« Medical Attorney Andrew Schlafly Says Federal Court Decision in Schiavo Case Ripe to be Overturned | Main | BlogsforTerri in Today's News »

March 23, 2005

BREAKING: COURT RULES AGAINST TERRI

THE COURT HAS RULED AGAINST REINSERTING THE FEEDING TUBE.

Reported on a Fox News Alert. Details:

ATLANTA (AP) -- A federal appeals court refused early Wednesday to order the reinsertion of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, denying an emergency request by the severely brain-damaged woman's parents.

The three-judge panel ruled 2-1 to deny the request, a day after a federal judge in Florida also refused a similar appeal.

Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, vowed yet another appeal Wednesday.

"The Schindlers will be filing an appropriate appeal to save their daughter's life," said Rex Sparklin, an attorney with the law firm representing the parents.

Update: Associated Press Article

Posted by beth at March 23, 2005 2:36 AM

Comments

www.helpterri.com has quick emails to send in bulk that are editable and phone numbers also for both State and Federal legislators.

You don't have to agree to receive any emails from the sponsoring group either

Posted by: I hope at March 23, 2005 2:42 AM

Hold on Terri...Hold On Hang tough Schindler family...we are with you.

Posted by: Crystal Clear at March 23, 2005 2:44 AM

My God, what cowards. Everybody's so afraid of one helpless disabled woman. The shame of it. The mighty United States brought to a constitutional crisis over one bedridden woman who is owned like an animal by one evil massa-husband.

All our big talk and blood spilled in Iraq in the name of "Freedom" mean NOTHING.

Posted by: Suzanne. at March 23, 2005 2:48 AM

Welcome to Iran, folks:

Posted by: Ann Brown at March 23, 2005 2:50 AM

Iran is ruled by judges. Their president and congress are powerless.

The United States is ruled by judges. Their president and congress are powerless.

Posted by: Ann Brown at March 23, 2005 2:51 AM

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever witnessed... and that's SAYING something! God Bless Terri and her civil right to life! I'm not accepting hearsay by a questionable "witness" to be enough to euthanize her.

Posted by: GunTotingLib at March 23, 2005 2:53 AM

To get to that dallasnews item, use

email: marketing@dallasnews.com
password: dallasnews

[Link: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/wfaa050323_wz_schiavo.165c97114.html

Thanks, OvertOther -Beth/Admin]

Posted by: OvertOther at March 23, 2005 2:56 AM

This is just awful...the US Supreme Court won't stop it so she's going to die. God Bless her.

Posted by: MikeKS at March 23, 2005 2:57 AM

Welcome to the new state attraction:

Florida Death Camps.

Pray without ceasing.

Posted by: I hope at March 23, 2005 2:58 AM

MikeKS: why do you say the the US Supreme Court won't take this? They've refused in the past, but now they have been granted jurusdiction, no?

Posted by: OvertOther at March 23, 2005 3:02 AM

CNN is using CNN Europe/International right now on their american station to cover this breaking news, and the just had an ethicist from The Centre for Bioethics and Public Policy, and he has just advocated many of the points that have been made on this blog. Why will they only show this at 3:10am and only when ther is noone to broadcast from Atlanta.

Posted by: Colin at March 23, 2005 3:21 AM

PRAY PRAY PRAY! WE ARE ALL BELIEVERS AS TERRIS IS AND SO IS HER PARENTS! THERE IS POWER IN PRAYER AND ULTIMATLEY THIS IS IN GODS HANDS, IT IS HIS WILL AND PLAN FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS. PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY

Posted by: Jennifer at March 23, 2005 3:30 AM

This is the most upsetting thing that I think this country is going through. I am a very liberal democrat who is pro-choice. While many people may think that is wrong, it is my belief. I wish that someone could smash into the brains of these judges that taking someone's feeding tube out is nothing but pure MURDER! If this were a parent wanting the feeding tube taken out they would be arrested! I think that Michael Schiavo should be arrested for what kind of a person he is. He is a murderer and should be going through the same hell Terri is.

I am a college graduate in Speech Therapy and the fact is that with the proper services that Terri could be speaking and/or swallowing. This woman has the potential to be thriving. She may never be normal but she could thrive in her parents care.

Michael Schiavo should do the world a favor and take himself out of it. He is going to hell. And if I ever saw him I would spit on him.

Someone who says they do not want to be on life support is completely different than someone being hooked up to a feeding tube.

Keep fighting for Terri. She needs all the prayers and help she can get. And if God forbid she passes, I know without any doubt in my mind that she will be in heaven. My prayers are with those that support this issue and the Schindler family during this horrible time.

Posted by: Meghan at March 23, 2005 3:34 AM

The judge appointed by Bush Sr. ruled against tube reconnection! It was Wilson (Clinton apointee) who dissented. Wow.

Posted by: OvertOther at March 23, 2005 3:57 AM

Read page 5 of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decision (http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200511556.pdf) -- the main person we have to blame here is Senator Frist. He backed down when he met opposition from one Deathocrat in the Senate and let the court weasel out of of saving Terri.

Posted by: trash at March 23, 2005 4:00 AM

(Your closing parenthesis messed up the URL).

Posted by: OvertOther at March 23, 2005 4:02 AM

Because of the increase of humanism and moral relativism and the decades long erosion of our society's value on life, our judicial system (being a reflection of what is just in society) has essentially become an advocate for death.

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 23, 2005 7:16 AM

Dear Meghan,

I am also a liberal Democrat. I was pro-choice for a while, but now I'm pro-life.

Welcome, and God bless for your help.

I'm anxious to read the lone dissent. I'm assuming it's on the link that you guys have posted.

It's only 6:40 am here in Wisconsin. What time time do you think the legislators will be in their offices in Florida?

What else should we be doing, besides praying and contacting those Florida legislators?

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 23, 2005 7:41 AM

Suzanne,

Yes, I agree, and thanks for your post.

I know this is an idiotic question, but, I want to be able to find my previous posts, to see if anybody has answered a question or responded.

I don't want to waste time just poking around the site, because that's time I should be using for Terry. Is there an easier way to find the "comments" on each separate article?

Is there a technical FAQ somewhere? I don't know what "trackback" means, either, or "TypeKey Identity".

I would like to add, that, even when I was "pro-choice", I still disapproved of "partial-birth" abortion. I was pretending to be an atheist at the time, yet, I was still horrified and repulsed by that.

My 13 year-old son keeps telling me he'd like to rush the hospice with a machine gun, and get Terry out of there. (No, he doesn't have a machine gun.)

God bless.

Posted by: Diana Goodavage at March 23, 2005 7:51 AM

the lone dissent is on the 11th circuit website. just google it...and youll find it by digging a little

Posted by: MikeKS at March 23, 2005 8:02 AM

You people are all insane. Or illiterate. Can't you read?
“Culture of Life” Politics at the Bedside —
The Case of Terri Schiavo
George J. Annas, J.D., M.P.H.
Terri Schiavo — A Tragedy Compounded
Timothy E. Quill, M.D.
That makes 20 judges involved in this case. All rulings are against the Schindlers. These can't all be tyrants with an evil agenda. Read the facts! Don't you want to "know your enemy", to see what they based their rulings on?

Posted by: amy at March 23, 2005 8:14 AM

Santa Claus and carollers who were visiting every room in that hospice last Christmas were stopped from entering Terri's room and her door was shut. What on earth could warrant this?

Posted by: sujata at March 23, 2005 8:21 AM

Oh goodness... Amy, the thing is that not all evidence has been presented and investigated, especially concerning Michael's guardianship. I strongly believe if it WERE fully investigated, Michael would be found as being unfit. Therefore all his claims would be null and void and Terri could have a REAL chance at life instead of being denied fresh air (and food and water...)

Posted by: Amy at March 23, 2005 8:32 AM

I am absolutely shocked. Not at the ruling, I fully expected that. I am shocked that the Florida division of the ACLU praised the ruling. Had this been one of the Iraqi prisoners, they'd be screaming "FOUL" all the way to the Supreme Court.

I agree that the courts shouldn't be involved. They've ruled the way that they have to rule because of the way the law is set up, even though the laws are set up to protect someone who's wishes have been made the 'right' way - via attorney or living will. The only reason the courts have had to get involved is because of Michael Schiavo's insistence that he is carrying out his wife's wishes. I doubt anyone "wishes" to starve to death.

As always, I take comfort in the fact that no matter how human intervention and road blocking there is, God will call Terri home when He feels it is appropriate. One side or the other may claim victory when this is all said and done, but it's not anyone's victory but God's when one of His believers comes home. I pray that God will comfort the Schindlers with this faith and hope as well.

God be with us all.

Posted by: Rebecca at March 23, 2005 8:39 AM

Ugh..should be WHOSE not WHO'S.

I actually was an English major!

Posted by: Rebecca at March 23, 2005 8:40 AM

OK then. Prepare yourselves, the supremes will rule against the Schindlers before days end.

Posted by: amy at March 23, 2005 8:42 AM

On my way home yesterday I was listening to NPR. What struck me was a very good feature from a woman who councils people on a daily basis dealing with this type of situation. What really struck me was what she said at the end. What she doesn't understand is why this is even a national debate. This is a situation for both sides of the family to deal with, and unless you are in the same situation, you really have no authority to speak.

No matter what side of the story you believe, perhaps it is time to start coping with the fact...she is going to pass on. The Supreme Court does have the jurisdiction to look at the case this time, but considering they wouldn't touch it in the past, I feel they probably won't look at it this time either.

It's time to put this issue to bed. When I think about it, as a country we have all been a little selfish here. Those of us who want her to live, want her to live because we think she is somehow capable of living a fulfilled live. Those of us who want her to die, want her to die because we think she is essentially already dead. Those of us who want her to live are basing their opinion based on the Schindler's side of the story. Those of us who want her to die, want her to die based on the facts of Michael Schiavo's side of the story.

As it now stands, all the judges in this case have ruled based on the facts presented by boths side. Think about that for a minute. These are judges who are unbiased, and there job is to take the facts presented before them to come up with a decision. They cannot base their judgement on the morality of the situation. That would cause biased decisions all over the country, something none of us want.

WIth that said, I'm done. It is time to move on and remember that I have my own family who needs my love and support at all times.

Posted by: Sarah at March 23, 2005 8:58 AM

Rebecca - I love your comments! Please don't be so hard on yourself.

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 23, 2005 9:12 AM

Amy. Stop now. Michael Schiavo's actions have nothing to do with whether terri has been diagnosed correctly, her possiblity of recovery, or the legal history of the case, reinforced by the rulings in Curzon and Quinlan. He may be guilty as sin but that has no effect on the current case.

Posted by: amy at March 23, 2005 9:12 AM

Sarah Scantlin wakes up after 20 years in coma, 2 months later they want to starve Terri.

Judges - they are playing a politcal game, it is executive vs. judicial branches now

I am waiting to see the day when Michael Schiavo will be groveling for mercy. It will happen.

Posted by: sujata at March 23, 2005 9:15 AM

Lower case a amy...

So, basically, even if Michael Schiavo (or any husband) put his wife in that condition in the first place, he still should have the right to say she dies?

Again, let's be sure to tell all domestic violence victims and their families that there's really nothing they can do because their husbands have the RIGHT.

How Asinine.

Posted by: Rebecca at March 23, 2005 9:24 AM

Sarah--I am in complete agreement with your 8:58 a.m. post.

After looking at the facts of the case for years, a conclusion has been reached.

This case has only recently garnered extensive national (and international) media attention. There is a very strong appeal to emotion in the Schindlers' pleas. I feel pity for them because they are being exploited by folks who don't have their best interests at heart. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Michael Schiavo's personal life and the decisions he has made, we need to remember that this is painful and difficult for all members of her family. It is ridiculous to try to demonize one side or the other. Obviously, all parties are acting in what they believe to be Terri's best interest; they happen to disagree.

I have not once heard the Schindlers argue that Terri ever expressed her end-of-life wishes to them. They are speculating and projecting their personal desires onto her. Conversely, Terri's husband and close friends have testified that she would not want to be artificially kept alive.

I find it peculiar that the folks who are so adamant about preserving Terri's life are typically Christians. It seems to me that allowing nature to take its course, rather than intrusively preserving the body of a woman whose consciousness has long since passed would be a stance that many Christians would support. I wonder how far some of you believe we should go in prserving life. Should we always preserve life, using whatever available technological means become available? If so, I believe that to be an extremely dangerous precedent, since technology is advancing so quickly. Are technologies that preserve the body of a person who is without a cerebral cortex (which cannot come back, ever, mind you) productive technologies? If left up to God, Terri would die.

I am absolutely NOT trying to start an arguement with anyone posting here. I'm only trying to offer my opinion on this situation. I have my personal opinion, and you have yours, and the US Congress has its opinion. The bottom line is that Terri is not a part of our lives. She is a part of the lives of her family (all of her family). This is a case that has been mediated and litigated to death (pardon my wording). For those of you from Florida, as I am, you are aware of this.

I have found that the best way to look at the situation and make a value judgement is to try to put myself in the shoes of each interested party. The Schindlers, Michael, Terri, and imagine how I would feel. That is what I base my personal opinion on.

But my personal opinion means nothing.

And it shouldn't mean anything in this case.

Yesterday morning, as I was walking in to work, I saw a woman holding a sign that read "Have mercy on Terri."

I agree with her sign, but I am quite certain that she and I do not mean the same thing when we make that statement.

Have mercy on Terri. Let her body die. Her brain has gone--clearly. Comparing her to a cerebral palsy patient is disingenuous. Folks on my "side" of this issue don't want to start offing disabled people. Hateful mischaracterizations like that only fuel the anger that is flying back and forth among American citizens surrounding the case.

Terri's cerebral cortex is spinal fluid now. Her brain has deteriorated to the point that she is not aware, does not speak, moves her body and makes noises due to primitive brain function, and will not ever really be "with us" again.

For those of you who believe that we are more than simply flesh and bone and brain and nerves, why would you want to preserve the broken body tied to Terri's soul? Do you not feel that her soul is in limbo, since she is unaware and unable to interact with her surroundings? If you do not believe that she will die but that she will have eternal life, why would you be averse to letting her body pass from life naturally?

I have a lot of questions about opinions surrounding this case--philisophical questions, legal questions, emotional questions. We should ask one another these questions and not berate one another for our opinions and inquiries.

I apologize if anything I have said offends any of you. That is certainly not my intent. It's just that every time someone presents you with documentary evidence, you dispell it and say that the person is blinded by poor media coverage. In my opinion, that is a shoddy debate tactic.

The US congress has no place in this.

I have no place in this, aside from discussing it with you fine folks and trying to understand your point of view.

Terri's entire family has fought this out in courts for years and finally, some resolution is coming to the situation. I hope that once Terri dies, her parents are able to cope with it and move on. I wish them the best.

Posted by: mina at March 23, 2005 9:38 AM

I went to church last night and cried and cried and cried. My heart is breaking. And it's not just about Terri. This is about so much more than just Terri; this is about how the greatest country in the world is succumbing to the greatest Evil imaginable.

Oh, I know that there have been 20 Judges who have ruled against Terri. All these wonderful people who believe so strongly that her rights have not been violated; on what basis do they make their decisions? On michael shitavo's hearsay!

Once Terri dies, her pain and suffering will end, she will be wrapped in the arms of her Savior and all her difficulties will be past; her soul will be free.

So, what happens when Terri is free? Her family and friends will live the rest of their lives remembering how she was tortured. They will see that the USA has placed a higher value on the life of cows and dogs than on a disabled woman. They will remember forever, michael shitavo saying "when is that B*t#h gonna die?"

When Terri dies, we will have to look at how the culture of death has taken away any value of life. We will all have to look at our courts--the vestiges of freedom for the Terrorists who Hate us and the vestiges of freedom for the Murderers among us and wonder how they ever became God? How did our courts fail us so badly that they allowed an adulterous husband to murder his wife. Hell, they didn't allow it, they ORDERED it. Hell--that's where the judges in our courts are now getting their sense of (in)justice.

When Terri dies, michael shitavo will go marry his fiance jodi senselezzoni and "live" happily ever after.

When Terri dies, george feel-less will go find the next victim who must be tortured to death.

When Terri dies, george feel-less and michael shitavo will be asked by MSM outlets to "tell their story" They will be paid millions to talk about their "difficult and trying time" when they fought to ensure Terri's wishes were upheld.

When Terri dies, we will have entered the depths of Hell as a Nation. Sodom and Gomorrah had greater morals than we, the formerly Judeo-Christian USA currently have.

When michael dies, he will face a JUDGE who will not take his campaign contributions. He will see for himself, that inspite of his assertions that he was doing the "right" thing, he has offended the heart of the most RIGHTOUS JUDGE. When michael dies, he will be JUDGED.

When george feel-less dies, he will face a JUDGE who does not believe in a person's RIGHT TO DIE. He will face a JUDGE who in true JUSTICE will allow him to face eternal death. When george dies, he will realize that the 45 years he fought on earth to murder the unworthy, are a second in time compared to the eternity after death. And for those like feel-less, who believe life has value for some, and not for others, they will find a special place for the truly UNWORTHY.

When BTK greer dies, he will find a JUDGE who does not appreciate others playing JUDGE. He will find the King of JUSTICE Judging him for his lack of justice. BTK is in hiding; the whimp of a huMAN didn't have the guts to face the woman who he condemned to torture and death. When BTK dies, he will (hopefully) be JUDGED as he judged; he will find that "his personal Lord and SAVIOR" died so all will LIVE. When BTK greer dies, I hope he's given the opportunity to face Terri who has a beautiful soul. I hope her beauty "kills" the ugliness and pride of greer's unworthy soul. When BTK greer dies, I hope he meets his hero, Adolph Hitler and they can commiserate on their pathetic attempts to create the perfect race.

When judge whitemore dies, he will also be JUDGED on the "evidence" of his life. His JUDGE will look at the pathetic person he was and determine whether he has any chance of SUCCESS in a higher court. OH darn...judge whitmore, there is NO HIGHER COURT. The SUPREME COURT is staffed by ONE SUPREME JUDGE; but if you are lucky, you may have an opportunity to a "jury". But, the KING JUDGE imposes JUSTICE; He doesn't have to allow a jury.

I could go on and on and on...but I won't. I'm just confident that although the powers of Hell are now ruling our US Courts, the only COURT that matters has jurisdiction over the same powers of Hell.....

goodbye injustice. Terri, Heaven is waiting to welcome you with open arms.

Posted by: Tress at March 23, 2005 9:52 AM

amy, Michael Schiavo is pertinant to the case. It is his team of doctors that have claimed Terri is PVS. It is his will that medical records of Terri be blocked. It is his say, whether honest or not, of what Terri's wishes were. It's all about Michael. What about those doctors who disagree with Mr. Schiavo's team? Should that not be considered? Shouldn't Terri's medical history be admissible, especially if Michael Schiavo's guardianship is being questioned? Everything ties together. Terri's death is based upon Michael's wishes. I don't know how I can make this clear to you-- if Michael Schiavo's behavior SHOULD be pertinent to the case. He is disregarding any testimony that goes against what HE wants. Again, numerous doctors have sworn Terri si NOT PVS and COULD BE HELPED with therapy... Michael has ignored them and withheld any and all therapies and comforts. He's setting his wife up for death. I believe that he didn't even CLAIM that Terri wouldn't want to be in that state until the later 1990's.
What it seems to be boiling down to is, at this point Michael's word is LAW. It matters not what any experts say about Terri, what her diagnosis is, the circumstances around her state. Terri doesn't matter. Michael does. So let's say Terri dies, and later on, somehow Michael gets investigated and it's shown that he lied in court, lied about Terri's wishes, abuse allegations were brought forth, blah blah whatever. By then, it's too late, and Terri's already dead. Do you think this is the way things should be??? Do you now understand the outrage that I feel?

Posted by: Amy at March 23, 2005 9:53 AM

Actually, it is not merely his "team of doctors" who have diagnosed Terri as PVS.

In the original trial, the Scgindlers brought in two medical experts, Michael brought in two meidcal experts, and there was one independent medical expert. Michael's folks agreed with the independent expert on all the medical issues. The Schindlers' picks were found to be unreliable sources and their medical opinions were found to be suspect by the courts.

The legion of doctors who have supported the Schindlers' notion that Terri responds and reacts to her surroundings are largely doctors who have only seen heavily edited video footage of Terri. Out of hundreds of attempts for a response, if Terri's movements happen to coincide with thr stimuli, I fail to see how that is viewed as respinse and not coincidence.

I feel that the Schindlers are seeing things in Terri that are simply not there. I would probably do the same thing, when I really get to thinking about it.

It has to be very difficult to look into the open eyes of your daughter and NOT believe that she is in there looking back at you. The simple fact is, the parts of her brain that control cognition are simply no longer present.

I think it would be best for the Schindlers to try to understand better the medical situation rather than perpetually look for any means to continue their daughter's life.

Posted by: mina at March 23, 2005 10:05 AM

Once Terri's gone, who's next?

I don't know how many people are outraged by the neo-nazi teen's massacre Monday, but believe that Terri has the right to be starved?

The problem with this **society** is that we see nothing wrong with allowing all the violence and "free-expression" aimed at our kids, but we are appalled when these same kids massacre.

We place no value on the life of an imperfect woman, and praise her adulterous "husband" for standing up for her right to die.

We are appalled when our young soldiers are sent to Hell to fight for the lives of people who hate us, and when these same soldiers treat the terrorist animals like the animals they are, the soldiers are prosecuted!

We are appalled when we see someone starve an animal, yet the courts order the starvation of a less-than-perfect human being.

We glorify immorality on TV and criticize those who speak of moral values.

We refuse to speak out against deviant behavior and then critize when the deviants rape and/or murder our children.

Our system of (in)justice murders a handicapped woman because she cannot speak for herself, and the voice of the outraged is silenced by the evil of the courts.

And ironically, when the terrorists hit, and our country is attacked, we CRY to the very same GOD we ignored....WHY LORD? HOW COULD YOU LORD? WHERE ARE YOU LORD? I'm here in CHURCH. LORD! SAVE ME, LORD! And just like the Israelites of the Old Testament, God takes us back and loves us in spite of our sins....

The problem is, that GOD is getting angrier. We can only ignore HIM so long and when He vetts his WRATH, get out of HIS WAY! The SE Asia Tsunami can't even touch the punishment that God can inflict. And even if you don't believe in God, or his Wrath--it won't matter. You will learn that it is true. It is real. And it's coming.

I think it's time to change my bumper sticker on my car. It reads, "God Bless America."

I think it is more appropriate to have one that reads, "God, please don't UN-BLESS America".

**society** is meant as a generalization; not meant to accuse those who really do believe in morals and values and are suffering while they are being swept aside.

Links to stories of people who live to testify that the Just Judge is real:

For the athiests among us:

For Terri's bishop and other clergy who have forgotten who their lives are supposed to be about: http://www.frtommylane.com/homilies/year_c/lent3.htm

Posted by: Tress at March 23, 2005 10:34 AM

Is this man, matt davidson, smiling as he hands out the 11th Court's concurrent death warrant?

Posted by: Tress at March 23, 2005 10:42 AM

ohpie:

you are no Christian. Food and water are not unnatural--if they were, why do you need them?

Posted by: Tress at March 23, 2005 10:43 AM

For those of you who refuse to know the facts, I feel sorry for you. The mainstream media is NOT giving you the accurate story. The true medical facts are not being reported. Terri is NOT in a PVS, and is not dying. It's not denial, it's the truth. We are not naively fighting, we have researched both sides and believe the doctors on the Schindler's side and not Michael's. Michael has a conflict of interest. That alone should tell you something.

Posted by: Sirena at March 23, 2005 11:29 AM

Courts, and judges make mistakes... and if you look at all the facts, you will see that Terri has never been given all the chances she should for proper testing (those CAT scans were made close to 13 years ago) or rehabilitation. We simply think that she deserves no less. That is why we are fighting for her...

Posted by: Sirena at March 23, 2005 12:20 PM

Courts and judges make mistakes, yes. In this case, time and time again, judges are ruling against the Schindlers. It is not because those judges are bad, murderers, or biased toward a "culture of death" as many have suggested.

Like I said. I have looked at all the facts that are available to us. I have looked at the spin also and I have looked at the misrepresentations of facts. I am a very discerning person. You need to understand that ignorance of the facts in this case is not the only thing that might lead someone to make a different value judgement than the one you are making.

That's all.

I respect that you are fighting for what you think is right. Know that I too am fighting for what I think is right.

More power to the demonstrators. Civil disobedience has long been a positive force for change in society.

I realize that the CT scan we are seeing is very old. It could only be assumed that the cerebral cortex is even more damaged and deteriorated than it was in those scans--it does not "grow back."

I don't plan to post any more. I see that y'all are using this space to organize, support one another, and offer well-wishes; I will respect that. I have seen some nasty reactions to some of the other posters with dissenting views and I thank you for being kind to me while I was posting here. (: I have tried to remain "non-trolly" and productive in my discussion. My goal is only to try to better understand my opposition's perspective. Clearly all parties are interested in what is the most ethical, humane, and just course of action.

My main point is that calling us murderers will never be an effective strategy for changing our hearts and minds, as many of you wish to do.

I wish you all the peace and happiness in the world.

Posted by: mina at March 23, 2005 12:34 PM

Rebecca, Amy.
I am very sorry, but yes, Michael Schiavo gets to decide. The Schindlers made multiple attempts to remove him as terri's guardian. It is the law.

mina, you are right, i think. the apellation PVS is still on the Schindler's brief that was presented to Whittemore, because no physician can be found to refute it.
Whether or not anyone here believes that terri is in a PVS, is not relevent. The Courts believe it, it is on both sets of briefs, and the courts have never denied it or struck it down.
and the video tapes are heavily editted.

Posted by: amy at March 23, 2005 12:40 PM

i'm with mina.
But i have to say one more thing.
I always thought the right was on the side of open information, fact-checking and research, in the style of rathergate. I see that is not true any longer. People here have closed their minds to facts they disagree with, and prefer bloggers' editorial opinions to articles in medical journals. How can you help terri if you deliberately blind yourself to the truth? Where is your point of attack if all your weapons are urban ledgends, hearsay and quackery? You have failed because your partisanship has overcome your intellect.

This is no forum, but an echo-chamber.

[NO, AMY, it's not a forum. It's a Blogs FOR Terri site. Call it an echo chamber if you will, maybe we should require registration. This is for gathering facts on Terri and for finding ways to support the cause. If you want to do the death-chant and find the pro-death propaganda and quackery, Daily Kos is your place at the moment. Feel free to visit them, if you register at their site and are approved. --The Management]

Posted by: amy at March 23, 2005 12:49 PM

Management,

If you're going to collect "facts" - then collect FACTS, not urban legends, heresay, and quackery!

-------------------
["John" (a.k.a name-changer): That is quite obviously your own uneducated opinion. You no likey, take a hikey. --Beth / The Management™]

Posted by: John at March 23, 2005 1:25 PM

It's rather fitting that this case ends up in the united states supreme court.

The people of the united states will get a big eyeful on the breakdown of constitutional law the general concept of goverment corruption and the breakdown of the quality of mercy and compassion as which it was always a part of the american justice system and part of the american concience.

TERRI WILL DIE.

IT RIGHTLY WOULD GIVE BOTH BRANCHES OF GOVERMENT A WELL DESERVED BLACK EYE THAT EITHER POLITICIANS AND JUDGES WILL LIVE DOWN FOR A LONG TIME.

Posted by: mercury at March 24, 2005 8:43 AM