here to tell us all something?"
My God, I was thinking that last night as I could not sleep. He said he could not sleep all weekend. God Bless you Savage.

Posted by: chardonnay at March 21, 2005 10:15 PM

Actually, it probably does way less than that. The statute says that the court can consider only federal claims (I'm pretty sure the federal courts have previously ruled that there are no federal questions involved - that won't be controlling precedent, but it's mighty persuasive). The judge will have to be *very* clever, indeed, to pull a rabbit outta that hat.

I'd guess that, if the judge decides to get activist and rule in the parents' favor, it'll be on the conflict-of-interest grounds. Per federal law, that's realllllly dicey. When you look at the case law, there's not much to support a decision like that, but if the judge wants to invent law, I'd imagine that's the route he'll go.

Posted by: jpe at March 21, 2005 10:16 PM

Whoa, I'm really appalled at the reactions of people like MaryAnne and Risa. God willing, they will never be in the situation of deciding when their loved one's, "quality of life," is so poor that it's no longer worth living.

I am also a bit perturbed by people who may be unfairly demonizing Michael. However, I too believe that there is no way I could possibly swallow the idea that he is, "doing what's best for her." I have no idea what his true motivation is, but if he loved his wife, he would not have continued to refuse to have her tested, and tried to prevent her family from visiting her. Why he won't release her into their guardianship, I don't understand, but I can NOT believe that it's because he is trying to fulfill her wishes.

Posted by: JannyMae at March 21, 2005 10:20 PM

The doctor, Dr. Ronald Cranford, who was primary evaluator declaring Terri is in a PVS state and was on the board of the Euthanasia Society will be on Hannity & Combs tomorrow. I will be at work . We need to exspose this guy! Under BlogsforTerri--Medical Facts about Terri Schiavo march 18 is info on this quack!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 10:23 PM

I do think Terri is here for a special purpose and her life is very important, no matter how insignificant it seems to far too many. Her life is a precious gift from God and no one has the right to end it. God help all those who think because she is disabled she is not worthy to live. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through, watching your child slowly die, and being helpless. We really need to prayer for her parents to give them strength, they need it. And of course, never stop praying for Terri.

Posted by: Claudia at March 21, 2005 10:36 PM

There is a conflict of interest. M S cannot love his wife if he is shacked up with another woman. He wants his wife dead, not out of love but because she is a reminder of something he would rather forget.

Posted by: Maggie at March 21, 2005 10:39 PM

Does anyone know if the President can sign some kind of executive order? Clinton pardoned druggies and corrupt business men when he left office, so why can't President Bush sign an order of some kind? Something has to be done. I wonder if they gave Michael a handgun, if he would have the guts to go in there and finish her off in a more humane way? Then we could legally get him for murder.

Posted by: Sandy at March 21, 2005 10:51 PM

Does anyone know if the President can sign some kind of executive order?

Prrrrrobably not. An executive order is typically something the president does pursuant to a grant of authority from the Congress. In other words, Congress tells the Prez that he can take some of their legislative power.

This, however, isn't a legislative matter; it's judicial. So an executive order couldn't be issued.

The president could, of course, just act illegally, send in the marshalls, and wait for the fall-out, but the President probably has some respect for rule of law and all that.

A pardon is a little different - it is the president usurping some of the power of the judiciary, but it's pursuant to a specific grant of power in the Constiution.

Posted by: jpe at March 21, 2005 11:04 PM

what happen to all the democrat senators? Missing from the vote, absent. If this were about abortion, would they have been there? Oh you bet they would have.

DR CRANFORD (MENGELE)

"Euthanasia" Killings in Nazi Germany
(http://www.holocaust-trc.org)

Forced sterilization in Germany was the forerunner of the systematic killing of the mentally ill and the handicapped. In October 1939, Hitler himself initiated
a decree which empowered physicians to grant a "mercy death" to "patients considered incurable according to the best available human judgment of their state of health." The intent of the so-called "euthanasia" program, however, was not to relieve the suffering...

I swiped that from the michael savage web site, sorry.

Posted by: chardonnay at March 21, 2005 11:06 PM

With affection to my fellow bloggers, I submit the following regarding those with the powers over Terri:

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others?
--Matthew 5.43-47a(RSV)

I submit the following message for Theresa Marie (Schindler) Schiavo herself:

Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences; and there will be terrors and great signs from heaven. But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name's sake. This will be a time for you to bear testimony. Settle it therefore in your minds, not to meditate beforehand how to answer; for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict. You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and kinsmen and friends, and some of you they will put to death; you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your lives.

--Luke 21.10-19(RSV)

Posted by: Resume Feeding! at March 21, 2005 11:08 PM

Politics. I am praying. Perhaps, this new judge will feel some guilt when he wakes up in the am hungry for breakfast.

Posted by: JANE at March 21, 2005 11:18 PM

"Bush can do something, but with 70% against Terri I am betting he's done his thing..."

What can he do?

"Perhaps, this new judge will feel some guilt when he wakes up in the am hungry for breakfast."

He shouldn't feel guilty. Congress should, however, for writing the law in such a way that the judge is blamed for their terrible law.

Posted by: jpe at March 21, 2005 11:20 PM

Bush can direct AG Gonzalez to send in the US Marshals to enforce the Congressional subpoena.

Jeb can take Terri into protective custody per Fla. statute Chapter 415.1051(2). It'll buy time. She's starving to death.

Posted by: Bryan at March 21, 2005 11:25 PM

Thank you Beth!!

Posted by: Sharon Ferguson at March 21, 2005 11:28 PM

I actually agree with jpe on this one--you all KNOW the Bushes want Terri to live. If they could legally do something, they would. Frankly, I'm tired of people expecting the President of the United States to break the law (and Governor Bush too, for that matter).
Jeb Bush has already taken hits for going as far as he has in the past, so I'm sure he (and Pres. Bush) has explored ALL legal angles (and surely, still are).
The laws might SUCK, but they're not stupid enough to flagrantly thumb their noses at the law, even if they are stupid. I'm REALLY surprised to see my fellow Republicans/conservatives pushing for this, especially considering the uproar about Gavin Newsom, etc. breaking the laws to grant gay marriages--not to mention Clinton's legal problems.
Don't misunderstand me though; you won't hear me shrieking about "government intervention" with regards to the Congressional action--they're not breaking the law, after all. I respect the overwhelming desire to see something done--believe me, I do too--but that's not the answer.

Everyone who's saying George W and Jeb Bush can do something needs to explain exactly what it is they can do legally that their legal advisors don't know about. 'Cause I'd like to know, too.

Posted by: Beth at March 21, 2005 11:28 PM

TO repubs suck:

Since you believe that since Terri's family wants her alive that she should be kept alive, how do YOU propose she should be kept alive? Who should take what type of action? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed here.

[Bryan: He's just a waste of bandwidth flinging poo around here. He's history now. --Beth/The Management™]

Posted by: Bryan at March 21, 2005 11:28 PM

Jane,
First, don't trust polls. They're among Twain's "statistics".

Second, both Bushes are lame ducks (please correct me if Jeb isn't). What have they to lose?

Third, George speaks of "political capital to spend." In this trying time, where many folks are standing by, praying for someone to step forward and do the right thing, here is a perfect opportunity to spend said capital.

Posted by: Snowy Owl at March 21, 2005 11:30 PM

Uh oh, time to put on my admin hat...LOL

Posted by: Beth at March 21, 2005 11:31 PM

"Since you believe that since Terri's family wants her alive that she should be kept alive, how do YOU propose she should be kept alive?"

The ball was in Congress's court, and they dropped it. They should've drafted the law to include a temporary injunction-like standard, something like "the state court's order can be enjoined if the judge finds a reasonable chance of success on the merits."

Instead, Congress required *actual success* on the merits. That, right there, all but guaranteed that the judge would need at least 12 hours, and probably a lot more than that. Had they used a TO standard, it would've 15 minutes and the tube would've been reinserted.

Now that Congress has acted (and blown it, I think), there probably isn't a whole lot more than could be done within the bounds of law.

Posted by: jpe at March 21, 2005 11:37 PM

Yes Lorraine... we do have all of those wonderful alternative communication devices "available" these days... and we have new medical tests available, and we have new therapies available, and new rehabilitation concepts... and medicines, and wheelchairs, and stimuli, and photos, and TV, and video cameras, and visitors, and communion, and sunshine, and fresh air, and jello, and fortified pudding, and Ensure, and.... oh yeah, basic WATER!!
But "no", they are not allowed to be provided to Terri... at Michael's request (demand), and under Judge Greer's ORDER.
I live 30 minutes from Terri. I would volunteer my time to spoon-feed her- after all, if she truly did not want to live, she'd spit out the food & water. But unfortunately, no one is allowed to even offer an ice-chip to Terri.
Even an innocent attempt to APPROACH the Hospice with a cup of water will garner an arrest.

Michael is scared... that's why.

Posted by: Raquel at March 21, 2005 11:44 PM

I agree, Bryan. Why doesn't Jeb do something? They need to get Terry her food and water back, right now.

Didn't the Justice Department send federal marshals to take that little boy away from his mom's family in Florida, and send him to his dad in Cuba? So, why can't they do the same for Terry?

I can't even sleep, this is bothering me so much. I keep thinking of her. I can barely deal with my regular, family problems.

I was at an "anti-Terry" Website this evening. They're saying that 20 doctors have examined Terry, and 17 courts have ruled on her case. Where are they getting this? (Even if it were true, I wouldn't want her to starve anyway.)

It's shocking to me that "liberals" would ally themselves with a person who may have abused his wife and is now trying to kill her. I always thought they were on the side of the underdog. Maybe liberals aren't really liberal anymore.

God bless. Please pray for Terry.

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 21, 2005 11:51 PM

'Describing the individuals whose lives were unworthy of life as suffering from “incurable feeblemindedness,” Binding argued that their lives were “without purpose” and imposed a “terribly difficult burden” on both relatives and society. Although they had no value, the care of such individuals, Binding argued, occupied an entire profession of healthy individuals, which was a total misappropriation of valuable human resources. Alfred Hoche fully supported his coauthor’s argument. Hoche offered a variety of definitions of unworthy life, such as, for example, incurable mental retardation or incurable feeblemindedness, but he did not hesitate to use the popular term “Ballastexistenzen,” that is, beings who are nothing but ballast that can be jettisoned. He also advanced a utilitarian argument, bemoaning the loss of “national resources” for “nonproductive purposes,” concluding that “it is a distressing idea that entire generations of nurses shall vegetate next to such empty human shells [leeren Menschenhülsen], many of who will live to be seventy years or even older.”'

The Origins of Nazi Genocide: From Euthanasia to the Final Solution

Posted by: Baillie at March 21, 2005 11:51 PM

Why is this Judge making Terri wait? Is he hoping she'll die first so he doesn't have to make a ruling?

Posted by: demonsurfer at March 21, 2005 11:55 PM

Baille,

that was a very interesting extract. The Nazi connection is one that must not be forgotten. Another connection is to seek out the writings of the philosopher Jeremy Bentham.

Posted by: Maggie at March 22, 2005 12:00 AM

Pray for Terri. I am so afraid that she may end up in irreversible coma or further brain damage because of starvation and dehydration, as what Dr. Hammesfahr said.

Posted by: Miranda at March 22, 2005 12:09 AM

"Didn't the Justice Department send federal marshals to take that little boy away from his mom's family in Florida, and send him to his dad in Cuba?"

Yeah. That was very different, however. Here's a challenge: try to figure out what the difference is. I think you'll find it's quite rewarding for one to find answers to one's own questions.

Posted by: jpe at March 22, 2005 12:17 AM

Yes ...Lorraine welcome aboard. I too have many years working with profoundly impaired populations that rely on augmented communication systems and adaptive devices and equipment. All of which I have not doubt what so ever , could help Terri emmensely! Problem is MIchael knows it to and is determined to keep Terri from progressing and making any improving from the way she is now(and has been for 15 years) He has forbidden ANY rehab or therapies at all since 1992.! When a nurse attempted to wedge a washcloth into Terri's contracted fists to keep the fingernails fromdigging in to her palms
(such a common OT practice)MIchael ripped out the washcloth and bellered , I said NO therapy! Can you believe this arrogant demon? THIS is the man the Florida Courts ga ve guardianship of Terri to...disgusting.
I can invision a remote control environmental command center designed for Terri , where she can open/clode her drapes, turn on/off the lights, turn on/off the TV(and change channels), turn on and off the radio, signal the nurses, oerate email and the net, turn the pages of a book on a big screen CTV screen and xpress common physical needs via electronic voice. Wouldn't that be wild.? Can you see her opening and closing the curtains..over and over , having a ball!? Yes my heart aches becaus there is sooo very much that is available today that Terri has NEVER had access too. And it is horribly abusive. It is so hard to see her in the condition she is in and to know that she could have it so much better. I have said it often...If Michael had pursued Terri's rehabilitative recovery with half of the determination and tneacity with which he had pursued her death, Terri would be be able to walk to Congress and give a speech on her own today ! Either MIchael is so ignorant that he does not know of all the options and opportunities out ther for here, or he knows and refuses to let her benefit from from ANYTHING that did not lead directly to her death. That has got to be against the law some way...it is so diabolical, cruel and unresonable.
I spoke with Mr Schindler a few years back on the phone and I too volunteered to provide care and edcuational therapy for Terri free...We both agreed that we had to first get Terri rid of MIchael as her Guardian. They have the evisdence now They need a judge who will listen to them.

Posted by: JoMarley at March 22, 2005 12:18 AM

Working in the medical profession for many years, we have seen many patients like Terry. It is an absolute outrage that they have taken a tube out that has been in many years. She obviously did not have a living will but the decision to keep her alive was made many years ago. If it is decided that the feeding tube will not be replaced, then will this set a new precedent for other people like Terry to have their feeding tube removed. Just because some family member SAYS this was the patient's wishes, if there is nothing in writing from the patient to back it up then how can they legally remove her feeding tube? Think about it - what if this was your child?

Posted by: Bob & Teresa in Pensacola at March 22, 2005 12:23 AM

Elka -
The sanctity of marriage is sacred just like the sanctity of life.
Statistics, unfortunately, show that more husbands kill their wives than parents kill their children.
And what's the divorce rate at in America again...?

Posted by: Raquel at March 22, 2005 12:46 AM

Bob & Teresa in Pensacola

don't bother responding to the troll

Posted by: Colin at March 22, 2005 12:47 AM

Elka,

The parents didn't have the tube put in, Michael did. Even though the nurses were feeding her by mouth at the time.

Posted by: Teri J at March 22, 2005 12:48 AM

Baillie
great post ! Pre Nazi Germany was able make gradual suble changes to public policy and gradually over time molded and changed German social perception of maqss executions becauise initally they began with the imperfect beings who they professed such pity tht 'mercy killings' became the common way of being kind to the disabled. And once convinced that the disabled were truly suffering and living wasted lives, large numbers of people even asked to die so to be put out of their misery, they had been cleverly convinced ! The killings led from of the severely disabled to feebelminded, to the weak, infirmed, the sick, the elderly and then to the genetically sub-normal. That is when The Nazi's grasp got into ethnic clensing and now anyone who was foreign, or of high intellect, or Jewish was considered unfit for German society. And the majority of people is know that the suffering were being given deaths with dignity...an once sanctioned by the masses...the Nazi's committed the holocaust slaughtering of Jews..and by now socierty was numb and complacent...and truly believed that it was right thing to do and was virtuous to eliminate these "lives unworthy of life" and "useless eaters" ....

right ot die, death with dignity, life unworthy of life, useless eaters. Sound familiar?..does vegetable, housplant and brain dead ring a bell....Terri is hardly the worst of the disabled, yet they would hold her as the example of a person in need of death....and the rediculous claims that she is not capable of feeling pain...oh my G-d ..the depths of their dehumanizing shaping of public opinion...Peter Singer even speaks of there being two conditions of life...being human and being a person. Infants are human , he says but they are not yet persons. It is wrong to dispose of persons but not wong to dispose of humans who have not yet become persons.
Remember when Michael spoke of Terri having died 15 years ago..and discribed her body as not being Terri "Terri is gone" Thus ...it is perfectly acceptable to do away with her ...because she is no longer a person to him...and he brought in Felos's handpicked Right to die experts to validate this. The murderous husband bands togethr with the death agenda euthasistists, to use Terri as their defenseles victim.. Yes as a Special educator I am very worried for the population of people that i have been trained to empower. Watching Terri put to death under the cloak of such oceans of lies..I am really fearful of our future and for our souls. The rationalizing of what constitutes an acceptable mercy killing will have jumped up 50 notches with the acceptance of Terrie's court death as the 'right thing to do'. Truthfuly, I am horrified. Appreciate this....

Posted by: JoMarley at March 22, 2005 1:00 AM

More likely than any kind of wholesale elimination of people because of ideology is that the right-to-die movement's ideas dovetail perfectly with the for-profit health care system and HMOs.

And we ALL ought to be scared of that.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at March 22, 2005 1:11 AM

I can't believe Judge Whittemore. What, does he intend to wait for Terri to die and then say, "Oh, well, I guess I don't have to decide whether or not to take this case"?

It is unbelievably disrespectful for this judge to see what Congress did over the weekend in order to quickly save Terri and then take his sweet time in deciding whether or not he'll take this case. If he's so sure that Terri wanted to die then he should take the case and prove it to the rest of us.

Posted by: JWL at March 22, 2005 1:29 AM

Congress was very well aware of how long it would take any appointed judge to make a decision for the hearing that took place today.

As others have pointed out, this isn't anything that can be decided on a whim.

The intent was to give the family a new avenue to try and have a court rule in their favour. Noone in congress is risking their hide to offer or make any sort of claim that a federal judge would decide in the parents' favour.

Posted by: Vanessa at March 22, 2005 2:32 AM

It amazes me that the statement by President Bush about "if there is any question you must err on the side of life" has been practically swept aside.

There are all kinds of questions! So where is the decision for life? Have the case reviewed in it's entirety and see the inconsistencies. Leagaleez is part of what helped creat this problem. Don't condemn this woman because of law interpretation. The law has to protect the inocent.

It really isn't possible is it, that Michael Schiavo's behavior, demenour, neglect of is wife and transparent manipulations of the system could slide under the radar of those who can make him accountable? The great, noble and selfless Michael Schiavo! This snow job can't be convincing anyone not PVS!

Posted by: imdll at March 22, 2005 2:37 AM

Again! I cannot believe this is being freaking DEBATED!!! Where's the debate??? A woman's being put to death by the government on hearsay by a questionable witness! HELLOOOOO!!!!

This could happen to ANY of us if Terri is allowed to die! This AIN'T no "left vs. right" issue either, to those of y'all into that sorta thing. Jesus H. Christ... I'm sick to my stomache and have been for days over this.

End the debate and STOP Terri's brutal murder NOW.

Posted by: airtroop at March 22, 2005 2:39 AM

There is Michael's lawyer saying that all "reputable doctors agree" about Terri's condition. "To believe otherwise is simply deluded".

So let me get this straight. All of the board certified practicing physicians that disagree with Terri's current diagnosis, which was based on minimal examination and minimal technological testing because according to one physician it wasn't necessary, even though any truly reputable neurologist would agree that PVS is terribly difficult to diagnose even under the most ideal circumstances, those who won't step in line blindly are deluded?!

These guys are remarkable! They can twist and manipulate anything! Truly amazing!

No folks, deluded are those who believe blindly the garbage spewing forth out of your mouths instead of reading the documentation that proves just how cold, callus and manupulative you are!

Posted by: imdll at March 22, 2005 2:54 AM

I agree, JWL.

Terry is suffering right now, this very minute. This is so wrong, just so very wrong.

It was actually more of a rhetorical question, JPE. Of course, there are many differences, even a few that I'm aware of.

God bless.

Pray without ceasing.

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 22, 2005 3:04 AM

My early prayers concerning Terri were not for a miracle from God because, at that time I thought that type of intervention was not necessary. My prayers, now, have changed dramatically. I now ask God for a miracle that will stop the murder of Terri. After spending frequent times alone with God in prayer (which includes searching my heart for any sin that may hinder my petitions), I boldly plead that the God will untie Terri's tongue so that she can speak for herself; and that God will cause Michael to just walk away leaving Mr. and Mrs. Schindler as Terri's guardians.

Posted by: Mary Ann R. at March 22, 2005 3:30 AM

Why do you all care so much about Terri? None of you have met her, or the husband yet you pass judgment and then act righteous. If you want to feel better about yourselves there are many things that you can do other than getting involved in a private affair. Re-read the bible please, God will judge, not you.

Posted by: Marmoset at March 22, 2005 4:29 AM

Before I am being called a troll or people claim a don't support Terri, I will state that I definately do support her right to live. However, I see my role to explain some of the legal issues in order not let the passions go in way which are extreme and unsustainable, and therefore make Terri's supporters look like nuts (but then again most sane people who state a morally right opinion are portrait as nuts ;-) )

Concerning pardon: Pres. Bush can not issue a pardon, because a pardon is reserved to the criminal justice system. A president can pardon someone who has committed a crime and therein relieve that person from punishment (or mitigate it, i.e shorten sentence or convert capital punishment into a prison sentence).

Terri has not committed a crime, she has not been convicted of one, and has no punishmen t by the criminal justice system. Therefore a pardon is not possible.

The legal challenges are in fact civil litegation (given in a very complicated manner, with multiple different parties). Government can not intervene in civil litegation except by passing laws that are the basis of this litegation.

Concerning executive orders: Pres. Bush as well as Gov. Bush can release an executive order, but they would still be within the legal system. Legislature can overrule executive orders by passing a bill, Judges can overrule an executive order because it violates a law that would override an executive order and/or the constitutional rights.

In the US constitutional system the judiciary has the last word in these issues, because judges are supposed to be neutral and without political activism (I know, that is unfortunately not the case). Other constitutions have different power arrangement. In the UK i.e Parliament could pass a bill ordering Terri being fed (for that matter, UK Parliament could pass a law ordering all firstborn being killed, and it would be a valid law, the question is who would enforce it though) but the US constitution is different and here a court has the last decision.

This means Florida legislature as well as Congress can pass a lot of bills concerning Terri, it will not help if there are constitutional problems with it. Which leads back to the judges. The judge must make a decision and *include* Terri's constitutional right to live and being fed. This is in my opinion the tragedy. If we would have King Solomon has judge (remember the case about the baby), he would give guardianship to Terri's parents, because at the end they show that they care by everything they do, her so-called husband has already buried her. If judges would start to go back and read the Constitution as simple as it is, the case would be already resolved years ago.

This may explain the difficult issue the Federal Judge is in now. The bill by Congress will in history probably be seen as unconstitutional, because it violates several technicalities in which Congress has overstepped their powers. However, the judge needs to get the wisdom to see, that his jurisdiction does not come from Congress but from the Constitution itself. And hopefully he will take in on and not be overturned by other activist judges up the foodchain (as the Florida Supreme Court has done previously).

Let pray for a divine interdiction for the judge.

Posted by: lawfan at March 22, 2005 4:56 AM

How is it that there can be so many people willing to turn their backs on those dependent upon them for thier care? This is not a private matter any more than a parent who abuses their child is a private matter! Those who can not defend themselves look to those who can to stand up for them.

The consistent disregard for the law by both Michael Schiavo and Judge Greer should be alarming to all, no matter what your personal beliefs on this case. What is the point of having laws if some people are more equal than others. If the law doesn't apply to all of us and can instead be selectively ignored what does the future hold?

Posted by: imdll at March 22, 2005 5:01 AM

How can this judge eat and sleep when someone's life is dependent on his decision and the person is helpless.

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 6:49 AM

What better week to see a great miracle from God than on Easter Week, the holiest week of the year. Everyone pray that Jesus will intercede. Terri needs to speak.

Posted by: Sandy at March 22, 2005 8:51 AM

Sandy I am in agreement with you in that prayer. I too am prayign that she suddenly call out for help or food while someone credible (not her abuser) is in with her.

Watch the interview with Carla Iyer, her RN

Posted by: sujata at March 22, 2005 9:11 AM

i think michel schiavo is nothing but another scott peterson.While he portrays himself as this loving caring husbant trying to carry out her whish what he's actualy doing is fighting to protect this image. His afraid of the truth. I think he is a pathological liar. I don't understand why nobody had questioned his integrity? Is he telling the truth? then what if not? She never had a proper legal protection, her parents are not listened to the way they should be the courts care more about what what he has to say then the fact that a helpless woman is starved to death unheard.Question him america. don't let him get away with this. To me he's just another scott peterson. He has spent more money on lawyers to help him starv her to death then on medical care. It's a same! This is my opinion I might be wrong as well but I have a feeling that hi's battles in courts are not for Terry asa he said but to hide the truth. My heart goes out to Terry and her family.

Posted by: maria at March 22, 2005 4:41 PM