« Terri's feeding tube may be reinserted (Update) | Main | Feeding Tube Not Reinserted Yet »

March 21, 2005

Attorney General Gonzalez Asked To Intervene

This is directly from the Empire Journal:

A formal request has been made to the U.S. Attorney General to initiate an investigation into the alleged civil rights violations of Terri Schindler-Schiavo.

Email messages to Gonzalez may be sent to AskDOJ@usdoj.gov

Posted by powersthatblog at March 21, 2005 8:20 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Attorney General Gonzalez Asked To Intervene:

» Bush Signs Schiavo Bill, Case Goes to Federal Court from The Jawa Report
President Bush has signed a bill aimed at keeping Terri Schiavo alive. Bush signed the Bill at 1:11 a.m. after an extraordinary all night session of Congress. The bill gives federal jurisdiction in the case by Terri's parnets keep her... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 9:57 AM

» Court hearing at 3:00pm ET from Different River
From Blogs for Terri: There is a hearing scheduled in court today at 3:00 PM ET before Honorable Judge James D Whittemore in Tampa today for a restraining order to be placed on Judge Greer, Michael Schiavo and the Hospice of Florida Suncoast for d... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 11:09 AM

» BILL SIGNED from NIF
Today's dose of NIF - daily News, Interesting & Funny ... pray for Terri! [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 11:10 AM

Comments

I hope they find enough evidence to nail that schmuck husband to the wall!!!

Posted by: MoFiZiX Gr4FiX at March 21, 2005 9:19 AM

Even if Terri is in her current state because someone has strangled her at that time, it is virtually impossible to charge the indivual for that crime since it is very likely that in Florida exists a statute of limitation for all crimes except of murder, which by now is likely to have expired.

However, the refusal to give the necessary care to a disable person might be a crime that has been committed and is still in the statute of limitation.

Posted by: corruptioncrimebuster at March 21, 2005 9:40 AM

CCB:

You think that MS strangled her? I know there's some evidence that 'something' happened....I just don't know what it is.

Can you elaborate why you feel he strangled her?

BTW, I keep saying Michael Schiavo=Scott Peterson...

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2005 9:43 AM

I have no idea who might have strangled her or if that was even the case.

I am only reacting to the allegations and I am merely stating that even if this was the case, it would be difficult if not impossible to act on them because of the legal principle called statute of limitation.

Therefore while it would be interesting in a moral sense to shed light on this question, I doubt it would have any legal consequences.

Posted by: corruptioncrimebuster at March 21, 2005 9:52 AM

Good lord, people. Let the poor woman have some peace!!!!!!!! Obviously, god wants her with him or they wouldn't have to keep pumping artificial life into her. God didn't order the feeding tube. Terri's parents are the most selfish, despicable people I have EVER seen!

Posted by: You people are IDIOTS!! at March 21, 2005 9:53 AM

I want to take a moment to thank Blogs for Terri and all Boggers for your tireless research and information. I've had to be the voice and advocate for my brain damaged husband and I'm very moved at so many to be the voice for Terri.
As I take my husband this week to Sea World and Disneyworld, I will pray that Terri will be able to go someday soon too!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 9:57 AM

And what kind of "artificial life" did you pump into *your* body last night - steak? Pasta? Seafood?

As for Mr. Schiavo, Judge Greer, and Sheriff Rice, someone had better do some heavy investigating here. I smell something much deeper than an abusive husband and death-loving judge. I suspect they're covering up some illegal activity that perhaps Terri became aware of before she "accidently" became brain-damaged.

We'll see. But I've been known to be wrong, so who know?

Posted by: Toni Pacitti at March 21, 2005 10:00 AM

Dear 'You People Are Idiots'

It is obviously you don't have children, otherwise you would have understand how Terri's parents are feeling. They GAVE BIRTH to her, they raised her and loved her dearly...they KNEW her all their lives...and then Michael snatched her away from them and stubbornly refused to listen to their pleadings to take care of her at their own expenses, while insisting Terri should die no matter what. Michael wasn't married to her very long before her collapse, so he really didn't know what Terri truly wanted. :P And you haven't even met her parents, either. So I don't think Terri's parents are selfish nor despicable!

Posted by: Jane at March 21, 2005 10:01 AM

"YOU people are idiots"

She used to be able to be fed normally (1998) until MS forced (yes, forced) her to have feeding tube. The nurses had to sneak food to her out fear that MS would have them fired. He didn't want her better - he wanted her dead. The condition she's in today is MS's fault - entirely - from beginning to end.

Posted by: Virginia at March 21, 2005 10:15 AM

Well, I see that there is someone who is also mentally challenged here. If you live in Florida have no fear 'cause Florida will declare you with a terminal illness and we have a hospice you can waste at for free!

Posted by: Caryn at March 21, 2005 10:17 AM

please tell me how a person can FORCE a doctor to insert a feeding tube? go to your doctor a tell him you want a brain transplant and see what he says... looking at the videos of her, you tell me if she looks like she would be able to swallow a bolus of food.

Posted by: stephanie at March 21, 2005 10:56 AM

See now, there's a lot of "stuff" people aren't aware of in this case. I'm just going by nurse affidavits (2) stating that Terri could eat but Michael insisted she have a feeding tube (sounds like force to me) and that she not be fed normally or given any form of rehabilitation, including putting a wash cloth in her hands to prevent her hands from cramping up. She's illegally in a hospice meant for people with only 6 months to live that Felos had to resign from but is still financially tied to, and there are so many more unanswered questions, including why, all of a sudden, does MS say on Larry King Live he DIDN'T know what Terri wanted, but it's what "we" wanted - who's "we" because obviously it's not including Terri. Maybe he has a mouse in his pocket.

Posted by: Virginia at March 21, 2005 11:08 AM

We people are idiots, huh? It's so sad to see people who don't know what is, and has happened, make such judgements. Michael Schiavo is trying to play God here. He's the one in control and I'm sure he's enjoyed every minute of it. However, he's going to have to answer to the true God one of these days.

Posted by: Amy at March 21, 2005 12:31 PM

i think that it is Terri herself that has to suffer while all of us are arguing over her. Medical research says that with dehydration and starvation causes damage to your insides and several different MAJOR Organs. For each day that the clock ticks as she is starved to death her insides are being damaged. So even when ( and I say when) the feeding tubes are replaced the damage that has been done each day and precious minute that was spent in starvation,may not be a step forward for what we want. Also, why is that we, as Americans are worried about starving this one woman to death that has done nothing but be alive, and not at the expense of our tax paying monry but yet we dont protest that there are convicted killers, and molesters on death row that have been there for years and will remain there, at our expensse. People, put your energy to something that is notgoing to save but one woman but also that will help relieve the burden of several thousand dollars. Also, Y hasnt there been a press confrence with Terri Present so that way the whole nation can see what "condition" she is in. May god have mercy on those people responsaible for the premeditated murder of this one helpless woman.

Posted by: A PROUD PARENT at March 21, 2005 2:17 PM

I am glad to see that our government is taking a look at this case in question. It is, to me, a look into the quality of life and the rights of the disabled. I believe that we are born in this great country with rights and regardless of handicap we should maintain those rights. Terri has had no representaion other than her greedy husband to speak out for her. I believe his intentions are shaded by her trust fund otherwise why would he not let her parents resume care of her and grant her a divorce. There are too many unanswered questions and she is in the position she needs some one to stand up for her and her right to live.

Posted by: Stephie at March 21, 2005 4:17 PM

I do not know..Is there a statute of limitations on attmpted murder? If Terri's collapse was attempted murder , can the State of Florida be charged as accomplice since the parents began petioning the courts in 1993 ( when Michael willfully withheld medical treatment from Terri)of their suspicion of Michael's involvement and their evidence of him willfully putting Terri in harms way repeatedly over the past 15 years all WITH sanction of the FLA courts. In other words, the courts knew of the evidence and suspicion, but always ruled to dismiss the information, nor did the court report and suspicious evidence and alert any investigatory agencies.
Now the Schindlers, on the other hand, DID. Repatedly..

Could the State of Fla and its Courts be found criminally negligent or in the very least civally liable.??
Lawyers...?

Posted by: JMarley at March 21, 2005 5:09 PM

I hope the attorney general will check into Terri's cival rights as a disabled adult. I think the system has let her and her family down. I also hope the attorney general will look into Judge Greer and the Sheriff Rice. Thank god for this site for keeping us informed, thank you boggers!

Posted by: adrienne at March 21, 2005 6:37 PM

When do we start killing people with alzheimers? They don't have a good quality of life. What about mentally retarded people? Who decides who lives and who dies?
I will tell you...God!!!! Terri is not on life support. She is not in a coma. She is not brain dead. She is a "person" being starved to death. We would die the same horrible death if we were not allowed to have food and water.
Did Terri tell her "so-called" husband that if she was on a feeding tube, starve her to death? She may have said don't keep me alive on life support. I have said the same thing to my husband. But this is totally different.
For all you people that are okay with this because of this questionable husband claiming she wanted this, wake up!
What happened for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health? This man lives with another woman and has had two children with her. As far as I am concerned he lost all guardianship when he began committing adultry.
And to "You People are Idiots", no one has been pumping artificial life in her. She breathes on her own. She is awake. She can even eat a liquid diet by mouth...until her concerned husband wanted a feeding tube. And yes, the nurses agreed to that most likely so she wouldn't have to be hand-fed. We wouldn't want to over burden that husband of hers! God help us, because this is just a sample of more things to come!

Posted by: sandy at March 22, 2005 3:59 PM

[I just made your comment disappear.]

Posted by: Sorry, but you are idiots at March 23, 2005 3:23 PM

[I just made your comment disappear]

Posted by: Please explain it at March 23, 2005 3:32 PM