« Media repeats misrepresentations in Terri Schiavo case | Main | Protect Terri Schiavo »

February 25, 2005

I don't usually just post an entire newspaper column, instead, like most bloggers, I include some of it and the rest is my own comment about the article. However, in the case of Mr Grogan's article today in the Philadelphia Daily News, I'm making an exception - it's that important. I appreciate his honest and heart-felt assessment of Terri's and her parent's plight, and also his logic. I enjoyed it so much that I interupted my writing of this post, and telephoned him to tell him how much I deeply appreciated his column. I think that you should to, or at least email him. He's probably a busy guy later in the day when you'll be reading this. Besides, I had to leave a message on voicemail.

Sometimes even newspaper columnists change their minds.

In the matter of Terri Schiavo, the permanently brain-damaged former suburban Philadelphia woman caught in a life-and-death tug-of-war, this columnist has changed his.

I no longer so blithely believe Schiavo's feeding tubes should be pulled and her life allowed to end. I'm no longer so sure her parents do not deserve a say in their daughter's future. I no longer am totally comfortable assuming her husband, Michael, who now has two children by another woman, is acting unselfishly.

That's not to say I have changed my opinion about the right of all of us to die with dignity when life has lost all meaning. But for Terri Schiavo, who lingers in a Florida nursing home, the devil is in the details, uncomfortable details that raise sticky moral dilemmas.

Detail 1: Terry Schiavo is not dying. She is not being kept alive artificially. Her heart beats and lungs breathe without help. She cannot swallow food or water. Once the feeding tube is removed, she would slowly starve to death over days or weeks.

Detail 2: Schiavo is not comatose. Her eyes open, and she sometimes responds to stimuli. Doctors say there is no brain activity and her responses are simply reflexive. Her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler, want to believe otherwise.

Unanswered questions

Detail 3: The Schindlers think their daughter could benefit from physical therapy and might someday swallow on her own, but her husband, as her legal guardian, reportedly will not allow it. Which leads to an equally uncomfortable question: If Schiavo merely required spoon feeding instead of tube feeding, would anyone seriously be arguing to withhold food and water? Does not every human, no matter how incapacitated, deserve sustenance?

Detail 4: Unproven allegations that Schiavo might have suffered physical trauma immediately before her heart stopped for several minutes in 1990, leading to brain damage, have not been fully investigated. The Schindlers have long suggested their son-in-law strangled their daughter; Michael Schiavo's lawyer says the abuse allegations have never been substantiated. Before pulling the plug on this woman, don't these questions need to be fully answered?

The abuse allegations against Michael Schiavo may be nothing but scurrilous rumor spread to damage his credibility. But what if there is even a tiny chance he is guilty of abuse? Should such a person be in a position to decide this life-and-death issue?

Last month, I wrote that Michael Schiavo's wish should be granted and his wife allowed to die rather than suffer for years in what the courts have deemed a "persistent vegetative state." I still believe Terri Schiavo, if she were aware today, would instruct us to not make her linger on like this.

Undisputed devotion

But she is not aware and left no written directives. So we are left to guess her wishes. Last month, I said we could look inside our own hearts and know what she would want. Today, with the latest stay barring the removal of the feeding tube set to expire in hours, I am less confident making such assumptions.

Who best to decide? In the murky mess that this case has become, we are left with one unwavering truth: Over the last seven years of fighting, Terri Schiavo's parents have proved themselves nothing if not fiercely loyal, utterly committed parents. They might be misguided. They might be in denial. But no one can argue their devotion. They have not given up. They have not stopped caring. They have not stopped loving. Who are we, as a society, to tell them they must?

Clearly, Schiavo's husband has moved on to a new life, and who can blame him? It's been 15 long years. But parents cannot move on. Parents cannot give up. Their child will always be the precious gift they brought into the world.

If the Schindlers want to dedicate the rest of their lives and resources to caring for their brain-damaged daughter, if they want to shower her with attention and affection she likely will never recognize, who among us will tell them they cannot?

It won't be me.

Contact John Grogan at 610-313-8132 or jgrogan@phillynews.com. Read his recent work at http://go.philly.com/grogan.

Posted by richard at February 25, 2005 8:44 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference John Grogan | Second thoughts on Terri Schiavo: A Newspaper Columnist Changes His Mind:

» Changing Opinion for Terri Schiavo from Digital Brown-Pajamas
Maybe the tide is turning for Terri Schindler in the public's eyes. What Attitude Problem points us to this article (via BlogsForTerri) in the Philadelphia Enquirer by John Grogan, who has changed his mind about Terri's fate.I no longer so [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 11:01 AM

» Changing Minds from A Mom And Her Blog
I found this article at the Blogs For Terri website. It's written by a newspaper columnist who previously had written that he felt Terri's feeding tube should be removed. He's now having a change of heart. I'm also choosing to... [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 11:09 AM

» A potential bright light in the darkness of Terri's case from Blind Mind's Eye
But there's a new legal issue that arose Thursday. An attorney for Terri Schiavo's parents says the Department of Children and Families is seeking a 60-day stay on the removal of the woman's feeding tube while it investigates new... [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 11:36 AM

» After all the MSM Misinformation, This is Very We from J Rob's House of Opinions
Mr. Grogan is previously on record of favoring pulling Terri's feeding tube. Hopefully a certain judge will do the same. [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 12:24 PM

» Beyond the Gate from Wittenberg Gate
Columnist Changes His Mind on Terri SchiavoBlogs for Terri lead me to this column by John Grogan, a Philadelphia Inquirer columnist, as he explains why he has changed his mind about the Terri Schiavo case. (You need to subscribe to read the aricle, but... [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 2:12 PM

» Terri Schiavo execution set for March 18 from BatesLine
NOTE: Blogs for Terri has a fact sheet on Terri Schiavo's condition and the history of her legal situation. If you're just learning about Terri's situation, the fact sheet is the place to start. If you think the title of this entry is too melodramatic,... [Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 5:40 PM

» Columnist changes his mind on Terri Schiavo from Cao's Blog
This newspaper columnist has changed his mind « Media repeats misrepresentations in Terri Schiavo case | Main This is just a piece of a newspaper column that Richard from Hyscience posted on Blogsforterri. I thought it was very interesting; so... [Read More]

Tracked on March 2, 2005 4:19 AM

Comments

I just wanted to pass along a link that was sent to me last evening. This gentleman has the wrong idea about Terri and this case. Perhaps some commentators might want to clarify some of his misunderstandings...

Posted by: Donna at February 25, 2005 9:54 AM

Thanks, Donna. I posted a response.

Posted by: Sunnye at February 25, 2005 10:17 AM

I was glad to read of his change of mind- not willing to call it change of heart due to the last line of his column (...attention she will likely never recognize..) and glad he published it. I don't think anyone who has no direct or constant contact with Terri can judge what she can or cannot recognize, or evaluate her happiness. I also stopped reading and sent him an email. If the judge makes the decision to starve and dehydrate Terri until death, there is no going back. She needs to be turned over to the care of her family and not be under the control of a guardian who does not have her best interests at heart. (just look at the minimal care and lack of rehab she receives. She is in a HOSPICE facility not a nursing home. Hospice is usually used for people that have an expected lifespan of 6 months or so.She has no terminal disease, only a disability) At the very least, there are too many unanswered questions to let this tragedy happen.

Posted by: I hope. at February 25, 2005 10:48 AM

Articles such as this I believe are example of the tide turning in the MSM...Journalists and columnists know with the blogosphere is out here and there are many who are watching their words and facts for them,even if they don't watch their words. I think this blog and all of us blogging on behalf of Terri are doing an admirable job at holding journalists accountable for the power of their words.

Posted by: Crystal Clear at February 25, 2005 11:50 AM

Here is my letter to John Grogan.

Posted by: moge at February 25, 2005 7:38 PM