« A "Blog-In" for Terri! | Main | More Contacts »

February 18, 2005

Action Item: Blogging of Bobby Schindler Interview

Topics: Action Items

The "BlogsForTerri" interview with Bobby Schindler was conducted in behalf of all 100+ blogs in the organized group. The interview was by all of us and for all of us, and "BlogsForTerry" bloggers have helped to spread the Schindler's message all over the Internet.

As a next step bloggers are needed to take different questions and answers one by one, blog on them, and give all of us the links to pass around to blogs and readers alike. All of the questions and answers need to get blogged on, but each as a separate post. Once your post is received here other BlogsForTerri can help pass the post around the Internet.

The complete interview that was originally posted at Hyscience is below in the extended post.

What follows is the text of an interview with a frustrated brother speaking up about the way his sister has been treated, what his family has had to endure, and the very strange behavior of Michael Schiavo toward his sister and Terri's family.

Note: Links to all Terri Schiavo posts from "Blogs for Terri" are at the end of this post.

Following the press conference at the Woodside Hospice on Wednesday, Hyscience, ProLifeBlogs and Teknosis , in behalf of Blogs for Terri - interviewed Bobby Schindler, Terri Schiavo's brother. The questions and Bobby's answers in their entirety are as follows:

1. What is Terri's current health status? How is she holding up?

Physically Terri seems to be ok. However, we do not really know her true medical condition because Michael Schiavo, against court order, instructs all medical information to be withheld from our family. This has been going on since 1993. We are so incredibly frustrated that if we should inquire about Terri's health, we are told... "Michael has instructed us that we cannot tell you anything about Terri's condition". It's hard to imagine that any parent could be told that they are not allowed to know anything about their child's wellbeing, but this is what Michael Schiavo has been instructing the nurses since 1993.

2. How are you and the rest of your family doing?

Our family is holding up pretty good under the circumstances. I think we stay strong for Terri because she is staying strong for us, and showing an incredible iron will to live. We love Terri just the way she is and we have banded together as her family to fight with all that we have in order to stop this inhumane treatment she has been enduring at the hands of her 'husband'. My family will not stand by and watch a family member being starved to death by judicial order. It has been a long an arduous battle, but we'll never give up on Terri.

3. What impact has this had on your family?

We have been impacted in so many ways. Not only has this made our family stronger but our love for each other and for Terri has grown immensely. The hundreds of thousands of people we have heard from supporting Terri have made a huge impact on us. It has kept our faith strong and re-instilled our belief that there is true power in the lover and prayers of people everywhere. We have read heartbreaking stories of so many people in more tragic situations than ours, and that many people who have loved ones worse off than Terri that are truly scared by what is happening to her. We feel blessed to have the love and support of so many people we don't even know.

4. What message would you like to see bloggers communicate?

Terri's condition, from the beginning of this court battle, has been mischaracterized by the media. Although the court has sided with Michael Schiavo's two doctors at the original trial in January 2000 that Terri is in a PVS condition, there have been at least twelve doctors since then that have testified to the court adamant that Terri is NOT in a PVS. Additionally, these doctors have testified that with proper therapy Terri could improve significantly, be taught to speak, and learn to eat food again, which would then mean Terri would not need the assistance of a feeding tube.

Also, all the abuse/neglect that have been ongoing since 1993. It astounds me that the court allows Michael Schiavo, as Terri Schaivo's legal guardian, to treat Terri in the manner that Terri is being treated. From not permitting Terri to go outside for over four years, to ordering Terri's nurses to pull her shades completely shut in her room. You can read the >list of abuses at www.zimp.org/abuse

Lastly, state agencies that are in place to protect people like my sister are grossly failing their responsibilities to protect vulnerable adults like my sister.

There has never been an investigation conducted to see if Michael Schiavo attacked Terri the night she collapsed, despite the overwhelming evidence that has been gathered the last two years suggesting that something horrible happened to Terri that night (Please visit www.zimp.org/stuff). For example, there exists a bone scan taken in 1991, illustrating broken bones throughout Terri's body, but only was recently discovered in November 2002, and no agency in the state of Florida seems to care how this occurred, and that Terri's husband might be the reason Terri's in the condition that she is in today.

These state agencies are also permitting the abuse/neglect of my sister regardless of numerous Florida Statutes that are clearly being violated. These agency have a responsibility and a duty to protect vulnerable adults, but for some unexplained reason they will not intervene in my sister situation

5. What can bloggers do to support the Schindler family and Terri?

It might sound like a cliche, but getting the truth out about Terri's condition, open an investigation to see what happened the night Terri collapsed, and to investigate all these abuses and neglect that are ongoing.

6. Have blogger made a noticeable impact in the fight for Terri?

Yes, my family is getting flooded with emails asking how to help and offering prayers of support. I am also seeing the increase of acitivity and stories that are being written in support of my sister. As I said, this has been very uplifting and inspiring for my family to read and we are so grateful for the time every blogger is taking to bring out the truth and save my sister. I'm also grateful for the time everyone is taking to write and contact people that can help save my sister. I only wish that I was able to respond to everyone. Maybe when we save Terri, I can sit down and thank each and every person that has taken the time to email my family supporting my sister's life.

7. How often do you interact with Terri? Could you describe this
interaction?

We interact with Terri several times a week. When we visit with Terri she is always happy to see us. She lights up when she hears my mom's voice, beginning with a huge grin and laugh, then by trying so hard to talk. No doctor in the world can ever convince my family that Terri isn't resonding to us when we visit her and that Terri isn't trying to communicate with us. It is sad that we are unable to understand what she is trying to say as she desperately needs speech therapy. She has not had any speech therapy in over twelve years. She usually gets tired and then just listens as we tell her about the latest family events. She sometimes cries when we say we are leaving.

9. What can individuals do in FL (locally) and through-out the world to help Terri? Is there one specific person bloggers and blog readers should concentrate on contacting?

That is a good question. We will soon post on Terri's web, www.terrisfight.org and with Blogs for Terri, an action plan that people can do to help save Terri. I have to think that if we get a groundswell of enough people contacting the Governor, the Florida legislatures, the media, and anyone that is in a position to help, we can show that starving an innocent human being to death is wrong, and absolutely inhumane and it can't be tolerated. Also, I hope that we can find out one day what happened to Terri the night she collapsed.

10. What legal avenues are the Schindler's presently pursuing?

There are several valid legal issues that are or will be in front of Judge George Greer. Terri's web lists all the present legal actions.

11. What is the plan if these avenues fail?

Last week a story was published in the New York Times about new brain scan imagining that could help persons like Terri. This news came out of no where and many of us feel it was a gift from God. We have to keep praying that God will continue to protect Terri and that through Him; we will find a way to save my sister. There is no doubt that if any member of my family was in Terri's place, she would be fighting just as hard for us. As I said, Terri is clearly showing her tremendous will to live, and has never given up on us. My family will never give up on Terri.

- And never will Blogs for Terri and their thousands of readers!

Link to the Blogs for Terri News Aggregator
Link to all Hyscience posts on Terri Schiavo

Posted by richard at February 18, 2005 11:01 AM

Articles Related to Action Items:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Action Item: Blogging of Bobby Schindler Interview:

» Bobby Schindler Interview from Sounding the Trumpet
Richard, from Hyscience (One of the main players in the "Blogburst for Terri") had an exculsive "blogger" interview with Bobby Schindler (Terri Schiavo's brother) yesterday. Here are a few of my favorite parts of the interview, and the parts that hav... [Read More]

Tracked on February 18, 2005 5:17 PM

» http://vinceautmorire.typepad.com/vince_aut_morire/2005/02/_the_new_blogsf.html from Vince Aut Morire
The new BlogsforTerri site has an interview with Bobby Schindler, Terri's brother. [Read More]

Tracked on February 18, 2005 6:09 PM

» Blogging for Terri from ChristWeb
Bobby Schindler Interview Following the press conference at the Woodside Hospice on Wednesday, Hyscience, ProLifeBlogs and Teknosis , in behalf of Blogs for Terri - interviewed Bobby Schindler, Terri Schiavo's brother. The questions and Bobby's answers... [Read More]

Tracked on February 18, 2005 11:02 PM

» Blogging for Terri from ChristWeb
More from this interview with Terri's brother: What message would you like to see bloggers communicate? Terri's condition, from the beginning of this court battle, has been mischaracterized by the media. Although the court has sided with Michael Schiav... [Read More]

Tracked on February 19, 2005 1:00 AM

» Interview with Bobby Schindler from MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
FROM BLOGSFORTERRI.COM Following the press conference at the Woodside Hospice on Wednesday, Hyscience, ProLifeBlogs and Teknosis, on behalf of Blogs for Terri - interviewed Bobby Schindler, Terri Schiavo's brother. The questions and Bobby's answer... [Read More]

Tracked on February 19, 2005 4:29 AM

» Tsk Tsk...Maya Bell from Crystal Clear
From Courts Expected to Settle [Read More]

Tracked on February 20, 2005 5:15 PM

» Do Me A Favor from Dean's World

Please click here and read this.

Are yo...

[Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2005 11:06 PM

» Do Me A Favor from Dean's World

Please click here and read this.

Are yo...

[Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2005 11:06 PM

» Do Me A Favor from Dean's World

Please click here and read this.

Are yo...

[Read More]

Tracked on February 21, 2005 11:06 PM

» My annual nod to the Fairness Doctrine from Signifying Nothing
Although I don’t really buy the arguments of the “keep Terri Schiavo alive” brigade, Dean Esmay thinks her parents have a fairly strong case; read their side here. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything on Michael’s side except this statement f... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 12:44 AM

» Blogs for Terri from damnum absque injuria
What he said. Now go.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 1:11 AM

» No Stay for Terri from LilacRose
Unless someone (Governor Bush, for instance) steps in, Terri Schiavo will be denied food and water starting at 1:00pm today.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 1:45 AM

» Terris Last Chance from In the Bullpen
If you are not convinced Terri is worth saving, read an interview with Terris brother, Bobby Schindler. I pride myself in not being very emotional but I must admit the interview choked me up. The Schindler family has never given up hope to save their ... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 2:09 AM

» Blogs for Terri from Calblog
Unless there is further action, my reading of the court documents shows that Once again, Terri Schindler's husband has court authority to start starving her to death at 10 am Pacific Time, today, February 22. I blogged about Schindler-Schiavo about... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 5:19 AM

» Are Interested In Saving Terri Schiavo from Vista On Current Events
The following is from the BlogsforTerri website. They need to place a prominent advertisement in The St. Petersburg Times to get effective local support. Please help if you can, the clock has run out. The feeding tubes may soon be removed and Terri all... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 8:47 AM

» On birthdays... and Life & Death! from The Black Republican
Today is my birthday...44! My feelings on birthdays tend to conform to that of most people: The first 21 were anticipated because there was always some benefit (real or perceived) to attaining that next age; the next 10-15 (to about... [Read More]

Tracked on February 22, 2005 2:24 PM

» Interview With Bobby Schindler from The Political Teen
Dean Esmay wants you to read this.... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 6:24 AM

» Life or death? (updated) from Dancing with Dogs
You know from my previous posts that I am on the fence about abortions. It is pretty similar to the way I feel about euthanasia. I personally would prefer dying to living like a vegetable, I always thought. Now, I am not so sure - I might want to live... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 9:02 AM

» Assorted linkage from BatesLine
Dean Esmay is blogging about Bouguereau again. (NB: Artistic depiction of busty substances.) Dean's also blogging for Terri Schiavo: Please click here and read this. Come on. Are you all that certain you know all there is to know here that's important?... [Read More]

Tracked on February 23, 2005 8:39 PM

» Assorted linkage from BatesLine

Tracked on February 23, 2005 8:40 PM

» Let Terri Schiavo Live from Legacy Matters™

Since Terri was considering divorce before her heart attack, since a bone scan in 1991 show numerous injuries including a head injury suggestive of a history of physical abuse before and perhaps after her heart attack, since Michael has moved in wi...

[Read More]

Tracked on February 25, 2005 10:53 PM

» M.Schaivo/G.Greer, Ropes, Lamposts:  Some Assembly Required from Spatula City BBS!
Barring a miracle of some sort, it would seem that Terri Schiavo has three weeks left to live.  Asshat extraordinaire and pathetic excuse-for-a-circuit-court-judge Georgie Greer graciously  ruled - as he... [Read More]

Tracked on February 26, 2005 7:34 PM

Comments

I have just posted an excerpt of the interview with commentary from myself at the end. The link is:

Thanks!

Posted by: WriteWingNut at February 18, 2005 4:30 PM

What in the world is happening in this country?

All Terri needs is a tube to feed her. It's not much to ask for is it?

The outcome of Terri's case will have a far more reaching effect than any of us can imagine. Terri is not the only disabled person who receives nourishment from a feeding tube.

I pray everyday for Terri and her family.

Posted by: Abraham at February 18, 2005 4:35 PM

I have to say I am totally ashamed of the way that Michael has acted. I wish I could ask him 2 questions, the first being is would he allow someone else to decide the fate of one of his children and the second would be When did God give him the power to decide another person's fate? It is inhumane to starve a person to death. She did not ask to be put in the state she is in and NO matter what she may appear to look like or capable of doing on the outside she is the same person on the inside.

Posted by: Ann Howe at February 23, 2005 8:57 PM