« Gov. Bush Mandated By Statute To Remove Schiavo Judge | Main | Email from Bobby Schindler: Responds to article in Tampa Tribune »

February 20, 2005

Mainstream Media still gets it WRONG

From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Early this week, the 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland or Pinellas Circuit Judge George W. Greer could end her parents' seven-year legal battle to keep their daughter alive, paving the way for her husband to carry out what he says were her wishes and remove the feeding tube that sustains her unconscious state.

THIS is unconscious??? I say it's unconscionable.

Channel 10 5:30 PM Clip - 1 - Dr. Hammesfahr coverage on Terri Schiavo case

Channel 10 5:30 PM Clip - 2 - Dr. Hammesfahr coverage on Terri Schiavo case

Channel 10 5:00 PM Clip Part 1 - Dr. Hammesfahr coverage on Terri Schiavo case

Channel 10 5:00 PM Clip Part 2 - Dr. Hammesfahr coverage on Terri Schiavo case

If so, his lawyer says Michael Schiavo would be authorized to have the feeding tube disconnected immediately.

Or either court could hand Bob and Mary Schindler something they have been successful at gaining in the past: more time to pursue other appeals.

In seven years, the Schindlers have won few court rulings. Again and again, Greer and the Lakeland appeals court have agreed their son-in-law provided convincing proof that his wife would have rejected the feeding tube that has kept her alive since she suffered a heart attack in 1990, enduring precious minutes without oxygen.
As usual, only one side of the story, and not the side that would spare her life.

Maya Bell wrote the article. Maya Bell can be reached at 305-810-5003 or mbell@orlandosentinel.com.

Or, send a letter to the editor:

To be considered for publication, your letter should be brief and to the point and must include your name, address and daytime and evening telephone numbers. Letters of all lengths will be considered, but letters in the 200-250-word range or shorter are preferred. Letters also will be edited for facts, grammar and length.
We do not publish poetry, unsigned letters or letters under pseudonyms.

Send your comments to:

Letters to the Editor

Orlando Sentinel

633 N. Orange Ave.

Orlando, Fla. 32801-1349

or by fax to (407) 420-5286

or by e-mail to insight@orlandosentinel.com.

[Cross-posted at My VRWC]

Posted by beth at February 20, 2005 11:44 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Mainstream Media still gets it WRONG:

» MSM still gets it WRONG! from MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
From today's Orlando Sentinel: Early this week, the 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland or Pinellas Circuit Judge George W. Greer could end her parents' seven-year legal battle to keep their daughter alive, paving the way for her husband to car... [Read More]

Tracked on February 20, 2005 12:31 PM

» Frustrated from thebandwagon
I will not judge this mother and her decision... I will however judge this article written by Maya Bell at the Orlando Sentinel. Ms. Bell is propagating the same lies about Terri that have been told in the media since this case began. Too bad that th... [Read More]

Tracked on February 20, 2005 1:06 PM

» Telling the Truth about Terri Schiavo's Condition from LilacRose
When I have argued with people about this case, one tremendous obstacle is the overwhelming amount of misinformation there is... [Read More]

Tracked on February 20, 2005 9:47 PM

» Terri Schiavo, Judge George Greer, and The Persistent Vegetative State: What Judge Greer Doesn't Want You To Know from Hyscience
I was given the beautiful opportunity to learn how to swallow, speak, eat, and to continue with my life. I was treated by experts, a multidisciplinary medical team that had the experience to diagnose and rehabilitate me. All of these opportunities have... [Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2005 5:51 AM

Comments

I just sent my letter to the editor. I've been trying to track down this newspaper's ombudsman contact but can't find one anywhere. If someone could find out who the ombudsman is and how to contact them, we could flood them with letters of complaint about the one-sidedness of this story.

Posted by: WriteWingNut at February 20, 2005 12:28 PM

I am so frustrated. I can't imagine the frustration and helplessness the family feels. Did you read the other article Maya Bell wrote for the Orlando Sentinel today? Basically showing one family who made the decision to let their daughter die with "dignity" then saying the Schindlers should too...ARGH! I posted it on my blog with my toned down reaction. I just wanted to scream and shout and rant, but that doesn't ever seem to get the attention we need, right?

Posted by: Jody at February 20, 2005 1:12 PM

It's a coverup:

See -> http://eeng.net/eeng/ribbon/index.html

Posted by: Juan Schoch at February 20, 2005 2:07 PM

I keep asking the question to myself and others as to what happened to journalistic integrity, ethics, and responsible, factual, journsliam, etc. The rank lies and non-coverage of the salient facts in this case is beyond belief.

Posted by: Juan Schoch at February 20, 2005 2:38 PM