« SCHIAVO CASE BOLSTERED BY SURPRISE FILING | Main | Internet Traffic Overwhelms TerrisFight.org »

February 23, 2005

Terri Schiavo Update - DCF jumps in

CLEARWATER -- A state circuit judge Wednesday extended until 5 p.m. Friday the stay keeping Terri Schiavo's feeding tube intact, saying he needed time to consider more arguments from her parents from her parents that she should undergo new medical tests and that her husband should be dismissed as her guardian.

Meanwhile the Florida Department of Children & Families moved to intervene in the legal battle over the life of the brain-damaged woman.

Details of the agency's involvement in the case were not immediately available; Circuit Judge George Greer denied a DCF attorney an opportunity to speak at the afternoon hearing.

George Felos, who represents Terri Schiavo's husband Michael, criticized the DCF move, saying it "reeks of the intervention of politics into the case and is an affront to the court."

Gibbs countered that there are serious allegations of abuse in the case.

The DCF involvement came hours after Gov. Jeb Bush told reporters he was seeking a means to intervene in the case.

Source: The Associated Press

Posted by tim at February 23, 2005 4:13 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Terri Schiavo Update - DCF jumps in:

» http://whatattitudeproblem.blogs.com/home/2005/02/terri_schiavo_u.html from What Attitude Problem?
Terri Schiavo Update: Feeding tube stays in until Friday A state circuit judge Wednesday extended until 5 p.m. Friday the stay keeping Terri Schiavo's feeding tube intact, saying he needed time to consider more arguments from her parents from her [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 4:48 PM

» DCF jumps in Terri Case! from Hidden Nook
It looks like the government is finally taking noticed. I also see that CNN is correctly reporting the story as well (which is a good thing seeing as most of the Media labeled Terri as "brain dead"). The intervention of DCF (Department of Children & ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 5:21 PM

Comments

Dear Terry,

My father is the exact same state as you except he doesn't have a feeding tube. But I know that when I talk to him, he is "in there". I can't explain it, I just "know" it. I have asked him to pray for you, and from past experience, when my father prays, God listens. I believe you and my father are souls that are offering up your state in life for the salvation of many other souls, and I for one am greatful. God bless you, you are in my prayers...daily, and often hourly. Tell your parents I am praying for them also. God be with you...

Mary Kay Hastings
Park Ridge, Il

Posted by: Mary Kay Hastings at February 23, 2005 4:48 PM

If Terri was really "brain dead" how is it that she responds to her parents with her facial expressions???? Is that really a sign of a "vegetative state"???? The judges and doctors really ought to see their hyprocrisy in this

Posted by: Randy at February 24, 2005 9:56 AM

Are there laws against bigamy in Florida? If so, isn’t Michael Schiavo committing bigamy by continuing to be married to Terri and having a common law wife and children?

How can the courts allowed someone who is in the process of committing a crime continue to be the guardian of Terri and make the decision he has made?

Posted by: calo at March 23, 2005 9:51 AM