« Runaway Judiciary | Main | Greer Denies one Petition, Considers Another »

March 24, 2005

Felos: Schindlers' Time 'Better Served in Reflection,'

Topics:

Who is George Felos to tell Terri's parents how they should act when their daughter is being starved and dehydrated to death? I'm a calm and reasonable man, but if that was my daughter - they'd have to kill me to keep me from caring for her. For a man to have left his wife for another woman, have children with that woman, and then be allowed to continue as her guardian, is insanity. Add to that insanity, the fact that the judge in this case has chosen to not only remove Terri's feeding tube, but to also take the extraordinary step of ordering that no person shall provide Terri food or water by mouth.

What is the harm in trying? What is the harm in conducting modern imaging studies and having a sophisticated multidisciplinary team evaluate Terri for possible rehabilitation? Instead, Judge George Greer has simply condemned Terri to die for the crime of being disabled, on the basis of heresay evidence.

- CNSNews.com

"As the situation stands now, absent a kidnapping, Terri Schiavo is going to remain in hospice," the attorney for Michael Schiavo said Thursday morning, after the U.S. Supreme Court again refused to intervene in the case.

Attorney George Felos also urged Terri's parents to end their legal quest to keep their daughter alive: "I think their time would be better served in reflection," Felos told a press conference.

The U.S. Supreme Court dashed the last best hope of the Schindler family at 10:25 on Thursday morning, by denying an application for a stay that would have allowed reinsertion of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube while the case received a new hearing.

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy (who handles appeals from the 11th Circuit) brought the matter to all of his colleagues, and the full court decided to reject the family's appeal. The brief Supreme Court order does not indicate whether the decision was unanimous or whether it was split.

Terri's supporters, who were gathered outside her hospice, greeted the news by praying that Gov. Jeb Bush would find a way to intervene. Bobby Schindler told Fox News that his family was "extremely disappointed" with the Supreme Court ruling and he again described the torment of watching Terri starve to death.

But George Felos, the attorney for Michael Shiavo, said it saddens him that Michael Schiavo has had to keep running to the courts to protect Terri from government "abuse."

"I think it should become obvious to everyone...that the entire judicial system of the US...has said this case must end. This case is over," Felos said. "Mrs. Schiavo's legal rights have been ruled on again and again and again. The courts have consistently found that she did not want to remain alive artificially. Her wishes should be carried out. And in that spirit, I hope that the parents do not keep pursing fruitless legal options to the end."

Felos was particularly critical of the Florida's executive branch. "The real governmental abuse here is the action of the Department [of Children and Families] and the government in trying to avoid and circumvent valid court orders," he said.

He called it "revolting" that the state government has been used in such a way.

Felos called for people to move into Easter weekend in a "frame of contemplation. I think if there's anything Mrs. Schiavo would want -- she would want that."

If I were the Schindlers, I'm afraid that I would be very inclined in telling Mr Felos and Michael Schiavo - exactly where to go!

Posted by richard at March 24, 2005 12:57 PM

Articles Related to :

Comments

George Felos is one condescending pathetic excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 24, 2005 1:31 PM

I hate to bring up more dark thoughts to all of this, but I am worrying about this - are they doping Terri up on morphine as well as starving her? Oh, I am praying for her rescue!

Posted by: darjeelingirl at March 24, 2005 1:32 PM

According to Mark Taylor, who is filling in on the Dennis Prager show this morning, Terri is not being given any morphine or other pain medication.

Posted by: Mary in LA at March 24, 2005 1:37 PM

The Mouth of Sauron speaketh.

Posted by: Baillie at March 24, 2005 1:45 PM

Utterly and completely unbelievable! I assume that he said this with a straight face, of course after the camera was turned off he was seen dancing a jig and uncontolably screeching "hee hee hee hee hee hee..."

For a bit of all too close to home satire on "King George I" (Greer) visit Scrapple Face at

Posted by: Tom Spence at March 24, 2005 1:53 PM

I heard Pelos' press conference, and found his condescending nature and obvious lack of normal human emotions simply appalling.

It's really difficult to remain positive while knowing that it will be Judge Greer who will hear this next, and possibly last, round in this case. His seemingly consistent alignment with Michael Schiavo over the years is of great concern to me.

Terri and the Schindlers have been in my thoughts and prayers for quite some time now. As I was reflecting on this whole situation today, the stark reality that Terri could very well die at any time without nourishment being restored hit me hard. We are coming up on Easter weekend. I cannot help but be suspicious of the timing in this matter. One last way for Michael to be in control. If Terri should die tomorrow, or Sunday, then that is just one more thing that he, his attorneys, and Judge Greer have done to the Schindlers......ruin Good Friday, Easter, this holy and celebratory weekend for them, forever.

This is my first time here. Terri's case has haunted me since first learning of it 2 or 3 years ago. I do not trust her bigamist "husband", and can only be suspicious of his motives for not wanting rehabilitation that might help Terri speak, for his persistence in wanting her killed, and for his plan to have her immediately cremated upon death. I've read quite a bit of info concerning his attorney, Pelos, and everything I've read seems to suggest that he is very involved in promoting the "right to die", so I'm not really surprised at his heartless ranting. What is bothering me is....WHY is Judge Greer SO aligned, and I mean so obviously aligned, with Schiavo? I don't live in Florida, and obviously don't know his background and connections. Unless he has some agenda, then I truly believe that he should recuse himself from this case to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest. But after reading the "timeline" at terrisfight.org, I have to say that I don't foresee him giving up this "power and control trip" that he and Michael have both demonstrated. WHAT is the deal here? I personally don't think that Pelos and Michael Schiavo have a conscience......but the Judge????? I've read that he is a "fair, honest, and conservative" Justice......wow, it doesn't seem that way to me at all.

As an aside....another staff member from the Hospice was allegedly fired yesterday or the day before. I honestly wonder WHAT would happen if Terri suddenly blurted out "Hey, I'm thirsty and hungry, get me something to eat and drink!" Would that ever even be reported to anyone???? I think that the Hospice and Michael would keep that quiet.......and since Michael has so much "hold" over this Hospice (it seems), even the staff would probably never report that to anyone for fear of losing their jobs. And most frightening of all......IF Terri were to speak these words to the Schindlers, I think it's a pretty sure bet that the Court would simply dismiss the information.

Something is very wrong with this whole case, in my opinion.

Posted by: greta at March 24, 2005 2:23 PM

This is really unbelievable that other people can decide the fate of another persons life. I understand that there was no living will, and most of the actions are taken based on her husbands words. For someone to move on and start a new life with another woman lets me to believe he does not want anything more to do with this. If Terri's husband wants to move, he needs to sign over guardianship to her parents and get the divorce. These people raised this woman, and gave her life, if anyone should have a say in anything it should be them. If that was my wife, I would still be by her side. I would do whatever it takes to make sure she is comfortable and getting the best possible treatment. Before I would let anyone pull the tubes from my wife to watch her die in misery, I would exhaust every resource I had. The movie JohnQ comes to mind, it is one of those things that those without the funds are power are helpless. We are all praying for Terri and we are hoping for the best and that someone with guts will make a stand and let this woman live. What has she done to everyone else that would make you want to watch her die. It is not like she is threat to anyone, this is very loving human being with a spirit. And if nothing is done about this matter, all those involved in the decision of removing the feeding tube, just remember what comes around goes around. Thank you and god bless you Terri and her family. We are all praying for you.

Posted by: TravisG at March 24, 2005 2:24 PM