« Terri Schiavo's Parents Will Make a Statement to the Press at 1 PM at the Woodside Hospice | Main | How to Contact Florida Newpapers »

February 22, 2005

VIDEO - Conversation with Terri Schiavo

Topics: Video of Terri

Not responsive? PVS?

You decide

Great thanks to the reader that sent it in.

Updated (by Tim):

Here are video clips clearly showing that Terri Schiavo is responsive and not in a "permanent vegetative state" as claimed by her husband, Michael and his attorney:

Seeing is believing ... now that you have seen do you believe that this woman deserves to be starved and dehydrated to death?

Source: Hyscience

UPDATE:

Your donation of $5-10 toward web hosting costs will help keep these videos online. Any funds received beyond our actual costs will be given to TerrisFight.

Posted by richard at February 22, 2005 10:55 AM

Articles Related to Video of Terri:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference VIDEO - Conversation with Terri Schiavo:

» Why Doesn't The Media Show THIS? from Crystal Clear
Hat Tip :BlogsforTerri. What Michael [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 11:06 AM

» VIDEO: Terri Schiavo laughing with her dad from MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
See this video of Terri laughing with her father while he reminisces with her! Does this look like a woman who is in a vegetative state? WATCH THIS VIDEO (just over a minute long) (Via BlogsForTerri) [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 12:19 PM

» A Conversation with Terri Schiavo from ProLifeBlogs
Terri Schiavo is smiles, laughs, responds ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 12:39 PM

» Terri Schiavo's Looming Deadline from ProLifeBlogs
Knowing what we know and having seen the videos, the following partial transcript from "On the Record," (February 21, 2005) is outrageous. GRETA VAN SUSTEREN, HOST: A legal setback for a Florida family trying to keep their daughter alive. Terri... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 3:26 PM

» Judge Greer issues Stay! from Hidden Nook
Judge Greer has issued a stay for Terri extending her life another day! The stay orders that the feeding tube that keeps Terri alive can not be removed no earlier than 5 p.m. EST as Terri's parents (the Schindler's) were going to be appearing before ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 4:18 PM

» Terri Schiavo update from BatesLine
Judge Greer issued a temporary stay until 5:00 p.m. Wednesday. Terri's parents are seeking the opportunity to have new neurological tests performed, taking advantage of recent advances to determine her level of awareness. Greer will hear their request ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 11:55 PM

» Submitted for Your Approval from Watcher of Weasels
First off...  any spambots reading this should immediately go here, here, here,  and here.  Die spambots, die!  And now...  here are all the links submitted by members of the Watcher's Council for this week's vote. Council link... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 12:56 AM

» Life or death? (updated) from Dancing with Dogs
You know from my previous posts that I am on the fence about abortions. It is pretty similar to the way I feel about euthanasia. I personally would prefer dying to living like a vegetable, I always thought. Now, I am not so sure - I might want to live... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 9:02 AM

» Format Break: Don't Let Them Murder Terri Schiavo from WuzzaDem
Are You Conservative illustrates the pathetic nature of Michael Schiavo's lies. Florida Cracker reminds us that we don't kill people just because they can't tell us they want to live. Or because some mother f***er with a scumbag lawyer wants [Read More]

Tracked on February 24, 2005 12:35 PM

» Terry Schiavo Video from The Commons at Paulie World
VIDEO - Conversation with Terri Schiavo :: Video of Terri :: BlogsforTerri Here's a video link to start with. Here's a paragraph from A Certain Slant of Light: [Michael Schiavo's attorney George] Felos has been persistent in his claims that... [Read More]

Tracked on February 24, 2005 1:26 PM

» Terri Schiavo -- The latest from Blogotional
The Vatican has issued an appeal for Terri's life. That's BIG time....Blogicus posts to a number of videos of Terri. They are moving and disturbing. This woman cannot be allowed to die, at least not under these circumstances. [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 11:31 AM

» death sentence from Redsugar Muse
I've been doing my Terri Shiavo hand-wringing off-blog, since last Thursday, when this guy convinced me to watch the videos. I'm not planning to quote any of said hand-wringing here, for the sake of re-reading my own words (not even... [Read More]

Tracked on March 21, 2005 2:04 PM

Comments

The link is broken. (There's an extra exclamation point at the end.) I tried to post a fixed copy of the link, but it didn't work right.

Posted by: Ed "What the" Heckman at February 22, 2005 11:29 AM

Hey! We need to post that video on a video blog site! I am thinking The Daily Recyler (www.dailyrecycler.com/blog) would be perfect! (since it has credibility as a blog site and is set up for video)

What do you guys think?

Posted by: Hidden Nook at February 22, 2005 12:01 PM

I just can't stop crying after seeing this video. Especially knowing that her feeding tube is probably being removed right at this moment.

Posted by: WriteWingNut at February 22, 2005 12:07 PM

Good idea, Hidden Nook; I just emailed it to Daily Recycler. Keep your fingers crossed that they put it up!

Posted by: Beth at February 22, 2005 12:27 PM

Try right clicking and Saving As.

I will also have it up shortly at:

Posted by: Juan Schoch at February 22, 2005 2:36 PM

Terry Schiavo has the right to die, bottom line. All anyone needs to do is put themselves in Terry's shoes. Can anyone honestly say that you wish to be a burden on your spouse, children, and parents for 15 years, which could last for many more? It is just plain common sense. How foolish can you be? Can anyone honestly say to themselves, "Yes, if something happens to me, I want to be fed through a tube in my stomach, and have people change my menstrual pads and diapers until I am old and simply die of old age?" or "Yes, I love my family SO MUCH that I want them to spend the rest of their lives taking care of me instead of living their own lives."

Furthermore, I think it's absolutely disgusting for her parents to take this video and let it get into the hands of the public. I, for one, and I certainly know that I'm not alone in my position, would not want a video of me in that state being posted on the internet for all to see. And people, really, are you that niave and narrow that you actually think that short clip of video actually depicts what Terry is like on a full day? Did everyone just forget that there is 4 hours of other video of Terry NOT responding to stimuli that her parents just don't want the public to see, so certain people will all follow like sheep and support them?

Her parents are keeping her around simply for their own selfish reasons. They are kidding themselves. Yes, I understand that it must be absolutely horrendous to have this happen to a child they loved so deeply. They are holding onto a mere string of hope, which only allows them not to actually have to grieve the loss of their daughter. They are only temporarily deflecting the situation, so they do not have to go through the grief of losing Terry. They are the ones that need to let this go for their own sake and Terry's.

How many of you people who support keeping Terry alive are guilty of putting your family dog to sleep? Your dog certainly cannot tell you if they are in pain, and if they want you to euthanize them or not. I'll bet so many of you two-faced right-wing activists have euthanized your family pets for less than what is now afflicting Terry.

Common sense tells us that letting her go is what any human being who loves their family would want. I certainly don't think Terry would approve now if she knew how it has torn her family apart, and she certainly would be humiliated if she knew that this video of her was being posted on websites that are created and run by niave people who most certainly don't respect her wishes. And for those of you who think that letting her die was not your wish, just think about pure common sense, oh, and also that that is what our American Judicial system has repeatedly ruled on this case over and over again.

So go ahead, rebutt and get mad, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts, that my post here will get many angry, adolescent responses, in which the authors will not have a leg to stand on, that they will have to resort to name calling. Go ahead, give it your best shot.

Posted by: kim at February 24, 2005 2:40 PM

If Terry's parent want to take care of her for the rest of their lives, that's their business, not our's. As far as Terry's right to live, has anyone asked her? Or made any attempt to see if she wants to live or not? I doubt it. As a matter of fact, and law, the question of Terry's rights are in the hands of her guardian, and if there is some questionable dealings on his (the husband)part, then, a judge should be the one to say what happens to her care. Certainly not you.

Sure, Terry has the right to die, and the right to live, but, neither you, or I, have the right to kill her, and that's what you want to do. Let a judge decide if there has been any wrong-doing by the guardian husband, then let him pay, if not, let God handle the business of life and death.

Posted by: Nelson at February 24, 2005 10:13 PM

Mr. Schoch,

Actually, I'm not aware of any "right to die."

Terri did not create any legal documents that indicated her wishes for medical treatment to preserve her life. There is no definitive evidence that she would want to be denied food and water in this circumstance. Given that we cannot say, we must rule on the side of life.

Your argument about not wanting to be a burden is not convincing. How exactly does society determine when one is a burden? You were a burden to your family when you were a child. You are a burden to your friends and family now, when your in a bad mood. If you lost your job or couldn't work you might be a burden to your family. Poor people, who get welfare checks, are a burden on the industrious in this country. Are those adequate criteria for ending your life? We don't discount someone's life because they are a burden.

I don't understand what you mean, when you imply that taking care of a family member would keep one from "living their own life." If we have close relations, then those relations define our lives. Loving and living with them in good times and in bad is what defines the quality of the relationship, not ones ability to always do what you want to do when you are with them. There is no guarentee in life to be free from burden, in fact history of the human condition should tell us to expect it. True friends and loved ones don't abandon each other in face of burden.

I'm sorry that your family relations are such that you would consider yourself a burden if your family members had to take care of you. Maybe you should ask them if they would rather you were dead then to take care of you. Would you consider it a burden to care for one of your own family if they were in Terri's condition?

Having to take care of someone that I love could never keep me from "living my own life." That person I'm caring for is part of my life. If they need my care, then giving that care is part of the life that is mine. I would bare any burden for any member of my family. The love and relationships are worth any physical, emotional, financial discomfort that I could experience. I would hope that any member of my family would do the same for me.

As far as the video being made public. I don't understand why you would consider it shameful to have such a video of yourself seen by others. But so what?

The video refutes the fact that she is in a persistent vegetative state. It makes no claims that she is active all the time or even most of the time. That doesn't really matter. What is of issue is that she has and can respond to stimuli. The video is proof of that. You presuppose that those who find the video convincing are ignorant and gullible. You make that judgement with little evidence, and it reflects on your own ability to judge.

Posted by: Harry Campbell at March 16, 2005 4:29 PM

... Mr. Schoch... cont.

I'm sure the family has and continues to grieve the loss of so much of the life that Terri would have had. It is only your opinion that they and Terri have no ability to enjoy the life that Terri does have now. I think it is perfectly legitimate for them to desire and cherish the life that Terri has. Who are you, or who is anyone to say wether that life is now worth living? Again, we don't turn our backs on friends and loved ones just because they don't or can't meet our expectactions. Your insistence that it would be better for them if they "let this go" indicates to me how you fail to appreciate the relationship that these people feel with their daughter. Your fundamental understanding of love and relationships is different. That doesn't invalidate the understanding that Terri's family has.

Your pet euthanasia argument is simply ignorant. You seem to be implying that because one might euthanize a pet without the pet's consent, we should be fine with euthanizing people without their consent. People are not morally equivalent to animals - period. We simply do not put value in the life of an animal that we do for a person...enjoy your hamburger at lunch today.

I find your notion of "common sense" disturbing. Common sense would tell us to value her life more highly than you would. Thankfully you don't get to speak for Terri.

The outcry about this issue is because people are convinced that the "American Judicial system" - which in this case seems to be one single judge over and over - has gotten this one wrong, and needs to be corrected.

You yourself have resorted to name-calling and derision of those who come to different conclusions on this issue. The fact is that your own premises and arguments are not above juvenile. I've tried to address them seriously and judiciously which is more courtesy than you have offered. Now I'm going to be not so kind, though I say this without a hint of anger: In considering what you have to say, Mr. Schoch it seems clear that you are self-centered, prone to jumping to conclusions, seeking confrontation for amusement, probably a little immature and certainly lacking in appreciation of deep human relationship.

Posted by: Harry Campbell at March 17, 2005 10:05 AM