February 27, 2005
Help Terri Schiavo
The story of Terri Schiavo, a Florida woman who suffered brain damage in 1990, has been sensationalized following the efforts of her husband to end her life by starving her to death. Unfortunately, many well-intentioned individuals and government officials have received misinformation about her that have led them to believe she is a "vegetable", surviving only through artificial life support.
As a coalition of 200 internet bloggers (online writers), we appeal to the citizens of Florida and their elected representatives to consider the following facts about Terri Schiavo.
- Terri Schiavo is not a "vegetable" and is not "brain dead". She recognizes and responds to others and makes attempts to verbally communicate. [more here]
- Terri is not on life support but does receive food and water through a removable tube, which experts testify would not even be necessary if she were given therapy. This assisted feeding is a natural means of preserving life and not a medical act of life support or heroic measures.
- Twelve medical experts and nurses who cared for her confirmed these facts. Video available through BlogsforTerri.com shows Terri responding and interacting with others. Health care workers have testified under oath [here and here] that she expresses herself using words, such as "mommy" and "help me".
- Terri is a person with disabilities who thinks and expresses her moods and desires. She is loved by her family and responds to their visits with smiles and laughter.
- Terri Schiavo may be the victim of ongoing negligence and injustice [more here]. She has been denied therapy and rehabilitation by her guardian since 1991. Florida’s guardianship laws REQUIRE that these necessary services be given to her.
- In 1992, Terri’s husband Michael won $1.7 million in negligence lawsuit under the pretext of funding her rehabilitation and care. He testified, "I believe in the vows that I took with my wife. Through sickness, in health, for richer or poorer. I married my wife because I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm going to do that." Since that time, Terri has received no rehabilitation, all beneficial forms of stimulation (e.g. music) have been prohibited and basic health care, such as treatment for a life threatening urinary tract infection, has been purposefully withheld at Michael’s direction.
- Even though Terri’s husband has started a family of his own with another woman and their two children, he refuses to end his marriage to Terri or relinquish her care to her immediate family.
- Terri’s "collapse" has become controversial [more here, here and here]after a previously hidden bone scan surfaced in 2002 which revealed multiple fractures consistent with a traumatic event. To date, no investigation has been conducted to determine the source of Terri’s injuries [more here], but a radiologist gave a sworn statement that the date of those injuries would fall sometime near the time of her mysterious collapse.
- Remarkably, The Florida Courts have sided with Michael, accepting the testimony of two "expert witnesses", one of whom is a known advocate of "mercy killing", over that of twelve independent medical professionals (6 of them neurologists). Judge Greer admitted to not even reviewing their sworn statements.
- Without intervention by the Florida Governor and Legislature, Judge George Greer is set to give Michael the legal empowerment to withhold food and water from his wife for the purpose of starving her to death.
- Terri Schiavo deserves to have medical tests and therapy. She does not deserve to be starved and dehydrated to death.
- Advancements in the understanding of brain activity and misdiagnosis and the recent recovery of a patient after 20 years in a persistent vegetative state, further calls into question any decision that would end the life of Terri Schiavo.
- Contact Florida’s Governor, Jeb Bush at email@example.com, and demand that he invoke Florida Statute 415.1051 to provide protective custody until investigations into abuse and neglect can be carried out.
- Contact Florida Senate at www.myflorida.com and ask them to institute an immediate moratorium on withholding assisted nutrition and hydration until Florida can adopt a new standard of testing protocols for brain-injured patients.
- Contact Florida’s House of Representatives at www.myfloridahouse.com and ask them to pass legislation that would forbid the removal of food and water without the informed consent of the patient.
- Visit www.terrisfight.org and see for yourself the woman who has been called a house plant by her husband’s attorney and why
- Get a Protective Medical Decisions Directive from the International Anti-Euthanasia task force at www.internationaltaskforce.com and make your medical treatment desires known to your family and friends. You don’t have to be starved or dehydrated to death simply because your life is effected by disability.
BlogsForTerri is a coalition of over 200 webloggers who regularly write publish articles on the internet supporting Terri Schiavo and the Schindler family.
Posted by tim at February 27, 2005 09:52 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Help Terri Schiavo:
Tracked on February 27, 2005 02:05 PM
» Stop the Death Sentence from In Hoc Signo Vinces
Imagine dying of thirst. Many of you already know that Terri Schiavo has essentially been given three weeks to live. Judge Greer declared Friday that, unless a higher court intervenes, Michael Schiavo will be allowed to remove her feeding tube... [Read More]
Tracked on February 27, 2005 06:46 PM
A moment ago, I sent this email to Gov. Bush:
While I can empathize easily with those who see Terri's condition as both hopeless and horrifying, I think the option of killing her through dehydration is brutal and beyond contempt.
If it turns out that steps must be taken to end her life, then please do what you can to see that it be by the painless route of lethal injection. If killers in our society are spared the agony of a slow death, shouldn't she be offered the same option?
It is hypocritical in the extreme to withdraw her nutrition, thinking that this will "let nature take its course." Depriving her of fluids and food is an active act of homicide, and if a judge in Florida is going to authorize her killing, at least let it be merciful in its administration.
God bless you in your attempts to serve your God and your state.
John Dallas Bowers,
Posted by: John Dallas Bowers at February 27, 2005 11:16 AM
Has someone scanned the actual full paged ad that is running today? This blog and the rest of bloggers for Terri are doing phenomenal and consistent work getting word out about the extensive misinformation and specifics mentioned in this travesty and I would be interested in using a picture of the actual ad in today's paper. If it is available,could someone please send me or provide a link to it.
Posted by: Crystal Clear at February 27, 2005 01:24 PM
Ok fellow bloggers, here http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/blog/index.html
is another opportunity to help a newspaper Op-Ed be held accountable...Also can be reached via my own blog
Posted by: Crystal Clear at February 27, 2005 03:39 PM
Posted by: Max Goss at February 27, 2005 06:42 PM
As written in an article I read
It is misleading to say that withholding her nourishment and water will be merciful and just be "Letting her go". The truth be that keeping food and water from a conscious healthy person that Terri is will be "Making her go"
There is a difference.
Posted by: JoMarley at February 28, 2005 09:53 PM
Let Terries parents be in control of her life. The husband just wants the settlement money. Her parents truly love her,unconditionally.
Posted by: P. Calder at March 18, 2005 09:50 PM
If the Republican Leaders (of which we
are party members) do not stand up with
some BACKBONE and save this life, they
will suffer at the polling booth next
Posted by: Mason & Patty Gathwright at March 19, 2005 12:49 AM
Dear Mr. Bush:
This letter to you is regarding invoking Florida Statute 415.1051 to provide protective custody until investigations into abuse and neglect can be carried out regarding Teri Schiavo. I understand at this time, Terri's "collapse" has become controversial after a previously hidden bone scan surfaced in 2002, which revealed multiple fractures consistent with a traumatic event. To date, no investigation has been conducted to determine the source of Terri's injuries, but a radiologist gave a sworn statement that the date of those injuries would fall sometime near the time of her mysterious collapse.
Judge Greer's decision to give Michael Schiavo's the legal empowerment to withold food and water from his wife for the purpose of starving her to death is to willfully MURDER a woman who he has not fully given opportunity to visually observe, is just that.... MURDER.....how someone in his position could, without fully looking at the facts at hand.,i.e., any recent responses steming from videos of Terri's interactions with family and friends is something he will have to answer for one day...if not in this life (VOTERS)..he will have to answer to the almighty Father for playing God.
If I were in his shoes, not as a judge, but another human being to another human being in the middle of this controversy, I would have to visually see what others are saying is true before I would allow someone to kill someone. How can he sit back and not get all the evidence that could be given to him visually before being the one to say it is ok to take someone's life. No rehabilitation is allowed???? Obviously, the husband has moved on with his life, and chooses to not have to deal with this other burden any longer, his wife Teri Schiavo...It is I am sure too much trouble now for him. Isn't it convienent that he (the husband) not only has this tremendous amount of resources that stem from her condition (receiving $1.7 million) in negligence lawsuit under the pretext of funding her rehabilitation and care, but now has another woman and two children....What about Terri? Mr. Schiavo's testimony, quote, "I believe in the vows that I took with my wife. Through sickness, in health, for richer or poorer. I married my wife because I lover her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm going to do that." Since that time, Terri has received no rehabilitation, alll beneficial froms of stimulation (e.g. music) have been prohitibed and basic health care, such as treatment for a life threatening urinary tract infection , has been purposefully withheld at Michael's direction. Does she not have the right of access to those funds to further her recovery that medical EXPERTS...12 to be exact, who personnally have cared for Terri, have said she is not in a permanent vegetative state?? This is a travisity. Who better to do away with you than your husband who no longer needs to have you hanging on? LOOK AT THE LACY MURDER? You sir, among the rest of this country, are all familiar with that self-centered, egomaniac who so-called LOVED HIS WIFE AND UNBORN CHILD. Just another prime exmaple of a SO-CALLED CARING HUSBAND MURDERING HIS WIFE AND UNBORN CHILD FOR HIS OWN BENEFIT.
Since Mr. Schiavo refuses to end his marriage to Terri or relinquish her care to her immediate family, is he wanting his wife to die so that he will not lose any monetary gained from his lawsuit? Why else would he not want to relinquish her care to people who have nothing to gain other than keeping her alive and DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO DO BEFORE GIVING UP the hope and fight? TERRI'S PARENTS HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN BUT TO LOVE AND BE LOVED BY TERI....SO CALLED CARING AND LOVING HUSBANDS HAVE EVERTHING TO GAIN BY GIVING UP...1.7 MILLION TO BE EXACT.
Health care workers have testified under oath that she expresses herself using words as "mommy" and "help me." Let me ask you sir, what if she isn't brain dead and is trying to tell us? Are you willing to live with the fact that you and others who have said she must go are WRONG? Would it not be more beneficial to all concerned to allow those benefits to Terri to be used first to determine that there is "NO HOPE." ?? Stranger things have happened....Christians refer to these strange happenings as MIRACLES.
Teri Schiavo deserves to have medical tests and therapy. She does not deserve to be starved and dehydrated to death based on the information now coming out and getting out to the public via the internet. Advancements in the understanding of brain activity and misdiagnosis and the recent recovery of a patient after 20 years in a persistent vegetative state, further calls into question any decision that would end the life of Terri Schiavo.
Will you see this letter to you?? Probably not, but my hope in writing to you is that what matters to you and others involved in this do what is morally right for everyone concerned and looking out for Terri's best interest. Would anyone want to be given up on if there was just that small possibility, even that very small possibility, life is existing in a person who can't verbally or physically express it to someone??
Thank you for your time.
Posted by: P. Whiting at March 19, 2005 03:51 PM